5.0 out of 5 stars A hit with both parents and baby!
I first heard about sign language for hearing babies when my first was born three years ago. Having explored the research and evidence supporting its use (increased IQ, vocab skills, language development and reduced frustration to name but a few) decided it was worth a try.

Published on 4 May 2007 by Poppy

3.0 out of 5 stars Great but unforgivably short!
This is a great dvd - my 6 month old daughter watches it with interest and the songs are all entertaining.

However it is only 30 minutes long which is long enough for a little one to watch but hardly value for money! Not enough different signs are used as well which makes it quite frustrating if you can't get to a class and are using the dvd to learn from...
Published on 5 Dec 2007 by Crafty Marie

5.0 out of 5 stars A hit with both parents and baby!, 4 May 2007
This review is from: Sing And Sign [DVD] (DVD)

I got various books about baby signing from the library and this DVD recommended by a friend. I also visited the Sing and Sign website which contains lots of information about baby signing, features an online dictionary and a forum for parents to ask questions. Unfortunately at that time there were no classes in our area and so we got started with the DVD.

From day one it captivated my daughter, I had sort of expected some boring style "teaching aid" but instead the screen was filled with smiling, signing babies obviously thoroughly enjoying their Sing and Sign class. I think that's the key to what my daughter found so fascinating - lots of moving babies to watch!

The music is a mix of popular nursery rhymes and songs both old and new; perhaps most importantly it's pleasant to listen to (unlike some children's DVD's!) The information is broken down to neatly slot in at relevant points between songs, which means it's easy to remember and again doesnt get boring. A full list of guidelines is displayed at the end to recap everything.

The DVD suggests starting with a few key signs you can use lots such as eat, drink, milk, more and gone (or finished) which also meant there wasn't a huge pressure to learn loads of stuff to even get started (cos tired new mums have time for that right?). The rest I picked up just by watching although be warned you may end up watching it A LOT. Once my daughter could point and sign "more", it was an at least daily occurrence and at three and a half she STILL watches it quite a lot; although she obviously no longer has the need to sign, she's now teaching her baby brother :)

An important point to note about the programme is that it was the first (and maybe only?) signing DVD designed for hearing babies. This means it's not purely about teaching signs but the songs and games are chosen to help develop speech sounds (speech and language therapists have used both for years) plus ideas of how you can have fun with your baby, the signs AND sounds.

Jessie cat is the Sing and Sign mascot and the DVD demonstrates hiding this popular toy before playing "where" games and finding her again. This can help with object placement i.e. babies initially believe if they can't see something it is gone - this simple exercise demonstrates things can still be there even though they can't be seen; which can help with separation anxiety. I think "where" was one of our most valuable signs as my daughter would often ask where something was and as she got older extended this to include family members e.g. where's daddy? I'm not sure how she could have begun to communicate this without sign.

Topics covered on the DVD include the key starter signs mentioned, vehicles, animals, pain and medicine, nappy changing plus loads more. I'm not sure on the total number of signs included as you just gradually pick them up (baby sign only uses one sign per sentence so it's not like trying to keep up with the BSL signers often on TV!)

We did end up joining classes due to our love of the DVD and signing is by far the most beneficial baby activity we did. This DVD provides a great foundation to the basics in an enjoyable format and based on a pence per watch basis has to be one of the best value for money items we own.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 1 Sep 2007
E. O'Hara "Anna's mam" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sing And Sign [DVD] (DVD)
My daughter ages 13 months wouldn't watch any tv, she just had no interest until I bought this dvd, we both love it and after only about 3 weeks she can now ask for more, drink, eat and is obsessed by ducks!! I can't recommend it enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars My 1-year-old signs back, 9 Mar 2008
Dr. K. E. Patrick (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sing And Sign [DVD] (DVD)
I can't comment on whether or not the signs are accurate in this video, but having borrowed books about signing in the past and failing miserably to remember any of them, I have to say I've been very pleased with this DVD and the memorable way I've started remembering the signs.

My one-year-old can sign "nappy" (although I realise he's technically signing "change") and, tonight, I started reading him a little book about farm animals and as I soon as I sang the "I went to visit a farm one day" and did the signs, his eyes grew wide and he was completely absorbed by the book and the song even though he was very tired.

Then there's my 3-year-old: she has memorized all the signs and all the songs and enjoys practising them. There are times when even she responds better to signing than to words, such as "don't" -- which she pays no attention to normally, but when I sign it as well, she understands completely.

I do agree with other reviewers, that the viewing time is very short for the money. However, it does teach you, and for that, it's better value than all the signing books I've bought over the years.

4.0 out of 5 stars great for kids but...., 4 Feb 2010
This review is from: Sing And Sign [DVD] (DVD)
As a mum of a profoundly deaf toddler I decided to try this DVD to encourage my daughter to move on with her signing.
However, the signs used are VERY basic so more suitable for total beginners or parents of younger children.We are using BSL at home whereas the DVD uses Makaton, which is taken from BSL but has some variations, which might explain why a previous reviewer felt the signing was inaccurate. I feel this is unfair as my understanding of BSL/Makaton is that there are slight differences in the same way that there are regional variations between any sort of signing in just the same way we have regional dialects and accents.
I have to say, my daughter LOVES this DVD and I would agree that the fact that babies are shown clearly enjoying participating in the class probably appeals to most young viewers. My daughter also loves animals and vehicles, both are shown on the DVD.

