5.0 out of 5 stars A real RSI relief
I've been having some serious trouble with RSI at work and at home, and having had a new chair bought for me, moved to a better desk, started taking regular breaks, and performing exercises regularly, I was seeing some let-up, but not any real progress towards normality. I'd even visited specialist doctors who weren't offering me any useful advice.

I decided to...
Published on 8 Jan 2008 by Jonathan Purkis

3.0 out of 5 stars Great at first, but then new pains may appear
Once you get used to it, it is a very good mouse as the position it puts your arm/wrist in feels quite natural. However, I found that after a few months of use, this position does create new pains, especially linked to the ring and little fingers that are somehow under more stress with the vertical mouse.

My advice would be not to ditch it completely, but...
Published on 7 May 2010 by Aledwige

5.0 out of 5 stars A real RSI relief, 8 Jan 2008
Jonathan Purkis "spirojunk" (London, UK) - See all my reviews

I decided to research an alternative mouse and eventually asked my work to buy me this Evoluent mouse. It has been a revolution. The mouse has almost completely got rid of my problem, something I was beginning to think was impossible. I was initially apprehensive because of the price and because there isn't much written about it on the web anywhere, but this mouse is worth every penny. I'm currently toying with the idea of getting one for home. Would be nice if they released a wireless version though....

5.0 out of 5 stars Like holding a cloud., 22 Jan 2008
I. Dobie (UK) - See all my reviews
I was going to get a wireless mouse at first, but then started looking into ergonomic mice, and eventually bought this despite the high price tag - mainly because it seemed more important to me to get rid of my problematic RSI, than to have a wireless mouse, and also becuase of the positive reviews. It's brilliant, really nice to use, the tactile feel is amazing, and it's difficult to emphasise the difference that not twisting your arm makes (which is what you do with a normal mouse). It does look a bit big & weird in the photos, but it's a dream to use and well worth the money. It's like holding a cloud. No really, it is!

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 21 Oct 2007
J. Bullen "Mac and PC user" (London, England) - See all my reviews
Having changed jobs and been given a laptop I found my old ergonomic mouse would not plug into the laptop! I quickly started to to get pain back again in my hand/arm and neck and was desperate for a solution. I read up on the subject and decide to buy this mouse as one of 3 to try (an expensive way to do things but as I couldn't find any to try in the shops and I was in pain, I wanted a quick solution). For info I use a MAC at home and a windows PC at work.

This is a very good looking mouse with a fantastic tactile non-slip rubberised mouse surface (which is a pleasure to hold and seems to aid grip). It requires you to hold your hand almost at right angles to the desk, like shaking hands. This stops you having to twist your arm round to hold your hand palm face down (which is what you have to do with a normal mouse). I plugged it straight into my MAC at home and it worked first time and was EXTREMELY comfortable. At work on my windows laptop it did not seem to work properly (the cursor would not move around the screen properly and was very slow and jerky) which I felt was perhaps down to me not downloading the software required. I didn't do this download the software because it was my mouse and I would have to explain to our IT dept why I wasn't using standard issue Company equipment!

More expensive than the Speed-link ergonomic mouse, which I also bought and is very similar, its design and feel is definitely more upmarket. It feels good to use and and works perfectly on my MAC (I've had it a couple weeks now). Best of all my pain has now gone. I recommend this product to anyone with a MAC and I'm sure with a bit more perseverance than I showed it would probably work just as well on a PC. NB because of its design it is taller than your average mouse (around 7.5cms). I only mention this as if you to use a slide out draw to position your mouse and keyboard you may not be able to close it with this mouse in it - I can't but that hasn't really bothered me at all, I'm too happy with it.

For info I also ordered the 3M Ergonomic mouse and did not get on well with it at all. Even just by holding it for a while just to get the feel of it (before trying to plug it in) my arm/shoulder/neck started hurting. I did not pursue trying to use it the other 2 mice I ordered felt so much better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great at first, but then new pains may appear, 7 May 2010

My advice would be not to ditch it completely, but rather alternate with a regular mouse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big mouse with attitude to match!, 24 Feb 2009
I've just received my Evoluent Vertical Mouse 3 from Hypertec, delivered the day after it was ordered.

I removed my old HP mouse and plugged the Evoluent in and it worked without any fuss. I had to remedy the pointer speed as it was flying round my 2 screens but that was easy enough through the control panel. I downloaded the driver from the Evoluent site as described in the accompanying instructions. This provided a link in the Quick Launch panel to allow me to re-arrange the button functions as required as well as pointer speed etc. There is an array of functions to which you can allocate the buttons and wheel, or if you prefer turn some off until you get used to the mouse. There is a tendency to hit a button inadvertently when you move the mouse around.

I have large hands so being able to grab a meaty mouse in the way it's possible makes it very comfortable. The hand angle removes any physical stress that may have been present with the traditional mouse.

