5.0 out of 5 stars How have I manged without for so long
Published on 14 Aug 2008 by Mark Harrison

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the handle coming loose
I bought this back as a laptop carrier/overnight bag for frequent overnight trips on business and over the shoulder bags I used were aggravating a shoulder injury meaning frequent visits to a physiotherapist.

Published on 29 Mar 2011 by N. McKinlay

5.0 out of 5 stars How have I manged without for so long, 14 Aug 2008
Mark Harrison - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wenger WA-7953-02 Patriot Roller 2 Piece Business Travel Set for up to 17 Inch Notebooks with Removeable Notebook Case (Apparel)
Oh my god, this has made my life so much easier!! I'm constantly travelling around and to have 1 bag instead of 2 or 3 makes my life a lot easier. Its really well designed and there's plenty of compartments to keep things organized. I especially like the removable laptop case! The quality of the zips give it away that this bag is built to last, why else would they give it a lifetime warranty!! Thoroughly deserves the Wenger badge.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Welcome Surprise In All Respects, 9 Nov 2009
O. Beltrami (Thouare sur Loire France) - See all my reviews
Prior to this purchase, I had used a hardcase Samsonite "pilot-case" since 2002. After 7 years, and over 200 days on the road a year, my Samsonite case was in tatters, but ever since I started looking for a replacement, back in 2005, I never found anything that would replace it ... until now.

The Wenger is great and keeps all the things I liked about my Samsonite:
* Laptop is well protected. Though not a hard-case, the Wenger holds the laptop in a middle compartment, protected on both sides by foam, and with the posibility of keeping the laptop inside a padded pouch (which fits fine into the compartment). BTW: my laptop is a Thinkpad with 15.4 inch screen).
* Access to the laptop can occur when case is vertical (no need to lay the case flat and close all other compartments).
* The only compartment that could need flat opening, the one for "bulk" items, opens at 45 degrees which is even better than flat.
* Lots of room inside for odd-sized objects (such as my noise-cancelling headphones).
* Outside pouch for plane tickets ...

In addition, the Wenger has some marked benefits compared to my Samsonite:
* Despite the space available for large objects, there is a plethora of pouches for wallet, passport, glasses, even USB stick (a minor detal, but it's nice not to have to fish through my bag to get my USB stick anymore). In the previous models that I researched since 2005, these extra pockets always seemed like a gimmick, but with the Wenger, they all seem useful (and most of them are useful to me (and none of them "gets in the way").
* Most importantly, despite all the above, THE BAG LOOKS SMALL. Anyone who dreads the moment at the boarding gate when the boarding agent looks at your bag to decide if it should go into the hold or in the cabin with you, will appreciate this feature.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the handle coming loose, 29 Mar 2011
N. McKinlay - See all my reviews

I got this back at a good price (lower than current price) and was initially delighted with it, but less so after about 2-3 months use. I've had it for over a year now and it is used regularly.

Pros:
Enough space for a 2-night trip with everything I need.
Enough compartments for clothes, laptop, files, power supplies etc.
When rolling the wheels are smooth and it is stable.
If fits in overhead lockers with no problem.
It feels well made with one glaring omission.

Cons:
The torx screws for the handle continually loosen themselves, even after I have tightened them up with a torx driver. This occurs when extending and lowering the handle. The first symptom is that the handle won't collapse. The result is that I spend a lot of time tightening the torx screws with my fingers as I know they'll come loose. It happens on a daily basis when in use. It's not feasible to carry a torx driver through airport security so sore fingers and odd looks from other passengers are the order of the day.

Other reviewers have had the handle collapse and one gentleman at an airport asked me if the handle had fallen apart yet as his did after a few months.

This is a glaring omission on Wenger's part and almost makes the bag not fit for purpose as it's no use if it cannot go in an overhead locker - which it won't if the screws loosen. Take the screws out and it'll fall apart.

A Major flaw in the quality of this product.

I guess next step is to use glue on the screws to try and stop it happening.

