on 29 January 2008
I spent hours and days reading reviews and comparing features and prices of all zoom lenses on the market for my Canon EOS300D. I wanted a lens replacing my old Canon 18-55 kit lens which is ... well simply a kit lens. I've decided for this Sigma 18-200 all around zoom with OS (optical stabilisation) which is Sigma's version of Canon's IS and Nikon's VR. And I can't be more happy with my decision! OS works like advertised helping me get sharp images even in the bad light conditions and using long focal lengths. Image quality is superb comparing to my old lens. Of course you can't expect Canon "L" lens but who cares for such a price? Build quality is perfect and as a side effect of using quality materials lens is quite heavy. I really recommend this lens for everybody who want solid quality and don't want to change lens every 5 minutes.
on 28 July 2009
Got this lens as a birthday gift off the good lady this year. And i must say it is superb! For me its a replacement for the standard plastic tube that comes with the lower end canon cameras.

The zoom on this is everything most people will want, and for those who want more, im sure they will be able to live with it knowing that this lens also goes wide enough to shoot indoors and get everyone in the shot.
Shots across the whole zoom range are great, even at full 200 and wide 18 the lens performs well.

Some reviews have spoke about the lens being a bit slow, and i suppose maybe it is, but ive taken shots indoors with this lens at 80mm and no flash and got the exposure levels right using a slow shutter speed, while im guessing the OS did the hard work of keeping everything a bit steadier. So far i cant complain about the speed.

All the good bits aside there are some faults. This lens will make your camera look like a toy if you have the smaller 350d size models. Its also heavy (but as can be expected from a lens its size) so if you plan to use this as a walk around lens put your camera strap back on.
And the final beef ive got, is that if you like using the flash, then unless you have a hotshoe mount flash or your willing to bounce the onboard flash then expect this lens to cast a shadow over all of your flash pics when you use the onboard flash.

Bottom line is - this is an awesome tube filled with glass.
However, Ive not tried the non OS model, but ive used this without OS and i find it excellent even then, so check your pennies and make up your mind.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is a quality lens for anyone looking to expand from the 'kit lens.' I toyed with the idea of getting the Canon 28-135mm but settled on this figuring that the extended range at both ends of the scale would be worth the 'risk' of going with a 3rd party name (I'm a bit of a label-boy) I am very glad I did, I'm running a 50D and the 17-85mm lens (another great lens but with a just-not-quite-big-enough range) and this lens works very well with the body - it also fits canon lens accessories which I hadn't realised.

It is not a heavy lens though you do notice it when it's fully extended but this isn't a problem. It's also well made, feeling solid and reliable and comes with a lens hood (take note Canon...) The motor on the Auto-focus is pretty loud (though the manual focus is silent) and the lens does hunt for focal points at times. Its for these 2 reasons why I have given this lens 4/5 stars but that said - I'm confident that you wont find a better lens for £300
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 24 May 2009
I got this lens to replace the 18-55mm kit lens that came with my Canon 450D. I wanted something with more zoom. Basically a general lens I can just leave at my camera when I'm just out and shooting. I figured with this I don't have to change lenses all the time (which was true).

Now the lens itself is sturdy. It feels like it could take some beating and survive it (which it has). Of course this kind of sturdiness and zoom comes with a cost in portability. It is quite heavy and big. When I attach it to my 450D, the camera doubles in weight and size.

Optics wise I'm still a bit unsure about the lens. Sometimes I get the feeling that the images aren't as sharp as they should be. And I'm getting more overexposed shots than with my other lenses, but that's easy to fix afterwards when you shoot RAW. The optical stabilizer on the lens seems actually very good compared to the 18-55 kit lens. I noticed I could start to use slightly longer exposure times and still get a sharp image. The optics on the lens are its biggest problem. And personally I don't like the bokeh (blurred background) it creates, though with f/3.5 you don't really blur backgrounds that much.

I wouldn't recommend this lens to everybody outright. Really think what you want to use your lens for. Would something with less zoom be enough (you could get a lighter lens and better optics), maybe something along 18-70mm. And then perhaps a separate zoom lens, say 70-300mm if you need it.

I still am not 100% comfortable with this lens, and thinking of buying maybe something shorter, with a little bigger price tag. After using this lens for some 6 months now I do understand finally that you can't get a great 18-200mm lens for meager £300. Good lenses cost money. And with long zoom range you always lose on the quality of optics.

For the price, it is a decent lens (value for money), but don't expect it to be great. For general use, like holiday photos it is actually pretty good because of the zoom range and price tag.
on 28 June 2009
This lens is pretty good, but seems to have one pretty major flaw. I use it on my 50D and I do get some great pics. The main problem is that they are never as sharp as I think they ought to be and the Auto Focus is VERY hit and miss. If its right, the results are pretty good, if its wrong, and its often wrong, even with centre focusing on a specific point, then the photo is useless.

