5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive for the price!
As a D40 owner, i was somewhat disappointed to find that i was limited by which lenses i could buy. Thankfully most of the zoom lenses that Nikon produce are AF-S and thus will autofocus fine.

Published on 30 Mar 2009 by Josh

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
This seemed the perfect telephoto for someone who doesn't often use a telephoto, so wanted something light, cheap, but providing reasonable quality.
Don't know if it was sample variation, but my copy showed poor corners, inconsistent focus, and strangely unpredictable vibration reduction. It was worse much than a non-VR Tamron 55-200, a much cheaper and less well...
Published on 22 May 2011 by Murray56

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive for the price!, 30 Mar 2009
This review is from: Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens (Camera)

Now, i was sorely tempted by a 70-300mm VR lens, but the price was simply to high to justify (as a keen amateur!). So, i ended up getting one of these instead - and it's possibly my favourite lens at the moment (i also have a Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8 and the Nikon AF-S 18-55mm kit).

I didn't have much chance to mess around with it at home (not much to shoot) so i took it with me to London this week to see how it performed. The first thing i noticed was how sharp my pictures were coming out. I've had a lot of use focussing manually with the 50mm, so nice automatic focussing was a pleasure! It's not the fastest in the world to focus, but it's good enough to get a bird in flight without too much of a problem.

The actual zoom range is great, if you hunger after something a bit longer than your kit lens then you won't be disappointed. With a zoom of around 4 times, if you own the 18-55 kit lens you'll have 10x optical zoom to play with, (200/55 = 3.6). Whilst the actual magnification isn't a large number, the actual focal length trounces most consumer cameras. Put simply, i was getting a bit of flak from my friends about "only having 3x optical zoom and not being able to 'get in further'". This lens shut them up nicely.

Get VR if at all possible, it compensates for your hand shaking slightly when you take your photos and lets you get down to slightly lower shutter speeds/smaller apertures if you need them.

Size wise it's small, a bit longer than the D40 kit lens and it comes with a handy lens hood. You'll need to get a clear filter to protect the front element - it'll take a 52mm diameter filter.

If you can afford it then i'd say get the 70-300, but this is stonking value for money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon 55-200 VR Lens, 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens (Camera)
I ordered this lens to go with a new Nikon D3200 (my first DSLR, a present from my wife).

I was a bit dubious, having been brought up with film rather than digital, and an ingrained distrust of zooms. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the kit lens (18-55 zoom), and by the high proportion of positive reviews for the 55-200, so went ahead, partly influenced by the incredible value for money.

I've only been using the equipment for a few weeks, and haven't done any 'scientific' testing, but early results are very impressive, so very pleased with the purchase.

Biggest advantage of choosing this lens is that it's a match for the 18-55 kit lens, especially in the way it handles. AF/Manual switch, VR switch, zoom ring and focus ring all work in the same way and are similarly located on the two lenses.
(From past experience, Sigma and Tamron make excellent lenses, but it can be confusing switching from the camera manufacturer's lens to an aftermarket lens, however good the quality.)

Another advantage is that the filter thread is the same (52mm) so there's no need to duplicate filters in different sizes.

All things considered, a very good buy. At this price, an ideal way to add versatility to that first DSLR outfit. And, if first impressions are to be trusted, equally suitable for the really experienced enthusiast.

