Format: Personal ComputersVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Blimey!! These constitute the best sound system I have ever come across.

I have never had Bose before. I thought I had a really great pair of Creative Computer speakers. I did not think there was very much further one could go with such things - until these!!

They are wasted as computer speakers in a way unless you connect them up where you can really enjoy them. They came in a HUGE Amazon box with a slightly less huge Bose box inside. They were well packed and easy to unwrap. Each part has been lovingly bagged up to protect it.

The system consists of 2 speakers on stands. The stands can be removed but I would definately not bother as you will lose some acoustic benefits. There is a remote unit and a base speaker.

Starting with the base speaker. This is MUCH deeper than I expected and if I could give any criticism, it is that the base speaker cannot be discretely stored under your desk. It has a mammoth footprint. That said, I did shove it right under my desk and it functions very well. The base speaker is the business unit with the mains supply, computer jack input and speaker & remote lines in.

The small speakers come with long and reassuringly thick cables. They cannot be extended as they have very specific Bose plugs on the end. The leads cannot be disconnected from the back of the little speakers. They plug neatly into the back of the base speaker. They looks great on the desk. The remote unit also has a long lead which plugs into the back of the base speaker.

The remote is really innovative and works very well. If has a touch sensitive tap button on the top which switches the system on and off with the tap of the top of the unit. The remote also has a silky smooth volume control by turning the black dial. It also has a headphone and Aux in input to make it easy to connect external devices.

The sound is unbelievable. I was a bit dubious as I have never had a separate woofer before but it works very well. The base just resonates and is complemented by the sweet upper tones. Even with the Sub-woofer tucked away, the base is rich and the sound is so so good.

From what I can see, the Bose Companion 5 seems to have been a USB connection which is not without its problems. Particularly for Windows & users but this has a straight small audio jack input. This means, you can easily connect it to the TV for a fantastic audio system for movies etc. I have tried this and it transformed our Samsung TV into a virtual cinema sound system. (Not surround sound obviously).

In summary, this looks great, sounds stunning and my only slight issue is the size of the sub-woofer but that's not a problem at all for my desk. For computer use it's almost wasted. For movies and TV, it is stunning.

I am so excited about this. This has the best sound I have ever heard from such a compact system.

I hope this helps.
on 20 December 2012
I dont usually write reviews but i have had the companion 5's for a good couple of months now (bought second hand for £200), and feel like i need to tell everyone how fantastic they are. I have used them in a small uni bedroom, large bedroom and very large lounge and i have to say every time i have moved them they have sounded better. I was blown away the first time i fired them up in a small room, and amazed at the performance in a larger room. I was skeptical before purchase after encountering the floods of bose bashers, but being a mac user i figured it was a similar battle so i went for it. You do get what you pay for i can tell you. Build quality - Outstanding. Music - Fantastic, and i use these everyday...without fail, rich, dynamic and wonderfully balanced, my only gripe is that the the left and right (mid - highs) can break out above the sub when very loud, although i have found over usb from my macbook the speakers adjust to the input and balance themselves! (Providing you set the computer output to max and leave it) Movies - Incredible, with enough power to comfortably fill a large lounge (15m x 6m), large soundstage and lovely accurate bass. This set sound beautiful at every volume level and excel throughout the audio range. I consider myself a bit of an audiofile and DO appreciate good sound. I can comfortably say if you like really nice things, that sound fantastic then go for it. Everyone i have showed agrees they sound brilliant and they continue to delight and surprise me 3 months down the line.
on 16 November 2012
I have been looking at getting a sound system for my LED TV for a while now as the standard speakers on these TVs are pants. I did consider a sound bar but didnt like the idea of having it infront of or above the TV.
Popped into my local Currys and saw these beautys in with all the PC speakers and thought these look smart, lets have a listen.
Well what can I say, you have to listen to these speakers to fully appriciate the quality of the sound. Its amazing, so I had to get them as nothing comes near them for hearing everything in a song/movie or game.
Got them home and connected them via the TVs headphone socket and to the Line out on the control pod, and Viola, also by doing this you just set the control pod to 80% volume and you can then hide it away as the volume is controlled by the TV using your remote.
You also get with the system a DVD disc by bose to test out your speakers, very clever and you do get the effect of surround sound but you have to sit bang between them to hear it.
All in all a very usefull and amazing system that gets comments every time its used and seen by people. The bass is crisp and punchy and the quality of the speakers is top notch.
Build quality is perfect as you would expect from bose, no cheap plastic here.
If in doubt just buy them, I know the price is a tad high but you are getting quality and ease of set-up. No fiddley wires and mess and it all tucks away nicely and deliverys room filling sound, I am sooo happy.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 17 November 2011
Bought for office computer setup and I'm really pleased, good all round sound, great for size, only slight crit is the cable length from speakers to sub could be a bit longer.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 12 March 2008
Sound quality is very good for a set of PC speakers, as typical with this sort of setup, there is a lack of weight behind the upper base frequencies (the crossover area between the sub and speakers). Lower base is not bad at all, given the small size of the sub. If you are expecting something to rival true 5 speaker surround, then look elseware.
They are expensive and you wont find anyone discounting them (maybe free postage!). You could get a sub/sat setup and an amp from Richer Sounds or used high end setup from ebay for the same money and it would produce a better sound (My KEF 2005.2 downstairs is way better). However, that's missing the point, this setup take up very little space and is easy to connect. If you got the cash and want small decent sounding speakers for you PC, then go for this. I am pleased with them.
on 7 December 2009
We have just purchased a set of Bose Companion 5 Speakers - we owned a sounddock, but obviously you are limited to just the iPod. So we decided on these that we can hook up to the Multimedia PC and WOW they are superb, whilst a tad more expensive the sound is quality. With the Aux point you can connect up your iPod or other MP3 device.

