on 25 January 2012
It weights practically nothing, its cheap, and its very versatile.

I have it permanently mounted on my bike. I run one hoop through the other on the front of the bike (in the triangle between the top tube and the down tube) and coil the rest of the cable around the top tube and velcro the tail end to the seat post. In this fashion its totally out of the way when I'm riding. When I lock up my bike, all I do is uncoil and run the tail end through the front wheel and back to the lock. I don't undo the front of the cable, its permanently looped around the front of the bike.

I find this to be the fastest and least cumbersome way to use the cable.

I also use the cable to lock my bike around larger diameter poles that my main lock won't fit around, but naturally only for short periods.

If your only need is to lock your front wheel, then I suggest getting a small cable lock and lock the wheel to your frame. It will be a lot easier and quicker to use on a day to day basis. However if like me you prefer to have the versatility of a longer cable, then I would recommend this lock.

I would give it 5 stars, but both Sterling and Squire make versions of these in 12mm thickness for about the same price (compared to Kryptonite's 10mm). Many would dismiss the 2mm difference as negligible, but consider the cross sectional area for each cable. Using Pi x Radius squared, cross sectional area for 10mm cable is 314mm squared, whereas it is 452mm sqared for 12mm cable. That's a lot more metal to cut through, and it might just make the difference.
on 29 September 2010
If you have a lock already and want an added deterent then you can't go wrong with this. It's fine locking your frame securely but you want to make sure the little gits don't nick your wheels. This is ideal and will make the gits think twice before trying to steal your wheels. Definately worth the money.
on 2 September 2010
A couple of bike hardend commuters graphically explained to me the number of times saddles and other portable items were filched, so with this in mind I purchased the cable to suppliment my heavy krypto NY lock to secure my seat and helmet and use it every time.

NOTE - I use this AS A SUPPLIMENT TO MY PRIMARY SECURITY. This is for accessories, not the bike itself!!!

It is a very useful length and I can use it as a noose as well as a loop.

It is a substantial 10mm ( a higher grade than the basic 4mm saddlekeeper/ saver) and ups the ante for the would be thief.

IN A NUTSHELL.... TIED UP FOR GOOD!
on 13 September 2011
Ideal to use with a decent D lock. I feel it is worh having this extra protection. carrying can be a problem, my son lost his after not attaching it securely while he was moving. I bend mine in half, feed it through the top of my rear rack and use the velcro tie. Bit of a faff but better than having to keep it in a rucksak or pannier I feel.
on 11 October 2011
Excellent product that I use in conjunction with Kryptonite high spec. D lock. Comfortably secures a wheel as well as the frame, Slightly short to secure the two wheels unless D lock covers both the frame and rear wheel. Will definitely continue to buy Kryptonite products as they ARE the best.
on 12 July 2010
Why would you not want one of these?
You already have one.
Why would you not want a second one of these?

The key to these is the ability to push one end through the loop on the other making a small noose around your front wheel while leaving the remaining length to hold your helmet, pass through your frame and then link to your D-Lock.

You do have a Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini Lock don't you?
on 13 October 2010
Excellent piece of kit and very simple to use,especially when you place one loop through the other and attach helmet,bottle holder etc to the main lock!
on 28 August 2011
Highly flexible product that achieves what it sets out to do. Gives you multiple options when considering where and how to secure your bike. Brilliant if you travel around! Can even be looped around your handle bars for easy transportation when on the move. Combine with any decent D lock and you'll have the confidence that those quick release wheels won't be released by someone other than yourself.
on 9 February 2014
I got this cable to go with my big kryptonite chain lock, to help secure my nice brooks saddle, front wheel and helmet to the bike for which it works a dream. My only issue is it is just a hair too short to use on its own with a lock to go through the front wheel and frame of my bike :( Luckily I only use it at uni and where I am it is safe enough to not lock up you front wheel with the bike frame.

So for every day to day use I would say this cable is not long enough, however, if you are going to use it to lock down accessories like your seat and helmet while another lock has your frame in check I think is the perfect combo.
on 30 August 2011
When accessing the city-centre by bike, especially if the value is above £200, looks new and well cared for and maybe with quick-release wheels, in addition to a good quality D-lock, this cable is essential.
Feed the cable round the front wheel, thread one looped end through the other and then the end loop onto one D lock arm which captures the frame and rear wheel.
Well made and actually does prevent theft.