Colour Name: Primary Plus 2|Change

on 14 January 2008
We have only tried 5 experiments and had lots of fun and learnt lots too. The experiments are easy to follow and the illustrations are clear, with plenty of testing and discussion opportunity. The components are well made and robust. Before we purchased this set we had a look in the shops and most electronics kits were flimsy and only had 10 experiments. This set definitely represents value for money and my kids aged 6 & 10 are really keen to use it at any opportunity. They were both really surprised when they tested 'foil' in a circuit and it conducted electricity and also were impressed by a 'reed switch' activated by a magnet. So lots of 'WOW' moments.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 10 May 2011
I bought this for my son's 9th birthday as he is working with circuits at school. I was swayed by the reviews but given the price had little hope for it being too good. I needn't have worried, this is incredible value.

We sat and went through the basics of the box - WARNING - BUY 4 x AA BATTERIES (I had to make an emergency trip out!) - and then read the instructions. These are extremely educational and benefit from an adult reading them to give some help. Then you just start clipping the components together, with everything coloured, numbered and shown in nice diagrams. It is simple and actually great fun.

My 13 year old daughter looked on from a distance and was soon joining in. It is so interesting and you learn a lot by doing. There is a base to set up the circuits but we found this pretty useless so we just did them on the carpet. The more complex circuits (nothing is too hard to work out, in fact it is simple and my son did all the ones so far)are slightly frustrating as the poppers come undone now and then but this is part of the fun.

There are some great parts to add - reed switches which work with the included magnet, sound switches and even a photo sensitive switch (use a torch to set it off!).

Our favourite experiment so far (we are only on 40 out of 500) was the LED/light bulb, where moving different switches turns on different lights. Amazingly clever and we all learnt a lot about series/parallel just from this. We also enjoyed the conductivity tester and the complex "happy birthday" circuit turned on my light.

A word of warning is to mind out the way of the fan, it can build up some speed before firing off - seeing my son's face was great when it went off the first time!

All in all this is an incredible piece of educational equipment at a mind blowingly cheap price. I know it will be used again and again, unlike a lot of the plastic junk you buy in error.

Highly recommended without reservation.
on 9 December 2007
We received this with some other Cambridge BrainBox Kits as a Present.
What a surprise. Primary Plus comes in a massive box with enough parts to construct over 500 experiments.
Inside there was a large 71 page manual printed in colour which explains how to assemble hundreds of circuits, switches and sensors.
My kids think that they are playing a game and having fun, but at the same time they have been learning about Electronics.
This is certainly easier than trying to get them to do their homework.

This week we constructed a working AM radio from the components which was exciting to see how it all works.
We experimented with making lamps get brighter and got a motor working. The flying fan was great fun.
The kids made loads of noise experimenting with producing electronic music - then with electronic police and ambulance sirens.

We had to steer them to some of the quieter projects like building a vibration sensor - a rain detector - light operated circuits.
switches - resistance and capacitors - burglar alarm circuits etc.

Our local school have encouraged the kids to use it, the teacher commented that
"it is a stepping stone to Key Stage 3 Science and Electronics and it is helping to teach part of the National Curriculum".
Not totally sure what she meant by that, but it sounded like the kids would greatly benefit from the additional things they will learn.

The kit includes loads of additional sensors and alarms components so we are about to try out making a whole range of other Electronic Circuits.
Our family has an age range of 7 to 15 and they all seem to have enjoyed using this kit so we would definitely recommend it.

Well done to Cambridge BrainBox who seem to have developed a good range of products
and the prices seem very reasonable considering how much content there is in the box.

Its great fun using these kits and you learn lots while you are doing it - be careful as they do become addictive.
We had never previously heard about BrainBox until we saw it on Amazon.
We will certainly be recommending the range to our friends.
11 comment|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 April 2009
My son has thoroughly enjoyed making up all kinds of circuits with this kit. He has managed to blow a bulb and a fuse, so a couple of extra spare would be a good idea, but apart from that I would recommend it to anyone who is into science and experiments.
on 29 January 2009
What a super product! I got this for my 7 year old son and we've had (and are still having) loads of fun with it. We've been going through the book and our latest creation was a radio which I'd like to tell you picked up radio 5 live so well we sat listening to the Tottenham match on it instead of our proper radio. We built a burglar alarm which we used to protect his Clone trooper gun... and caught his mum in the act of trying to tidy it away! The fun's endless as is the educational value. He even understands the difference between connecting things in series and parallel. Excellent! Get one.
on 23 April 2009
Bought this kit for my 8 year old grandson and he can't put it down. Thjoroughly recommended for any child who is showing interest in electricity / electronics.
on 31 December 2012
My daughter was bought this for her 9th birthday and absolutely loves it and has spent hours experimenting making different circuits.Brilliant
on 11 December 2009
Really fun toy for the child with an enquiring mind. Easy to assemble and follow pictures. The text is quite grown up but my six year old just copies the pictures and doesn't worry about the details of what's happening. We blew the two fuses in the box within hours, but they are easy to get hold of.

We like the stop-go traffic lights and the Happy Birthday doorbell circuits so far - but loads more to do.
on 15 April 2009
This was intended only for my great niece aged 10, but her sister, aged 6 was just as interested in it! As expected, they dived in and made some of the more advanced constructions first. The few days they spent with me they kept using the kit without any prompting and obviously enjoyed it. The component parts were numbered rather than given their electronic names (reed switch, resistor, capacitor, etc) which makes it very easy to follow the designs. The younger girl quickly realised there was scope for improvisation and was constructing her own circuits with the lights and switches, surprisingly without blowing the (included) fuses. It remains to be seen how educational it turns out to be and if it continues to be an attraction after they have taken it home. But, if only for the entertainment value, it was a success as far as I am concerned. If it also promotes their interest in technology that would be a bonus.
on 15 September 2012
I have a seven year old girl and a five year old boy and we have just had this for our daughters birthday, having seen it at a workshop we went to over the summer. Its really interesting even for the five year old and we have enjoyed following the patterns to make things work in the instructions but also trying out our own. Its a bit fiddly making all the bits fix together so you cant really leave them to do it but we bought it so we could do it together so thats not really a problem.