4.0 out of 5 stars The grippingly nominated sequel!
Published on 20 Jun. 2007 by CosmicDwellings

2.0 out of 5 stars A poor sequence to the original story
This series is just an opportunistic attempt to benefit from the success of the first season, which was based on Irwin Shaw's book. This season 2 is not based in the book and is just an ordinary soap opera with a few personages of the previous season.

The story passes mainly in the early and mid sixties but clothes and cars are from mid seventies showing poor...
Published 7 months ago by lucas

4.0 out of 5 stars The grippingly nominated sequel!, 20 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Rich Man, Poor Man - Book II [DVD] (DVD)
The gripping sequel to the award-winning television mini-series 'Rich Man, Poor Man' stands the test of time, and also is a stand alone representation of a well-produced piece of drama. Peter Strauss returns in fine form as Senator Rudy Jordache (the original 'Rich Man' of the title) as the story continues to chronicle his life, career and family. The story proceeds to 1968 and is transfixed to this period of time as opposed to relaying the action over a period of years as per the mini-series. The introduction of Rudy's nephew, Wesley and stepson, Billy adds a new entertaining dimension to the elements over 22 episodes. The series features some very good acting performances in support which includes Susan Blakely, Van Johnson, Ray Milland, Peter Haskell, Susan Sullivan, John Anderson and Kay Lenz. However, it is the portrayal of the psychotic 'Falconetti' by William Smith that illuminates the on-screen chills in his ongoing vendetta with anything connected with the name 'Jordache'. The young guns of the cast also shine with notable turns from Gregg Henry, James Carroll-Jordan, Penny Peyser and Kimberly Beck. The series received two Emmy-Award nominations and upon viewing the cliff-hanging courtroom scenes in Washington its not difficult to understand why, as Rudy attempts to bring to justice the corrupt billionaire, Charles Estep; the dramatics are wonderfully executed. 'Rich Man, Poor Man - Book II' was never going to hit the heights of the classic status of the preceding mini-series, but it has achieved popular worldwide recognition as a welcome, and most enjoyable, sequel of a great story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia at its best!!, 13 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Rich Man, Poor Man - Book II [DVD] (DVD)
I first watched Rich Man Poor Man in the 1970s when the original mini series was shown on UK TV and loved it from the very start.

When I realised that both Book 1 Rich Man Poor Man - Book 1 [1976] [DVD] and Book 2 Rich Man, Poor Man - Book 2 - Complete [DVD] [1976] were on DVD, I couldn't resist, I had to buy them both.

As I've been on annual leave for the last 2 weeks and as the first week's weather wasn't the best I thoroughly enjoyed myself revisiting the Jordache brothers.

If you would like a trip down 'memory lane' or even if you've not had the pleasure in already watching this great mini series - it's definitely worth purchasing and at such a reasonable price too. Enjoy!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich Man Poor man pt 2, 16 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Rich Man, Poor Man - Book II [DVD] (DVD)
A very good sequel to Book 1. It takes a while to get going but the impetus is there all right. The characters are the familar ones from book 1 and a few more added in to boot. It matches current day politicking with arms dealing realistically and the acting performances are REALLY well done! They do reflect an ageing acting style now though but it won't disappoint, provided you liked Book 1. We thought Book 1 is very marginally better as Nick Nolte gave a fine perfomance, but book 2 would only be a half star behind it. That's 5 stars book 1 and 4.5 stars book 2! This is still a rivetting episodic set after all these years. We have been glued to it again, just like we were the first time round in the seventies. Well recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars I am so majorly psyched!, 11 Jun. 2007
R. Spradlin "Maestro27" (Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rich Man, Poor Man - Book II [DVD] (DVD)
This is a major jump-for-joy moment. The only thing that ever came close to the original RMPM is BOOK 2! Finally. All of us fans will be pleased. You can't beat Peter Strauss and his tortured inner soul in this series. Plus, Kay Lenz, Kimberly Beck, Gregg Henry, Susan Sullivan and the notorious William Smith add to this incredible series. Long overdue. But, thank you Playback for releasing it. You won't go wrong by getting this. If I could give more than 5 stars I would! Bravo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich Man Poor Man Book 2 Question, 14 Jun. 2007
J. Willis - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rich Man, Poor Man - Book II [DVD] (DVD)
Hello from the states! I own both RMPM sets (thank goodnes for Region-Free DVD Players :) ). We're still waiting for an R1 release for either series.

