5.0 out of 5 stars Also my third set
Published 24 months ago by CanAmSteve

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have gone for a double sided pedal
I like it, but it is my first clip pedal so I have nothing to compare it to. Got only a 1 sided one because I was so scared of the concept clipping your feet and the supposed consequence of not being able to unclip. So the other side made it possible to use as a normal pedal in case the clipping did not work out.
Now i am re-thinking that a 2 sided pedal would have...
Published 15 days ago by Andrew

5.0 out of 5 stars Also my third set, 1 Aug 2012
This review is from: Shimano Pdm324 Single Sided Spd (pack of 2) (Sports)
In a multi-bike, multi-user, multi-purpose household, these pedals allow casual and more serious biking without time spent fiddling around swapping pedals. The flat side is fine for casual runs to the shops while the clip side helps on longer rides when you have your bike shoes on. I have an MTB with the double-sided plastic clips, and these metal ones are SO much better.

Obviously, only one side has the clip, so if you are constantly on and off the bike but trying to clip in, this will be frustrating. But I don't see that as an issue.

If this is your first set of clip-ins, back off the tension to nothing, then tighten three "clicks" put on your special SPD shoes and find a spot where you can lean against something (a picnic table is handy) then clip each foot in and out at least 50 times. That's right, 50 times. 100 times would be better. If you just get on and ride with these, chances are good you will fall over!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great half way house...., 8 Aug 2012
C. Hanna (Newry N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shimano Pdm324 Single Sided Spd (pack of 2) (Sports)
I do a mixture of town, country roads and towpath riding; these pedals are great for stop/start riding in heavy traffic as you have the choice to use the non-clip side which means that an unexpected stop won't catch you out. They're also ideal as you can comfortably ride in normal trainers if e.g. you're just popping out to the shop and don't want to don all the gear. Actually clipping in is a breeze once you have sorted the tension adjuster to a mid-range level. I'm not going to drone on about the merits of riding when clipped in, as you've no doubt heard it all before.

Concentrating on the pedals themselves, the build quality is excellent; this is my second pair, I've used the originals on my other bike for over a year in all kinds of weather conditions, they've survived numerous knocks and general rough handling with no sign of any problems.

If you're considering buying your first pair of clip in pedals, but don't want to commit to full-time clipped in cycling, look no further; these will do the job very nicely.

Thoroughly recommended,

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of both worlds, 5 Nov 2011
This review is from: Shimano Pdm324 Single Sided Spd (pack of 2) (Sports)
For those of you who don't know; clipless pedals are a system that allows you to join a special cycling shoe to the pedal so that your feet are securely attached to the pedal. They attach your foot so that you press down with the ball of your foot, which will feel different if like me you cycle with "incorrect" method of using the middle of your foot on flats(term for normal type of pedal). Despite the name 'clipless' you do actually clip the sole of your shoe into the pedal but they are called clipless as they differ from cycling straps that would enclose your shoe. The actual benefit of clipless pedals varies depending on the person and how you intend to use them. I am sure there are a large number of web pages debating this topic but the best way to make a decision is probably to try them yourself.

I use my bike mainly for cycling short journeys so I wanted a flat pedal for using my normal shoes. I choose these over the variety that have the clipless SPD system surrounded by a platform as I wanted a good flat pedal in its own right rather than a compromise and was worried that the clipless socket would protrude and dig into the soles of my feet.

The first time using the flat side my feet instantly felt more secure on them than the black plastic ones that were included in my bike. Then the main drawback of using one sided pedals occurred as soon as I reached some traffic lights. While one foot would remain on one pedal ready to push down, by the time I has launched and put the other foot onto second pedal I would find it more often than not I was pressing down on the SPD and had to try and flick the pedal with my toes to get it to turn around. This was frustrating for a while but once you learn how to avoid this you can get the right side in seconds:
With my bike at least the key thing to notice was that the pedal will always tend to have the same side pointing towards or away from the centre of the cranks (where the pedals rotate around). So when I stopped at traffic lights with the flats side at the bottom of a rotation so pointing up and towards the centre of the cranks, by the time I had pushed down on the other pedal the flat side had rotated 180 degrees and now faced downwards towards the centre of the cranks. So if you shoe is on the wrong side of the pedal just push it down to the bottom and take your foot off and allow it to go back up on its own and by the top it should be the correct way up.

Sorry If that didn't make sense, two (fairground based!) analogies are that without being touched the pedal will behave like a cart going through loop on a rollercoaster always parallel to the track rather than a Ferris wheel where the carts are always the same way up. This is how it works on my bike but this could change if the joints were oiled differently, but either way it shouldn't be too hard to find a method that works for you.

