5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent in my opinion.
I have read some of the reviews below which slate the film for its mild stretching of the truth which probably are quite true. Not enough is known about Jane's life to really create a film that is completely true to life. However this in no way reflects on the enjoyability and passion of the movie. The comments that the film 'had no heart' are completely unfounded. I was...
Published on 3 Jun 2007 by Mel

3.0 out of 5 stars ok
I love all things Austen but find it difficult to watch this as often as i do other Austen-type movies. The acting is great from Hathaway and MacAvoy, I like the scenery, but there is something lacking. I would have liked it to be more true to Austen's real life and not so 'disney-ish' as one critic pointed out e.g they could have portrayed how her fathers death impacted...
Published on 31 Jan 2008 by Lilacstar

5.0 out of 5 stars poignant period drama, 15 Feb 2008
This review is from: Becoming Jane [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
this is a beautiful gentle drama which illustrates how Jane Austen's inspiration for her novels was deeply rooted in her own life and experiences

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 13 Aug 2007
L. Young "LIY" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Becoming Jane [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
As a portrayal of Jane Austen as a person and author, and also giving a plausible reason behind the types of novels she wrote, this film does well. Anne Hathaway is surprisingly good, not outstanding, but does create a 3D character at least. Her accent perhaps slips once and it could be said that she makes Jane a stereotype of British period dramas, but that's exactly what one of the main points of the film - how not following society's rules is a dangerous game. James McAvoy plays his part well enough and he and Hathaway seem to compliment each other. The story itself is standard, but is laced with a few subplots that add a bit more interest without taking away from the main one. Unfortunately, more is not used of Julie Walters, Maggie Smith and James Cromwell, who do well in their parts, but should have been given more to work with.
All in all, this is a well-made period drama. It is enjoyable and not particularly testing, so I would recommend it, if that`s what you`re in to. Just don't expect to be blown away.

1.0 out of 5 stars Jane Austen - I don't think so!, 22 Jan 2008
Jane Austen - I don't think so!
Jane Austen was a deep, interesting and witty woman, one only has to read her work to see that. This film did not show the Jane that we wanted to see, it merely hinted that a love affair gone wrong made her 'become' the Jane that her fans love.
I was so disappointed with this!

2.0 out of 5 stars I was not impressed., 16 Oct 2007
It is a feast for the eyes, nothing more. The plot cannot get my praise.

3.0 out of 5 stars not a bad film, 28 Aug 2007
Matthew Richardson "raferjanders" (Shepperton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Becoming Jane [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I must say I disagree with the review by Austen Acolyte "feminist fineyes". I will state my case as one who cannot stand Jane Austen and her novels. For me her novels were the Soap Operas of her time, lacking any depth whatsoever. She was trite and smug and couldn't create a decent male character to save her life. I hated studying Pride and Prejudice at school as I found it to be the most overrated work I had ever read. I was taken along to watch this film under suffrance but found myself enjoying it as a film.

I felt it was a well-made film with good atmosphere despite its obvious artistic license taken with Jane Austen's life. Ann Hathaway was not great but adequate enough and for me portrayed her in a way that fit my mental image of Austen. James McAvoy was rather good too, giving a very watchable performance.

Taken as a film in its own right as opposed to a historical account of Austen's life it works well. I don't know enough about Austen to comment on its accuracy but really is that the point of the film or any film for that fact. It's more about telling a story and entertaining an audience (as Austen attempted to do).

5.0 out of 5 stars nice film., 19 Oct 2007
This review is from: Becoming Jane [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
nice film. I thought anne hathway was brilliant. It was precisely that vacant, meditative look (so criticised by other reviwers) that I liked. She look as she was thinking hard (no bad thing when playing a literary great like Jane Austen). I dont understand why people are being so unfair to her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Social Soup, 9 Sep 2007
B. Elliott (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Becoming Jane [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I became Jane while watching this. I became Jane again, and again.. And again. This film has been described as a mix between ''schindler's list'' and ''Borat''.. This reviewer would have to agree.

Becoming Jane [DVD] [2007]
Becoming Jane [DVD] [2007] by Anne Hathaway (DVD - 2007)