4.0 out of 5 stars Tori Lights a Fire
Tori Amos shed the red hair, split into five personalities and decided to rock. As a result, American Doll Posse is her most vibrant, eclectic and relevant album in years. It's sort of a compromise between the tight production of Choirgirl and the sprawling anger of Pele -- all translated by Pip, Santa, Isabel, Clyde and Tori.

Who are they? Doesn't matter...
Published on 23 April 2007 by Rooster9

3.0 out of 5 stars missing...
Published on 4 April 2008 by Foroyar

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars How can you not like this?, 21 Sep 2011
B. Byron "mekon" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Doll Posse (Audio CD)
I've been a Tori fan since the first album. I loved everything up to Venus and Back and then I didn't (and still don't) enjoy the next few albums that much and I really don't like The Beekeeper. But I kept faithfully buying the CDs - then this came along and I was so happy, Tori was back!
So, why review it now and not when it came out? Well, it was in my car for a month or so and I listened to it loads back in 2007. Then, last week, looking for something I haven't played for a while I stuck it in my CD player. As almost every song started I was thinking - oh, I remember this one, this rocks - then another good one - and so on. There is some real rock attitude and some tender beauty too with enough spine-tingly moments.
Doesn't knock Choirgirl Hotel off my number one Tori spot but it's in my top 4.
I don't get people who don't like this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars quality AND quantity!!, 28 Nov 2007
Daphne Ligthart "Daffers" (Bracknell, Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Doll Posse (Audio CD)
This album has some superb songs but I have to agree that some could have been omitted. Personally I think Yo George is a very clever intro to the album which takes you on a journey....My highlights are Bouncing of Clouds and Secret Spell, for some reason I have really taken to listening to those full blast whilst driving on the Motorway...very uplifting! Other highlights for me are Roosterspur Bridge, Beauty of speed and Almost Rosey. A very worthwile album to grace your cd collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tori's most accessable album yet, 11 Aug 2007
M. J. Howkins "anarulesmenow" (Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Doll Posse (Audio CD)
As the title says,this album really is Tori's most accessable yet.For the people who were put off by boys for pele,to venus and back or the beekeeper but liked her other work then you will love this.Most of the songs on this album include drums,guitar and bass unlike some of her other music and are more in a pop/rock vein but this is a good thing.She also goes into many different styles within the pop/rock band such as jazz,funk and country.If you are just getting into Tori now then this is the album I think you should buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tori experimenting and going a step further..., 26 May 2007
Naoum (Thessaloniki, Greece) - See all my reviews
ADP has many interesting songs that do not necessary follow the style Tori has accustomed us to. The sound has progressed to use more drums and guitars with the exception of e.g. Yo George... My personal favorite is Bouncing off Clouds.

Overall I think Tori is experimenting to improving and differentiating herself from her earlier work which I think is a good thing. However, her equilibrium has not yet reached a point where she can produce masterpieces like her first 3 albums ('Little Earthquakes', 'Under the Pink' and 'Boys for Pele') contain. It is still interesting to see where this experimentation takes Tori!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Firing On All Cylinders, 20 May 2007
Mr. P. R. Lambert "Pete Lambert" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Doll Posse (Audio CD)
ETA 2010: I have calmed doen at bit. It's pretty good. Now I'll hand you back to 2007-Pete, who is rather excited that it isn't as boring as The Beekeeper.

Tori, in her 'doll posse' disguises, leaps from genre to genre, touching on all her best previous moments but also taking everything that little bit further. From profound pop (remember that?) to cocky glam rock to Eleanor Rigby-ish fragility, via a bit of sultry darkness and some heartbreaking & heartwarming ballads... I'd honestly say there isn't a better album to find out both the breadth and quality what Tori's got to offer than this one - her wry sense of humour, in particular, shines out on Programmable Soda and Posse Bonus.

If you just want catchy, elegant songs, it's got plenty. If you want something richer - a story behind every character, five contrasting outlooks on life - it's all there if you want more. Some of the lyrics are fascinatingly cryptic, many of them are beautifully direct ("Chin up, a happy mask was never your best diguise", on Almost Rosey). Those five characters arent just a box of wigs - Tori's even given each of them a distinctive style of singing.

