on 15 March 2010
I used a set of these tyres for cycling 1000 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats, and completed the ride without any punctures - despite rubbish weather and bad road surfaces galore. I have them on the bike I use for commuting, and I think I've suffered two punctures in about 3 years (~40 miles per week, urban/country roads). I'm pretty happy with that failure rate - both punctures were caused by nasty large shards of glass. I think I've found a great reliable product here, and I'm sticking with them from now on!
on 27 June 2011
I have done 3500 miles on a set and only today went around them to inspect. Flint still enters the rubber but goes no further, i am quite shocked at how protective they are ( bullet proof ).Ive had other tyres and they let the flints & glass shards in, which only work into the tube at the furthest point from home. The only reason to buy new ones is due to the slitting of the tread and wear out. Im sticking with this product.
on 14 January 2012
My daily commute takes me along gravel tracks where the flints just shred tyres. I used to use Bontrager hardcase tyres and over 10000 miles they averaged 308 miles between punctures. Fronts used to last between 3-4000 miles and rears 2-3000 miles. I switched to Schwalbes which are averaging 720 miles between punctures and both front and rear have over 5000 miles on them now.
Its not all positive though. They are very heavy, I weighed them at 950g each whereas the Bontragers weigh 550g. Also, the grip is not so good. I have to turn off the road on a steep hill and there is a very convenient braking point marker on the road. On the Bontragers I could lift the back wheel under braking whereas on the Schwalbes I just don't have the confidence to brake that hard. That said, unless you really want to do stunts like lifting the back wheel under braking then the grip from the Schwalbes is perfectly adequate.
Bottom line is if you want to avoid punctures, go for them.
on 3 February 2011
The route I cycle is full of grit and on my old tyres the grit would pierce the rubber and if I didn't remove the grit it would work its way into the tyre and a puncture was next.

These tyres are different. The grit doesn't get into the rubber and having checked daily for 2 weeks I haven't found one piece of grit embedded in the rubber. Excellent tyres and worth the extra price.
on 17 April 2007
Ive been using these tyres for the last three years on the bike i use everyday to get to and from work. I am on my second pair and i can't fail them so long as you want to keep them on. Taking them off is a real hastle as they are a very tight fit. Oh and you won't ever have the excuse for running late to work any more because you won't have got a flat ! Honestly.
on 8 October 2012
These are high qaulity tyres. I bought them for more tricky wet and frozen roads for use in the UK during the Winter. I ride a Ridgeback Ultra Flight 04. It is pretty quick and had ultra continental tyres (slicks) on it during the summer of 2012. The Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres were not so easy to fit at home - I did it in the end, care needed with installing the inner tube (push valve in before inflation to ensure that the rim of the type does not catch the edge of the inner tube, otherwise you'll get a buldge in the side of your tyre, like I did 3 times. The extra thickness of the tyre is noticable (for added protection against punctures - which is great!), as is the additional weight. The latter is one compromise that I had thought about but hadn't factored in fully. I guess that I am now 3 mph slower than when using the slicks (validated by the same route, similar road and weather conditions etc.). I have not tested them on frost or ice yet - still to come. I hope they are better than slicks, but then there is conflicting advice on the web about that. I have subsequently learnt that the dynamics of water removal from cycle tyres is very different to car tyres, especially in the wet. You can't aqua plane on a bike like mine, so more contact with the road is actually better - one for you scientists out there!

Overall, a good purchase (for the price - local bike shop engineer was very impressed). However, there are more fundamental questions you need to ask yourself about this tyre, and indeed related tyre products.
on 9 June 2015
Three thorns in the space of a few months, Uploaded a photo of the latest. I had less punctures with my cheap tyres, cant understand it lol. I keep my tyres 40-50psi. Only do around 20-30 miles a week, mixed surface, paths road, canals.

Tyres was on the rear both times.

Tyres weigh 1kg and are difficult to remove and put back on, neither would matter if i didnt keep getting punctures.
review image
55 comments|2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 August 2013
Whilst they may be more expensive than most tyres they are a quality item. These tyres will save you time and money as they seem to be almost indestructible. Well constructed and easier to fit than anticipated. Recommended for those who cycle above average miles.
on 21 November 2015
Bought one of these tyres for my racing bike 2 months ago. I kept getting punctures on my front wheel (I used to have Continental Ultra Gator Skin Trye 700x23 DS - they wore down in about 3 months and I was getting punctures nearly once a month). These tyres feel loads better and so far I haven't had a single puncture; I appreciate it's still early days (I'll update if it changes). As you can see from the product photo the Marathon plus tyres have a "smart guard" layer between the inner of the tyre and the outside. You can physically feel this layer and so far it has given me the protection I need against London's pot-hole/broken glass-ridden roads. An additional feature of this tyre is the reflective coating along both edges of the tyre. I didn't notice this when I first purchased but it is great. I often cycle home in the dark after work and if, for example, I am facing side-on to a car i.e., when you are turning right at a T-junction, this adds an extra opportunity for drivers to see you (often your bike lights will be on the front and back of the bike... not the side).

TIP: like other people have stated, these tyres are tight-fitting and relatively difficult to fit, but I am no expert and I managed to do it. I found wearing my cycling gloves helped me grip the tyre better, allowing me to ease it onto the wheel. It does take some time though. ALSO: because the tyres is tight fitting, make sure you don't pinch the inner tube when you put the tyre on, otherwise you will get a flat instantly!
on 24 April 2014
I bought these just over a year ago to replace some old unbranded tyres on my road bike having recently punctured them cycling around London and dealing with some pretty rough and tough road conditions and these did not disappoint.

I commute to work daily around West London, specifically within a 5 mile radius of Heathrow, coming across all kinds of road conditions from quiet residential streets to busy dual carriageways like the Bath Road/A4. I do around 80-100 miles a week. You name it I've cycled over it from speed bumps to potholes, gravel, broken glass, nuts and bolts and whatever other trash and debris gets left in the gutter much of which I have been unable to avoid because of circumstances on the road. Not a single puncture and not even much wear showing either given the several thousand miles I've put on them (4000 ish?). Just great.

Fast forward to a new accounting year and a new bike on a cycle to work scheme (yay!). Decent bike with good branded wheels and tyres (Eastway E28s with Kenda tyres) but 3 days in and the rear has popped. So here I am writing a review and buying a fresh set of Marathons to put on (I'll be changing the front too before that punctures).

These aren't fast or pretty but when you need to get somewhere on time and reliability is key these are absolutely brilliant but you won't win many races on them if that's your thing. I bought these Marathons with the following inner tubes in anyone is interested: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000NJL6OM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1