Size: C|Colour: Silver Standard|Change

Size: C|Colour: Bubbles Solid|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I had what I considered to be an amazing ironing board - it folded so that it stored in the smallest of places. It was more than just an ironing board - it was a gadget, but unfortunately it had a habit of collapsing whilst in use and that's pretty dangerous. I was keen to compare it to this, this doesn't collapse. That's an instant 'win' over my fold-up model.

The first thing you notice about this board is the size of the ironing surface, it's huge, much bigger than it looks in the picture because the iron rest itself is over-sized to safely house a steam unit. I don't have a steam unit, so my iron has plenty of room to rest. The ultra-wide surface area means that ironing is considerably quicker, you spend less time adjusting your garments and it's perfect for lazy ironers like me - I can just place my t-shirt along the ironing board and press it (I don't bother doing both sides - it preserves my funky t-shirt prints).

The height of the board is fully adjustable, I'm 6'2" (nearly) with a bad back (from stooping) and I can use this comfortably. More Hobbit-sized individuals will find that this can also be used at fairly low-heights too. It's easy to adjust and feels very steady indeed, this is a rugged feeling contraption and I have no doubts that this will give years of loyal surface.

In a nutshell: Sometimes an ironing board isn't just an ironing board - this really does make ironing much more efficient. It's so impressively large I know any visitors will get ironing board envy.
The Brabantia Aqua Bowl ironing board offers an exceptionally large ironing area, which is great if you like to iron duvet sets as it makes this a lot easier, as well as speedier. The board is relatively heavy but that also means it is robustly constructed, with a strong cross bar between the legs that I use to hang the board on the wall for storage.

It is easy to take up and down, with a catch located under the board to open it up and a firm click back into place once you have finished. The height is adjustable and the board is stable at each height. The cover that comes with the board is grey, not the currently pictured blue.

I decided to buy this board because I use a steam generator iron and noticed that quite a bit of water dripped onto the floor through the cover and felt on my previous board and so I was attracted to the claims that this would be eliminated. I also liked the addition of the pull out holder to accommodate the steam generator itself, having previously either placed the unit on a nearby table or on the board, thereby restricting the available ironing area.

The holder works well and provides a stable place on which to stand the steam generator and would accommodate most generators as it is generously sized. It is pulled out from the ironing board and then a clip action allows it to drop down into position for use, which is reversed when the board is stored.

Unfortunately, I have found a shortcoming with the aqua bowl system itself. Whilst ironing, there are no drips of condensation through the board onto the floor, so it achieves that objective, but I have had difficulty in actually emptying the water at the point I want to store the board. The instructions state that the board should be raised to a 45 degree angle so that water can be drained into the bowl on the underside (do this slowly as, depending on the amount of ironing you have done, there is a surprising amount of accumulated water). Once the water has been drained off, the board can be stored - but this is where I have found there to be problems. No matter how long the board is left before storage, I have never been able to remove all of the water (even leaving the board standing for 24 hours) with the result that the end of the board always becomes soggy, water drips onto the floor where it is stored and ultimately the cover becomes stained at that point. This does not seem to be an issue displayed by an isolated board as I've had three and all were the same, which is not what I had expected from a board advertised to prevent water on the floor.

I have decided to keep the board as I do like the steam generator holder and the fact that it is robustly constructed, which I couldn't match in alternative boards that I considered. But I remain very disappointed that I have to store the board with a towel underneath to prevent puddles on the floor. I have rated three stars because I am keeping the board despite the obvious shortcoming.

Update 2014: I still have problems with draining water from the board after ironing but have found that if I accumulate less ironing there is less water to drain and the dripping problem is much reduced. I therefore try to iron more frequently and now have a microfibre door mat under the board which soaks up any drips and keeps the floor dry where it is stored. As much as I hate ironing the moral for me has been to do it little and more often.
11 comment|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 19 May 2013
This is a nicely finished, functional ironing board with a pleasant, bright cover (that clings onto clothes just enough that they don't slip off while you're ironing.) Being slightly wider than the average you can iron more surface without repositioning the material; it feels solidly constructed, does not shake or creak in use and is easy to put up and fold away when you're done. There is nothing to complain about here.

I like this. It is not the cheapest ironing board you'll find but it's rather better built than the cheap ones and the extra width makes ironing that little bit easier. It also comes ready assembled so there is no faffing around with screws and puzzling pieces of metal.
on 20 May 2013
So, all in all, an impressive service and I must admit to never being so keen on doing the ironing in my life, especially at the weekend!

In fact, in my haste, I missed the key words in the item description - 'STEAM UNIT HOLDER', so it was a far more serious piece of equipment than I was expecting!
Not being in possession of that recommended steam unit, at this moment in time, my regular iron sits happily, and safely, on the ridged resting plate and - a personal accidental bonus here - is that being of similar colour distribution, they look like they were made for each other!

