5.0 out of 5 stars Very successful with cover versions
Published on 19 Jan 2011 by Peter Durward Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars linda ronstadt greatest hits 1 and 2
very disappointed,,sound quality not good,,only one or two songs really good, was buying as a gift for someone wont give this as gift.
Published 6 months ago by eamonn farrelly

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very successful with cover versions, 19 Jan 2011
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Greatest Hits I & II (Audio CD)
Linda Ronstadt didn't need original material to have plenty of American hits during the seventies with her versions of mostly well known songs, although she also helped to gain recognition for Warren Zevon and for Kate and Anna McGarrigle via her recordings of their songs. This formula was markedly less successful for her in Britain, where none of her singles made the top 20, although that could be due first to Brits being slow to recognize her talents, then to changing fashions as punk took over for a while. Nevertheless, Linda's music found a market in Britain and I am part of that market.

Pairing the hits compilations originally released in 1976 and 1980, this set contains all her important solo hits in the American pop charts and four of her six top ten solo hits in the country charts. Linda's biggest hits thereafter were a duet with James Ingram (Somewhere out there) and two duets with Aaron Neville (Don't know much, All my life) and some country hits taken from the first Trio album that she recorded with Dolly Parton and Emmylou Harris. If you particularly want any of those later tracks, they are all available elsewhere. For the period up to 1980, this contains all the essentials although it most certainly does not contain everything worth hearing; you only get that by acquiring the individual albums from the period.

Among the pop hits, seven of the tracks here made the American top ten including You're no good, which made number one, having previously been an American hit for Betty Everett and a UK hit for the Swinging Blue Jeans, and When will I be loved (previously a hit for the Everly brothers), which made number two in the American pop charts and number one in the country charts. The only other single to do well for Linda in both pop and country charts was Blue bayou (a cover of the Roy Orbison classic), which made the top three in both charts.

The other country hits represented here are Love is a rose (a Neil Young song that became a minor pop hit) and I never will marry (a traditional song featuring Dolly Parton on backing vocals that didn't make the pop charts). Two other top ten country hits (Crazy, I can't help it if I'm still in love with you) are not featured. As some non-hits are included, their omission is curious, but those tracks are available elsewhere.

Two of the three minor UK hits (Tracks of my tears, Blue bayou) are here, but Alison is omitted; all of them did much better in America.

If you only want one collection of Linda's music and you are primarily interested in her seventies music, this is a good choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Linda. BUY IT., 8 Nov 2008
This review is from: Greatest Hits I & II (Audio CD)
This album is sublime from start to finish. Beautiful songs sung with a gorgeous voice. I can't recommend it highly enough (it deserves at least TEN stars). It's great value and the sound quality is perfect too. Linda Ronstadt has never really got the praise she deserves. My final two words say it all: BUY IT.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent collection, 3 Aug 2009
Frank Connolly "FC" (Downham Market, Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits I & II (Audio CD)
I enjoyed this collection immensely.
It covers a wide spectrum of her work and styles, and there's not a bad track on it.
Excellent value for money and a good listen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected, 5 Aug 2011
J. M. Tuck (chesterfield uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Greatest Hits I & II (Audio CD)
Not being the biggest fan of Linda Ronstadt I only bought this CD for two tracks really,one of course was the excellent "You're no good" and I was curious to hear Linda's version of the Stones classic"Tumbling Dice".I was very suprised at the different types of songs covered on the CD from the old Hollies hits "I can't let go" and "Just one look" to the very country style of "Silver threads and Golden needles" which I was'nt familiar with and now and can't stop singing to myself.....Excellent Cd well pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rediscover old times, 2 Jun 2010
Colin R. Andrews "Colsooty" (South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits I & II (Audio CD)
As time moves on and music collections become victim of growing grandchildren's whims and fancies, it is warming to replenish cherished stock this way. Prices are well within reach and delivery is reliable regardless of the poor press reports of late. I already had knowledge of this product so I knew what to expect and I was not disappointed at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest hits 1 &2, 27 April 2010
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
------------------------------------------

Volume 1

Many artists assume that they can cross genre and sing as well as a person that specializes in that gender. Very few can and Linda is one of those few. She has tacked all kinds of singing head-on and is a natural.

This is a fine collection or sample of Linda's diversity. Many albums have one or two songs that do not match the mode of the others. You will not find them in this album. It also makes a great driving album. However you can lose track of time while singing along.

Actually if you were to play all of Linda Ronstadt's greatest hits, you would wear the player out. However if you are only going to buy one album, this should be the one. I do wish they could have squeezed "Blue Bayou" on this one. The only advice I can give to you is to beware; these tunes will stick your head.

I have the CD but also bought the audiocassette for the car.

----------------------------------------------------

Volume 2 - I bought it for Blue Bayou.

All of the songs on this album are superior. And they show Linda Ronstadt's diverse range. However if you are buying only one album, buy Volume One. Unfortunately Blue Bayou is only this volume and is a must have to complete early Ronstadt.

4.0 out of 5 stars All the Ronstadt You Need, 14 April 2009
This review is from: Greatest Hits I & II (Audio CD)
"Linda Ronstadt's Greatest Hits 1 & 2" includes every song I've ever heard her sing, so it's a great compilation of hits. I can't see any need for more!

Caroline Smith, Sweden

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Hits 1 & 2 Linda Ronstadt, 24 Nov 2011
Mr. Brian Hillier "us18214" (Swindon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits I & II (Audio CD)
Tracking Linda's career through her many albums up to Hasten Down The Wind. Desperado, Different Drum, Blue Bayou, Someone To Lay Down Beside Me are all here. Good quality, considering some of the recordings must be very old analogue. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Beautiful., 7 Sep 2013
Rm Challoner "Chally144" (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits I & II (Audio CD)
Linda Ronstadt has one of the best voices of recent times and these albums have much of her best work. No one who likes good music could fail to love Ms Ronstadt's voice and songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars A giant plus factor, 4 April 2011
This review is from: Greatest Hits I & II (Audio CD)
Thank God Linda Ronstadt was not a singer songwriter.Her forte was to cover and the importance of this idea was to introduce songs of an earlier era to audiences not around to hear Buddy Holly or Doris Troy first hand.
When she first appeared in the 60s Linda Ronstadt was in the Stone Ponies who were like a folk rock act but her subsequent solo success enabled her to make around 2 dozen albums some of them thematic.She was in the unique position of being named as a country act alongside Dolly Parton and Emmylou Harris who would cut 2 albums with her

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Greatest Hits I & II
Greatest Hits I & II by Linda Ronstadt (Audio CD - 2007)