on 10 January 2008
If you where a regular listener to Janice Long and John Peel in the late eighties or early nineties, you will almost have certainly come across I, Ludicrous.
Will Rippingale (William Hung) and John Procter met and formed I, Ludicrous in the early eighties are are still going, despite the "day jobs" they have stayed on the fringes of popular culture and ultimately this has proved their longevity. Their songs about Politics, Football, Sex and Pub culture have seen them unfairly pigeon holed as a comedy act, when in fact they are far broader. Their songs mirror image real life delivered with a dead pan wit (A Pop Fans Dream, Sunday Lunch With The Geldofs), sometimes with an irony that Chris Morris would be proud of (Three Football Grounds).
This compilation spans their twenty year career and includes the legendary "Preposterous Tales" which hit No. 11 in John Peels Festive fifty in 1987. "Moynihan Brings Out The Hooligan In Me", takes a swipe at the former Tory Sports Minister and his meddlings in football. My personal favourite is the excellent "A Pop Fan's Dream (Sunday Lunch With The Geldofs)", a fictional account of winning a Sunday magazine competition, the vocal delivery on this track is awesome, the obvious feeling of disapointment delivered without a hint of sardonic tones which adds to the irony of it all.
The influences here are obvious, both of the protagonists are fans of The Fall and The Lurkers. It is however the legacy of I, Ludicrous which I feel is worth mentioning, I see traces of the band in the very excellent Luke Haines, and if you are a fan of Art Brut it's clear Eddie Argos has listened more to I, Ludicrous than Half Man Half Biscuit.
This compilation is well worth the price, buy it now.
on 27 January 2012
I bought this for "Preposterous Tales", and to have a listen to a load of other stuff they'd done, not knowing what it was like. Some of it is great (3 English Football Grounds), some I just get bored of, but on the whole it bears repeat listening. Is it indie? Is it comedy? My iPod says it's Spoken Word for Cliff's sake. Don't worry about that - "Preposterous Tales" is still essential listening.