I found myself at ease with it straight away. It will take a short while to fully get used to the new hand position and for things to become totally automatic but it is a totally different concept.

First impression is really good and can't imagine I would want to go back to the traditional mouse.

It is a little pricey in comparison to the traditional types but when you tot up the hours with your hand on the bloomin' thing each day, and times that by the number of days, weeks, months and years you will be using it, does it really matter?!

Your mouse will soon become your unexpected friend - but don't neglect your partner!

1.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, terrible execution, 10 Jun 2012
I bought the Vertical Mouse 3 for work a few years ago to help with a trapped nerve problem. Just changing my hand position to the vertical made a huge different and after a few hours with this mouse, I did not like getting back to my colleagues' standard mice.

And for 14 months, I had a great mouse. The buttons worked perfectly, the customization of the additional buttons was a bonus, and the tracking was flawless.

Then, the mouse started randomly not working. Initially I thought it was a driver problem, so I re-installed. Then I thought it was my USB port, but no luck there. Then I thought there was a problem with my OS, so I brought it home to try on another PC/OS version. Still same problem, mouse randomly disconnects from PC (ding dong sound from PC when you unplug a USB device), and after a couple of seconds, reconnects (ding dong sound when you re-connect a USB device).

I contacted Evoluent directly who eventually agreed to replace the device, but they insisted on seeing the original invoice (credit card receipt not good enough). I couldn't produce it because it was in my now defunct Lycos email address, and even though I was happy to send them their defective product and show them a credit card receipt for the amount advertised, they refused to proceed.

60 down the drain. I tried to open the device as a last resort to see if I could attempt to repair it, and found the problem. The cable, which is very thin compared to microsoft/logitech cables is kinked at a right angle by design in the device, and it seems this caused the wires inside to break. Hence the random disconnect/reconnect, every time the wires didn't touch.

I ended up junking the device and bought a microsoft ergonomic mouse instead, which has been fine for a while now.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only mouse I can use, 29 May 2009
Clever Spud (Birmingham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I've been using one of these for a while now and I'd like to echo all the reviews that point out how excellent and effective it is at reducing the pain, tingling and numbness associated with RSI/Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

I always had one gripe though, the buttons used for navigating backwards and forwards through, eg, web pages, are counter-intuitive by default. You can swap the functions using the Evoluent software, so that the thumb button is mapped to back and the pinky button mapped to forward.

However there are no drivers for 64bit Vista or Windows 7. If you check the Evoluent site you'll see they recommend a program called "X-Mouse Button Control" and I'm currently using it with great results on the W7 Release Candidate. Oh and it's free and really lightweight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Evoluent Vertical Mouse 3, 2 July 2009
Spen King (Solihull, UK) - See all my reviews
I began looking into ergonomic mice after developing severe pains in my hand and wrist. I spend many hours a day at the desk as a CAD user and I had to find a way to ease the discomfort. After looking at a number of reviews I decided to give this one a try.

At first a struggled to get used to the different orientation and button layout and in the first couple of days I wondered if I had wasted the company's money. It's a very expensive device compared to a normal mouse (and I had to convince my boss this was a worthwhile purchase).

Well, by the end of the week I had got the hang of this new mouse. Now I would not be without it. Combined with taking regular short breaks and wrist/arm exercises I now find I can manage much longer days before the discomfort becomes a problem.

As a SolidWorks user I found the supplied drivers caused some of the Solidworks mouse button functions to be lost, which drove me mad until I tried the standard Windows mouse drivers. Now everything works as it should. I have had the same problem in the past with Logitech mouse drivers too, so I shan't knock any points off for this.

I have found the optical tracking to be accurate on most surfaces, so full marks here too.

I have not tried any other ergo mice so I cannot make comparisons. All I can say is that this one has made a huge difference for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as previous versions, 18 Jun 2010
J. C. Baker - See all my reviews
I have been a user of the earlier (v2) version of this mouse for over 18 months and have been very happy with it.

However, I am very disappointed with this new v3 as the mouse tracking is appalling. Although this mouse tracks to a higher DPI than previous versions and lets you adjust the sensitivity of the tracking it simply does not work well in practice.

On a shiny surface or normal desk it is particularly bad. On a pad or other surface it is better but not good enough.

The ergonomic position is excellent which is why I was a fan of the previous version. With this version the poor tracking means that you need to grip the mouse tighter and user more movements to get it do what you want it to do and this defeats the whole object of an ergonomic mouse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 16 Jun 2008
T. Leunig "Dr Tim Leunig" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Four years on, this mouse is just as good as ever. My RSI (back of hands, and elbow) has not come back. I now have one in both my offices, and at home, and even made it a condition of employment when I got a new job. It really is that good.

Here is what I said four years ago:
This has massively reduced the pains in my arm. Cannot recommend it highly enough. Intuitive after one day. I now have one in each of my offices, and one at home. They seem to last well as well.

ARRAY(0xa218c174)