5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my mind
I gave this product a terrible review initially, because it came with no instructions, and I couldn't figure out how to use it effectively.

Published on 4 Jan 2012 by S. Howarth

3.0 out of 5 stars Drain unblocker
I brought this product for my husband, who does housing maintanance, he has found the product ok, not as good as the one that he needed to replace, ok for general diy use.
Published on 8 Nov 2011 by kjs

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my mind, 4 Jan 2012
S. Howarth (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silverline 395010 Drain Unblocker 6m x 6mm Diameter (DIY & Tools)

However, after searching YouTube for instructional videos on "How to use a Handheld Drain Auger", I managed to get the device to work properly. So the device itself is excellent. But the lack of instructions is a real issue.

It immediately cleared the blockage which more than 10 Litres (I kid you not!!) of Hydrochloric and Sulphuric Acid (the super-strong dangerous stuff plumbers use that dissolves anything it contacts), had been unable to clear. It took no more than 10 minutes. I wish I'd found the instructional videos before I wasted so much money on drain unblocking acids.

Anyway, for those who have no idea how to use the Auger and want some instructions, I'll explain how it worked for me:

1) Turn the screw on the end of the auger and pull out about 2 or so feet of cable, then tighten the screw again so the cable can't move in or out of the auger.

2) Put the springy head of the auger into the drain opening and start turning the auger (holding the 'gun' bit with one hand and rotating with the other).

3) While turning the cable, begin to SLOWLY feed/push it down into the drain. Try to keep the cable upright above the drain if you can. It's important to keep it turning while doing this so the cable begins to coil down into the drain by itself.

4) When the cable has mostly disappeared down the drain, stop turning/feeding it. Untighten the screw on the end and pull out another 2+ feet of cable, then tighten the screw again.

5) Repeat stages 2-4 until you feel some resistance - which probably means you've reached the blockage (though you may have already bashed/broken the blockage aside without even realising it).

6) As I was feeding the cable in, I made a habit of pausing for a minute and vigorously plunging up to about 12inches of the cable in and out of the pipe to try to scrape and dislodge any gunge that might be sticking to the sides of the pipes as I was going down.

7) If you have a complete blockage that you feel you've snagged, you can now pull the coiled wire back out of the drains (slowly feeding it back into the auger) and hopefully dragging the blockage out with you.

8) If you don't have a complete blockage, you might find it helpful, after a while, to turn on the hot water a little and repeat the plunging so that anything that is being dislodged as you feed the wire down is washed away down the drain.

9) As a final tip, I'd recommend running the hot tap once the blockage is cleared and further plunging the cable as you slowly feed it back into the auger. This will help clean the cable and wash off any smelly gunge that's been stuck to the cable on the way in.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap 'n cheerfull but it does the job, 21 May 2012
We have had a recurring problem with a blocked drain. Our house was built in the mid-sixties and has external drain pipes from the sink, dishwasher and washing machine that all drain into the same external ground-level hopper. It has a grid intended to keep leaves etc out, but this is only partially effective. My good-lady had a bad habit of disposing of residual cooking oil from frying pans into the sink - thinking that as a liquid it would be ok -add in the greasy water from the dishwasher and soap-laden waste from the washing-machine and you get a recipe for blockages. The pipework under the garden is joined to the soil-pipe prior to going to the inspection hopper, so drain-rods are not a viable option, as there is a hidden junction to negotiate. I had tried all the available drain cleaners, both proprietary and generic caustic-soda, these only gave temporary relief at best. I was on the point of calling out a commercial drain clearing service when I saw this product and thought why not - a few quid compared to a couple of hundred.
The job turned out to be a two-person affair, with one of us guiding the wire round the sump of the hopper and the other feeding out the coil. Resistance was felt with about 8-10 foot of coil extended, and so the screwing commenced - when no further penetration was made the coil was pulled out - the corkscrew end was found to be holding a button, some lint and a fair amount of congealed soap and fat. The exercise was repeated a further two times and the drain flushed with a bucket of water - observation of the outlet in the inspection cover showed a lot of fatty debris mixed with partially decomposed leaves and fibrous debris. A few more flushes followed, with the fourth flowing clear. The day was finished off with a treatment with caustic soda.
That was all about a month ago, and so far no more problems. The tool works, what more can you say.

