Format: Audio CDChange

on 2 July 2007
I think it is important not to compare this album with the Justice album; whilst both share common influences, they are very different at the core. Attack Decay Sustain Release is more vocal and it's beats more progressive. My personal favourites are It's The Beat, Hustler & Wooden - These tracks sound amazing live and I expect It's The Beat to be very popular this summer.

My only disappointment with the album has been the track 'I believe' - It's good, but not really fitting with the rest of the album.

Justice fans may find it hard to fully appreciate this album, but I would still highly recommend it.
on 25 June 2007
This CD has been receiving a lot of good reviews in the press recently so I decided to give it a go. I am not disappointed. This is a brilliant collection of dance tunes, 10 in all. Back in the day, many bands released 10 track CDs because they didn't bother overloading them with filler-dross deadweight. Every song here is instantly memorable and has been well crafted. Ironically, this CD reminds me of precisely the kind of stuff that made me up sticks from the dance floor as a student and retreat to the bar until the DJ sorted himself out but I love it now. It has a more refined feel to it than 90s dance music and is propped up by beats that drag you into the maelstrom that is SMD. Prior to this I had been a fan of Air, Royksopp and all that Euro sky gazing malarkey but this mob are not in the same vein as any of that. Admittedly there are a couple of laid back moments on the CD but they just wipe the tables in the fag breaks between courses. Love it, recommend it unreservedly.
on 13 December 2007
SMD have made a great album which has enough quality to place it alongside Daft Punk. Some tracks are immediately accessible such as the sublime 'I Believe' and the more in-your-face 'Hustler'. Other tracks are definite growers, such as 'Sleep Deprivation', 'It's The Beat' and 'I Got This Down'.
A lot of this album can be mistakenly dismissed on the first few listens, as it somehow sounds too simple and musically basic, however, the undelying quality shines through and you begin to appreciate the effort gone into creating this album. It's very listenable and suitable for both at home on a decent hi-fi (unlike the over-rated one trick pony that is the Justice album) or equally in a music orientated venue, and has a nice mix of vocal and non vocal tracks.

If you enjoyed the first 2 Daft Punk albums, The Chemical Brothers early work or Leftfield's albums, then give this a try (those of you looking for a 'pop' album, look elsewhere). One slight gripe would be the overall length of the album (a common problem these days of being the wrong side of three quarters of an hour), and i would have like it to have included the vinyl track 'Pulse'.
A solid effort nonetheless. SMD, we salute you!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have been looking forward to this record and overall it's pretty good. Some great burbling sequencer lines, decent melodies and highly danceable rhythmns. A couple of things that could have been improved are the sequence of tracks and a re-recording of a few of the stand out tracks, such as 'Sleep Deprivation', 'It's the Beat' and 'I Believe' to reflect the superior power of the 12" mixes.

This is still a rarity of a decent record in the world of dance at the moment.
VINE VOICEon 29 August 2007
I wasn't expecting much, I bought this album on the strength of their single "I believe" which I rather enjoyed but the rest of the album isn't half bad at all. The first track, Sleep deprivation, is an excellent tune, one of the best I've heard this year and while the rest of the album doesn't quite match the standard of it and I believe it's still well worth a look.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Apparently Simian Mobile Disco are part of a new rave movement but I cannot clarify that as I have absolutely no idea what it is. What I happily can clarify is that DJ/producers James Ford and Jas Shaw have produced a definitive dance album that plays as an album rather than as a DJ set.
SMD emerged from the detritus of iffy indie outfit Simian and James Ford has an Artic Monkeys album -"My Favourite Worst Nightmare" - on his producing C.V. and its clear from first track the supple and spongy rhythms of "Sleep Deprivation" that the duo have assimilated influences and genres along the way as Attack Decay Sustain Release permeates techno, hip hop, acid house, soul and minimal rock elements into a unrelenting mish mash of styles and beats.
I hear elements of Daft Punk ( them again) , Suicide ,Renegade Soundwave, Jean Michel Jarre( just listen to the way some of the background keyboards and textures swish and swoop like "Oxygene" era Jarre), more ambient influences like The Orb and definitely traces of mad as balloons dance monsters Eon.
The albums first half is just a stupendous unremitting phalanx of jabbing keyboards , pummelling beats and juddering rhythms that speak to the hips in code. You meanwhile are powerless -you have to obey those coded commands and move. "I Got This Down" will have you getting it down so quickly you could break the sound barrier. " It's The Beat" explains "It's The Beat" rather unnecessarily , as it's scuzzy rhythms, dot dash backing and scything acid house bleeps and bips pirouette over a relentless fervent piano and strident exhorting vocals. "Hustler" is a reworked version of an earlier incarnation and has a giddily elastic keyboard line and sassily cool vocals .
The album loses momentum after this which is a shame as it s shaping up to be an absolute stormer."Tits And Acid" exists purely as a series of frantic blips and beeps rather than having them as a minor part of the track. "I Believe" Is the sort of utopian love everything track so prevalent of the nineties club scene but its a come down track , a very good one mind, and should have been at the end of the album. "Hotdog" is just functional dance music and though "Wooden" has some invigorating layered keyboards it doesn't take them anywhere memorable. "Love" has splendidly fat bass but allays it to shuffling percussion where earlier it thumped till you bruised , and the vocal is just plain annoying ."Scott" is all over the place with ramshackle sounds , odd vaudeville interludes and perplexing key changes. If it's meant to sound gloriously wilful and experimental it fails .Its just a gaudy mess.
There is half a brilliant album here , as good as anything I have heard in dance music for a long time. That it loses momentum is frustrating but ultimately not too surprising. SMD have gone for a range of moods and emotions and allowed their various influences to absorb into the music and for that we should be congratulating them . This approach has ironically robbed then of the chance of making a true classic dance album .If they had indeed sustained the attack who knows how crushingly superb this album could have been.
on 22 June 2009
One of the few Cds in my collection i consider truly perfect. A production that contains heavy influences from every end of the electronic spectrum from the expected electro-house sound, to dubstep and breaks mid song in Tit's and acid to the disco infused lines of Hot-Dog. If you are expecting a Cd filled with 05 dancefloor killers like Hustler, or the alt-rock electronica of Simian you will likely be disappointed, but an incredible production nonetheless.
on 7 April 2015
Coming from a fairly exclusive rock background and still having listened to fairly little 'techno', this album is a fantastic audio delight. It begins with a few tracks that are generally more listenable and becomes more eclectic towards the album's close, another quality that appeals to a novice like me. The album feels fresh and interesting to me and I highly recommend it.
on 12 February 2013
superb album, as are many of their others to be honest. I like nearly everything simian Mobile Disco produce. Their productions are top notch and sound as smooth and tight as I like in music.

So if your like me and love dance music, be it hard, dark, proggressive or more mellow. These fit right in the middle and cover all bases....
on 9 December 2007
There are a couple of real gems on here, and they alone make the album worth buying.
However it just falls short of being a truly great album, as a number of the songs, whilst good on the dance floor, lack the depth for listening to otherwise.
I dunno, thats just how I felt, I'm sure you wont be disappointed if you bought this.