The downside is that the DVD is very short and so not great value for money I suppose but then as I said, my child adores it and would watch it all day if I let her!
I feel the style of the DVD is a litle clumsy, it appears at first to be aimed towards children but there are small and very short guidelines and information slots for parents shoved in the middle of the songs which might have been better as a separate option on the DVD for adults which would allow more explanation and detail. It is also strange in my opinion that some songs are not sung all the way through (the presenter misses out the first verse of 'Miss Polly had a dolly' yet refers to it in her introduction)while others like 'Hickory Dickory Dock' have all verses sung despite the fact that they are not well known to most children.

Overall I would recommend this on the basis of enjoyment for children which should surely be the most important factor to consider but I'd like to see a longer, more thought out version from a very likeable and competent presenter/producer/writer- sure she could do a lot better!

5.0 out of 5 stars top marks, 8 May 2007
E. ryan "yummy mummy" (chester uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sing And Sign [DVD] (DVD)
i take my 6 month old son to sing and sing once a week i love it and so does he i heard about this dvd i bought it from amazon and played it and found it really good coz i know all the songs and my son can now do it with his frinds and at home with me. i would recomend it to anyone its fun when you get to know the songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good if a little annoying!, 7 Sep 2008
This review is from: Sing And Sign [DVD] (DVD)
We bought this for our daughter when she was about 10months old, now she is 16months and asks for it (in sign and words) AT LEAST once per day. She screams at the parts that she loves before they're even on screen at times.

Her vocabulary is fantastic, her signing is equally good which we believe is a result of watching this so regularly. We don't feel like bad parents who uses tv as a "childminder", rather we feel that we are helping our daughter to build her spoken and signed language as well as an understanding for the world around her. When she sees some of the animals that are "featured" in this dvd she now signs and either makes their noise or says what they are. We recently visited a farm and she was shrieking with excitement as she recognised the animals and was able to sign/say what they were.

She recently started to notice planes flying overhead and signs to them, she also tells us when she's finished, want's more, wants a cuddle and has even started to use her "own" sign language to let us know things she wants that aren't covered in the dvd.

We both feel that this was one of the best purchases we've made for our daughter. Yes, it does get annoying to hear it over and over again (during a recent illness it was on repeat for 3 hours) but when you see the benefits before you it makes it all worthwhile.

We are now looking to purchase More Sing and Sign as we feel she is ready to start learning some new words.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great but unforgivably short!, 5 Dec 2007
Crafty Marie "mariej30" (Cambs) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sing And Sign [DVD] (DVD)

However it is only 30 minutes long which is long enough for a little one to watch but hardly value for money! Not enough different signs are used as well which makes it quite frustrating if you can't get to a class and are using the dvd to learn from!

It should be 1 and a half to 2 hours long for the price and split into 30 minute segments.

I just feel that the price really does not reflect the content - way too expensive for what is actually in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just perfect, 1 Nov 2009
This review is from: Sing And Sign [DVD] (DVD)
The presenter Sasha Felix is likeable and appears genuine. The singing is pleasant (not annoying as many children's songs are), the signing clear and easy to remember. I already bought several signing books and I was able to follow the DVD from the first viewing. DVD also serves me as a check that what I learned from the books is in fact correct interpretation of individual signs. My baby is 9 months and he cannot concentrate for long, but we play the DVD every evening and he is watching it for longer and longer periods. I am sure he can recognise some of the signs. I can hardly wait for his first signing back to me. The DVD is fantastic and I would recommend it to any parent wishing to leran baby signs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice new songs and fun actions, 11 July 2010
Mrs. Je Carmichael "JaneyC" (Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sing And Sign [DVD] (DVD)
Although this DVD is a little retro in design, I think it is the perfect length when you want to 'do' something with your baby but you're not quite sure what. I don't know how convinced I am about how easy it is going to be to teach my baby signing, I forget to tell her she's going to 'eat' until she's already got the spoon in her mouth for example, but things like 'all gone' and 'more' are generally easier to fit in, as she is not starving or dying of thirst when I am doing them. I like the songs on this video too, as they are tunes that you already know, but different words, and things like 'change your nappy' can be done every day. A worthwhile buy, I'd say, don't bother with a book, as I bought both and there's a lot of crossover between the two.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great if you are doing a Sing and Sign Class, 13 Oct 2009
This review is from: Sing And Sign [DVD] (DVD)
Having seen other reviews on this page let me point out that this is NOT a DVD designed for Hard of Hearing Families, it is a very simplified version of Sing language easy for babies to learn! Great if you are doing a Sing and Sign Class to keep it going between lessons, the songs are engaging for any baby and my 9 month old sits through the whole 30 minutes with me really enjoying the songs and colorful images. Would give it top marks if it wasn't for the need of a little updating, it looks filmed in the early 90ies, but the babies don't mind do they?

Sing And Sign [DVD]
Sing And Sign [DVD] by Sasha Felix (DVD - 2007)
Used & New from: £7.29