4.0 out of 5 stars ...Metal! Metal! Metal!...
Published on 26 Mar 2007 by Mr. H

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, not the Annihilator that i like
Bad album, maybe 'Remains' is worse than this. I can't stand the vocals here, it's a robot singing. And the music sound industrial which i don't like.
Too much electric, not the thrash that i like. The only song i can stand is 'Army of One' and maybe 'Chasing the High'.
Published 23 months ago by Yaniv Riahi

4.0 out of 5 stars ...Metal! Metal! Metal!..., 26 Mar 2007
Mr. H "Mr H" (Embra) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Metal (Ltd.) (Audio CD)
Hi there, my name is M4L and I was a teenage Annihilatorolic. It's true, even my metal karaoke track was 'Snake In The Grass'. But it's nearly twenty years since "Alice In Hell" came out and we parted shortly after "King Of The Hill" came out. It was just one of those things. We were young, we were looking for different things, we needed to try and find out who we were in the mad old world of metal. And so we moved on with our lives, older and sadder.

But then word started to filter through about the new Annihilator album, to be called "Metal". Can't argue with that. Even through the long journey of Jeff Waters, Annihilator always had a large degree of thrash metal driving things along. There were to be 10 tracks. Which makes it a proper album. Lips from Anvil would be on it. Hold the fort! Damn the torpedoes! Batten down the hatches! Another meaningless exclamation! This could be interesting.

Sure, then they had to go and ruin it, bringing in a special guest for every track. So you get, deep breath. Jeff Loomis (Nevermore), Danko Jones, Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy), Alex Laiho (Children Of Bodom), Anders Bjorler (The Haunted), Michael Amott (Arch Enemy), Jesper Stronblad (In Flames), Corey Beaulieu (Trivium), Jacob Lynam and Willie Adler (Lamb Of God). And Lips from Anvil! Now as you know, all star albums suck. But this one doesn't. In fact, it's the best Annihilator album since, ooh, "Set The World On Fire". But, why oh why, doesn't Anders Bjorler appear on 'Haunted' instead of 'Smother'?

You see, it does exactly what it says on the tin. Metal. Which is what we want. Strangely, the guests don't overshadow some excellent songs, and the whole thing does feel like a proper band, with them incorporating their sound into the song, instead of beating it over the head shouting "me, me, me, I'm in a Metallica tribute band, me, me, me". There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't buy this album. Best of the best include 'Clown Parade' with Jeff Loomis, 'Operation Annihilation' where Jeff does a vocal turn to show us that on 'Stars In Your Eyes' he is James Hetfieldugh and, of course. the battle cry of metal greats, 'Army Of One', which not only manages to rhyme Megadeth with Black Sabbath, but features Lips! From! Anvil!

A storming release you really need to hear. They're doing a European tour opening for Trivium soon, so get down early. Even if that sounds wrong in my head. So let's call it Trivium closing for Annihilator and be done!

5.0 out of 5 stars More Metal Than Metal, 24 Mar 2007
This review is from: Metal (Ltd.) (Audio CD)
What you always dreamed of: an Annihilator album from which you just can't choose a favourite track because all of them are unique and of the highest quality possible. The names of guest musicians - Jeff Loomis of Nevermore, Corey Beaulieu of Trivium or Angela Gossow of Arch Enemy - may be alluring for young fans of the band but the old school followers will appreciate the fact that "Metal" never ceases to be a coherent, 100% Annihilator product. Songs like "Clown Parade", "Couple Suicide" or "Army of One" will quickly raise your adrenaline level to a maximum - and then you will be left with seven more songs that are just as energetic and inventive as the opening trio.

