5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive for the price!
As a D40 owner, i was somewhat disappointed to find that i was limited by which lenses i could buy. Thankfully most of the zoom lenses that Nikon produce are AF-S and thus will autofocus fine.

Published on 30 Mar 2009 by Josh

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
This seemed the perfect telephoto for someone who doesn't often use a telephoto, so wanted something light, cheap, but providing reasonable quality.
Don't know if it was sample variation, but my copy showed poor corners, inconsistent focus, and strangely unpredictable vibration reduction. It was worse much than a non-VR Tamron 55-200, a much cheaper and less well...
Published on 22 May 2011 by Murray56

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive for the price!, 30 Mar 2009
This review is from: Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens (Camera)

Now, i was sorely tempted by a 70-300mm VR lens, but the price was simply to high to justify (as a keen amateur!). So, i ended up getting one of these instead - and it's possibly my favourite lens at the moment (i also have a Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8 and the Nikon AF-S 18-55mm kit).

I didn't have much chance to mess around with it at home (not much to shoot) so i took it with me to London this week to see how it performed. The first thing i noticed was how sharp my pictures were coming out. I've had a lot of use focussing manually with the 50mm, so nice automatic focussing was a pleasure! It's not the fastest in the world to focus, but it's good enough to get a bird in flight without too much of a problem.

The actual zoom range is great, if you hunger after something a bit longer than your kit lens then you won't be disappointed. With a zoom of around 4 times, if you own the 18-55 kit lens you'll have 10x optical zoom to play with, (200/55 = 3.6). Whilst the actual magnification isn't a large number, the actual focal length trounces most consumer cameras. Put simply, i was getting a bit of flak from my friends about "only having 3x optical zoom and not being able to 'get in further'". This lens shut them up nicely.

Get VR if at all possible, it compensates for your hand shaking slightly when you take your photos and lets you get down to slightly lower shutter speeds/smaller apertures if you need them.

Size wise it's small, a bit longer than the D40 kit lens and it comes with a handy lens hood. You'll need to get a clear filter to protect the front element - it'll take a 52mm diameter filter.

If you can afford it then i'd say get the 70-300, but this is stonking value for money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive performance for the money, 19 Jun 2009
I am strictly an amateur photographer who likes to record my real passion, travel, so I bought this lens 2 months ago. I can't comment on long term durability, however I have just come back from 2 weeks travel in Alaska where it performed faultlessly. It was constantly swapped with the standard lens on my D40 which I used to shoot over 1100 images of landscapes and wildlife. The lens coped well with experimental shots of birds in full flight at maximum zoom and produced suprisingly sharp images. Bears, seals, moose and other more static subjects filled the viewfinder nicely and left me in no doubts that I had done the right thing to buy this in addition to the standard 18 - 55 lens (which is great for the huge landscapes and close shots of plant life). My only regret is that I can't afford the 300mm VR Nikon lens but for half the money this is a real bargain.
Lens changes were quick and the plastic lens mount won't be a problem if you are careful and patient with your equipment.
The bigger lens does add some weight to the camera but I found the VR system worked well to stabilise camera shake even on maximum zoom. The lens' AF worked well even on the camera's auto settings; I am still exploring the manual settings being a DSLR newbie. Overall I am really happy with the lens and would recommend it to other amateurs looking to extend their camera's (and their own) repertoire.

