Format: DVDChange

on 8 March 2012
This is one of the worst films I have ever seen, a lazy, boring pastiche of recent bigs hits, badly directed, badly scripted, badly paced, badly acted and very badly socred, wathching this film is like rubbing your eyes with curry powder and sandpaper, expect its even more painful. I only laughed once, and that was a manic laugh of pain when I realised I had wasted 90 minutes of my life watching this.

If you are tempted to watch this film DON'T. If by some small chance of misfortune you own a copy, don't watch it-Throw it under a car, eat it, use it as a book mark, melt in the microwave, all are more entertaining options than watching it. This product can be summed up in four lines.

-Epic Dissapointment
-Epic Laziness
-Epic Waste of Time
-Epic Fail.
on 8 March 2013
Calling Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer's films "bad" doesn't really capture the experience of watching them. Bad comedies are painful to watch, especially in a packed theatre, because jokes come one after another to no effect, and you realise that this film should be making you laugh, but isn't. Friedberg and Seltzer, on the other hand, don't write "jokes" in a normal sense, with setups or even punchlines. They don't attempt to connect with their audience and establish context in any way. Instead they just re-create scenes from current films in a vaguely light-hearted manner, like amateur actors doing a show at a school fete, while peppering them with pop culture references. The closest Epic Movie and its peers come to actual humour is through half-hearted bits of lame slapstick. Therefore, watching them isn't painful, just boring and kind of annoying.
For a while I thought this trend of lazy non-parodies was started by Scary Movie, a hilarious Wayans brothers film that satirised 90s thrillers and had Friedberg and Seltzer on its writing team (Epic Movie boasts that it's by "two of the six writers of Scary Movie"), but really it goes back to 1996's Spy Hard, a lucklustre Leslie Nielsen spoof of James Bond. Friedberg and Seltzer, for whom Spy Hard was their debut, were two of four writers on that, which used their signature style of copying rather than parodying, like when Nielsen does the John Travolta dance from Pulp Fiction. Spy Hard was the blueprint for their later films.
Still, there must be an audience for them, otherwise they wouldn't keep getting made. Let's face it, we watch what we choose to; nobody's forcing anyone to spend money on Epic Movie (I hope). If Friedberg and Seltzer can make millions just farting around, good for them. And if people truly enjoy this crap, well, good for them too. I was once in a kebab shop where Meet the Spartans was playing on a TV in a corner, and the guy behind the counter seemed to be enjoying it.
There are various uses you could put this DVD to if you purchased it.
- Need an unusual, fun but cheap mug coaster? The disc should be removed from the packaging - print out a photograph and cut it to the shape of the DVD - now you have a coaster with a picture on it, ideal to get those party conversations going.
- Need a ransom note? There are some unusual fonts used in the packaging - the letters could be cut out and pasted onto any commonly used untraceable A4 paper to issue your demands without leaving incriminating handwriting
- Loose DVD's lying around, getting scratched? The DVD cover used for this movie could be recycled to use for other discs. Simply draw on a paper a suitable design and text, and insert into the outer plastic sleeve to complete the effect.

