Format: DVDChange

on 6 August 2009
As a previous reviewer suggests, if you enjoyed 'What Lies Beneath' the chances are you will also like this. For in a similar way the suspense relies a lot on the viewer giving full attention.
A scene will end and move on to the next leaving you to try work out the clues. Are the answers within the strained marriage, or elsewhere?

The acting is very well executed as you'd expect from the three leads.
Enough, that even if you guess what's behind the mystery (I certainly didn't) it still remains gripping to the very end.

Recommended also as this is so much more of a higher quality movie than what Hollywood usually churns out to us.
on 18 July 2010
As you would expect from Susan Sarandon, Sam Neill and Emily Blunt, the performances in this film are flawless and it's one I would certainly recommend, although for me, the twist at the end was a bit of an anti-climax and the film itself seems little 'rushed' in places.
I couldn't help but feel that the original screenplay was probably a lot longer and that a lot had been cut out, and as a result, the story itself sometimes seemed a little fragmented.
All in all though, definitely worth seeing, if only for the excellent performances.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
First off, I absolutely love Susan Sarandon and Emily Blunt, so them being in a film together got me very excited; I then read the back copy and it sounded like the kind of psychological suspense shenanigan Im into, so I got it in my basket quick!

The general premise (not giving anything away I hope) is that Sarandon and Neill are in a slightly bland marriage, and when Sarandon feels Neills assistant (Blunt) starts to get a little too "interested" in him/ them, it all goes a bit pete tong; specifically along the lines of Sarandon thinking Blunt is stalking them/out to get her, and everyone else thinking Sarandon is losing it/stalking Blunt... Its a slightly different take on the tried and tested "obsessed third party making everyone think the heroine is mental" plot, but makes for a very watchable, if slightly slow to get moving, film.

For me, the first maybe half hour was a bit dull - saved only by the fantastic character portrayals of the three stars - but as the pace picks up it gets REALLY good. I flipped between wondering whether Sarandon was actually a bit batscat, or Blunt was the best villain since dick dastardly, or somewhere between the two - but I did NOT guess where it was all heading to.

It seems too to have been one of the very rare instances in recent cinema where the bulk of the budget was spent on hiring the best actors and a decent crew instead of technology and location.

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable film whether you're a fan of one or more of the stars, or of psych-thrillers - dropping a star for me only because in parts it was a little too slow, the ending a little hurried, and with better editing couldve been amazing
VINE VOICEon 21 June 2009
I found this rather a strange film, because although it has a rather pedestrian plot, a mix of "Fatal Attraction" "What Lies Beneath," and "The Hand that Rocks the Cradle," the cast and acting are stellar. Susan Sarandon is one of my favourite actresses and Emily Blunt is convincingly menacing. Susan Sarandon and Sam Neill are a couple whose marriage is under strain. When Emily Blunt appears as Sam's employee, from then on there are strange happenings and it's pretty creepy. I guessed one of the twists, but beware, there is another, final one. A perfectly adequate film but not really outstanding or different.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Film starring Susan Sarandon , Sam Neill and Emily Blunt . Sophie (Susan Sarandon) is sure that she is being stalked by her husband's (Sam Neill) co-worker, Mara (Emily Blunt ) but is not believed when she voices her concern to her family and friends and struggles to maintain her sanity as she slowly descends into madness. Not wanting to say too much , giving away the plot , watch out for the brilliant twist towards the end of the film and the even better twist in the closing minute.
on 27 November 2011
Very good cast, and a really good story even if predictable. Worth the money paid for it. I enjoyed personally husband got bored. Would recommend
on 19 October 2012
With three of my favorite actors, I knew I would not be disappointed. If you like to not guess it all in advance, this movie is for you, when you think you guessed the plot, you did not. I liked it. Rejection, mourning, revenge, love, betrayal, it's all there.
on 6 March 2015
When you have played the son of Satan, as Sam Neill did with some gusto in The Final Conflict, last in The Omen trilogy, the only way is down. Sam Neill's Craig, genius at something, but I'm not sure what, gets into some spooky stuff here, included an ill-advised liaison with junior colleague Emily Blunt's enigmatically nice Mara, while fearing illustrator wife Sophie (Susan Sarandon) is going round the bend. Sarandon, in fairness, gives it a good shot. Is she paranoid and delusional or all her hunches about mischievous Mara right? No spoilers here, Thelma and Louise this is not, still less Dead Man Walking. This came from Australia, but sadly no cameos from Neighbours cast members. In a perfect world, Sophie would have had to grapple with the Prisoner Cell Block H crew.
on 1 November 2012
This was almost a 5/5 enjoyable old style thriller ; is she mad or has she a stalker . This is an australian movie so its exicuted really well [ great camera creepiness ] and liitle details that you never get in american movies where everything is so plush . What I didnt like ; Susan Sarandon was at times rather hammy and the ending with her having to be action heroine was silly enough to spoil what had been an intelligent thriller . What I did love though ; her clothes [ she was wearing a skirt that I own ] plus a chance to see the actress who plays Roo [ home and away] in another role . Afternoon delight with a glass of wine .
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
It amazes me that such fine actors participated in such a bust of a film. This is so excruciatingly bad, even painful, to watch that I could barely watch it to the end.

Take a beautiful, accomplished if somewhat ditzy older woman, throw in a mid-life marriage crisis, and a mysterious younger beauty. Add fear and possible insanity, titillation, and some haphazard explanations thrown in that don't fit with the plot, and you have a disaster of incoherence, eventually leading to violence and wholly unbelievable pseudo-resolution. But at least the actors were fine. OK, the ending does add a nice twist. So 2 stars instead of one.

Alas, this film simply doesn't work. Don't get it, don't even rent it.