5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive for the price!
As a D40 owner, i was somewhat disappointed to find that i was limited by which lenses i could buy. Thankfully most of the zoom lenses that Nikon produce are AF-S and thus will autofocus fine.

Now, i was sorely tempted by a 70-300mm VR lens, but the price was simply to high to justify (as a keen amateur!). So, i ended up getting one of these instead - and...
Published on 30 Mar 2009 by Josh

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
This seemed the perfect telephoto for someone who doesn't often use a telephoto, so wanted something light, cheap, but providing reasonable quality.
Don't know if it was sample variation, but my copy showed poor corners, inconsistent focus, and strangely unpredictable vibration reduction. It was worse much than a non-VR Tamron 55-200, a much cheaper and less well...
Published on 22 May 2011 by Murray56

‹ Previous | 1 2 349 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A great companion for the Nikon D40/D40x, 1 Feb 2008
Mr. G. D. Owens (Berks. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens (Camera)
A great lens for a tiny price! This is an excellent lens to really take you a step further into the world of digital SLR photography.

I've owned the D40 for about 7-8 months and I finally decided that I'd like to be able to pick out features and have a bit more flexibililty with zoom. So after reading around I decided upon this for it's ability, but mainly becasue of the price tag! A quality lens for this much money is a nobrainer. The VR is essential, especially in low light situations and i've got excellent results with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mega Value and great quality, 25 Nov 2007
Bought this lens in Tokyo to go with my D40X. Awesome value for a genuine Nikon lens. Works perfectly alongside the stock 18-55mm standard lens.
good price on Amazon, i paid similar in tokyo!.
VR works great on max zoom. 10 out of 10...

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 13 Dec 2008
Rob Collins "Bobby C" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens (Camera)
We bought this for taking wildlife shots on our honeymoon in Costa Rica with a Nikon D40. We were not disappointed at all. It's incredible how crisp and clear the VR can make shots even at maximum zoom. I'm only an amateur photographer but friends and family have been amazed at how many great shots we took. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nikon 55-200mm F4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Lens, 1 Jun 2010
R. Hall (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens (Camera)
The main attractions of this lens for me are -
1. It complements the kit (18-55mm) lens that came with the Nikon D3000 DSLR camera to give me reasonably broad zoom coverage
2. It allows auto-focus and has vibration reduction (image stabalisation). My hands are a bit shaky so this is useful to me. Nikon build these features into the lens rather than the camera body.

These coupled with the fact that it was selling for the cheapest price advertised by any retailer with a good feedback record made my mind up. It arrived very promptly and was well packaged (though I did end up collecting it from a DHL depot, that's not the vendor's nor Amazon's fault).

In use it has worked flawlessly so far. It's a lightweight plastic lens with a rubberised effect coating on the barrel, made in China of course, and has given me very pleasing results. I gererally use it for static landscape style photos so I can't really comment on its suitability for action shots.

I dislike the fact that the lens cap isn't tethered to the lens or camera but that's a minor point.

Note that this lens is F4.0-5.6 and not F4.5-5.6 as described.

I'd like to buy one or two other Nikkor lenses but they either massively overlap the coverage I already have or the prices are prohibitive for an improving "snapper" like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lens, 1 Feb 2009
This review is from: Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens (Camera)
Nikon's reputation goes without saying, but this really is a stunningly good quality medium telephoto for the money. Picture sharpness is all that you would expect from Nikon and the vibration reduction system does exactly what it says. A great lens, I have been delighted with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the box, 1 Jun 2009
K. Woollacott (Somerset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens (Camera)
Having been away from 'serious' amateur photography for many years I had recently purchased a Nikon D60 dSLR and was looking for a lens to supplement the standard 18-55mm lens. I would have liked the 70-300mm (Nikon AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED) but the price was prohibitively expensive; this lens is a steal at the price. The image is sharp, the autofocus is quick, it's not heavy - what more could you want?

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good lens, 2 Aug 2010
This review is from: Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens (Camera)
It's a great lens. Sharp, handles well, lightweight and compact.

