Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 May 2007
An album of such subtle minimal beauty it makes you wonder how you got by without it. Since purchasing From Here We Go Sublime last month, I have listened to nothing else...

Stripped down masterpieces such as opener 'Over the Ice', 'Everyday' and 'The Little Heart Beats So Fast' make the perfect soundtrack to summer days, (or perhaps it's ideal for icy winter months).

The simplicity of the of Axel Wilner's technique, sampling tiny vocal snippets and layering them over a standard Kompakt techno beat, belies his genius. 'Over the Ice' samples Kate Bush's 'Under the Ice' and 'A Paw In My Face' samples 'Hello' by Lionel Richie to comedy effect.

So far, my favourite album of 2007 (with no competition).

This is an album for everyone, those who like dance and ambient will certainly appreciate it straight away, but with a few listens I'm certain even the most diehard rockist will be swept away by the elegant simplicity of The Field.
on 6 November 2007
I was looking at the Metacritic best of 2007 albums and noticed this at the top with a score of 9.0. However the Reader's score is 6.4 as I write this. Seemingly it splits opinion down the middle. I then went on to Youtube and found "Over The Ice" and was quite impressed, so I thought I'd go for it.

On first listen my hopes fell. "Over The Ice" is still a good track but there didn't seem anything to back it up. One media critic describes it as "An electronic album that is utterly original and not easily forgotten." Well he's not listening to the same album as I'm listening to. On every track there's that Bump, chick, Bump, chick, Bump, chick beat that young girls have danced around their handbags to in discos across the globe since Adam was a lad. The overall feel is of a dance album. The textures are nothing new. Samples are taken as they have been since the early eighties, though this guy has a knack for slicing them as small as possible and passing them off almost as single notes. I don't see where the invention is.

Having said all that I quite like it. It's got a nice feel to it. I don't feel I've wasted my money. It's a Dance album that does what it says on the tin. It will go down well in the clubs.

But album of the year???? Your 'avin a laugh aren't ya?

Personally I find Gui Boratto on the same label far more interesting. But if you want "An electronic album that is utterly original and not easily forgotten." then buy Silent Shout by The Knife.

I would score this around about 7, just below rather than just above. Why don't they let you give half stars?
66 comments|9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 April 2007
I'm not an electronic music aficionado and dance music often sounds mindless to me, but this album is great. Repetitive and minimal but uplifting and intelligent. I gave it a try and am quite surprised to find that I've been enjoying listening it daily since I got it along with the more conventional music I like. I no longer think of it as 'dance' music or anything else, just great music.
on 7 July 2008
It always bothers me whenever I catch myself thinking a piece a dance music is "repetitive". It's often the whole point of a dance track. Thinking this way makes me feel old. Take my mum, for instance. She can't stand to hear the opening of LCD Soundsystem's 'All My Friends', regardless of how bloody beautiful the rest of the track is, because it seems a bit TOO repetitive to her. Listening to 'From Here We Go Sublime', I think I can relate.

My problem with the album isn't necessarily the copy-paste nature of the music being produced. It's the nagging feeling in the back of my head that something's missing from the mix. Almost as if Alex Willner accidentally deleted a few tracks from his ProTools session. And I can't get past that feeling. The music that IS present is adequate enough: looping, thumping and swirling as trance music should. Maybe that's enough for some people.

Looking at other, professional reviews, I think there's a possibility I've missed the point. There must be some reason why its Metacritic rating puts it as the best album of 2007. My first impression stands however. There's something lacking from all of this if you ask me.
on 14 July 2008
I first listened to this album in the car cruising down the M6 at 4 in the morning, and it was just beautiful. From first track to last this album just lulls along nicely, develops, and then repeats. I appreciate this for what it is, simple beats, simple 80 samples (some remniscent of Orb tracks,and future sound of london), and lots of repetition. Hence four stars.

This album is great for driving long distances on motorways, some of the tracks hit me like star guitar by the chemical brothers used to (and some of booka shade's earlier material). My only main criticism is that some of the tracks feel like the should drop a nice thicker bassline or something, but just run out of steam before they get there! (unlike some of booka shade's earlier material).

If you dont like minimal, or progressive house (or both) steer well clear of this album!
on 22 August 2007
Beautiful,gorgeous and sublime. Kompakt at it's best yet again. If you want a quality minimal house release well here it is. If you want minimal,deep tracks with at times an ambient twist, well here it is. If you want to spend your hard earned money wisely on a CD you will play time and time again from one of the most influential German house labels to date well you guessed it.......here it is.

I am not very good at selling anything but what I do want to do my best at selling is 'From Here We Go Sublime'. If you enjoy deep,minimal house and you are after a great release from a label who you can trust to deliver fantastic music well, this is the release for you.

If by me just saying how much I love it doesn't sell it in anyway then just the mention of the label 'Kompakt' should surely do it for you.
Go on, buy The Fields 'From Here We Go Sublime', you know you want to. You won't be disappointed
on 18 May 2016
Bought this for my son - he loves it!
on 5 October 2007
I don't think this deserves a 5, it probably could do with a few more ideas and it does fade towards the end but not many albums can actually turn so many Indie/Mainstream fans onto Electronic music like this one, so it can't be that bad to please the sometimes ignorant NME crowd.
on 7 July 2007
stop reading these reviews and go out and buy/steal/borrow this cd - it's so staggering brilliant i'm almost lost for words to describe it, so here's a few tags that help decribe it.

glacial - icey - blissed - clean - warm - cold - sharp - drive - sun - leaves - wind - repeat - repeat - repeat

pitchfork media don't give out 9/10 reviews for nothing, and they gave this a 9.3/10 - it really is THAT good
on 16 November 2007
one of the most wonderful, beautiful and moving albums i've ever had the joy of experiencing.