Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 16 September 2007
· This is the second album from country music singer/ songwriter Miranda Lambert. Her 1st album is called KEROSENE.
· She was born on the 10/11/1983 in Longview Texas, but was raised in Lindale Texas.
· Seeing Garth Brooks in concert as a child started her on the road to loving country music, along with other influences Jack Ingram, Merle Haggard and Sheryl Crow.

This album lasts 37 minutes 32 seconds in total, and features 11 tracks =

1. GUNPOWDER AND LEAD 3:11 #His fist's big but my gun's bigger, he'll find out when I pull the trigger. #
A fast song about a woman in an abusive relationship who fights back, a female anthem 9/10, would've been 10/10 but the noise at the start of this track annoys me!

2. DRY TOWN (a Gillian Welch cover) 2:42 #So I turn right around, no hesitation, cursed the law for ruinin' the nation. #
A fast song about a town that has no beer or liquor for miles around! 9/10.

3. FAMOUS IN A SMALL TOWN 4:05 #They say life is so much sweeter through the telephoto lens of fame, around here you get just as much attention cheerin' at the high school football game. #
This song starts off slow and then picks up speed. It's based on Lamberts "really strong raising" in the tiny town of Lindale, Texas 9/10.

4. CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND 3:07 #Baby to a hammer everything looks like a nail. #
A fast paced song about a woman who seeks out the female dog who stole her boyfriend! 10/10.

5. LOVE LETTERS 2:44 A slow song with lyrics similar to Alanis Morissette's song IRONIC ~ #Love letters on wet paper, forgivers and no takers, an angel who never got wings, you find Jesus and it's too late, he's already closed the front gate, and the signs flashin' no vacancy# 9/10.

6. DESPERATION 3:21 A fast song with gentle vocals. The songs chorus = #Desperation, there's danger in frustration. Complicated words slippin' off of your tongue and ain't one of them the truth, I'm still desperate for you. # 8/10.

7. MORE LIKE HER 3:28 A slow song, that's beautifully sung ~ #I should have held on to my pride, I should have never let you lie, I guess you got what you deserved, I guess I should've been more like her# 9/10.

8. DOWN 3:54 A fast paced song ~ #Strong man lived like a Jackson hole, took my heart and broke my soul, left a dark place in my chest, I sleep but I don't rest. #
A very catchy song, easy to sing along to, 10/10.

9. GUILTY IN HERE 2:42 A fast paced song ~ #What became of all the boys who only want one thing, Will someone tell me what I'm doin' wrong, 'Cause the good ones all got wedding rings, and the young ones are just too dumb, I don't think I have any more room underneath my thumb. #
Funny, and another very catchy female anthem, 10/10.

10. GETTING READY (by Patty Griffin) 3:21 A fast paced song ~ #Oh, baby you're my drug, and I was just your cigarette# 10/10.

11. EASY FROM NOW ON (by Carlene Carter) 4:36 #It's gonna be easy to fill the heart of a thirsty woman, harder to kill the ghost of a no good man. #
Another slow song that's beautifully sung, 10/10.

Lambert's been writing and playing professionally since she was 17, and has a passion for country music ~ "No matter what I'm singing, I want to say something that makes people think. I want people to hear my songs and feel something. I want to be appreciated as someone whose music is REAL."

If you like Miranda's sound, then you'll like: Aimee Mann, Allison Moorer, Buddy Jewell, Chely Wright, Gretchen Wilson, Jamie Oneal, Kasey Chambers, Terri Clark and Tift Merritt.

Also, song words are included with this album.
55 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 15 October 2007
Well that's a kick in the teeth for anyone that thought "Kerosene" was a one off blast of attitude fuelled country. Because this tops even that. A remarkable effort from Miranda Lambert, who is shaping up to be a country legend in the making.

The only thing that might hold her back is the scattershot approach to genres that she takes on, from straight southern rock to twang filled country to commercial ballads. Folks do like to pigeonhole their country artists, and by not taking the easy way out, Ms Lambert might find some doors staying closed.

Me, I don't care, as long as she gets to keep on making records as good as this one. Add in her songwriting talent, a band firing on all cylinders and enough kicking your ass intent to make Gretchen Wilson seem like a little old lady, then season and serve. The two biggies round my way are the opening, revenge fueled 'Gunpowder & Lead' where she's warning that "his fist is big, but my gun's bigger" and 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" the track, which is close to being every guys worst nightmare. Both are up tempo rockers that just beg to be blasted out loud.

But she can handle the slower paced material just as well with 'Desperation' and the intensity of 'Down' highlighting a remarkable range for one so young. When she does look for other writers material, she heads for the big guns with a 'Dry Town' (by Gillian Welch) and a new song from Patty Griffin ('Getting Ready') showing, perhaps, where she sees her future.

But for now, she's absolutely 100% the best at what she does, with nary a moment of filler anywhere to be found on a bright, sassy, sexy and nasty album that thoroughly deserves all the plaudits flung its way. Outstanding.
on 8 July 2008
Lambert's follow-up to her debut 'Kerosene' doesn't disappoint.

