Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 June 2007
I am an old fan of Megadeth,i started listening to Megadeth in their Peace Sells era.I bought Youthanasia in 1994 and after that i didn't buy anything they released.I got this album from my friend,because he said to me United is like Rust In Peace.So i gave Megadeth a chance.I am so shocked about this new album,because it is too good than i expected.It is full of good lyrics and good heavy melodic guitar riffs.So i recommend this new album to older fans and also the new ones.Don't miss it,because Megadeth is back and what a comeback it is...
on 7 February 2016
Very consistent and thoroughly enjoyable album released by Megadeth! Having listened to all of their 00s albums and even written a review on Dystopia, I thought I might share my thoughts on this album specifically! It's not my favourite Megadeth album and it doesn't contain my favourite Megadeth track either, which incidentally comes from Cryptic Writings (Use the man - I can't get over how good the guitar work on this piece is!) But I reckon this album as a whole is one tough beast! Very impressive quality overall, I can't stress it enough! I was so pleased when I discovered this, it's so timeless! A tout le mond, is a track he seems to be very proud of and he made the right choice by bringing it back to life with a new twist! I could go on and on about how each track on this offering is amazing, but I'll end here and just say it was worth a first listen and it'll be worth the next!
on 28 May 2007
Megadeth really suprized me on this album, i was expecting them to do what there so called "rivals" did and bring out an album thats not them, but WAAHAYY they have brought out an album that says MEGADETH all over it. The solos are great and the riff work is just like they used to.

A top album to buy if you like megadeth.
on 30 June 2007
I must first begin my review by totally and utterly lambasting many of the previous reviews given by people who must be living on a different planet. 'One for the girls' and 'a lazy album' what a load of tut! Megadeth have always been my favourite thrash band and I can safely talk about this band objectively rather than people that probably think limp biskit are the greatest metal band ever.

As to amplification who cares what cabinets or guitars are being used the production is crystal clear with emphasis on what Megadeth are about crunching rock riffs. Lets not forget Dimebag used Dean guitars and was the greatest guitarist in modern times. I don't remember anyone critisizing his choice in axe! TOTALLY BIZARRE!

Firstly this album is Megadeth's best since Countdown to Extinction. Every track on this cd is totally and utterly filled with amazing riffs and superb lead solos and Mustaine's vocals are top notch. The only bad thing I can say about this cd is the reworking of a tout le monde. It's not that it's a bad track it just breaks up the rhythm of the cd. It should have placed right at the end so I don't have to keep skipping it.

The opening track 'Sleepwalker' is a superb opener, it's a fast well paced opener with some good lyrics, amazing shredding riffs, great lead fills and a superb drum track.

10 out of 10

I guess it's not that important who the other band members of Megadeth are because Mustaine is Megadeth and we all know what happened when other band members got to write their own tracks, we ended up with the slop that was Risk. Although I must say Marty Friedman was the greatest Megadeth guitarist in my opinion.

Anyway back to the other tracks, it can be said that some tracks such as Never walk alone are slightly more dumbed down from the outright thrash origins of Megadeth, but that doesn't stop them being great tracks. When was the last time we heard an outright start to finish thrash album from Megadeth? Rust in Peace! So what's the problem? That was a long time ago and I'm glad we aren't living in a stagnant pool of thrash metal.

There are a couple of political based tracks such as Washington is Next and the United Abominations. While many people are put off by having to actually think a little too much about the contentious subject matter the lyrics are well crafted and make great songs. 8 out of 10 and 9 out of 10 respectively.

Gears of War has a killer opening riff which has me reaching to up the volume every time. Let me say at this point this cd hasn't been out of my car cd player since the day I bought it. The lead solos on Gears of War, it has to be said, make the hairs on my arms stand up it is really that good! 9 out of 10

Blessed be the Dead starts dark and brooding with another superb opening riff. Mustaine witters on about some horses of different colours for a while then some more killers solos come into play after a couple of minutes and then ends abruptly, probably only 7 out of 10 for this one!

Play for Blood is probably the catchiest track for me the guitar work is once again brilliantly crafted and if is wasn't for the widow's peak I'd be headbanging like a woodpecker and then some. A definite 10 out of 10!