5.0 out of 5 stars The obvious next step for Nikon D series SLR owners..., 24 Sep 2007
If you own a Nikon D series SLR with its stock autofocus DX series zoom lens rated at 18-55mm new style (equivalent to 27-83mm old style), this is the obvious next step purchase. Rated at 55-200mm new style (83-300mm old style) it's small, light and really does cut out camera shake to allow genuine "point & shoot" at its higher focal lengths, giving you a "tripod-less", perfectly matched combination of two autofocus Nikkor lenses covering a full 18-200mm (27-300mm old style). Just perfect... and, for the price, stunningly good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive performance for the money, 19 Jun 2009
I am strictly an amateur photographer who likes to record my real passion, travel, so I bought this lens 2 months ago. I can't comment on long term durability, however I have just come back from 2 weeks travel in Alaska where it performed faultlessly. It was constantly swapped with the standard lens on my D40 which I used to shoot over 1100 images of landscapes and wildlife. The lens coped well with experimental shots of birds in full flight at maximum zoom and produced suprisingly sharp images. Bears, seals, moose and other more static subjects filled the viewfinder nicely and left me in no doubts that I had done the right thing to buy this in addition to the standard 18 - 55 lens (which is great for the huge landscapes and close shots of plant life). My only regret is that I can't afford the 300mm VR Nikon lens but for half the money this is a real bargain.
Lens changes were quick and the plastic lens mount won't be a problem if you are careful and patient with your equipment.
The bigger lens does add some weight to the camera but I found the VR system worked well to stabilise camera shake even on maximum zoom. The lens' AF worked well even on the camera's auto settings; I am still exploring the manual settings being a DSLR newbie. Overall I am really happy with the lens and would recommend it to other amateurs looking to extend their camera's (and their own) repertoire.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good performer, 26 May 2007
Mandar Marathe (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens (Camera)
Announced in March 2007, this is one of Nikon's latest DX lenses for digital cameras. I have been using this lens on my D40. Compared with the 18-55mm kit lens, this lens not only extends the zoom range, but it also delivers sharper photos. As far as I can tell, it is the same lens as the previous 55-200mm lens, but with Vibration Reduction (VR) technology which is essential at high zooms. When you press the shutter half-way, the VR is activated and you can actually see a visible difference through the viewfinder! The lens makes a humming sound while the VR system is active. I would recommend that you don't go for the old non-VR lens - pay 100 extra and get one like this with VR. It will make a big difference. The only problem is that now I have experienced the 55-200mm VR, I have started to crave for the 70-300mm VR! The VR system does drain the battery life, so be careful about this when you are out and about - every time you depress the shutter button half way to focus, the VR is activated. Also, I have noticed that when the VR does kick in, it causes a degree of camera shake which may be significant if you have perfectly framed your shot. So for these reasons I have given 4 stars rather than 5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens!, 9 July 2007
Mr. J. BROWN (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens (Camera)
I was immediatly impressed with this lens. It feels well made and sturdy. The image quality seems impressive, and the Vibration Reduction works extremely well, making telephoto shots a pleasure to take. I would recommend getting this over the non-VR version anyday, it really is worth the extra money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon Quality in a great Auto-Focus Lens., 25 Mar 2011
Bruce "from Brighton" (UK - England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens (Camera)
After doing a bit of research as to the best lenses to get for my Nikon D3100 18-55vr Kit, I settled on this one as the best starter; being reasonable in terms of value and having all the best features of the Nikon lenses.

So there are a few cheaper options among other brands, but often there was no guarantee that the auto-focus would work and having invested in Nikon, this seems to be the sensible option.

I must say that I found it very easy to get started and was out taking pictures very shortly after getting the lens - changing from the kit lens is intuitively simple. So after having spent a while now geting familiar with the D3100, it was no different using this lens.

I was pleasantly surprised at how light it still feels and is not in any way uncomfortable. I felt that this lens gave me good options for framing shots and I have been very happy with the results. Picture qualty is sharp and clear - everything you would expect from a Nikon lens and I couldn't fault it.

In use, the VR is noticable when it kicks in - but there was no blurring on the images and the autofocus works just as well as with the kit lens, which makes the transition between lenses, seamless.

Overall this has been a very good purchase and I am very happy with the quality and features. It also includes a hood and carry bag, plus a good level of documentation

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent lens, 17 Aug 2010
gadgetlover (Cambs, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens (Camera)
Having purchased the D3000 some months ago, I realised the obvious limitations of the standard lens supplied (18-55mm). This larger lens seemed to have generally favourable reviews, so I opted to buy it ready for my holiday. Despite leaving it rather late to order, the lens arrived in plenty of time, so very good service from the supplier.

The lens is an excellent size and weight, and is very well balanced with the camera. It's very easy to attach, and straightforward to use. It seems robust so far, although I won't go throwing it around. This lens is not much bigger than the 18-55mm lens, and is small enough for me to keep it attached to the camera in the bag.

Its performance is as good as I would have expected, and any problems with focussing are down to my competence, and experimentation.

Results are very good, with the best providing professional looking images.

All in all, I'm very pleased with both the purchase, and the service of the supplier.

5.0 out of 5 stars One long lens, 16 Feb 2008
Mr. Alan Chivers "gyethhound" (Crawley, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon 55-200MM F/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX Black Lens (Camera)
I've come back to photography after twenty-five years away so I still think in 35mm terms. I have this lens on my D40 and was very surprised at its long range which will be quite enough for me to take cricket photos this summer. I have a bad tremor but seem to have no problem getting good results with this lens so the VR works. The autofocus is something else but manual focusing is easy enough. For the money I don't think you could get any better but keep your 18-55mm to hand because I think you'll need both.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good lens, 27 Nov 2009
I bought this lens to compliment my 18-55 VR lens which came with my Nikon D5000. It's a very good buy but after a few weeks I decided that I would prefer the 18-200 VR lens to replace my 2 lenses and I also bought a very fast 35mm f1.8 lens for poor lighting situations. The 18-200 is certainly the most used but it is expensive! VR works brilliantly on the Nikon lenses and you won't really realise just how good it is until you turn it off and compare the results. When it's on, it means that you can use a slower shutter speed hand-held and it works so well. If you are thinking of buying the cheaper 55-200 lens without VR I would advise you to spend the extra money. Your hand is probably not as steady as you think it is!!