If you get the limited version of the album, you will also be treated to a "Best Of" bonus CD with tracks from the band's previous albums recorded for SPV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Metal, thanks Jeff!!, 22 April 2007
This review is from: Metal (Ltd.) (Audio CD)
Alice in Hell is a timeless classic. Carnival Diablos was a damn good show piece for Annihilator. This album is absolutely the best thing that Water's and crew have ever created. This is Heavy Metal, technical, well written, excellent production and superior song writing. There is no stop/start in any of the tracks so the energy flows faultlessly within each track, each of which is a winner. NOT one filler here or weakling amongst the others. A blistering performance by all involved. It is totally worth buying, I have and glad of it. I love Metal and this is just that. I have bought some very good music this year and only Shadows Fall even comes close to being as good. If you say that you are a Metal Head or enjoy the Metal thing then buy this. A first listen winner!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, not the Annihilator that i like, 1 Jan 2013
This review is from: Metal (Audio CD)
Too bad, because i am a big fan and have all their studio albums and love the other stuff. I bought the album anyway for my collection.
I'm not recommend to start with this album, for those who don't know Annihilator, but if you are a fan you probably get it someday.
Meanwhile, i will go to the other albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 Dec 2008
Mr. M. L. Hanford "MH74" (Hereford,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metal (Ltd.) (Audio CD)
Having been into Annihilator for almost 20 years this was a 'no-brainer' purchase,the only thing I was wary of was whether this was going to turn into a 'noodlefest' with the guest guitarists,but no they are excellent additions,one pedantic thing,if I may,track 11 of the bonus disc is classed as Second to None,it isn't,it's actually Bliss,the intro to said song,I'll get my anorak!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic album!!!!, 11 Sep 2013
This review is from: Metal (Audio CD)
yet again annihilator deliver the goods!! a solid slab of heavy metal plus guest musicians aswell!! i highly recommend this album, if you liked schizo deluxe and all for you you will love this!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good album, 15 Jan 2011
C. Palmer (cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metal (Audio CD)
Some of the songs are among annihilators best, however i wish that they didnt have the guest singers, as i think dave and jeff would have been better

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrash at its finest., 6 Oct 2010
This review is from: Metal (Audio CD)
I've always wondered why Annihilator are not a part of 'The Big Four' to make 'The Big Five'. There are plenty of thrash metal bands that should be recognised for how influential they have been in the metal genre, especially Annihilator.

The album 'Metal' takes the band to another level. The roots are still there, some songs sound similar to such songs as Alison Hell and Set The World on Fire but I feel that Jeff Waters has taken it a step further and produced a cracking album that gets your blood boiling.

The lead singer on this album, Dave Padden, is now a full time member of the band alongside Waters. There are some impressive blends of guitar and drums that will make you head bang every time you listen to it!

The only negativity I have towards this album is Dave Padden's singing (rather than growling/shouting), it's a little bit cringing, especially when he's doing a duo with the Arch Enemy lead singer!

Notable songs are 'Army of One' and 'Downright Dominate'.

This should be a must have if you're an old school Annihilator fan. If you're a fan of thrash metal then this is one for the collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Avatara's review of Annihilator Metal, 21 Aug 2010
S. D. Brewster "Stephannie / avatara" (Selby North Yorkshire U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metal (Audio CD)
Annihilator rocked the boat when they released their first album and a lot of Thrash metal fans were blown away by the perfect marriage of power, melody, speed and heaviness. To this day Jeff Waters still manages to surprise me with his musical virtuousity and he still remains fresh and vital to the Metal movement. The "Metal" album is Annihilator's homage to many of heavy metal's stallwarts and hats are tipped with little stylistic nuances. The album is heavy, fast, melodic and fresh. David Padden is an awesome vocalist who has range and variety to offer in spades. The songs are beautifully honed and crafted to perfection. The song "Army of one" is a mission statement of Annihilator and a homage to other bands that are essential to todays modern extreme music genres. Anthrax, Motorhead, Exodus, Slayer, Judas Priest, Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath are mentioned as brothers in Arms and as music that Annihilator love and respect. Jeff Waters has managed to do it again and boy what an album this is! In my humble opinion there are very few bands that can match the musical genius of Jeff Waters. He blends melody and power with such consumate ease that he leaves me awe struck and as always blown away! Annihilator stand head and shoulders above most metal bands and still retain their uniqueness and fire. If you love thrash metal you need to own everything that Annihilator have ever done!Metal

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Dec 2014
Great Album...

Metal (Ltd.)
Metal (Ltd.) by Annihilator (Audio CD - 2010)