I'm not going to go through the rest of the tracks, so in short if you like loud metal packed with dozens of crunching riffs and well worked lead solos then you can't go wrong with this offering it really is that good, regardless of what I've read elsewhere. I don't care if it's thrash or not or what guitar brand is used, its good honest loud metal by the master himself and I for one ain't complaining.
on 13 May 2007
I was a troubled sceptic when I decided to purchase the latest release from Megadeth titled, `United Abominations'. The motivation for my scepticism was Megadeth had fallen from grace after producing a number of dire albums that just showed no signs of creativity or originality. I think I was living with the ghosts of the past as `Countdown to Extinction' and `Symphony of Destruction' were praiseworthy classics that needed to be placed on a pedestal alongside some of the finest moments of Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and early era Metallica. However, I have always remained faithful to Megadeth, watching their peaks and troughs along with all the personal demons that Dave Mustaine has had to contend with over the years.

I was interested to see that Mustaine has since resurrected himself, dusted himself off and polished up his act by including Glen and Shawn Drover (guitar and drums respectively) into the band along with well-known and respected bassist James Lomenzo. These three additions into the fold can only rekindle the dying flame known as Megadeth and lets just hope that one of metal's pioneering bands are back on track once again. For those of you that are unaware, but the Drover brothers hail from Canada and play in a power metal band that goes under the moniker of Eidolon, playing a dark ominous brand of power metal. Lomenzo on the other hand, has been on the scene for a number of years adding time with Mike Tramps White Lion, Non-Fiction, but more recently with Black Label Society.

In addition, Mustaine has called upon the services of acclaimed British producer, Andy Sneap to co-produce this album. Good business decision Mr Mustaine for getting Andy Sneap on your side as this man is a creative genius behind the production desk, working with some of the biggest names in the industry. Well, let us get down to business and discuss what this review is all about, the music. First off, Megadeth have delivered a stunning album that is a dark, heavy, riff laden metal fest that has `Rust in Pieces', `Countdown to Extinction' and `Symphony of Destruction' written all over it. Mustaine has gone back to the basics of the abovementioned three albums, analyzed them thoroughly and with this in mind has written `United Abominations' by giving it a modern day feel and production.

Mustaine has not been to far from controversy over the years, but he has written some very poignant lyrics this time round. Dealing with the war in the Middle East, more specifically Iraq, terror on Americas doorstep and having a worthy dig at the inert actions of the United Nations (hence the title and title track, United (Abomi) nations) regarding their inability to contain worldly conflict through dialogue are just some of the topics explored. While Megadeth does not claim to have any answers to the interesting questions life throws at us, they are at least asking these questions in their lyrics and rewarding the attentive listener with a lot to ponder. What a better ambassador than Dave Mustaine to highlight the wrongs of the world and to put it all into perspective, using narration segments on some of the tracks to get the message across.

Mustaine must have one of the most recognisable voices in the metal genre as he uses that upturned lip snarl, and with this release, there is no deviation from what his vocals have bestowed upon us with past albums. His guitar playing has more passion, feel and a sense of urgency nowadays and some of the riffs are the best I have heard in ages. Glenn Drover is a welcomed inclusion into Megadeth and he has a unique style of playing which is very apparent, adding such a varied dimension to the music. I did however, enjoy Marty Friedman and more recently, Al Pitrelli's guitar styles, but with Drover he has left his characteristic mark on this recording. I'm left with the impression that both guitarists feed off one another and play in great unison together, hopefully this could be something lasting as Mustaine can be a rather obnoxious individual to work alongside, especially on a creative level.

Glenn's brother Shawn is a very technical drummer and is just mind-blowing behind the kit. He is slightly more reserved with Megadeth than Eidolon, and is backed up with James Lomenzo's rumbling bass work. There is a re-worked track from a bygone era, `À tout le Monde' including the vocal talents of Cristina Scabbia from Lacuna Coil fame on backing vocals. I have to say that I treasured the original track greatly, however this one has stolen my heart for the mere fact the solo has been re-worked and the inclusion of Scabbia's subtle vocals are just spell binding. This is a very strong effort from Dave Mustaine's Megadeth and I would encourage new and old fans to check them out as this release is just blazing from start to finish, with even the hardest of cynics might just agree this time around.
on 31 May 2007
A MUST-HAVE FOR ANY MEGADETH FAN AND DEFINITELY WORTH SEEKING OUT IF YOU'RE A METAL FAN, EVEN IF YOU'VE NEVER HEARD THEIR STUFF YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED.