The 23 track count may seem a little daunting before you listen, but let yourself in, it's worth every minute.

Essential Tracks: Bouncing Off Clouds, Teenage Hustling, Almost Rosey, Dragon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing!!, 26 April 2007
At the time of writing this I have had a leaked copy of the album for the past 2 weeks nearly (Don't worry I am definitely gonna buy the real deal on the 30th April)...

ADP is one of Tori's best albums to date... I love how she has gone back to her dark roots. There are so many songs on thsi album that I love... "Beauty of Speed" is a fantastic track, so is "Big Wheel" and "Bouncing Off Cloud"... I always feel that Tori never seems to get the recognition in the charts that she deserves. She should be centre stage with this album. She deserves to get as much praise and attention as possible. There are few artists out there with as much originality as Tori, or with such a staying power. I only became a fan of Tori after I watched her perform "Cornflake Girl" on channel 4 when she was on Graham Norton Promoting "Tales Of A Librarian" and since then I have been hooked... I had only ever heard the dance mix of Professional widow at this point and believed her to be just some dance artist... I was WRONG... Her talent is unreal... She has a gift for creating wonderful music which I hope continues long into the future.

Go buy this album ASAP... You won't regret it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars American Doll Posse, 12 April 2007
Although there's no way to actually hear this entire album, there are clips and previews and leaks and live versions all over the web. And the excitement over this album is immense.

Tori takes on the five different personas (The American Doll Posse) similar to that of "Scarlet's Walk" and "StrangeLittleGirls" and writes songs from each of their views.

As I mentioned before, the album isn't available yet anywhere. But, "Big Wheel" has a definite Southern-blues edge to it and is slated to be the new single. "Bouncing Off Clouds" as a more pop/rock feel and "Beauty of Speed" is an amazing ballad; typical Tori (or Clyde).

Reviews have said ADP is like a mix between FTGH, BFP and SLG. The most "Pele" thing about it is the short interludes in between songs, like the opener "Yo George" (breath-taking, by the way) and "Programmable Soda".

All-in-all, no one can seem to last the wait for this long-awaited album. I'm sure it's going to be one of the top, if not the best, highlight of musical 2007. "Welcome to the doll house".

3.0 out of 5 stars missing..., 4 April 2008
This review is from: American Doll Posse (Audio CD)
I'm pretty sure I've totally missed the point of this album. I feel I ought to say upon introduction that I adore Tori Amos, and listen to her constantly, her music is very much like an old, wise friend that's constantly dependable. I'd even say I need it - not all the time, but every once in a while it lends some healthy sustinance to my everyday. However (and I'm sorry to ring this bell again) I really, really miss her old stuff. Not since Choirgirl have I truly been satisfied with an album, though "Scarlet's Walk" certainly had its merits. This album, however, totally throws me. I'm not sure if its the glamour of the sleeve that alarms me, or the claim to several musical personalities, but I cannot help but feel that this a sleeve to throw several flat, dull songs into a more interesting light. There is little that's earthy about "Posse", and perhaps that is what is missing for me. The music attempts to take flight without success, despite the renewed catchiness Amos attempts to drive into everything. But it isn't beautiful, like "Earthquakes" or delicate like "Pink", and it lacks the drive of "Pele", "Choirgirl" and "Walk" - all of which have definite, urgent stories to tell. Perhpas its the layers that are the problem, much better to have Amos strip her music down, bear it nakedly before her audience, than show this strange, made-up "Doll Posse" which recall little of Amos's previous brilliance. Perhaps someday...

5.0 out of 5 stars Not (Just) For Fans, 10 May 2007
Sordel (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Amongst the dying embers of big hair and kohl eye-liner, Atlantic Records launched Tori Amos's first (and long-repudiated) album: the hideously unsuccessful Y Can't Tori Read? Blighted by FM pop production and stripped of the focus on Tori's piano that would later become her hallmark, the album positioned her as the latest in a succession of eighties radio stars. It might have been left as ancient history, but for the fact that American Doll Posse sounds, more than anything, like Y Can't Tori Read? Volume 2.

