4.0 out of 5 stars The title says it all...
NOT2CD221 Sarah Vaughan - The Great American Songbook

Published on 15 May 2007 by C. FULLER

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Value Compilation
Around half of the tracks are designed for the popular market, the rest with small jazz groups, half a dozen or so of these are worth the cost of the discs.
Published 12 months ago by Mr. Bj Revell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The title says it all..., 15 May 2007
C. FULLER (Brixham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
NOT2CD221 Sarah Vaughan - The Great American Songbook

This 2 CD set has 47 tracks from the period 1947 to 1955 and certainly lives up to the overall series title. Yes, there are many of the great composers featured here. There are also many gems from the song book of Sarah Vaughan and the opportunity to hear less well known songs too such as the haunting "Trouble is a Man" by Alec Wilder whose centenary it is this year. Visit [...] for more information. There is also an excellent version of Mr Wonderful the song most associated with Peggy Lee. I'm sure you will enjoy many many more.

Bringing together such a collection is always difficult but with over 146 minutes and songs by the Gershwin's, Duke Ellington; Frank Loesser; Cole Porter; Styne & Cahn; Rodgers & Hart and Arlen & Mercer there can be little doubt that this set fits the bill. More titles from iconic stars are to follow in the series.

Tracks CD1: They can't take this away from me/ Body & Soul/ Polka Dots & Moonbeams/ If I Knew then/ Lover Man/ I Cried for You/ Prelude to a Kiss/ Deep Purple/ Perdido/ Summertime/ Just Friends/ Thinking of You/ Ain't Misbehavin'/ Goodnight My Love/ Can't Get Out of This Mood/ I'll Know/ Street of Dreams/ I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter/ Once in a While/ Trouble is a Man/ Everything I Have is Yours/ I Get a Kick Out of You/ A Hundred Years from Today/ It's Magic/ It's You or No One. CD2: Give me a Song with a Beautiful Melody/ Nice Work if You Can Get It/ My Funny Valentine/ Come Rain or Come Shine/ It's Easy to Remember/ Whatever Lola Wants/ Mr Wonderful/ Embraceable You/ You Hit the Spot/ April in Paris/ It Might as Well be Spring/ The Nearness of You/ Spring Will be a Little Late this Year/ Come along with me/ East of the Sun/ My One and Only Love/ September Song/ He's My Guy/ Black Coffee/ Tenderly/ Honey/ Longer Awhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Collection, 22 Oct 2010
Safl "DFS" (Ilkeston, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great American Songbook (Audio CD)
First, the quibbles: The double-CD plastic case comes in a cardboard case that is so tight I had to dismantle it to get at the discs. The flip-over CD holder was brittle and broke the first time I 'flipped' it. I had to re-house both CDs in a double case of my own.
The music, however, is superb. These are recordings from the late forties and early fifties and the sound quality is very good. Vaughan is in excellent voice throughout and the choice of material is first-class, but the musicians accompanying her are unfortunately not named. Both CDs are generously filled: you get 47 songs in all, some familiar ones, others less so. I already had her 'Divine' CD, but only half a dozen or so are duplicated here. The price of this collection is currently (Oct. 2010) very low, and I urge every Sarah Vaughan fan to grab it while they can. Five stars for the music and a firm refusal to deduct any for the unnecessarily poor packaging.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to a great talent., 8 Aug 2010
Jim Reaper (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great American Songbook (Audio CD)
Sarah Vaughan is at the top of the list with a small band who pick themselves and will be on most poeples lists. Im referring to the likes of Ella Fitzgerald, Dinah Washington, Billie Holiday, Peggy Lee and i know im missing one or two but they won't come to mind right now.

The thing with Sarah Vaughan is that sometimes she can sing almost as smooth as Ella on something like "Can't get out of this mood". At other times she can make "Summertime" fit beautifully into the voodoo like atmosphere conjured up by the bass and horns. Its a song ive always loved and have several different versions of it but ive never heard it done with such an almost sleazy delivery before.Its a performance you'd more likely associate with Ruth Brown who would come after her or Bessie Smith who went before.

To put it in a nutshell this collection manages to cover Sarah Vaughan in all her various moods and is a very good introduction to one of the handful or so of genuinely great female singers of any genre. So many are very good and the line between very good and great is often very thin indeed.

You're not really taking a chance at all if you buy this as quality is timeless. But its best served through headphones eyes closed so she just takes you away,on a sunday afternoon with feet up and a cold glass of whatever takes your fancy.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the great songstresses, 6 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Great American Songbook (Audio CD)
Sarah Vaughan is a singer I have long admired. As good as she is, only rarely do we hear her on the radio. When I saw her CDs on Amazon I was spoiled for choice. I went for 'The Great American Song Book' as this double CD release contained many of the songs I knew. Nor was I disappointed with the tracks that I had not heard before. All in all, two very enjoyable CDs best enjoyed late evening on my own with a glass of something as pleasant as the music. Unfortunately one track I have wanted for years, 'Serenata', is not on this compilation. Guess I will have to keep searching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for one of the best jazz singers around, 22 Feb 2012
Tom Willis (PASADENA, CALIFORNIA, US) - See all my reviews
Sarah Vaughan is magnificent, and this collection of 47 standards from the Great American Songbook sometimes rivals the superb Ella Fitzgerald - at about 6p per track!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Great American Songbook (Audio CD)
I was very pleased with this cd. Anyone who is a Sarah Vaughan fan will be delighted. They don't make them like her anymore!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fan now!, 26 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Great American Songbook (Audio CD)
Because of reviews, thought I would give the cd a spin. What a voice. I'm a late new comer to her music and will be glad to add a few more cd's to my music collection. Beautiful voice, hope I haven't worn out the cd player :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars pure bliss, 25 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Great American Songbook (Audio CD)
the wonderful Sarah displaying her velvet tones performing some of the best songs ever written - what more can one ask for.

5.0 out of 5 stars sassy vaughan, 9 Jan 2010
This review is from: The Great American Songbook (Audio CD)
no one ever sang jazz like sarah vaughan to hear her again is wonderful if you want to hear a true jazz giant sing buy this record I was fortunate to see this lady singing with the count basie big band at the fairfield halls croydon many years ago I do own most all of her records or cds if you know your jazz then you have heared of sassy if not you will be in for a surprise with this little CD
thanks pete

4.0 out of 5 stars One of those ever greats., 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Great American Songbook (Audio CD)
If you like Sarah Vaughan, you'll like this CD. Her amazing vocals never falter on all the numbers. The mixture of jazz and soul are blended in her tones, and render the numbers on this CD quite special.

Barry

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Great American Songbook
The Great American Songbook by Sarah Vaughan (Audio CD - 2008)