4.0 out of 5 stars like a fishing rod for your drain, 26 Sep 2010
Nice tool, cheapest price I've seen. Is worth giving this ago if you have a blockage and have tried everything else, the small corkscrew type fitting on the end should allow you to either grip and retrieve the blockage or just push though.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, 10 Feb 2012
Bought this from amazon, our new built house had a slow drain from the kitchen sink from day one, I was dreading the thought of pipe replacement, as there is Underfloor heating above the exit pipe,tried all the usual , three bottles of acid drain unblocker,plummers, power plungers ,and guess what this cheap tool done what all them others couldnt , it solved my problem, a piece of wood kitchen unit carcess,3cms long had got lodged around the corner of the exit pipes 90 bend, 10 min of feeding and turning the snake into the pipe it trapped the piece of mdf Chipboard in its centre and stayed until I extracted it, well worth 5 times the money, worth buying to keep I the shed, highly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on th tin, 13 July 2013
jon miller (ponte vedra beach, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I dislike using chemicals to clear blockages (and this coming from a Chemical Engineer), so this tool seemed like a good idea and at less than ten pounds much cheaper than a plumber's call-out charge; what could I lose?

After pulling out a little of the wire I started to push it along the waste pipe after two meters or so I felt some resistance so I tigntened the locking nut on the tool and started to turn the handle, unlocked the screw and pushed a little more very slight resistance so I pushed more wire through the piping.Then holding an old damp cloth I pulled out the wire , wiping as I retrevied it.

After use I pulled all the wire from the tool and placed it in a bucket with water / disinfectant, dryed it off begore storing it back in the tool.

Easy peasy, sink is now running better than ever-best tool I've brought for a long time

4.0 out of 5 stars Uncoiling & recoiling the flexible wire, 24 Aug 2012
In addition to S Howarth's excellent 04/01/12 review:-

You might initially think that rotating the blue section housing the flexible wire would have something to do with uncoiling/recoiling the wire. It doesn't. The wire has to be pulled out (and fed back in) manually. The intention of rotating the blue section is so as to help the corkscrew end of the wire claw its way into any blockage.

5.0 out of 5 stars It worked!, 23 Jan 2012
External drain which kitchen sink pipe runs into was blocked with fat. Water was standing. Tried about 5 different bottles of unblocking chemicals designed for standing water but to no avail. Was reseigning self to fact that would need to call out plumber when I saw this tool - at the low price I thought it was worth trying first. I'm no plumber - just a housewife - decided to give tool a go. It didn't come with any instructions and the handle simply causes the metal line to turn - not to move in or out - this must be done manually. So out I went in my slippers and Marigolds to give it a bash. Long sleeved Marigolds were necessary as had to stick hand quite far down drain to guide rod through pipe - otherwise it would just fold back upon itself when faced with resistance. Kept feeding rod down and turning handle now and then when suddenly the standing water started to drain!! I was well chuffed! Could have paid a fortune for a plumber and yet it was so simple to clear. Pulled rod out and could see the lardy plug which had been extracted by end of the rod as intended. So, in summary, it worked for me and therefore I thinks it's great. If it doesn't work for you then I guess you won't agree ;-)... but then for the low price it's probably worth a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 8 Nov 2009
Yes, I found it did what I needed it to do, e.g. unblock drains. When finished with the tool the line winds back in and is not lying around getting tangled up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drain unblocker, 27 Feb 2010
P. Hughes "Polymath" (Bowes,UK) - See all my reviews
What a great piece of kit. Apart from looking like Al Capone with a Thompson sub-machine gun as you approach the task, it actually works really well. I used it to remove an obstruction long 20 foot or so of 22mm copper pipe and it snagged it and pulled it out. No need to drain down and dismantle. Magic!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works with no issues, 1 April 2014
Brian Hamilton "brianhamilton14" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I have a waste disposal unit under my kitchen sink and, due to a long pipe run to the main waste pipe, there is often blockages that need overcome.

Luckily for me I don't have to go on an adventure under the floorboards now, this thing follows the twists and turns through the pipe easily and is powerful enough to power through any blockage. Yes, when it is pulled back out it has fat and grease and god knows what else clogging the wire but hey, beats crawling about under the floor.

It looks quite confusing when you first see this and, for some reason, the packaging looks like there is a hen inside, but it can be easily figured out despite the lack of instructions.

This has saved me a couple of trips to subterranean worlds not designed for a 6 foot man so I am happy.

Silverline 395010 Drain Unblocker 6m x 6mm Diameter