It doesn't go to really wide apertures, but to get that you need to spend serious cash and then it'll be a heavy professional (and big) lens.

I have tried the 70-300mm lens on my camera (nikon D60) and it's a great lens and gives you a bit more zoom, but it's much heavier and much bigger. I thought about it, but this lens is so light and, more importantly, I would have felt like a bit of a tool walking around with a lens that big on my camera.

The images have good contrast, are sharp and delivers good skin tones, I've noticed.

The depth of field is shallow enough when you're zoomed-in too.

Incredible price. See Ken Rockwell's comparison with the 70-300mm. Apart from the 70-300mm delivering SLIGHTLY better contrast, there's no difference.

I'm very happy with it indeed. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bit of kit, 29 Jan 2009
Christopher Guyer "Crispy1980Guy" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens (Camera)
I used to own a Canon 400d, I was using the 70-300mm lens on this which took some amazing shots for a good price. I now use a Nikon D60, this lens is essential if you have a d40/d40x etc. It takes amazingly clear pictures. I personally love using it for portraits as you can get a really nice depth of field. The Vibration Reduction is seriously good, works well even at full zoom. I do miss the extra zoom from my 70-300, but all round, this is a much better choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars A keen home photographers review, 23 Oct 2012
KM (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens (Camera)
I've had this lens for just over a year now and feel able to comment after a fair bit of use on the Nikon D90 and 3000.

The Nikkon 55-200mm is an entry level telephoto type lens that has auto focus and vibration reduction capabilities. It compliments the 18-55mm kit lens on the D3000 nicely and is ideal for portrait, wildlife and sports photography plus day to day use at the lower end. The build quality of this lens is definitely reflected in the cheap price but don't let that put you off as it is adequate enough as long as you look after it. When zooming in and out the movement is smooth with no creaks or juddering. On a big plus side its quite light in weight which when walking around (Hill walking/climbing) for upto eight hours makes a big difference. I've had brilliant shots from Derbyshire, The Lakes and Snowdonia. The vibration reduction feature is brilliant in my experience. At full zoom it really comes into its own and there is a very noticeable difference with it on, far better quality pictures optically and clarity is excellent. You will notice that as you half press the shutter release your image will suddenly stabilize, great stuff. There is some softness and fringing at the edges at 200mm but. . .more often than not your subject will be central at full zoom therefore this won't be a problem!

Standing approx 1metre away and at full zoom you can get some cracking macro shots with detail. I've taken some great shots of butterflies, bees and other insects/flowers during the summer. This is also a great portrait lens. Stand back, full zoom with a wide aperture and you get a sharp subject with a nicely blurred background. I took this kind of shot of each person (with my partner) at my partner's 50th a few months ago to make a montage. Even cropped they're sharp which is down to the VR function when on full zoom. I've sent quite a few copies out and they were all very impressed thankfully! I whizzed around each person like lightening and this lens was a pleasure to use.

So, yes I really like this lens! At this affordable price (compared to the 70-300mm) you're getting great functionality as an avid home photographer. Like for like its not 'that' different to the 300mm except in build quality and of course zoom! With a great auto focus and vibration reduction, lightweight too you can't go wrong in my opinion.

If you're happy with the 18-55mm and 18-105mm kit lenses on the D3000 and D90 then I'd definitely go for this.

Highly recommended.

If. . .you're thinking of astronomical photography (connecting this to a telescope) I'd go for the 70-300mm!

Hope this helps, good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars The D40 needs this lens, 29 May 2009
This review is from: Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens (Camera)
I cannot add more to the excellent (5-star) reviews already submitted, but I have just purchased this lens and can only say that it does the D40 real justice, if you don't mind swapping with the kit 18-55 when you need it (splash out on the Nikon 18-200MM F3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR DX if you do not want to swap lenses) I would actually say this lens is essential, matched to a D40, with the kit lens, I can see no need for anything else for day to day photography.

‹ Previous | 1 2 349 | Next ›