IN MY OPINION, AFTER "COUNTDOWN TO EXTINCTION" MEGADETH DELIVERED A SERIES OF DUFF ALBUMS AND I BEGAN TO LOSE INTEREST WE HAD THE ODD DECENT SINGLE IN THE FORM OF "TRAIN OF CONSEQUENCES" ETC BUT THEY SEEMED TO BE LOSING IT... BUT AFTER DELIVERING THE NOT HALF BAD "SYSTEM HAS FAILED" ALBUM WHICH SEEMED A RETURN TO FORM WITH SOME A DECENT RETURN TO GUITAR SOLOS FOR MUSTAINE I HAD A FEELING THEY'D STRIKE BACK WITH SOMETHING BRUTAL AND THEY DID.

MUSTAINE HAS REALLY PULLED HIS FINGER OUT THIS TIME AND COME BACK WITH A VENGEANCE, BLOWING US AWAY WITH SPECTACULAR RIFFS AND SO MANY JAW-DROPPING SOLOS BETTER THAN ANYTHING METALLICA HAVE DONE SINCE THE BLACK ALBUM!

YOU ARE GRIPPED FROM THE MOMENT THE OPENING "SLEEPWALKER" KICKS IN WITH ITS MONSTER RIFF AND SNARLING VOCALS RIGHT TO THE CLOSING "BURNT ICE" WITH MORE GUITAR LICKS AND SOLOS THAN J.MASCIS ON A GOOD DAY...I CAN'T EXPRESS HOW IMPRESSED I WAS WITH THIS ALBUM, A REAL TREAT AND A KICKASS COMEBACK WHICH SHOWS THE WHOLE RACE OF KERRANG WANNABE METAL BANDS WE HAVE AT THE MOMENT HOW IT'S REALLY DONE!

MUSTAINE'S FINEST HOUR SINCE "PEACE SELLS" I URGE YOU ALL TO CHECK IT OUT!
on 13 August 2007
I am not sure what a lot of the negative reviewers are going on about here. Yes this album is not new or inventive, that's because unlike Metallica Dave Mustaine believes in giving his fans what they want, which of course means more of the same, and in that respect this album succeeds admirably with not a bad track on the album. Therefore any comments panning the albums lack of originality or progression are just plain dead in the water. Having said that the same reviews are right to point out that nowadays there is a lot better out there to be enjoyed, producing inventive riff heavy, intelligent metal that you can still air guitar and head bang too safe in the knowledge it's a bit more cutting edge.

I like MD and its fair to say I have gained some enjoyment out of every album Dave has ever done (this one is no exception) but it would also be fair to say this is not his best. It's a shame because there is very little to separate this album from the last one `the system has failed' (which was more of a return as opposed to a return to form) and yet I feel that was a slightly better album with clear and catchy songs and a little more of a `heads down and go' approach, this new one often feels like the bottom has dropped out of it (I mean musically, not in a production quality sense which is actually very good throughout as you would expect), with the odd song feeling a bit lacklustre. Couple this with the odd meaningless or silly lyric and you can see why even hardcore MD fans may be disappointed.

A good example is `Gears of War' here I was expecting a suitable track to ride my (imaginary) tank into battle crushing the machine gun blasted dead corpses of my enemies and instead you get a rather wimpy bit of metal that's over before it even gets going.

In the end the bottom line comes down to how much you like the old school, this isn't going to set your MP3 player ablaze and I doubt most fans would be playing it over some previous albums in 6 to 12 months time. If you're a MD fan of old you should like it but if you're just a metal fan in general its best to look elsewhere first.
on 23 August 2007
What an unbelievable record Dave Mustaine and Megadeth have released. United Abominations is the metal record of 2007. Superb songs, guitar playing, drums and bass. What Metallica would do for an album like this. Mustaine's vocals are now at a perfect place, seems the older he gets, the better his voice sounds. For standout tracks just read the whole album ...... superb from start to finsh.
on 4 February 2013
Amazing Vinyl, beautiful Gatefold and inner. The CD sleeve cannot do justice to this, great job.
Artwork on the inner of Gatefold is amazing. True collector's item.
on 26 July 2007
A true return to form this album made me wanna bang my head like it was 1985 again!!!.

You may say that this album is a retread of all that has gone before and in some respects this may be true (the re-recorded a tout le monde for example) however this does this album a terrible injustice as tracks like Sleepwalker Washington is next and play for blood kick some serious ass!.

Yes there is probably nothing new about any of this but what the hell have slayer been doing for the last 20 years? and everyone still loves them for it!, so if you can put this aside for a second and just listen to the songs then you will realise what a huge talent Mr Mustaine is and forget the rest because its immaterial.

In summation this is the best album to have been released by any of the big four of thrash in about 20 years so buy it!.