5.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously Underrated
I thought this beautiful, autumnal dark comedy had more wit, pathos, elegaic poise, crafted character, intrigue and complexity than any programme I've seen in recent memory.

I don't know how much more underrated Joanna Lumley could be, but the understated intelligence and gravitas she brings to this role is a joy to watch.

Give me this over a...
Published on 13 Aug 2007 by J. Wright

Published on 20 Nov 2010 by Bean Slap

5.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously Underrated, 13 Aug 2007
J. Wright "Jennifer" (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sensitive Skin : Complete BBC Series 1 [2005] [DVD] (DVD)

Give me this over a thousand teen dramas any day of the week. At 26 years of age, I found this more compelling resonant and relateable than I can meaningfully articulate here.

Many many thanks for this drama, BBC. It is what they do best. I recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone with class who isn't a slave to monstrous 'edited by morons' speedy reality TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Television, 13 Jan 2009
T. Neal (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sensitive Skin : Complete BBC Series 1 [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
This was a rare TV gem - and one that deserved far more recognition that it got at the time. The writing is smooth and intelligent but it is the performances that made this one shine for me. In particular, Joanna Lumley - Davina's awkwardness, silences and detachment are well captured. There is humour, and warmth but also some darkness, frustration and regret. Thanks to the BBC for this one. If you've not seen it - my advice is to buy it, and settle down for a treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars pathos and dark comedy, 27 Jun 2009
S. sharp "serenity" (london, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sensitive Skin : Complete BBC Series 1 [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
In turns mellow, poignant, humorous. Without giving away the plot, there are infinite moments of recognition where I (as a middle-aged soul) can relate to. Subtle blend of British reserve meeting ageing hippy chick wannabe in the form of Davina's (Joanna Lumley) prospective daughter-in-law.

I preferred part 1 to part 2 because Dennis Lawson complements Joanna Lumley beautifully. He provides just the right blend of comic pathetic buffoon and poignant love. Watch out for the twist in the tail in the very last episode. Catches you without warning. I suppose Joanna Lumley is one the most versatile actors around. This is Joanna at her best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely superb, 18 July 2007
Bookish (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sensitive Skin : Complete BBC Series 1 [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
This a landmark drama series - written, directed, produced and acted to near-perfection. Joanna Lumley is superb (as always) and the other members of the cast all present their characters with utterly-believeable sincerity. Highly enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars The characters drive the series along, 5 Aug 2010
Ransen Owen (Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sensitive Skin : Complete BBC Series 1 [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
The characters drive the series along and I looked forward to seeing every episode.

Lumley is lovely of course, even when she makes a light snorting noise at at beautiful tall young blonde who crosses her path in the street. The hidden envy of age for beauty was in that slight tilt of her head.

5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated gem, 2 Jun 2010
A. Payne - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sensitive Skin : Complete BBC Series 1 [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
I caught the second series of this fantastic series by chance on BBC a while back and was hooked. The script, acting and the cinematography is beautiful, it manages to make London look nice and romantic!!! I disagree however, with people comparing this to z-list grade so called comedy like The Office. This is a series in a league of its own. Too bad BBC didn't commission a third series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sensitive Skin - series one, 9 April 2010
L. Sheffield (Ex UK now in NZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sensitive Skin : Complete BBC Series 1 [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
This DVD got off to a slow start building up to some brilliant one liners and some touching moments.
Great to see Joanna Lumley in a more serious role.

This had a sudden and unexpected ending so I am now searching for series 2 as I MUST know what happens next......................

3.0 out of 5 stars Wow, very morbidly depressing....more just like bitter than bittersweet, 20 Nov 2010
This review is from: Sensitive Skin : Complete BBC Series 1 [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
I love Johanna Lumley (love the Ab Fab character; Patsy), but this one was incredibly depressing. The scenes were dark and dreary and dealt with depressing topics like aging, lethal health problems that come with it,suicide, regret, confusion and the end of ones life and inability at ever starting over again, or having second chances. Davina Jackson also betrays her husband Al Jackson in a bitter way which coupled with the stories fixation on age and death added an even more additonal depressing element to it. Its not like her husband could ever really get another woman into him at that age (which was 61)? The only good, consistent comedy bit is her son, who is actually supposed to be 33 not 30 like presented in the product description. I also wonder, whatever happened to the dog that was tied up outside the hair cutters? Not bad to watch but just beware thats its incredibly depressing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, 30 Mar 2014
Mr Mahzooz (Hampshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sensitive Skin : Complete BBC Series 1 [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
I read all the positive reviews and took a punt on it thinking I had found a hidden gem but not for me I'm afraid.

Cardboard characters and an unbelievable story line which went from bad to worse. Sorry I could not be more positive about it but when a man in a white military uniform purporting to be the central characters "frustration" turned up it stretched the credibility of the piece beyond my parameters. I could not take it seriously from that point onwards and will not be buying the second series any time soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Sensitive Skin : Complete BBC Series 1 [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
I enjoyed this the first time it was on TV and thoroughly enjoyed watching it again. Joanne Lumley and Denis Lawson are excellent actors and well cast in this series

Sensitive Skin : Complete BBC Series 1 [2005] [DVD]