5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars? Are they really that good?
I chose Ortlieb for a 3 week tour of the Scottish Highlands. I was expecting the worst weather imaginable so my choice of panniers was simple. Waterproof, it rained for 10 days solid and not one drop leaked inside. The roll top ensures that there are no weak spots like zips and they roll close very quickly.
To be seen, Bright yellow and with reflective patches on the...
Published on 21 Jun 2011 by Mr. La Hodge

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so good as other reviewrs make out
Published 25 days ago by Andy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars? Are they really that good?, 21 Jun 2011
Mr. La Hodge "Leen2112" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ortlieb Back Roller Classic Universal Rear Bicycle Bag (Sports)
To be seen, Bright yellow and with reflective patches on the ends which judging by my photos looks like bright lights on each bag.
Easy to clip on and off, They came with a selection of clips to fit most racks and the ease of which they clip on and off even when full was excellent. They even come with a carry strap.
Space, there are 2 pockets in each bag one zipped and the other wide enough for maps etc very handy.

These bags are simply the best buy out there! If you've ever struggled with fixing straps and waterproof inserts on sub standard bags then these are for you. The build quality is certainly worth the price and I've a feeling I'll not need new ones for a very long time. 5 stars? of course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb clip-on system; just wish they sold individually, 14 Jun 2010
I have the yellow version of this and it's absolutely superb. Robust, highly visible, carries plenty of stuff - and the hook system for clipping it onto the bike rack is a work of quiet genius.

My only wish is that they would sell individual ones instead of pairs. A pair is as much as I paid for my (second hand) bike! I did manage to come to an arrangement with the shop but if you can't do that and a pair seems expensive, I would suggest you buy a pair and eBay one of them. Cos they're brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great panniers, 6 Sep 2010
The panniers were really good during the cycle holiday. They fit plenty of things and the weight stays low making me feel steady (last year I borrowed my ex's high quality ones from another manufacturer and the weight was higher up making me feel a bit shaky while cycling). Would recommend for others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Pannier - well worth the expense, 17 July 2010
Prior to buying this pannier I had been using altura dryline. I ended up returning those beacuse I couldn't locate a carry strap for them anywhere. Knowing that ortlieb have an excellent reputation I decided to shell out an extra 20, and boy did I notice a difference. The main advantage is the smooth clip on system - the mechanism is almost perfect and it's a joy to place and take off the panniers. I also make regular use of the very handy carry strap. To be honest it can get a bit uncomfortable if I'm carrying too much in them (the strap will dig into my shoulder) but I still couldn't be without it. The panniers are 100% waterproof and very roomy. very nice reflector panel on the side of the pannier also.

Like the previous reviewer, my only niggle is that you have to buy a pair. It would be great if these came as single units.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ortlieb Waterproof Yellow Panniers, 31 Aug 2012
Mr. R. Evans (Dorset UK) - See all my reviews
I was struck by the High-visibility of these pannier bags and their easy connect/disconnect to my bike. Basically, pick them up by the tape handle and they come away in the hand. There are locking tabs which prevent their unauthorised removal. Easily converted to a carry bag for shoulder transport. They are waterproof and as I have stresssed highly visible in poor light. I am quite pleased with mine, just a quick wipe and they're clean again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality product, 28 Aug 2012
eiamjw (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
It's quite expensive, but much better that other cheap panniers which I have used. The ease of clipping on and off make a huge difference, and make it a pleasure to use. It can also take an enormous amount of stuff. Where I once used 3 bags, e.g. for laptop, lunch and football kit, now it all easily fits into one bag. I ordered a pair, but will only ever need to use one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Work of quiet genius, 10 Feb 2012
Excellent and extremely robust bag with an element of quiet genius in the attachment/removal mechanism. My previous panniers involved several minutes fiddling with straps and velcro and inevitably getting pretty grubby, so this is a fantastic change for me. The only downside is the "single pocket" approach. There is no quick-access place to put a wallet or train ticket so, like me, you might need to rethink how you carry these things. (There is a separate "document pocket" inside the bag but you have to open the whole bag to gain access.) I've been happy to make this change for the massive advantages of waterproof, easy-to-carry, fast-release carrying capacity. I wouldn't go back.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 7 Feb 2013
i brought this for my partners birthday, he cycles to work and has a lot of items to carry. he uses these bags all the time, not just when he is cycling as they are so useful, durable and being waterproof means we can use them in watersports or wet weather. fantastic!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so good as other reviewrs make out, 23 Mar 2014
I used to have Altura Arans, but after about 10years of every day use they were worn out, so throught I'd try these ortlieb as everybody told me they were good. The fixings are certainly not as sturdy as my old ones and they rattle around more. There are no external pockets, so nowhere to stash things you want to access quickly like phone or keys etc. There is a small internal pocket, but its not easy to access as need to detach the strap and unroll the top to get access. They do seem warteproof, but then I never had a problem with the Alura which were cordura and also had an over cover. As almost all paniers now they are made so can be used on either side, which is good. There is a reflective patch on an otherwise dark end of the bag which does little for visibility. There is there is no place to clip a light on - I always used to have an extra light on the back of my Altura panniers. Unfortunately Altura do not make the same model any more and their latest has no rear pockets either. I've given them 3 stars as they seem well made and are quite light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 14 Jan 2013
I have a foldable bicycle from decathlon, with a rack at the back. The Ortlieb bag fits like a glove on it.. Using an allen key, this bag allows you to adjust where u want to attach it with the frame of the bike and it has 2 clips ,attached to a handle, that hook onto the rack. With just a lift of that small handle the bag comes off and easily clips back on. Im always on the move, needing to fold my bike while travelling to work, this bag is an amazing product.
Clipping it back on is 1 easy step and more these clips have mini "u shape plastics hooks" that go inside the hooks to fit different sizes of racks , to allow a sturdier Clip on the rack, meaning that the bag wont be slidding or moving when im cycling, even on bumpy roads where i live. The bag itself is waterproof and has a strong feel... And a bonus, its made in Europe- Germany... I recommend this bag.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›