However, under no circumstances, ever watch this movie. It is execrable, having no redeeming features whatsoever... not a single laugh, not even a sly grin passed my lips during the entire proceedings.
Why do moviemakers feel that simply copying sections or performances from other movies but with cheaper actors and ending in a fart or a fleeting glimpse of breasts actually passes for satire??
For the record, if you care, the movies copied here are almost entirely Chronicles of Narnia, with a little of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and one character from Pirates of the Caribbean.
Avoid.
Like the plague.
11 comment26 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 26 August 2007
Where's the button for 'no stars'?
When Brazil won the World Cup for the third time, they let them keep the trophy. Similarly, the trophy for "Worst Film Ever Made" should be given in perpetuity to the makers of this jaw-droppingly awful drivel, because the competition is now closed forever. It simply isn't possible to make a worse film than this. "Epic Movie" is so brainless, it makes Dude, Where's My Car? look as intellectual as The Seventh Seal. Mind you, it's so humourless it makes The Seventh Seal seem as funny as Dude, Where's My Car?.
It's not just that it's insultingly unfunny (though it certainly is), this film is also thoroughly inept. They say that the people involved had made movies before, but I'm not convinced. My 12-year-old found it puerile and obvious. My 14-year-old squirmed in discomfort. Apart from the competent cinematography, everything about this film is bad.
The story starts as Charlie & The Chocolate Factory but then lurches into The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe, only with moronic young adults instead of children to allow for ruder 'jokes'. It's too lazy to parody several films but not imaginative enough to parody just one, making the plot uncomfortably unbalanced. Actors impersonating characters from other movies wander in and out, gurning at the camera and hoping that their mere presence will make their cameos funny. They aren't. How about a joke or two?
There have been bad films before, but even those dreadful B-movies of yesteryear (Plan 9 From Outer Space and Faster Pussycat... Kill! Kill! spring to mind) had some camp charm that meant you could enjoy their badness. 'Epic Movie' is not just charmless and unfunny: it's also quite unpleasant to watch.
0Comment19 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 June 2015
When I saw that two of the 'Scary Movie' writers were involved in this film, I did initially have some good expectations for 2007's 'Epic Movie', but aside from a few wry smile moments, it was pretty much an epic failure. The cast, which includes Kal Penn, Adam Campbell and Jennifer Coolidge, do as well as they can, but no one can ever shine with a mostly dire script.

'Epic Movie' parodies Hollywood blockbusters such as Tim Burton's 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory', and the 'Harry Potter' films, but lacks the charm of 'Scary Movie', too much excessive crudeness, and only occasionally funny. If you enjoyed 'Date Movie', you might like this more than I did.

Had this been a television broadcast movie, poor old Harry Hill would probably have had to devout at least two episodes of his 'TV Burp' on it. The 'rude & crude, unseen version' contains bags of special DVD features, including a commentary with the writer and director, the alternative ending, and five featurettes, but after watching the main feature, I just couldn't be bothered to check them out.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 July 2008
This movie is one of the worst I have ever seen!! I am usually a fan of spoofs, such as the Scary Movie films, but this one? NO WAY!!!!!

At least Scary Movie had some sort of plot! With this one the makers seem to have said "How many films can we squeeze into one?" The answer - 14!!!

And, if this is supposed to be a comedy, where are all the funny bits???? The answer - there are NONE!

Just avoid. I'm glad that I rented it instead of buying it.
on 15 January 2011
This movie parodies a lot of other movies but it is very un funny.

I loved the Scary Movie series. It was funny and entertaining. This tripe tries to cover up it's mistakes with sexual humour and crude jokes. After the scary mvoie series they should of just stopped makeing movies.

Overall 0/10 utter tripe
on 23 April 2010
This is the worst film I have ever seen. Going to see it in the cinema was the biggest waste of my money in the world, and the DVD isn't even worth 10p. The only funny moments were shown in the trailer, which is about a minute long.

Yeah. Just don't bother - seriously.
on 24 June 2007
I went to the cinema to see this and I was actually embarrassed watching it.

There was not one moment where I laughed, or where the whole audience laughed!

Bad points:

- It's boring.

- Acting is terrible.

- Not one moment to laugh about.

- Very childish humour.

Good Points:

- Good soundtrack.

- The credits are a relief.

Do not waste your money on this.

I bet you it'll be in the "bargain bins" by Christmas.

Still, don't even give it sympathy then.

Try Airplane or Naked Gun if you want true humour.
on 25 May 2009
This is by far the worst film I have ever seen. The trailer sold it pretty well but I never got round to seeing it at the cinema, THANK THE LORD!
I had imagined this film to be like a 'Scary Movie' where the humour is pretty cheap in places but keeps you giggling throughout. However the corners of my mouth never lifted at all. The actors were unbelievably bad and the lines were cringe-worthy despite some scenes having potential given the right deliverance.
In all honesty I couldn't even finish the movie so I don't know how it ended and to be frank, I really really don't care. (It actually depressed me a little bit).
Steer well clear of this one folks.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse