5.0 out of 5 stars This is what you call delivering the goods
When I first got my ears around this album I knew it was something special. Showcasing a bundle of brilliant new tracks Because of These Times proves that the band is really coming of age. Caleb is back as good as ever with his quirky lyrics and unique squeely voice and the guitar work is fresh with plenty of southern-fried riffs and vibrant hooks that will get inside...
Published on 25 Mar 2007 by Nazboy

1.0 out of 5 stars I second - The pressing is simply awful
I am a huge fan of the kings and made it a goal to have all their albums in vinyls. This album is the best one and the songs on it makes you want to put the volume up and blast yours ears - aint gonna happen with this Vinyl record.

I put the volume up ALL THE WAY only to find out the burned copy of the CD I have in my car provides 10 times better quality than...
Published on 5 Feb 2011 by tali mahlouf

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Times are good.., 16 Dec 2007
B. Roche "somethingisrotten" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Because Of The Times (Audio CD)
2 albums in and the first track of their latest release, `Knocked Up', leaves you grinning like the Followill's barber: business is good. Not many bands would have the balls to open their 3rd album with a 7 minute hypnotic ode to impending fatherhood but Because of the Times is the Kings of Leon hitting their stride and opening up; these hairy giants of Nashville are ready to prove the party faithful and stamp their authority on contemporary rock. Tracks `Fans', `Charmer' and `My Party' will be happily familiar to fans of the Kings' previous albums, but other tracks show a growing confidence. The languid slow-burner `Trunk' suggests a branching out into welcome new territory; `Camero' with its crashing vocals and abundant energy flows seamlessly into the smooth, subtle, echoes of `Arizona' and will have you reaching for the rewind button. The Times are good for the Kings of Leon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, 29 Nov 2007
Mr. L. Adams "Giddeo" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Because Of The Times (Audio CD)
It has its good tracks and its bad tracks.

Tracks 2,3,4 sold me on the album.
The others tend to merge into one when listening to the album as a whole.
Track 5 is terrible.

Is it new, is it ground breaking, does it enlighten my mind?

Its good, well thought out music and thats pretty much all I care about.

People have been comparing charmer to tracks by the pixies.
You can't complain about that.
We're neck deep in oh so very British indy bands, girl bands in their thirties and bands that try to be artsy with cack videos of them running with cardboard cut outs and so fourth.
If a band wants to rehash tunes by the pixies then the more the merrier because if I hear lemons and love from above or whatever the hell one more time I'm likely to pull a heather mills

RATS MILK!
RATTTTTTS MILLK! *slurp slurp slurp*
At least KOL don't mes

4.0 out of 5 stars KOL grow up and get dark., 13 Mar 2007
Mr. P. C. Purvis "kowalski1889" (Sheffield) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Because Of The Times (Audio CD)
After being a massive KOL fan from day one I was very worried about the upcoming 3rd album. They surprised most by releasing a 'tricky' second album that surpassed everyones expectations, especially mine.

From the mammoth opening track (over 7 minutes) of 'Because of the Times' it is clear that KOL are painting a very different picture. The looping bass lines throughout the album point to heavier pixies-esque references. The red-neck yelps are still present but represent a much more sinister side to the Followills songwriting. I've been listening to this album for non-stop now and although it may not have the stand-out singles of the past two, 'Because of the Times' is a classic grown-up KOL album and a must have for old and new fans alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album from a great band., 29 Jan 2008
N. Thompson "Beaker" (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Because Of The Times (Audio CD)
This latest Kings of Leon album is a master-peice. More haunting than their first 2 excellent albums and more creative. Perhaps the best and most original band to come out of America in years. I cant wait for their next album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long live the Kings!, 27 Jun 2007
J. T. Brennan (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Because Of The Times (Audio CD)
The Kings of Leon are another of those bands who have released a hugely impressive album in the last few years, and who have since had a lot to live up to - with this their third outing they have certainly impressed and grown into potentially one of the finest rock bands of their era.

Following up `Aha shake heartbreak' was always going to be a tricky business, but `Because of the times' is a better album despite the feeling that it is less accessible at first and needs more listens before the realisation that it is better. The first single `On Call' is a fine example of this - I thought it was alright but nothing special to begin with, a few months down the line though listening to it again it is probably the perfect way to say `we are back', the southern drawl is intact, it has a great verse building to a rousing middle refrain that carries the song away before bringing it back again to the pulsing bass and jarring guitar. It is testament to the band that there is much variation within the record and barely a track dipping below their high standards - `Knocked up' is dark and brooding with it's ghostly backing vocals (a recurring theme), `Charmer' is a slab of Pixies-esqe rock and `Mcfearless' sounds like it could be made for a festival slot at Reading, you can almost smell the burgers and watered down beer, it's pure rock goodness.

However what made me realise how good this album is, was once you get past the point of 4 or 5 great tunes a lot of records trail off - not this one, and in my opinion it really comes into its own with a trio of songs that are all fantastic and set a real tone for the album - `True love way' (love it, especially the late track speed-up), `Ragoo' (Skank-rock?) and `Fans' (pounding anthem, my favourite at the moment). It just keeps on giving and there is more to discover on each listen.