5.0 out of 5 stars The obvious next step for Nikon D series SLR owners..., 24 Sep 2007
If you own a Nikon D series SLR with its stock autofocus DX series zoom lens rated at 18-55mm new style (equivalent to 27-83mm old style), this is the obvious next step purchase. Rated at 55-200mm new style (83-300mm old style) it's small, light and really does cut out camera shake to allow genuine "point & shoot" at its higher focal lengths, giving you a "tripod-less", perfectly matched combination of two autofocus Nikkor lenses covering a full 18-200mm (27-300mm old style). Just perfect... and, for the price, stunningly good value.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good performer, 26 May 2007
Mandar Marathe (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens (Camera)
Announced in March 2007, this is one of Nikon's latest DX lenses for digital cameras. I have been using this lens on my D40. Compared with the 18-55mm kit lens, this lens not only extends the zoom range, but it also delivers sharper photos. As far as I can tell, it is the same lens as the previous 55-200mm lens, but with Vibration Reduction (VR) technology which is essential at high zooms. When you press the shutter half-way, the VR is activated and you can actually see a visible difference through the viewfinder! The lens makes a humming sound while the VR system is active. I would recommend that you don't go for the old non-VR lens - pay 100 extra and get one like this with VR. It will make a big difference. The only problem is that now I have experienced the 55-200mm VR, I have started to crave for the 70-300mm VR! The VR system does drain the battery life, so be careful about this when you are out and about - every time you depress the shutter button half way to focus, the VR is activated. Also, I have noticed that when the VR does kick in, it causes a degree of camera shake which may be significant if you have perfectly framed your shot. So for these reasons I have given 4 stars rather than 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the box, 1 Jun 2009
K. Woollacott (Somerset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens (Camera)
Having been away from 'serious' amateur photography for many years I had recently purchased a Nikon D60 dSLR and was looking for a lens to supplement the standard 18-55mm lens. I would have liked the 70-300mm (Nikon AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED) but the price was prohibitively expensive; this lens is a steal at the price. The image is sharp, the autofocus is quick, it's not heavy - what more could you want?

5.0 out of 5 stars Mega Value and great quality, 25 Nov 2007
Bought this lens in Tokyo to go with my D40X. Awesome value for a genuine Nikon lens. Works perfectly alongside the stock 18-55mm standard lens.
good price on Amazon, i paid similar in tokyo!.
VR works great on max zoom. 10 out of 10...

4.0 out of 5 stars A great companion for the Nikon D40/D40x, 1 Feb 2008
Mr. G. D. Owens (Berks. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens (Camera)
A great lens for a tiny price! This is an excellent lens to really take you a step further into the world of digital SLR photography.

I've owned the D40 for about 7-8 months and I finally decided that I'd like to be able to pick out features and have a bit more flexibililty with zoom. So after reading around I decided upon this for it's ability, but mainly becasue of the price tag! A quality lens for this much money is a nobrainer. The VR is essential, especially in low light situations and i've got excellent results with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens!, 9 July 2007
Mr. J. BROWN (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens (Camera)
I was immediatly impressed with this lens. It feels well made and sturdy. The image quality seems impressive, and the Vibration Reduction works extremely well, making telephoto shots a pleasure to take. I would recommend getting this over the non-VR version anyday, it really is worth the extra money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent lens, 17 Aug 2010
gadgetlover (Cambs, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens (Camera)
Having purchased the D3000 some months ago, I realised the obvious limitations of the standard lens supplied (18-55mm). This larger lens seemed to have generally favourable reviews, so I opted to buy it ready for my holiday. Despite leaving it rather late to order, the lens arrived in plenty of time, so very good service from the supplier.

The lens is an excellent size and weight, and is very well balanced with the camera. It's very easy to attach, and straightforward to use. It seems robust so far, although I won't go throwing it around. This lens is not much bigger than the 18-55mm lens, and is small enough for me to keep it attached to the camera in the bag.

Its performance is as good as I would have expected, and any problems with focussing are down to my competence, and experimentation.

Results are very good, with the best providing professional looking images.

All in all, I'm very pleased with both the purchase, and the service of the supplier.

5.0 out of 5 stars One long lens, 16 Feb 2008
Mr. Alan Chivers "gyethhound" (Crawley, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens (Camera)
I've come back to photography after twenty-five years away so I still think in 35mm terms. I have this lens on my D40 and was very surprised at its long range which will be quite enough for me to take cricket photos this summer. I have a bad tremor but seem to have no problem getting good results with this lens so the VR works. The autofocus is something else but manual focusing is easy enough. For the money I don't think you could get any better but keep your 18-55mm to hand because I think you'll need both.

ARRAY(0xa655cd80)