5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a decent thriller/horror with suspense!
First, whoever says this film either sucks, or is confusing, lame - they probably didn't understand it.

Published on 27 Jan 2008 by Tony

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow starting but worth the twist at the end
Published on 28 July 2008 by R. WEST-SOLEY

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a decent thriller/horror with suspense!, 27 Jan 2008
This review is from: The Return [DVD] (DVD)

Like many, I was so sick to death of all the Hollywood releases this past year. Almost every horror movie being released has been a complete gore fest! Now I have nothing against gore but, enough is enough. Movies like Saw, Hostel, are pitiful, ridiculous movies. Film makers have stopped trying to deliver a solid script, instead they just lay anything that's anything on the table - body part wise. Where has the good suspense gone???

Look no further. The Return has brought it back!!

Before watching the movie, my friend insisted I don't watch it. I had already read all the bad reviews. People claiming the film was too confusing, or lacked any real story line - these people are dumb. When the credits rolled, I couldn't wait to purchase the movie and watch it all over again.

Sarah Michelle Gellar is an amazing actress and carries the movie well. Her blind stare and almost zombie like presence captures the characters feelings and emotions beautifully.

The Return has a lot of suspense and jumpy moments. If you're sick of seing blood splattered everywhere and would like a good thriller, this is your movie.

Don't listen to the bad reviews!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good film, but what's with the eye?, 13 July 2012
This review is from: The Return [DVD] (DVD)
I think that Sarah Michelle Gellar or whoever she works with must have a thing for eyes, as you can see that the artwork for a lot of her movies features a big eye on the poster or DVD front cover (The Return, Possession, The Grudge 1&2 and Scream 2). Regardless, I thought that this was a film worth watching and it did have suspense and shock elements to it, something that the Grudge never did for me. With the majority of my family being big SMG fans, I thought that it would be worth getting this film, and especially for the price at which I bought it. The film is not a scary horror as such (as the front cover might suggest). In fact a supernatural murder mystery is probably the best way to summarise this feature. It is a film I recommend, especially if you are a SMG fan yourself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow starting but worth the twist at the end, 28 July 2008
R. WEST-SOLEY "Rich West-Soley" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Return [DVD] (DVD)
I must admit, I was ready to turn this off after the first 20-25 minutes, as there's precious little pace, patchy dialogue and no tension as we are introduced to the central characters of the film. Things improve steadily from there on, though, as the director plays on the dark atmosphere, and more and more unanswered questions pile up. By the end of the film it was all clicking into place with quite an unexpected twist guaranteed to have viewers admitting "I never saw that coming"!

Gellar turns in a good, solid performance as expected, and is supported well by mysterious, brooding Peter O'Brien and the chauvinist evil of Adam Scott. The supernatural theme builds well, and the central menace is as ugly and as horridying as you'd expect from Gellar's anxiety on screen.

Worth sticking with - it's a good film if you make it through the first half hour.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, strange, and confusing!, 4 July 2009
This review is from: The Return [DVD] (DVD)
We all know that the japaneese-based horrors are the same basic story, but this was that story but even worse. It was confusing, wierd, and strange. I didnt really understand what I was watching (maybe I'm thick, but the other person watching it with me didnt either!). Having seen these reviews, it seems this is a marmite movie, but I definetely wouldnt recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Well done, Sarah., 26 July 2007
This review is from: The Return [DVD] (DVD)
This mini but very decent horror stars the female horror no.1 actress, Sarah Michelle Gellar, once again encountering mysterious goings-on. (if you think of it that way)

The Return is different. Sarah plays brilliantly the troubled young woman who returns to her hometown, to clear her brain and get some answers to the terrifying happenings and her disturbing visions/ flashbacks. Shot in an extreemely moody mannor, Sarah's shy and brooding character, bleak and pail sets and incredibly confusing story (until the climax) alltogether, somehow create a wonderful and admittedly rather scary horror film. Describing it too much to you will spoil the film, because you really need to watch closely for any clues.