It's premium priced but not premium quality in all areas.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great overnight travel day case, 22 Aug 2007
David J. Jones "Draig" (Wales) - See all my reviews
Purchased about 6 months ago. No sign of wear other than the usual dirt so far. Well made and comfy to pull and carry. I use it for flyng and have never been stopped for carry on. I can fit enough clothes for 3 days along with a laptop and files. My only gripe is that it does not have a shoulder strap so you either have to pull or hand carry it which can be a pain when its fully loaded.

2.0 out of 5 stars Stylish but flawed, 11 Jan 2008
Bought this 3 months ago in October 2007, and was really impressed with its design, useability and style. Its was very smooth when using the wheels, and the overnight compartment made it a great bag to take on short trips.
The lack of a shoulder strap became a burden when the bag was loaded up, and hand carried. However yesterday the main handle just came away in my hand, and left me with a VERY heavy case to carry about the streets or London.
Today I have found lots of internet reviews saying the same thing, so I cannot recommend this bag, despite its Swiss origins, and stylish looks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Luggage Ever, 15 Oct 2008
I love this little luggage set - really versatile - love the combinations of luggage you can use and the fact I can detach my laptop to go to a meeting when I'm away on business and yet it can hold clothing and files for several days away too.

I also managed to drop it off the back of my Land Rover (full loaded with a new Laptop) and neither bag nor contents suffered any harm. Seems as hardwaring as could be expected and it's great to know there is a lifetime warranty too.

Didn't really know anything about Wenger before I bought this, and am sad to admit it but I felt quite exclusive having the Swiss cross on my luggage! Now I've had it for several months I see these little Swiss crosses everywhere I go across Europe - Wenger must be doing something correctly.

Anyway a great product, fully recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Warning Misleading Information, 5 Nov 2011
I have just purchased the Wenger Patriot Roller Case, it arrived swiftly and is exellent quality.
The problem is that the "technical details on this article clearly state that it is a roller case and notebook case (true enough) it also states that the notebook compatability is 17" THIS IS WRONG. I have a 16" sony and this item was purchased specifically due to the size stated and it will not fit, so that makes the notecase completly useless to me.
The laptop will fit in the Roller case but that is not why I purchased it.
I had read through some of the other reviews and this was not mentioned. The other 2 piece case set (69.95) has this warning all over the reviews. When the item arrived the ticket attached clearly shows 17" for the roller case and 15" for the notecase. I have now to decide whether to return it or lump it. Shame as its a really beautiful set of cases.
SO BE WARNED, I WILL BE TAKING THIS UP WITH THE SUPPLIER.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice Bag Shame About the Quality, 6 Oct 2007
David Knox "Knoxyboy" (Ayrshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
On the face of it, this is a realy nice, well designed bag. The removable laptop case is a great idea and expands the capacity. However, I have now had 4 of these bags which have been returned under warranty. On 3 off the bags, the main handle broke and on the final bag the zipper around the laptop compartment burst along the stiching. As you can see I tried to make this bag work for me as I really liked the versatile design but in the end I took a refund and bought a Targus which is not as well designed. Time will tell if the Targus is better made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 16 Mar 2013
I needed a bag like this as I am traveling quite a lot and I used to carry everything in a back pack. After each trip I promised myself I am going to buy a wheeled bag but I couldn't find a suitable one... until I discovered this.
After reading all the reviews, I did not know whether to buy it or not. I was not concerned about the quality, but the fit of the inside bag. I have a 17" laptop and I wanted it to fit in the inside bag as well. Well, I took my chances, ordered this, it arrived the next day. And surprises surprises: my laptop fits the inside bag! One small corner remains unzipped, but you can hardly see and I can live with that, I prefer that rather than not having an inside bag at all.
Regarding the quality, it is marvelous. Great fabric, silent quality wheels, very easy to pull, the hanger comes in and out really easy, well designed with lots of partitions for everything you want. Only time will say, but it doesn't look like the one which will break into pieces soon.
Overall, top mark. I am just wondering how I survived without a bag like this?

5.0 out of 5 stars Wenger Travel Set, 24 Dec 2011
This product was delivered extremely fast and it proved value for money the first time I used it for a trip involving 6 international airports in 72 hours. It is easy to fit several days worth of clothing and necessities within the bag and it could be taken on board all the aircraft I flew in as hand luggage. Great value for money!