on 5 March 2012
I bought a pair of these tyres recently, and I've now had the chance to road test them on two day rides.

First of all, I approached the fitting with trepidation having read some of the reviews on other sites. But, armed with the highly recommended YouTube video by Spa Cycles which explains how to fit them without using levers, I had them on easily within 20 minutes or so. As I'm one of the least practical people on the planet, that's good going! The "trick" is to secure the tyre using toe-clips, string or cable-ties, then gradually work round the tyre, creating slack by "bedding" the tyre in the rim well, making sure the inner isn't snagged. It's much easier to watch than explain, but if I can do it, believe me it can't be that bad. I guess that the wheel rim type will make a difference to how easy the fitting process is; mine are Mavik 319s. Anyway, I'm now confident that I could fix a puncture on the road if I need to. Not bad for a numpty like me.

The ride seems fine. I don't detect any appreciable slowing effect over my previous tyres from the extra puncture protection. I'm using them on a loaded touring bike (20kg spread over 4 panniers).

I'm about to embark on a lengthy tour (4000+ miles) with these tyres, so will report back more fully on how they perform. But for now, it's thumbs up.

Update: I've now completed 2500 miles using these tyres and I've found them to be remarkably durable. Firstly, I've had no punctures, despite riding over diverse surfaces including rough chalk, potholed lanes, and broken-glass on city cycle paths. I ran over a thorn, which I removed from the tyre with no problem at all. The wear seems light, and I like the light-reflective band on the tyre edge.

I'd recommend thes to any touring or commuter cyclist who is fed up of getting punctures.

So, only a partial review, but I thought it might be useful for anyone who is put off by the fitting issues.
44 comments|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 November 2009
These tyres are heavy, verging on 1Kg each (depending on tyre size). They are very hard to fit (tip: use cable ties to hold the tyre on to the rim a section at a time when fitting for the first time, they act as a third hand). I also had to buy a "Pedros Downhill Tyre Lever" to help get them off as I broke a few plastic levers.

Once fitted, these tyres are indestructable. I rode 5,000 miles over a year or so to and from work. I NEVER got a puncture. Through glass, down tow paths and up kerbs (keep them at max pressure). I even had a roofing tack (nail) stuck in them once and I hadn't realised until I got to work. I wondered why the bike was "going up and down". I pulled it out with pliers. It still didn't puncture.

When the tread on the rear tyre had worn down I decided to cut the tyre open to see what the "blue stuff" in the picture actually felt like. I first used a kitchen knife, then scissors, then a bread knife and finally a full size hacksaw!

Fantastic.
22 comments|72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 December 2014
Summary: If you commute and never want to have a puncture buy these, otherwise get something cheap and nasty and enjoy repairing a flat on the side of the road.

This is the second time that I have bought these tyres. The first was 4 years ago. Since then I have ridden approximately 20,000 kilometers to and from work in Melbourne (Australia) and London (UK), generally all on-road bicycle paths on major roads.

I have ridden over broken windshield glass, bottle (whole and shards), metal fragments, screws, nails, and anything else you can think to find on a major road. Nothing, not a single problem. Before the Schwalbe's I ran Vittoria's, which punctured usually once a fortnight, don't buy them. I have also had Continental Gatorskins - they are good, and a bit cheaper, but you will eventually get a puncture.

I decided to re-purchase when I got my first puncture in 4 years, I don't carry a pump, levers or spare tubes - they never puncture (well once). The way I see it, buying any other brand of tires for commuting, you will end up spending more on inner-tubes and stress than the Schwalbe's.

It seems that some people have had trouble getting these tires on, I can only imagine that they are autistic potatoes and cannot figure out what size their rim's are. They are very very easy to get on, I didn't need zip ties or even a set of levers. They are excellent tires, bit slow and sticky on the road to start, after the first 200k's they ease up and are a dream to ride on.
on 30 December 2011
I do about 100 miles a week over mixed, and sometimes, very rough ground, but mostly roads. Used to average 1 puncture a week. Since fitting these 5 weeks ago, I've not had a puncture. Went over a half broken bottle last week that would normally shred a tyre, and these didn't even mark! I now have the confidence to go across most surfaces puncture free.