I have a question about the RMPM Bk 2 set. I'm currently viewing the set but have noticed a defect in one of the "chapters" in the set. I believe it's Chapter 9. When viewing that chapter, I noticed a "blurring" motion during any movement in the entire chapter. I also noticed that the total time for this chapter as compared to all other chapters was different (49 minutes vs the usual 47 minutes for most PAL transfers for an original broadcast 1-hour TV show). Has anyone else noticed this same defect?

Defect aside, I agree with the other review posts. Book 2 is a great view having not seen this show since its original airing in the states back in '77. It's nearly a blind-buy for me since I don't recall most of the storylines but I do remember the ending. No mention here....no "spoilers" allowed :) I remember back in '77 the night before the last episode aired in the states. Peter Strauss was a guest on the "Johnny Carson" late-night show and Johnny tried to get the big secret ending of the show from Peter. RMPM was a ratings hit on ABC with millions tuned in the next night for the big final ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure joy., 12 Jun. 2007
chocoholic (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rich Man, Poor Man - Book II [DVD] (DVD)
At last book 2 of Rich Man Poor Man, this was such a superb series with the excellent Peter Strauss I am a such a fan of his,now can we have Masada on dvd as well, any one who has not seen this, start at the beginning with book 1 and sit back and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty" W.Churchill, 13 Dec. 2010
Uenna (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Rich Man, Poor Man - Book II [DVD] (DVD)
I enjoyed watching this sequel to the book 1. Peter Strauss reprises his role well as the Rich entrepreneur turned senator (the Rich man half of the Jordache brothers). Having lost his brother (Nick Nolte)at the end of season one, I looked forward to see how the story will develop and the sequel did not disappoint. However I am still miffed by the cliffhanger ending and if you are the curious kind like me you will loose hours of sleep trying to imagine what happened next. As there is no book 3 we may never find out or we could make our own ending. I did miss Nick Nolte's absence in the book two, but all the other original cast from book 1 reprise their roles as well as some new faces and characters being added.

The Rich man faced so many adversity , starting with the death of his brother at the end of books 1. I lived in hope that he will be due a break at some point, but we find him having to confront one obstacle after the other. John Maxwell once said "A difficult time can be more readily endured if we retain the conviction that our existence holds a purpose - a cause to pursue, a person to love, a goal to achieve" I think this was true of Senator Jordache.

All in all book 1 and 2 tell a great story on the complex family dynamics of two immigrant brothers, a difficult marriage, the sibling rivalry and above all the ability inherent in man to rise against adversity and the strength inherent in family bonds and close family unit. A well scripted drama and a must view if you love the best seller mini-series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sequel!, 1 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Rich Man, Poor Man - Book II [DVD] (DVD)
I was awaiting this box set with much excitement and it did not disappoint. I love Peter Strauss as an actor anyway but I watched the 6 discs within a week at every oppurtunity. I felt the only far fetched aspect of the story was the fact that the character Rudy Jordache had two ladies in his life that were very aware of each other and left him to decide which one he wanted to be with when he was ready? However now I have finished this wonderful story I feel its a shame there was not a final one off to finish all the loose ends. Does Rudy live or die? Does Wesley divorce Diane and go back to his 1st love? What happened to the horrible Charles Estep? So many questions without answers. Fantastic box set!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich man poor man book 2, 16 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Rich Man, Poor Man - Book II [DVD] (DVD)
I am thoroughly enjoying this second book, full of good acting and plots, each episode is excellent and I look forward to watching the next. Better than the usual programmes offered on tv.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mum was over the moon!, 30 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Rich Man, Poor Man - Book II [DVD] (DVD)
Obviously dated and but it still held my mum captivated until she had watched this and the sequel all the way through. She loved it just as much as when she watched it originally.

Rich Man, Poor Man - Book II [DVD]
Rich Man, Poor Man - Book II [DVD] by Lou Antonio (DVD - 2007)