ADP isn't a sell-out or a return to the failed techniques of the past, but neither is it an obvious successor to any of the albums that she recorded from Little Earthquakes onwards. "Secret Spell" is bubble-gum pop, "Bouncing Off Clouds" has the synthy thinness of Ultravox, "Big Wheel" is jaunty, throwaway, "Posse Bonus" reminds me of the sort of track one could expect to find on The Beatles' White Album. Yes, they all sound unmistakably like Tori Amos, due to her distinctive vocals, but they are also punchy, disposable tracks of a sort that she has not written previously. "Cornflake Girl", "Hotel", "A Sorta Fairytale" or "Riot Poof" were all upbeat, but they were also laboriously crafted and recorded. Here, songs sound as though they have been effortlessly and expertly slung together in the studio, with an emphasis upon finding the "obviously right" next chord rather than the "intriguingly wrong" one.

On the ballad side, there is little question that this is a weak album. "Roosterspur Bridge" is just about good enough to underscore a scene from "Gray's Anatomy" and no better. "Girl Disappearing" is sweet, but the melody is insipid and the string arrangement trite. "Digital Ghost" is the inbred descendent of better songs of the past such as "1000 Oceans" and seriously blighted by lazy fuzz guitar. The best of the bunch are probably the opener - a short but telling address to George W. Bush - and "Dark Side of the Sun", which may yet prove to be the album's most enduring track. Given that most Tori fans (myself included) come for the breast-beating, navel-gazing introspection of the piano ballads of the past, the absence of them here goes a long way to explaining the disquiet that has surrounded this album in some quarters.

While much that I have said here is negative, however, I do think (after a week of listening on heavy rotation) that AGP is possibly Tori's best collection of tracks since Boys For Pele. Its highs are not as stratospheric as those on Scarlet's Walk, but they are more plentiful, and of the 23 tracks (nearly eighty minutes' worth!) nearly all make their individual mark, while there are surprisingly few songs that I'd be tempted to skip. Ardent Tori fans will find echoes of Little Earthquakes on "Smokey Joe" and The Beekeeper on "Dragon", but this album has an identity all of its own. A great addition to a superb body of work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Take out a few tracks and you have a Tori classic, 13 Jun 2007
Talula "Talooloo" (Colchester, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Doll Posse (Audio CD)
After the mildly disappointing Scarlets Walk and The Beekeeper, Tori is back on form.....just. The album is far too long and as a consequence a number of the songs just get lost and do not make much of an impact.

The album starts well with Yo George and Big Wheel is fantastic; the first time I heard it I was singing it for the rest of the day. Bouncing Off Clouds is classic whimsical Tori, followed by the foot-stomping Teenage Hustling. I love this track; anyone who thinks that Tori is just a floaty songstress who never moves from her piano should listen to this. They should also listen to Body and Soul; the woman can really rock!
Secret Spell jogs along at a merry pace and I can see it being a single, as well as Almost Rosey which is fantastic, with some great melodies and Tori vocals at their best. Fathers Son is simply beautiful.
Smokey Joe is one of the most haunting tracks I have ever hear Tori do; it's melody and Tori's vocals are quite eerie. I love this song.

It's also the short 'interlude' tracks that stay in the mind; Programable Soda is like Pele's Mr Zebra, Velvet Revolution zips along nicely and Devils and Gods could have been developed into something longer but is lovely at its short length.

However..........tracks such as Beauty of Speed, Code Red, and Dragon were pretty unimpressive and despite the number of times I have listened to this album they just don't sink in. They and a number of other tracks really do feel like Tori filler I'm afraid.
The concept of having five different personas singing the tunes doesn't really work for me either; we all know it's Tori! Great wigs though!

Great album, but should have been shorter.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xab8f7eac)

American Doll Posse
American Doll Posse by Tori Amos (Audio CD - 2007)