5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Greats
I purchased this and Alligator at the same time, fed up with Amazon nagging me that I would really like this band. Well I didn't. I found both albums dreary and I really couldn't stand the baritone singer. And then. It all hinged on me sticking my ipod on random play. I was walking along a down-at-heel South London high street when the Geese of Beverley Road (from...
Published on 14 Mar. 2010 by robotfish

3.0 out of 5 stars The last album is a lot better.
It's OK.Just. The last album is a lot better.
Published 1 month ago by Breeze 3

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Driven me to review, 13 Sept. 2007
RC (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boxer (Audio CD)
I am not one to review anything, but this album has left me in awe for the last few months and has so much layered depth that it sounds different every time I hear it. A quietly unassuming masterpiece.

4.0 out of 5 stars A slow-burning beauty, 23 May 2011
This review is from: Boxer (Audio CD)
I brought this album after I listened to High Violet. It had a pretty big example to live up to in this- I was head over heels with High Violet. Naturally on first listen, I was a bit indifferent to most, or all, the songs; but I expected this and wasn't put off. The National's strength is in their subtlety.
However, in retrospect its taken more time than High Violet to break into. Tracks 1 and 2 caught on first- 'Mistaken for Strangers' a fantastical energetic and catchy track, 'Fake Empire' a bit more low key but no worse for it. Then a huge gap until 'Slow Show', 'Guest Room' and... well, that was about it. The remaining tracks still sounded a bit dull. It took another few listens for 'Squalor Victoria', 'Green Gloves', 'Racing Like a Pro' and 'Gospel' to shine (and shine they did- Gospel has to be one of the most beautiful songs I've listened to)
Without a doubt, the album's good. There are a few tracks that reach real heights, and will only get better and more loved with each listen. However, it doesn't quite measure up to High Violet for sheer consistency. There's one too many 6/10s to make it a shining five-starer. However, as I've said, this is hardly a major complaint. There's an awful to get your teeth into, and as albums go, it's really quite beautiful.
Listen to it on its own terms and you won't be disappointed

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Boxer [VINYL] (Vinyl)
yellow disc was a surprise :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime late night listening..., 3 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Boxer (Audio CD)
If you're a fan of The National already, you know you are in for a real treat for the ears. This isn't soul music but it's music for the soul. A much more meditative album than 'Alligator' or 'High Violet' but no less rewarding. It's lyrically intricate but hugely satisfying. A sample line from 'Mistaken for Strangers' goes 'Well you wouldn't want an angel watching over you. Surprise, surprise they wouldn't want to watch'. Pretty ace.

The real proof is in the opening track, 'Fake Empire', which builds to a beautiful horn fanfare crescendo and it's easily the best song that they have in their songbook. They paint a beautiful picture and if you're in any doubt, just listen to 'Fake Empire' and you should be sold. Although not my favourite album by The National (that honour would go to 'Alligator'), it's one of their most rewarding that give repeated listens that extra sparkle.

5.0 out of 5 stars The National do it again!, 20 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Boxer (Audio CD)
Another quality album from one of the best bands in the World. For me, it's their best work yet beating previous album, Alligator. Like their previous work, it does take a few listens to fully enjoy it but when you get it, it becomes a joy to listen to time and time again. I cannot reccomend this highly enough, so just go out and buy it!

1.0 out of 5 stars where's the quality control???, 23 May 2013
This review is from: Boxer [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I put this record on my top end deck, the quality of sound was abysmal, upon investigating I noticed my tonearm was moving from side to side ??? I inspected the record and discovered that the spindle hole was massively oversized causing the record to play off-centre. fortunately I stopped the record before any serious damage was done to my stylus. on side two I also discovered a streak of yellow paint !!!!!!! In nearly forty years of buying vinyl I have never come across such a shoddily manufactured product. Its a shame because I actually really liked this album when i heard it on cd.

1.0 out of 5 stars vinyl quality is shocking, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Boxer [VINYL] (Vinyl)
In not reviewing the music, check the other reviews for that; I'm reviewing the vinyl, which is absolutely awful. The record does not rotate centrally, causing my tone arm to move side to side, which will ruin a stylus. I suspect the hole is either oversize or slightly off centre. I have returned this product and would not recommend the vinyl version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brainy Brainy Brainy, 16 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Boxer (Audio CD)
This is a beautiful, fantastic album and if you love music that uplifts and moves you then this should be in your collection. A genuine classic that improves with each listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unreal, 18 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Boxer (Audio CD)
Simply one of the most beautiful albums ever produced. It plays it`s trump card track one,as most albums do...then just gets better. I never get sick of this,and doubt I ever will. "Ada, I can hear the sound of your laugh through the wall","so hang your holiday lights in the garden"............I`m going away to cry....

1.0 out of 5 stars I am giving this item a one-star review because it ..., 6 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Boxer (Audio CD)
I am giving this item a one-star review because it does not come with a lyric sheet. After listening to the songs several times, I am unable to make out the lyrics, which are a very important component of a song. How much trouble would it have been to include a lyrics sheet with the packaging? And how arrogant not to.

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

Boxer
Boxer by The National (Audio CD - 2007)
Click for more info