If you're after something like Gellar's previous work, i.e- 'The Grudge' films, then I reccomend you look elsewhere. However, if you like a very good, thought provoking and interesting mystery/ horror, 'The Return' is deffinately for you. Do not be put off by bad reviews, because those people probably didn't understand it!

A little more than 4 stars.

P.J.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 2 Sep 2007
This review is from: The Return [DVD] (DVD)
watch it sarah is amazing
the story line is fantastic
how can people hate this
its the best horror 2006
Thrilling and chilling
a must watch!

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea but poorly executed., 10 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Return [DVD] (DVD)
Even though I've only scored this film with 2 stars I wouldn't say it's a bad film. The story is actually quite good and mostly original, it's just the film is really lethargic and as others have said, has a really slow pace.

I found myself quite bored at times and would have switched it off if I wasn't a fan of Sarah Michelle Gellar from her Buffy days. I wouldn't reccomend this film to anyone but I wouldn't suggest to stay clear of it either. As others have given it good reviews it obviously can find an audience.

I would suggest that as it's quite a short film and if like me you do get bored when watching it maybe it's worth sticking around for the ending, that's probably the best part, I don't mean that in a sarcastic way either.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sarah Michelle Gellar - so wrong for this role, 27 April 2008
GratuitousViolets "Ash" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Return [DVD] (DVD)
I was so glad I rented this movie from Amazon instead of buying it - as I had been toying with the idea of it for much time after people saying it was a fabulous horror.

I feel that some people's opinions maybe greatly influenced by their appreciation of Sarah Michelle Gellar. She's been in some substantial movies but sadly this isn't one of them.

The story was too simple and I felt the story had already been done in various other movies I've seen.

Don't get me wrong, it's definately worth sitting down to but it relies on cheap scare tactics like heavy footsteps and fleeting visions. Personally, I think Sarah Michelle Gellar was wrong for this part as her "oh my god, I'm a troubled and tortured girl" persona is far too overdone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable supernatural yarn, 17 Oct 2007
Bezerus Bezby "Bez" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Return [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this at the cinema and enjoyed it. A girl aiming high in the career stakes is drawn back to a small town where she becomes involved with a mysterious stranger, (incidently, Shane from neighbours) She also begins to have strange visions which may be someone else's memories.

This didn't do very well at the cinema which is a shame as it is quite good. Sarah Michelle Geller acts well and the atmospheric music and beautiful scenary make this a better film then you might first think. The twist at the end was an added bonus also.

Cast aside any doubts and give this film a go. It really is worth a look.

4.0 out of 5 stars Supernatural Thriller, 21 May 2008
M. A. Ramos (Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Return [DVD] (DVD)
Sarah Michelle Gellar plays Joanna Mills who is a traveling sales rep, a job she choose because it keeps her always on the move. We are introduced to her troubled childhood where she was involved in traffic accident. We do not know if the trauma to her head has given her visions of a man who is constantly stalking her that no one else sees. And when he appears, she actually hurts herself. But then, except for the damage she has done to herself, all is back to normal.

We flash forward to her adult life and getting reading to head home on business. But her true motive is to try and get some answers to her disturbing visions or memories. And as she enters her home area she starts to experience these episodes in increase frequency. The more visions or memories we see the closer we start to understand what is transpiring. And make no mistake; this is a mystery that you can try to solve before the answer is shown to you at the climax of the film.

I was pleased to see a true suspense movie that has an eerie feeling that makes you feel uneasy with no blood and gore that is so popular today. The use of shadows to enhance the suspense is reminiscent from the Alfred Hitchcock's methods. As another reviewer mentioned, Sarah Michelle Gellar carries the movie well. Her blind stare and almost zombie like presence captures the characters feelings and emotions beautifully." This is what we use to call a horror film. This is worth watching.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Return [DVD]
The Return [DVD] by Asif Kapadia (DVD - 2007)