In short it is musically impressive although they have always sounded pretty tight to me, lyrically an improvement over the first two albums: for example on the slightly gospel sounding `Runner' - `She comes from nothing, hoping for a taste of fame, she's got a birthmark, a birthmark the shape of Maine', and from `Knocked up' - `I don't care what nobody says, I'm going to be her lover, always mad and usually drunk, but I love her like no other', it just fits together so well. For me no question about it, best album of the year so far, if greatness isn't already upon them by now it will be soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars They've done it again!, 3 April 2007
A Music Fan (Dudley,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Because Of The Times (Audio CD)
There are a number of different reviews knocking around at the moment with regards to this album. I thought I'd add one to amazon that would appeal not only to Kings of Leon fans, but also music fans in general. To the Kings of Leon fans - This album is amazing! Now, I have to admit, I'm a massive Kings of Leon fan. Youth & Young Manhood although flawed in places was thoroughly enjoyable, it wasn't ground breaking, however it was fresh sounding,entertainingly raw and very infectious. Aha-Shake Heartbreak was a better album in terms of it's production, overall polished sound and the music was extremely edgy and very cool. Once again the Kings have taken a step in the right direction, they've changed the rules, re-invented themselves for the 2nd time. The riffs and melodies throughout this album are jaw-dropping. Put the album on your I-pod and listen to it privately, thus giving it the attention it deserves, it will be the only thing you listen to for a long-time! Tracks like Arizona, and Camaro deserve to be praised endlessly. They sound like a band that's been around the scene for the last 20 years - they've matured musically and they are tighter as a unit than ever. How they haven't announced a summer arena tour I'll never know. To the music fans in general - To me the Aha-Shake heartbreak album reflected the places they had been (i.e world tour) and the people they had spent most of their time with (i.e the strokes). Now this album to me is more reflective of the position they are at in their own personal lives. I have read comparisons to early U2. I disagree with this. I do agree it is more stadium-rock orientated, however this just amplifies their new found confidence and new found belief in the music they are providing for their growing army of fans. I read a quote recently from one of the followhills " Man, we're sitting on a bunch of songs right now that we wish the world could hear " Well, the time is here, and we can hear the new material loud & clear - and you know what Followhills? - It's absolutely astounding! 5 stars from me.........

5.0 out of 5 stars it's a grower!, 30 Jan 2009
C. Haysom (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Because Of The Times (Audio CD)
When I first brought this album, I listened to a few times, but then moved on to other albums with out really listening to it, as I thought it was a bit quirky for me. Then a few months later on a long drive I put it on, and was hooked (I think I listened to it 3 times in a row!) 'Fans' is such an amazing song it made me appreciate the rest of the album.

All the songs are different, I love Caleb (lead singers) voice, and 'on call' really does it justice. 'Knocked up' gets me toe tapping after such a brilliant intro and 'true love way' is guaranteed to get me singing along.

I love driving for an hour because it means I can listen to the whole album with no interruptions!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 3 May 2007
C. Adams - See all my reviews
This review is from: Because Of The Times (Audio CD)
This album is easily as good as the others and anyone that says otherwise is sorely mistaken.

I have loved both albums so far and this one did not dissapoint.

It is a more chilled out veriety of songs but all of them i could listen to over and over again.

Some of the lyrics are deeply moving to and add another debth to the album.

comes thouraly recommended from me for and kings of leon fan and anyone who doesn't know them.

Aha shake heartbreak is still my favourite album but i have fallen deeply in love with this one

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant. full stop., 11 Aug 2008
Diane "Diane1606" (Buxton, Derbyshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Because Of The Times (Audio CD)
I'm 46. My eldest daughter is almost 22. (not that THAT matters, but I'm perhaps a little older than the average Kings of Leon "fan"?) Because of the Times is one of those rare cd's you can put on, and listen to, (all the way through) when you need a cd you can put on, and listen to, all the way through, without having to fast forward through the rubbish bits. Because there aren't any. (rubbish bits) Brilliant, as I said.

5.0 out of 5 stars They Just Keep On Bringing It, 15 July 2007
Mark McDaid (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Because Of The Times (Audio CD)
Most of the negative reviews about this albumn have been based around its lack of riffy based, fun or 'Youth and Young Manhood' esque rockers. I can only say, if you want to hear this type of music then have another listen to their first two albumns: Kings of Leon are developing and with gusto if I may say so myself.

The albumn is very different and, as has been mentioned before, full of atmosphere. I think the guitar effects used in production are fantastically subtle and beautiful, allowing the vocals and bass line to carry the albumn. However, they drop in the odd fantastic rocky tune, such as 'My Party', which would rip the place apart at a live show.

Truly an albumn displaying a maturing band with many idea's which are intricate and working very well.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

Because Of The Times
Because Of The Times by Kings of Leon (Audio CD - 2007)