I will be selling mine and getting a much more expensive lens. For this reason alone. It certainly does not give as good results as the stock 50D lens.
on 24 February 2008
at this range nothing's perfect, but this comes quite close.

Let's get the niggles out of the way first... It's quite heavy compared to say, a Canon 17-85mm IS , but then it also seems a lot more solid (and has a lot bigger range. The zoom ring is in a different place and the movement is hard, but once you're used to it, you're used to it.

It's not the fastest of lenses, but again, once you know that you can use the OS to compensate.

All that said, it is well worth the investment. It sits on my EOS400D all the time now and I have no complaints. It kind of makes you wonder why I ever bothered with a multi lens setup in the first place. I doubt I'll go back to other lenses, unless it's for a very specific subject or absolute quality within a small range.

Some reviews cite softness at mid-range, and that's a fair comment, but with a tad sharpening the results are completely acceptable and usually impressive even at A3 size, unless you're a pro, in which case you won't even be looking at this.

If it was lost or stolen, I'd buy another. 'nuff said.
on 25 May 2008
Fantastic lens, a bit heavy - but feels solid.
Was looking to build up a variety of lenses but realised that it was a fools errand - unless a pro.
Found this lens and now am considering hanging up my lens buying boots - I'm sold on this. It now stays proudly atached to my camera and it's great for general shooting and portraits. The Optical Stabiliser tends to eat the camera battery a bit - but you dont need to have it switched on all the time.
I ended up buying it from Jessops for £399 because I did't want to have to wait to have it delivered. Like someone else said on here, "If I lost it - I'd buy another" I echo that sentiment.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 18 April 2008
This is a great lens you must have one.
This lens is ALWAYS on my EOS 400d and is great for taking a range of shots.

I was sceptical at first about buying thrid party products but after purchasing the sigma 10-20 and 18-200 lens i am sold on the idea. Especialy taking into concideration the price.

Tip if you are thinking of buying a new SLR for the first time, buy just the body and get this lens forget the kit lens it is a waste of money.

Cannot recommend this product enough
on 3 January 2012
Context of my review: a 'bridge camera' user during last four years (Fuji s100FS, Fuji s2000HD, Fuji HS10 and Panasonic FZ48), wanting faster performance and better image quality in low light. Not necessarily wanting 'SLR functionality' or interchangeable lenses. Not really needing 30x zoom range either (a la the HS10 etc.).

Bought this with a Canon EOS1100D (Canon EOS 1100D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)) and do not intend to take them apart (to avoid getting dust on the sensor. I also cannot be bothered to cart more than one lens around). The price I paid for both is more than a top-end bridge camera, but not significantly so.

Good points (compared to top-end bridge camera):
> Overall image quality. I can make heavily cropped images and still get an acceptable result.
> Build quality and feel are very satisfying.
> Main controls are very well laid out. Quick and easy to alternate between manual and autofocus modes, and to toggle image stabilisation.
> Compact. When attached to the camera body I can fit it into a sensibly sized Lowepro bag (same one I used for my HS10 and s100FS cameras).
> Lens hood is reversible, so I can easily store it when not being used.
> Focussing and zoom rings are smooth and precise.
> There is a lock function (for focal length) but so far I have not needed to use it. I know that other users have said that the lens can adjust its own focal length under its own weight but so far this hasn't happened to me.

Points that could be improved (being picky here):
> Would be nice if the supplied lens hood had a cut-out on one of the shaded sides so I could rotate my polarising filter more easily.
> The manual zoom ring could be slightly wider and more protruding (or have a very different feel to the zoom ring), to make it easier to find.
> Some chromatic aberration but this is hardly surprising for this type of lens and it is so far simple to correct (via Apple Aperture).
> The supplied lens cap can be a pain to reattach. Have replaced it with another ("JJC 72mm Plastic Snap-on Lens Cap with lens cap keeper"), which is easier to use and has a strap which attaches it to the camera (this is ok for me because I do not intend to use a different lens).

Summary:
The combination of Canon and Sigma lens is far superior to the bridge cameras I have used to date, and not much more expensive. Perhaps the forthcoming Fuji X-S1 will offer comparable performance BUT it will cost more.
on 22 April 2008
I have recently purchased this lens as a second-hand buy from another camera user. I primarily liked the sound of this lens given that it was giving me the same sort of wide shot coverage as my kit lens 18-55mm but then taking me beyond to 200mm. All I can say is that on my initial play with this lens, its build quality is great, very solid and gives the camera a more substantial weight and feel - having the added use of the OS stabilizer feature makes a big difference at the 200mm range when hand holding shots - a must have I think. Unlike the Canon lens it does come with its own hood which is an added bonus. Having read all the reviews it was a decision between the 17-85mm IS Lens by Canon and this Sigma one ... for now I believe I have made the right choice :)