Format: Audio CD|Change

on 4 February 2011
An excellent compilation, great quality, the tracks have been remastered so you loose some of the "authenticity", but if any thing this makes the tracks easier to listen to!
on 31 May 2013
I love the Blues in all it's forms, I also love Billie Holiday, but she probably wasn't really what you would call a blues singer! A great initiative Jazz singer yes, one of the best female Jazz singers certainly, some people might even say (me included) the very best. It's hard to compare her with Ella Fitzgerald, or Sarah Vaughan say, so it has to got to come down to personal opinion, taste and preference. Certainly it is not the strongest voice with the greatest range, just something very unique and special. She used her voice like an instrument, to bend and shape notes, and has influenced so many people ever since, and will continue to do so for a very long time, maybe even indefinitely, with the help of people like Beth Hart, my favorite modern day blues/rock/Jazz singer. Billie Holiday once sang a song called "I have a right to sing the blues" and of course "The Lady Sings The Blues", she also had an album of the same name, someone then wrote a biography, full of inaccuracies, which she probably never read. The same title was used in a very flawed, (but still quite entertaining) film. This label has been attached to her ever since. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what you call it, it's the voice and the music that count. About the music, buy this Double CD along with the ultimate triple CD collection and you will have a fairly complete overview of her latter work, with lots of fantastic, high quality, timeless, classic music at a great bargain price
on 17 December 2013
There are many compilations of Billie holiday's work, many of these tracks appear on other albums and so enthusiasts to look carefully at the track listings. With this proviso recommended from Billie holiday enthusiasts.
on 3 April 2013
A great selection of American classics sung as only Billie could. Track 2 on Disc 2 'Love for Sale' is perhaps the most evocative of her trademark Blues style. Overall, a good album but maybe not for true Lady afficionados.
on 24 May 2013
Great recordings and a superb addition to my collection of GAS tracks and artists. A good selection of songs and well worth the money.
on 12 November 2012
I bought this to fill a genre gap in my music collection. As I'm sure most will be aware Billie Holiday has an amazing and emotional voice but and to me a big but the technology available at the time of these recordings was a quantum leap away from the present day and I haven't gone deaf yet and really like clarity. I know people say 'it's atmospheric' and how it should sound but I disagree. In my opinion the way a good female vocalist should sound is like she's in the room and I strongly suspect if this was possible the atmospheric imperfections would not be present. This being said I'm still pleased with this purchase as the ladies talent is still obvious however it will probably only be played when I'm on my own and possibly in the car when the reproduction is less crucial.
on 12 October 2014
No words can really express the greatness of these recordings - they are 'timeless'
they are testaments of joy and pain - they are expressions of a truly great artist who has
somehow come through and now tells us her story - do we have the ears or the imagination
to 'hear' her song ?
on 21 April 2012
I came to Billie Holiday after seeing a film starring Diana Ross playing her. Billie has a voice that is all I can say highly reccomended all the songs grab you and caress you what feeling she shares very emotive.
on 17 April 2016
All the great recordings are here.
on 27 December 2012
I have this cd in triplicate and consider it to be one of the finest recording sessions ever by any vocalist, I have nothing to add to this review.