Top positive review
16 people found this helpful
A Grammy nominated genius!
on 16 September 2007
· This is the second album from country music singer/ songwriter Miranda Lambert. Her 1st album is called KEROSENE.
· She was born on the 10/11/1983 in Longview Texas, but was raised in Lindale Texas.
· Seeing Garth Brooks in concert as a child started her on the road to loving country music, along with other influences Jack Ingram, Merle Haggard and Sheryl Crow.
This album lasts 37 minutes 32 seconds in total, and features 11 tracks =
1. GUNPOWDER AND LEAD 3:11 #His fist's big but my gun's bigger, he'll find out when I pull the trigger. #
A fast song about a woman in an abusive relationship who fights back, a female anthem 9/10, would've been 10/10 but the noise at the start of this track annoys me!
2. DRY TOWN (a Gillian Welch cover) 2:42 #So I turn right around, no hesitation, cursed the law for ruinin' the nation. #
A fast song about a town that has no beer or liquor for miles around! 9/10.
3. FAMOUS IN A SMALL TOWN 4:05 #They say life is so much sweeter through the telephoto lens of fame, around here you get just as much attention cheerin' at the high school football game. #
This song starts off slow and then picks up speed. It's based on Lamberts "really strong raising" in the tiny town of Lindale, Texas 9/10.
4. CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND 3:07 #Baby to a hammer everything looks like a nail. #
A fast paced song about a woman who seeks out the female dog who stole her boyfriend! 10/10.
5. LOVE LETTERS 2:44 A slow song with lyrics similar to Alanis Morissette's song IRONIC ~ #Love letters on wet paper, forgivers and no takers, an angel who never got wings, you find Jesus and it's too late, he's already closed the front gate, and the signs flashin' no vacancy# 9/10.
6. DESPERATION 3:21 A fast song with gentle vocals. The songs chorus = #Desperation, there's danger in frustration. Complicated words slippin' off of your tongue and ain't one of them the truth, I'm still desperate for you. # 8/10.
7. MORE LIKE HER 3:28 A slow song, that's beautifully sung ~ #I should have held on to my pride, I should have never let you lie, I guess you got what you deserved, I guess I should've been more like her# 9/10.
8. DOWN 3:54 A fast paced song ~ #Strong man lived like a Jackson hole, took my heart and broke my soul, left a dark place in my chest, I sleep but I don't rest. #
A very catchy song, easy to sing along to, 10/10.
9. GUILTY IN HERE 2:42 A fast paced song ~ #What became of all the boys who only want one thing, Will someone tell me what I'm doin' wrong, 'Cause the good ones all got wedding rings, and the young ones are just too dumb, I don't think I have any more room underneath my thumb. #
Funny, and another very catchy female anthem, 10/10.
10. GETTING READY (by Patty Griffin) 3:21 A fast paced song ~ #Oh, baby you're my drug, and I was just your cigarette# 10/10.
11. EASY FROM NOW ON (by Carlene Carter) 4:36 #It's gonna be easy to fill the heart of a thirsty woman, harder to kill the ghost of a no good man. #
Another slow song that's beautifully sung, 10/10.
Lambert's been writing and playing professionally since she was 17, and has a passion for country music ~ "No matter what I'm singing, I want to say something that makes people think. I want people to hear my songs and feel something. I want to be appreciated as someone whose music is REAL."
If you like Miranda's sound, then you'll like: Aimee Mann, Allison Moorer, Buddy Jewell, Chely Wright, Gretchen Wilson, Jamie Oneal, Kasey Chambers, Terri Clark and Tift Merritt.
Also, song words are included with this album.