You get the traditional country sound and humour of 'Dry Town' along with the angry, jealous woman on the edgier, more modern-sounding title track. This heavier 'foot to the floor' treatment is also given to 'Gunpowder And Lead' on which we completely root for the woman striking back against an abusive partner, and again on the menacing 'Down', in which a woman crushed by 'a strong man.... in Jackson Hole' takes emotional revenge on 'a little boy in Baton Rouge' and sounds a warning to other men to 'stay away from me'.

The break-up heartache of 'Love Letters' preceeds 'Desperation', on which Miranda re-visits themes, such as, continuing to long for someone despite knowing the relationship is not the right one.

The poignant 'More Like Her' tells of the lover of an attractive but damaged woman being drawn back to the simple beauty of his original partner.

Being aware of engaging in deceit but not being completely uncomfortable with the resultant guilt is the theme of 'Guilty In Here' while 'Getting Ready' is advance warning to a guy about to be dumped.

'Famous In A Small Town' equals no secrets in a small town.

The album closes with the much-covered but still wonderful 1976 Carlene Carter co-penned song, 'Easy From Now On'.

So, no tricky second album here - Miranda's still firmly on track. This littl' girl's pure quality.
People can make up their own minds about whether this is really a country music album or not, but irrespective of that, it is certainly an album filled with high quality music. The interesting statistic is that despite (or because of) the album going platinum in America, the four singles released from the album didn't perform as well as one might expect. Only one (Gunpowder and lead) made the top 10 in the country charts, while the title track and first single only just made the top 50.

While most of the songs are originals, there's a great cover of Easy from now on, which was the title track of Emmylou's album Quarter Moon in a Ten Cent Town (the album title being a phrase in the song), and which I've also heard on a Carlene Carter album.

This is a fine album that provided Miranda with a second consecutive platinum album in America, and she has had two more since. Her next album is called Platinum. Clearly, expectations are high.
on 14 May 2007
Miranda Lambert has managed to overcome the demons that usually come with a second album, after well recieved debut. The opening track , Gunpowder and Lead is a about a woman fighting back while being in an abusive relationship, Lambert makes you believe that she can take on this man. The title track is a female anthem and once again you wouldn't want to cross Lambert. Although Lambert manages to convince the listener that she's a strong woman, on the the ballads her softer side is just as believable as she invites you to feel her pain, especially with the track Desperation. Overall an excellent album and I will be perchasing more of her work.
on 28 June 2011
I stumbled across Miranda Lambert by chance one day, while surfing the net, and absolutely loved her twist on modern country music.
I just love this album, especially the songs, 'Gunpowder and Lead', 'Dry Town' 'Famous in a small town' and 'More like her'. This album is very diverse with each song being really unique and different that leaves you no room to get bored.
If you have never listened to Miranda Lambert and you are a fan of Country music then i would urge you to listen to her.
I love the way in which she puts attitude in most of her songs, enabling the listeners to connect with the songs.
So if you've not already done so, give this album a go, you will not be dissapointed!
VINE VOICEon 9 May 2007
Lambert found fame on Nashville Star (the sort of Country music American Idol), although she didn't win the thing. Still mixing her traditional sound and her not exactly ugly looks with a genuine talent for song-writing and more than a little of that all important attitude, it seemed like there was a winning combination to unleash on the record buying public.

And in many ways there is, but is the music any good? Her second album suggests that it is...most of the time.

There's no doubt that when Lambert lets rip, such as on Gunpowder & Lead or the title track, her blend of, humorous, aggression and grittiness can provide a winning formula. However it's a trick she tries a few too many times, to ever decreasing effect. Indeed it's perhaps telling that the real stand out track on the album, Dry Town, is a more traditional honky-tonk sounding song. It also has the catchiest and most memorable chorus.

Her ballad's are also of little consequence; they're not bad but lack that little something that would set them apart from the plethora of similar tracks on hundreds of albums every year.

Your Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is not a terrible album, but neither is it the great album the best tracks suggest it could have been. Still you could do a lot worse.
on 21 October 2008
Being a metal/rock fan, I happened upon this lady by trying to find a good radio station whilst busy in the kitchen. I heard Gunpowder & Lead being played and loved it instantly! Turned out I had tuned into a C & W awards countdown for female artists. I hurried to the computer & bought this CD. I've always liked the old C&W due to my Dad listening to it, but never bought anything myself. Well this CD is fantastic! Its cheery, upbeat & fun :) I have been looking around for something similar and hope I'm going to stumble on another groovy chick to give my ears a rest from all the shouting & screaming I normally listen to! Miranda you ROCK!!!
on 12 May 2007
This is the second album of Miranda Lambert. The first album was realy good but her new album is even better. So, if you liked the first album you must certainly by this album.

Country rocks! and so does Miranda Lambert!
on 24 June 2012
She is probably the best female artist in country music today, but this is not a country record, but a brilliant rock album. Her next 2 records were good, but not as great as this. In fact I think this is one of the best records by any female artist of any genre.