10/10
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Format: Personal ComputersVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I had intended to use these as computer speakers for which they are ideally sized and would look perfect set up this way. However, once they arrived and I saw they looked far better style wise than I was expecting, we decided to hook them up to the TV and see what that was like instead. Perhaps if we had a huge TV then the small speakers would look out of place but ours is more of a standard 32" and they looked fine next to it. You can get an idea of that sizing with the photo supplied which was taken from testing the kit out.

We had some very old speakers which we never bothered using instead of the inbuilt TV speakers since the sound quality wasn't any real improvement and I did wonder if this would be the same. But as soon as we got this rigged up and switched on, testing it with one of The Lord of the Rings movies, we were pretty wowed by the rich sound. It really is excellent if you love watching movies for a much more cinematic like experience. We love movies and particularly ones with great soundtracks so these speakers are the bomb. We've used them with music channels too where they are also good and they can also make regular TV shows sound good but we don't normally switch them on just for that. For watching movies though I can't imagine not having them since they absolutely enhance the watching of films. Brilliant and thrilled with these.
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 17 June 2014
I've tried many PC speakers over the years including the 7.1 stuff and although most are pretty good, the sound off these Bose is just amazing for music. They take about 5 minutes to set up and it's all automated (on Windows at least). For my first test I played a song by Adel - WOW... it was so crisp and clear it was like she was in the room; awesome. As for gaming, I'm not sure about that because they are 2.1 speakers simulating a 5.1 sound. In terms of quality, they're just awesome, but not quite like a real 5.1, but excellent nonetheless.

One thing to be wary of is that the centre of the desktop controller is a touch sensitive mute button - really neat, but as a guy, I set it up without the instructions and muted the sound by accident without knowing this and spent a few minutes figuring out why I had no sound. There is a LED on the top and when green you're good to go and amber is muted.

Overall, just stunning sound and they look good too.
on 18 August 2013
I have had this system for a number of years now and have never tired of its extraordinary quality - both in terms of sound reproduction and also the build. It has stood the test of time in this household - including being attached to both Windows and Mac computers - and remains my most treasured audio device, despite the arrival of newer technology. Problems? Yes - the control pod which allows on/off and volume control as well as plug in access for an auxiliary device and/or headphones stopped working properly some time ago - despite being slightly outside the warranty period at the time, Bose were good enough to exchange the faulty part and it's function beautifully ever since. If I had a quibble it was their insistence on me sending the entire system to them for examination, rather than the small control pod on its own. Small beer considering my delight overall.
on 2 January 2011
Ever heard the expression 'you get what you pay for'?
To some it might seem expensive, but you won't be disappointed with this product it's worth every pound. I have a pair of Bose head phones and they are simply outstanding, I had no hesitation in purchasing this system. I'm no music buff but the sound quality and clarity is superb, if you are unsure go to an outlet that stocks the Companion System and let it blow you away.
Setting up was easy and took about 10 minutes. I can't fault the product and would recommend it to anyone considering a first class desktop speaker system.