5.0 out of 5 stars A rare and beautiful sound.
I discovered this album by chance when I visited the Leonard Cohen website and the title track Blue Alert happened to be playing in the background. I ordered the album from the states and when it arrived I was blown away. The richness of Anjani's voice, the beauty of the minimal arrangements and the wonderful tell tell production with more than a hint of Cohen. A must...
Published on 7 April 2007 by Mr. Nigel Lacey

3.0 out of 5 stars female cohen
I wasnt sure what to expect of a singer I had never heard of but I knew had a close relationship with L.C. Her voice is well suited to Cohens style of song and she does a good job but there is definately not the ability to interpret the Cohen magic in the same way as the master himself. There is a certain "sameness" in the voice throughout all the songs which detracts...
Published on 28 Sep 2011 by M. S. Gilbert

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic, 27 Feb 2013
P. Nethercott "ManchePaul" (Manche, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Alert (Audio CD)
Wonderful voice, wonderful songs, wonderful words. Anjani created songs from poems and fragments of Leonard Cohen's work, and added music that was not his, and a voice that is the opposite. Utterly beautiful.Highlight songs: Half the Perfect World, Thanks for the Dance, No one after you. Bonus of a DVD of her performing some of the songs, with Cohen watching proudly in the background.

1.0 out of 5 stars Background drivel, 13 Nov 2006
Dr. S. J. Muller (Uppingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Alert (Audio CD)
This is a huge disappointment. I own everything Leonard Cohen's ever published, and I very much like Anjani's backing vocals on much of his work - but this is little more than vaguely pretty dinnerparty background music. The songs lack any individuality or identifiable melody or rythm - the lyrics are beautifully penned, but the musical delivery is desperately dull. They plod along one after another, barely distinguishable from one another even after repeated listenings. Very upsetting - it bewilders me that Cohen would have produced something so anodyne and unmemorable. A real shame and waste of the lyrics.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you need to know exactly where the middle of the road is... buy this album, 24 April 2007
PB (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Blue Alert (Audio CD)
Fans of Katie Melua will love this. Great voice, understated musical arrangements and certainly stronger lyrics than Katie's... and oh-so-dull.

I feel compelled to write a review as I bought this album on the back of an Amazon recommendation. Amazon made the recommendation as I am a fan of Jazz and Blues music. Well, this album is ersatz jazz; muzak to my ears. Very polished, but no vitality. If you are looking at this album because Amazon recommended it to you - think hard.

There is nothing specifically *wrong* with the album - it's main offence is that it is so deathly bland. I would fall asleep to this in an elevator. It has its market - and if Radio 2 is a bit progressive for your tastes, you may well like it. Personally, I just... zzzzzzz

*** I wrote the review to the asterisks, a few weeks ago. Since then, other reviewers have gently lampooned me (or themselves) on the original review. I felt I should listen to the album again and see if it would grow on me - perhaps I was missing something. Mmmmmmmmmnope. Again - wonderful lyrics and voice, but deathly dull dull dull. I'm no NME type - I love all types of music if it has some creative energy. This is just too worthy. Really not my cup of tea, but... I don't think less of anyone who does like it. My review is a warning for those of you who may buy this album based on Amazon's recommendation: try and sample the album before buying.

ARRAY(0xa3948cc0)

Blue Alert
Blue Alert by Anjani (Audio CD - 2007)