5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking lens
Bought this lens for a trip to Iceland to see the Northern Lights, so wanted something fast & wide with good light gathering qualities.

The lens proved its worth and have taken some excellent photos with it.
Published 19 months ago by esdece

2.0 out of 5 stars Is There an 'L' in 'Disappointment'? There is in the 16-35's Vocabulary...
I felt I had to put 'finger to keyboard' to write this review, because this lens has disappointed me, in a BIG way...

First off, I have to say that I love using my Canon kit. I'm strictly an amateur, but have been lucky enough to buy a few 'red ringers', which include the 14mm, 24-70mm, 50mm, 70-200 IS, 85mm and the 100mm Macro. I love using them all, and they...
Published 7 months ago by M. Kelly

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking lens, 3 Dec 2012
This review is from: Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Lens (Accessory)

The lens proved its worth and have taken some excellent photos with it.
The day it arrived, (speedy delivery Amazon), I went for a walk around Westminster at lunch time to have a play and was stunned by the sharpness and quality of the images on my 5D.
Only thing I had to get used to was standing to far away from subjects, as this really is a wide lens!

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8L II USM lens, 25 Jun 2011
This review is from: Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Lens (Accessory)
I have only had this lens for a short time but already I am finding out what a superb lens it is. I have only used it on my 7D so the focal lengths are magnfied by 1.6. The sharpness throughout is exceedingly good particularly at f11. I have found it is also very good as a standin macro lens when used at the 35mm setting (equating to 50mm on the 7D). It is expensive but I think value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this lens!, 6 Feb 2012
This review is from: Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Lens (Accessory)
I'm slightly obsessed with this lens ever since I bought it. I am really glad I went for this over the 17-40mm as it's not only an amazing landscape lens, I have taken some really great portraits with it. The f/2.8 aperture makes it a great lens to use indoors and paired up with a full frame camera you will love the photo results!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens but beware!, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Lens (Accessory)
I ordered this Lens from Amazon last week. When it arrived I unboxed it and found that even though all the packaging was intact and looked new someone had swapped the lens out for a much cheaper 300 model.

All credit to Amazons service as they sent me a replacement in a week. I have also spoken to a friend and she had the same experience. It looks like someone in a warehouse at Amazon is making a nice little earner swapping L series lenses out.

This is my second L series lens, I bought this one for some internal marketing shots. Great wide angle and pin sharp images.

5.0 out of 5 stars Needs a little understanding, 30 Oct 2011
This review is from: Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Lens (Accessory)
I bought this lens to partner my Canon 5d Mark II after having read various reviews about its performance. Although I've only completed two projects with it, I am finding that there's lots to love about this lens but quite a lot I have to learn about it. Although I am not new to digital, my training and the majority of my experience has been with film. With film you have light conditions, film speed, aperture, shutter speed, period; with digital you have more setup modes than a BMW M3.

It can be tricky to get the picture sharp for motion and depth unless you set the right shutter speed and depth of field. At one point I was going to take the body and lens to my camera technician to get checked out, but achieved the sharpest and most detailed results I ever have had in digital on my second photo session.

Another aspect of the lens I have been very impressed with is lack of distortion with some of the results showing very straight architectual verticals towards the limits of the frame. Yes, if you are shooting at a slow shutter speed you can get quite remarkable distortions reminiscent of Lartigue's famous picture of a racing car.

I realise the image sharpness has as much to do with the 5D Mark II as the lens, but they do complement each other in this area. Whilst it's bought by most seeking a wide angle zoom, I find it a very good general all purpose lens. Lacking any telephoto ability, you can still shoot at 35mm and crop into the pic with reasonable results.

I found that shooting on it's widest angle setting with some subjects, you can crop top and bottom to end up with a panoramic composition similar to those taken on a Hassleblad XPan.

I have 2 other Canon L lenses, the 70-200mm 2.8 IS II and the 100mm 2.8 Macro IS which do what they do superbly, but finding this my general all purpose lens which tens to be the one welded to my 5D most of the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars 16-35mm.....fantastic!, 14 April 2011
This review is from: Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Lens (Accessory)
The 16-35mm II canon lens is amazing, the results it gives are crisp as you would expect and I use it for weddings and also home portraits sessions as it is great when working in small spaces!!! I will always have this lens as it is very versatile even though it is technically a wide angle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bit of glass!, 26 Jan 2013
This review is from: Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Lens (Accessory)
I pondered over this lens for some time, it isn't the cheapest of lenses, however I'm so glad I took the plunge. A great high quality build and a real life saver at a recent wedding shoot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Class Glass, 18 Aug 2010
This review is from: Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Lens (Accessory)
I brought this lens as i needed a wider angle then my 24-105mm f4 and i also needed something that was better in low light then the 24-105mm. This lens is sharp and fast - just what is needed for sports photography. Unlike the 24-105 this lens remains the same length when zoomed. On the negative side the lens hood is very wide so is a pain to cary off the lens and is also a bit fiddly to fit and remove from the lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do I still need to buy a Macro lens?, 3 July 2011
This review is from: Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Lens (Accessory)
Bought this as a wide angle but discovered that AF works to 6 inches! Astonishing! I was preparing to buy a Macro lens for insects but I'm wondering if I need a Macro lens when this amazing piece of kit focuses that close and gives razor sharp images. Fabulous! JP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable for reporting social events in cramped conditions or taking landscapes with well defined foreground features, 27 Oct 2013
I. Giles (Argyll, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Lens (Accessory)
This mark 2 version is a clear improvement over the previous mark 1 lens that will be much appreciated by professional or keen enthusiast photographers that have regular use for such a lens.

There are numerous occasions when reporting social events in cramped conditions or taking landscape images using nearby objects to give scale where inherent depth of view is essential as well as basic focus and speed etc.

This lens really delivers. It inevitably needs more care in terms of verticals and horizontals and the extreme edges can lose sharpness and incline towards plumpness in live objects, but it still delivers where others don't.

A very handy piece of kit and vital in order to get photographers out of those frequent and awkward tight corners!

For those with less usage in mind and who already own the mark 1 version the value of the improvements of this lens, although real, may well be more debatable. This is very much a question of balancing improved imaging against significant cost. This equation will be very much an individual decision based on need.

............................................

Some dialogue from the comments section that may offer further help:

I thought that you might like to know that I now look through all the reviews to see if you have posted one. Your assessments and opinions are invaluable. Thank you. (US review)

I particularly like your format of review. They give the prospective purchaser an idea of the style and relevant comparisons. They are succinct. Keep up the good work! (UK review)

I'm sure there are many, besides myself, who wait for your synopsis and opinion before spending their hard-earned money ...
Keep up the good work!

I'd also add to this. When you review, I pay pretty close attention. I would say the characteristics of your reviews I value the most are the detail and general sense of balance and fairness that comes across. That's a great help. Thanks for taking the time on your reviews. (US review)

............................................