Now I bought these pedals to use the clipless system for the occasional long ride. The pedals use the Shimano SPD system and you are able to adjust the pressure you need to apply to twist your foot in or out with a 3mm Allen key. I would recommend you start on the looser settings then get tighter as you become more confident. I use clipless in central London which is probably one or the worst places to use them with all the traffic lights, but if you really like the feeling of riding clipless this shouldn't be a problem, even here. I found the main advantage to clipless to be climbing hills and better acceleration.

When buying these pedals you need to decide whether the inconvenience of only being to use one side at a time it still better than changing the pedals to pure clipless or flats each time. If you have never used clipless before then try to use them before buying all the clipless gear. Once you have decided you want half and half pedals these are the best you can get.

5.0 out of 5 stars My third set (one for each bike), can't praise them enough...., 23 Feb 2012
This review is from: Shimano Pdm324 Single Sided Spd (pack of 2) (Sports)
You can't go wrong with these pedals, the best of both worlds.. cleats or no cleats. This is my third set, I now have a set on each of my bikes (a Ridgeback Panorama World touring bike, a Scott SUB 30 hybrid and a SCOTT Speedster S30 road bike).

Well made, and more convenient that a double sided SPD cleated pedal. They might seem a bit expensive from the photographs, but when you see them 'in the flesh' you can tell the quality, well made and yet still not over heavy.

All in all, I wouldn't buy these pedals on 3 separate occasions, if I didn't like them now would I ? - that should speak for itself. So... in summary, don't let the price put you off (they are even more expensive outside Amazon), if you intend using (or are already using) cleated shoes, then put these on your shortlist and after comparing with other cleated pedals, spend just under forty quid and buy with confidence...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product for serioous leisure cyclists, 5 April 2013
This review is from: Shimano Pdm324 Single Sided Spd (pack of 2) (Sports)
Having only used toe clips in the past these were my first experience of SPD pedals. I had recently bought some 'proper' cycling shoes and finding them an advantage I decided to go to the next level with these pedals. I chose them because of the benefit of having only one side for clips for serious long rides and the other for when I need to wear ordinary shoes for a short local 'hop' Learning to clip in without looking may take practice but the increase in efficiency of pedalling effort is worthwhile. Not remembering to unclip when stopping can be painful to body and pride but I learnt that lesson quite quickly!
Advantages: Single sided clips; well made; good price.
Disadvantage: A bit heavy compared with standard pedals and skeleton type clip pedals

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent commuter pedal, 29 Mar 2013
This review is from: Shimano Pdm324 Single Sided Spd (pack of 2) (Sports)
These are ideal for the commuter and weekend leisure rider who wants to try clipless but retain the option of a platform pedal. Clipping in is easy, remembering to clip out takes a bit of mental training but once you get the hang of it you'll be fine.
They are well made with smooth bearings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Single sided Shimano SPD pedals, 17 Jan 2011
Nick SC (South-east England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shimano Pdm324 Single Sided Spd (pack of 2) (Sports)
These have a quality feel to them and have adjustable unclipping resistance. They're ideal - excellent for clipping in and out of, but also work well when you're wearing everyday shoes or want to ride unclipped in (in snow for example). I use them on my event bike (sportives etc) and my commuting bike through town. Using clips almost all the time helps develop the unclipping reflex. Whether I'm riding clipped in on using the other side my feet find the right side first time almost always. They weigh a little more than SPD only pedals but that's a slight penalty for the versatility.

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have gone for a double sided pedal, 15 July 2014
This review is from: Shimano Pdm324 Single Sided Spd (pack of 2) (Sports)
Now i am re-thinking that a 2 sided pedal would have been better. Being a newbie I find it hard to clip so that means if I fail once, on the next go the pedal is the wrong way round, so you need to spin it the right way up and try again... and so on. I suppose I wouldnt have had this issue with a double sided one.
The pedal however fulfills it's one sided nature. I like how it looks, the ease of setup and the smoothness of unclipping

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 2 Nov 2012
This review is from: Shimano Pdm324 Single Sided Spd (pack of 2) (Sports)
My first SPD pedal, hence I went for the 2 sided, and I'm really getting into it, very happy, especially with the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, 28 Feb 2012
This review is from: Shimano Pdm324 Single Sided Spd (pack of 2) (Sports)
Great value and a quality product. I have this pedal on all my bikes for the past 8 years. Would recommend this pedal.