Anyway, this heavyweight arrived packed in several sheets of plastic and the first and only real task was getting it out of the packaging in the first place!
On opening the blue and white 'bubbles' design was instantly pleasing to the eye along with the nonchalant silver-grey frame. The ironing board has black 'feet'.

Despite its weight it is easy to select a height, which is a smooth action. It has seven adjustable settings so one is bound to suit, whether you stand or sit to attend to this never-go-away chore!

The physical length including the ironing stand is a massive 157 cm.
The ironing area is BIG at 125 cm x 45 cm as advertised, narrowing at 85 cm and tapering in to a rounded point to help master the art of sleeves, and such like.
It took some time to get used to just how much extra ironing space there was compared to my old board. The pain of ironing the super-king size duvet covers was well reduced!

On that first use, I seemed to glide through the ironing pile, certainly with more enthusiasm but also with more precision than usual.

It is a solid board - no creaking or groaning - absolutely no shaking. The metal iron stand is silver-grey coloured and measures around 46 cm x 31 cm with three ridges in the indented area and a maximum weight guide of 10 KG.
It collapses as easily as it erects and stores nicely away in the utility cupboard.

ooOoo

Details from the instruction card:

* Extra wide worktop for faster and better ironing - suitable for large steam units and adjustable to 7 height settings
* Extra stable frame and extra wide worktop for fast and better ironing - suitable for large steam units
* Ergonomic - 7-step height adjustment - always your favourite working height
* Safety lock - table cannot collapse accidentally
* Locking clip to keep ironing table closed for transport and storage
* 10 year guarantee

The Cover:

Unique & innovative 4-layered 'PerfectFlow' cover jointly developed by Philips & Brabantia for faster ironing without water on the floor:

1. 100% cotton top layer for durability and smooth gliding
2. 2 mm foam layer for comfortable ironing
3. Special felt layer for a dry cover and no water on your floor
4. 3D textile technology for enhanced steam flow and faster ironing

Weight 9.1 KG
Made in Latvia
44 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 April 2011
No more drips on my feet or the carpet, so I can safely redecorate my study/ironing room. I was flummoxed by how to open the stand for the iron at first, but now have it pat. I can imagine that some steam generator irons might be pushed to squeeze into the space provided. I have a Philips which fits, just, and it does feel safer in its little "cage".

If you are short of space, it is big, and thicker than a normal metal steam generator board.

I wish I'd had one years ago.
on 11 September 2009
As steam generator irons produce a large amount of steam compared with "ordinary" steam irons, a purpose designed board was required.

This product deals with the problems encountered with other types of ironing boards deemed suitable for use with steam irons, ie, rusting of the mesh surface under the ironing board cover, and condensed steam dripping onto the floor.

Steam from the iron freely passes through the board surface into a plastic board base. On completion of ironing the board is tilted towards the pointed end and all the collected water drains into a clip-on container, and is easily poured away.

A further great design feature is the steam generator support which allows the iron to rest at board height for ease of use.

Together with all the above and a good range of height adjustment, this is the ideal board when using a steam generator iron.
on 28 January 2011
I bought this ironing board with my first steam generator iron as I was afraid other types of board would rust or let hot water seep through. Also I wanted one where the generator would sit level to the board. The board is fairly heavy but good and stable. I like the molded plastic bottom and the water reservoir works fine for me. I do a basket load at a time and have never had so much water at the end that it has caused leaks or a soggy end to the board during storage. My Tefal generator doesn't sit brilliantly on the side of the board as it is not quite big enough but it is managable. The design of this bit could definately be better, I'm not convinced it will last long and it doesn't fold away as far as I would have hoped. The board only has a few height settings and none of them are low enough to sit and iron as I like to do so I was disappointed with that aspect. The board was expensive and while it is fit for purpose I would have chosen some other design aspects if there was any choice on the market.
on 31 July 2013
A good sized board, but with a wobble and springiness that made it feel flimsy and unstable. I decided to send it back.
on 18 June 2011
This may seem expensive, but it's worth every penny for people who use the latest high steam irons. No more dripping board or wet carpets. The tray connected to the underside of the board catches every last drop of water and then you just tilt the board, which allows the water to run into the aqua bowl. It is wider than usual ironing boards too, which is ideal for larger items such as bedding. Every family should have one. I can't recommend this highly enough.
on 3 August 2011
I am not particularly impressed with this ironing board. It is a strong, substantial
ironing board but does not do what it says. Even when you empty the bowl, it still pours with
water when it is folded away and you need to put some receptacle to catch it. Could have
spent half the money for a sturdy ironing board.