These are quick and quiet tyres too; they have very little rolling resistance. Good grip on wet tarmac but lousy in mud. If you travel a lot on muddy trails I would consider a deeper treaded tyre to these.

Some reviews seem to find these difficult to fit but I found them quite easy. You wont get them on with nylon tyre fitters, you need a good set of steel ones; but other than that they were no problem. Pushing the bead into the tyre as you work your way around the rim helps enormously.

So far I'm very impressed with these.
on 21 August 2012
Purchased the 700x35C for my rear wheel 2 months ago. Loved it and thought I'd get one for the front wheel.

The 35c was pretty easy to pop on and I wondered what the fuss was about when I heard people couldn't get it on. However, after spending the best part of 20 minutes battling, sweating and shouting at my front wheel trying to get the 32c on, I understood what the other people were talking about!

I was told to press and flatten the tyre into the rim as much as possible on both sides and "ease" the top over, but no luck. It was laughable, there was no play whatsoever.

Eventually, I held the tyre and rim to the floor with my feet, and flicked the bit that was still hanging out in with my metal tyre lever. Bad practise, I know!, but there was no other way..

I really hope I don't get a puncture on the road because if it's difficult to get on in the safety of my lounge, there's no way in hell I'd get it back on in the street!
on 8 October 2012
Use on MT bike to commute 80-100 miles a week on road and cycle lane in all weather for almost a year. No punctures front or back and wearing well. Part of this is to do with the quality of the tyre and partly as I'm running them at 80 psi, so sharps just bounce off. The only downside is because of this they can be a little slippery in the wet or grime when cornering at speed. Also best keep a check on your spoke tension as 1.35 tyres at high pressure give the wheels a bit more of a beating than fat 2.00 at lower psi. An extra benefit to the thinner tyre is the decrease in resistance meaning my commute is a bit easier on the legs than before.
on 5 October 2012
I used to get around a puncture a month with just a 10km daily commute in the glass filled streets of Antwerp. So far with the Marathon Plus' I have not had a puncture for 900km or so. I suggest you go on you tube and watch a video on how to fit them. Make sure there is some air in the tube so you don't catch it and work round from a start point in a methodical manner. They pop on without any trouble. Since looking up how to do this, as suggested by another reviewer, I will never find fitting a bike tyre of any kind more than a minor problem. You should bare in mind that they are quite unforgiving ride wise due to the high pressure they require, but I am enjoying not waking up to punctures...
on 12 February 2013
My bike came with continental tyres and they were too easy punctured, so i changed them over for marathon plus, good reflective strip round the tyre for winter riding, no problems with punctures now, slightly heavier feel to the tyre but no difference to ride, thoroughly recommended
on 20 January 2013
After getting stuck, changing a tube in pouring rain one time too many, I decided to invest in these after taking some advice from friends. I had some concerns after reading horror stories in the reviews about the difficulty of fitting these. If something requires a you tube demo- it sets alarm bells off for me. I needn't have worried. It's true they did require a fair amount of muscle to get them on- but nothing too excessive. It's also true that I had a couple of bruised knuckles after fitting. However, the hours of anxiety free cycling I've had since, definitely makes it worthwhile. The only caveat I would add is that perhaps if you are not so physically able, you may have to get someone to assist/ fit them for you, but it is worth the effort.
on 26 October 2015
This is quite simply the best commuter tyre money can buy, I discovered this bad boy after a 20 mile commute (6 months after fitting the tyre). I'm not sure where I picked it up, but when I did I just pulled it out and rode home. I'm still on the same tyre 2 years on. I've never had a puncture in the 6 years I've been using these tyres. Fit and forget.
review image