Format: DVD|Change

on 19 March 2008
I watched in horror last night as a collection of unfortunate actors were dragged through a pitiable script with some of the worst directing I have seen from a film on general release.
The choice of music was hard to endure and had nothing whatever to do with the film and was lifted wholesale from old 1950s Pathe News background soundtracks (that's probably being unfair to Pathe).
I have most of Colin Firth's work on DVD and he has never failed to impress (I bought the film to add to my CF collection). I have to believe this film was a contractual commitment that he couldn't escape from, he must be so embarrassed. Do not buy this film, it is truly appalling.
Mr Mike Binder, hang your head in shame. Never heard of you before, never will again, please leave the film industry immediately.
on 26 September 2006
This was an extremely disappointing movie. It is nothing like 4 Weddings or Notting Hill. These were both well written comedies, and this was not well written or remotely funny. Only resemblence is they were set in London! I like Colin Firth, but even he was not on top form.

Don't want to say too much about the plot in case you do watch it though.....

Perhaps I should read other reviews in future and not go with what the film producer has said about his film...
on 10 September 2006
This film was disappointing... on both the technical and artistic sides

technically, this is a 4:3 TV movie convertion with pretty poor image quality. absolutely no subtitles, not even hearing impaired or close captionning. for foreigners, this might be a no-no.

artistically, I won't judge the film, but I have strong objections to the "catch phrase" on the DVD cover: this film has no relation to the films mentionned, apart from the action being set in London.

Colin firth fans will appreciate this, but comedy buyers should stick to bigger productions.

One last thing: Stephen Fry makes a very funny, but very short cameo (couple minutes onscreen tops), he is not really among the cast ofg the film...
on 26 November 2007
This film is in the best spirit of Richard Curtis' London rom-coms and features a stellar cast including Colin Firth and Stephen Fry. Mike Binder achieves a good mix of cute and complex, the story is well paced and doesn't deliver the predictable. Stephen Fry's depiction of the uncomfortable psycho analyst turned couples therapist unable to discuss sex openly, opposite an equally stiff Colin Firth and his very direct American partner, is one of the best ever comic treatments of transatlantic mis-communications. A very worthy film that deserves your attention, with a tub of Ben & Jerry's and a cup of Chai...
on 18 January 2007
I have to agree with the other reviews of this movie. It wasn't very funny, I laughed maybe once. The plot and storyline was disjointed at best. I never heard of this film before I found it for a very discounted price at a local retailer, and now I know why, I'm surprised Colin Firth even agreed to be in it, and he was the best part by far.
on 18 October 2006
I'm in full agreement with the previous reviewers. This was a boring film with no plot, weak humour and characters that you really couldn't believe in or care about. However on a more positive note I did catch up on some sleep and despite missing the end of the film I didn't bother to rewind it.
on 28 August 2012
Gambled and bought it as a wedding anniversary occasion. I'm pleased I did. Colin Firth, Jack Dee and others were enough to enable the ethics of wife swapping to be ignored.
on 23 February 2009
Do not touch with a barge pole, save your moeny, it's a waste of Colin Firth's abilities. Stephen Fry & Jack Dee have tiny cameo parts, not leads like the packaging would have you think. Dates back to 1999, not the 2007 on the outer sleeve.

If you are wondering why there is a Colin Firth film out on DVD that you've never heard of there is a reason. It stinks. Poor script, sub-sub-sub Woody Allen never-quite-meets Richard Curtis plot (so it's a right mess of styles), poor camera work, nasty soundtrack, awful techicals (shoddy titles, poor DVD package, the list goes on).

Some form of ego trip for the previously unheard-of Mike Binder as he stars & directs. If I ever see his name near a film again I'll steer well clear.

I'd give it no stars at all if the option was available. It wasted 90 mins of my life, and probably several weeks of Colin Firth's. I can only hope he was well paid for his pains.
on 15 February 2007
If you like Colin Firth and enjoy nothing better than to cuddle up on the sofa with your loved one and watch a good RomCom, then give this a wide birth as it will ruin your evening, much as it did mine. Mike Binder (who he?)wrote, directed and starred and obviously fancies himself as a modern day Woody Allen, but has none of his talent (and I don't even care for Woody all that much!). The script was wooden, the direction appalling and even the music and sound editing were terrible. Colin Firth, Jack Dee and Stephen Fry were the film's only redeeming features and I was left constantly wondering how on earth these talented people were persuaded into taking part in this flop of a film. Even they couldn't lift it off rock bottom though! I would be surprised if anyone ever reads this, but I feel better for having got this off my chest!
on 23 February 2009

If you are wondering why there is a Colin Firth film out on DVD that you've never heard of there is a reason. It stinks. Poor script, sub-sub-sub Woody Allen meets Richard Curtis plot (so it's a right mess of styles), poor camera work, nasty soundtrack, awful techicals (shoddy titles, poor DVD package, the list goes on).

Some form of ego trip for the previously unheard of Mike Binder as he stars & directs. If I ever see his name near a film again I'll steer well clear.