4.0 out of 5 stars Odd in places but generally good
I'll start with the bad points. Firstly, the much-vaunted range of riding animals. The responsiveness of riding a horse is abysmal, and getting to within 30 feet of where you want to go takes a fair amount of effort.

Secondly, the game isn't *that* pretty, especially compared to other recent titles like Bioshock.

Thirdly, the "alchemy" system seems...
Published on 13 Sept. 2007 by Lloobee

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite Oblivion, but almost there..
Two Worlds is sold as an Oblivion style game. Oblivion was an awesome, ground breaking game, in my opinion the best RPG of 2006. Two worlds copies this, and adds combat from horseback to the mix. It nearly works!

The game is distincly average. The plot is ok but not great, the graphics are good, the countryside is big to explore but sparsely populated...
Published on 12 Sept. 2007 by Paul from Coventry

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite Oblivion, but almost there.., 12 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Two Worlds (PC DVD) (Video Game)

Pay particular attention to the online activation requirement though. Not only do you need to activate this game before you can play it, you need to do so on subsequent reinstallations. If you have changed your PC hardware in any way you have to contact the support desk and explain yourself before they let you play. This will aggravate some custoners. Be warned, but don't be put off the game itself!

4.0 out of 5 stars Odd in places but generally good, 13 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Two Worlds (PC DVD) (Video Game)

Thirdly, the "alchemy" system seems completely random, and the effects created seem to have very little bearing on what ingredients were used, except that if you used something poisonous then you're liable to wind up with something more so.

On the plus side, hitting stuff is nice and smooth, the animation is acceptable, and there are some nice features.

The magic system works very well, and although it's a very minor thing, having the currently active spell mapped to the right button (attack is left button) means that you don't need to put your weapon away while being attacked, to cast a spell. Both Gothic 3 and Oblivion (less so) suffered from this.

The "booster" method (pretty much like the spell modifications in neverwinter nights 2) works well and is not as clumsy as the NWN2 system - it's more "I want this fireball spell with more power. Right, now eat that bandits".

The map seems rather large, and the whole thing does feel pretty open-ended. Go where you want, attack people, get the stuffing kicked out of you, go try something else.

Equipment is a bit odd, in that if you have 2 identical items, you can turn them into a single, slightly better, item. I suppose it makes sense for armour (taking the best parts from two suits) but not really for swords! However, at least it does avoid the age old problem of "I've killed fifty bandits, now to spend a day lugging all their armour back to town to sell it". Especially as there are lots of bandits. And Wolves. And Bears...

Overall, gets 4 stars from me because it's competently put together (but not brilliant), intuitive to control, open ended, and actually does have some good new(ish) features. Haven't tried the multiplayer mode.

2.0 out of 5 stars This game is actually pretty bad, 3 Sept. 2008
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Two Worlds (PC DVD) (Video Game)
This game could have been nice, i.e. there's a nice and nice looking
world, a decent plot, different branches, side quests etc, but it
completely fails to deliver and is very VERY buggy (v1.5). Compared
to other games in the genre it is basically a waste of time (sorry
dear game developpers, I recognise that you had better intentions)
- Character model/movement too unrealistic/plastic for this age
- Major bugs in plots (missing people)
- Major glitches in the levelling system (overflow to negative scores)
- Unbalanced leveling (killing a dragon with one sword stroke...)
- oops we had no time to finish the world (empty dwarf town & a quite
literal end of the map)
- Glitches in trigger events for the story line (just walking in a room
instead actually/deliberately performing an action), this is irritating
and hard to describe; The feeling to have no control over what happens

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as bad as the other reviews, 24 Sept. 2007
Richard Kelly (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Two Worlds (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I have been waiting for the next free form game for a while now - after putting in a long shift on Oblivion, and Two Worlds looked to be the next obvious game to purchase. As some of the other reviews state, yes you do need other software to run your game, but you always have done - the PhysX stuff is just for the in game physics engine etc...

On first impression I was very disapointed in the standard of graphics being delivered - I had expected something along the lines of the beauty of Oblivion, but it just doesn't hold a candle to it. The graphics are okay, but they really are nothing special.

The game play also isn't anything special, it reminds me of a mish mash of Diablo and Morrowind (or Oblivion if you like, but to me more Morrowind). Combat is simple point and click, if you are disarmed then you cannot fist fight. Once you learn the basics of combat it is pretty much Click to hit (repeat) wait for the enemy to attack then jump back - repeat until they all die (or you die). Magic is nothing special either with a limited number of spells for you to find, purchase etc.

Character advancement is also nothing special - you level up you major skills, of which their are quite a few and at the same time you increase you stats (of which there are only 4). At first you die very easily, and as you increase in Level suddenly everything is easy. The best thing is that the wandering creatures do not become more powerful as you do - they become more powerful as you move further from the start position, if you advance slowly and do the side quests then the whole game becomes quite simple.

The main story and quests are also nothing special - The Orcs are becoming war like, and your sister has been kidnapped by forces unknown, whilst you are heir to some mysterious magical artifact that has been spread across the land. It is possible to do the quests out of order and confuse the quest log, as I did it - game testing should have spotted this!

The voice acting is pretty poor and why they chose such cod olde english is beyond me. Right at the end the voices also cut out several time during the final apocalypic meeting, which did sort of ruin the whole effect.

There was pleanty to keep me occupied for about 20 hours of game play (and that's being generous). I was promised a massive immersive world, instead I got an over hyped game that was okay whilst it lasted.

It really is nothing special - if you like diablo then it is too slow, if you like Oblivion/Morrowind then it is too much point and click. It falls between too many stones to be a really good game. I'm giving it 5/10 as I did enjoy it, but it is average at best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth A try, 19 Dec. 2007
J. Tory (UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Two Worlds (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I had serious doubts about buying this game having read many of the other reviews here. However, I am very pleased i did.

Bottom line, its a relaxing enjoyable and highly playable RPG.

Does it have a few niggles, yes no question, however none of them i found to be serious enough to diminish my enjoyment. The riding can be frustraing, although in the most recent patch it is massively improved. The probelm stemmed from the fact that they tried to make riding more realistic, so your horse had a mind of its own, they have made it more directly controlable now.

The quests are fairly straight forward, but the world is fairly large and you are free to travel wherever you want to go. The lvling system is again easy, and there are NPC's that allow you to retrain if you feel the need. The alchemy system is in fact very straight forward once you understand it, infact if it has one flaw its that it is too simple and straightforward, once you understand the basics, there are no surprises.

Truth be told, i may not have given this game 5 stars, had there been much competition out there, however there isnt't. I purchased the witcher at the same time i played this, and dispite that game having far better reviews, personally i dont rate it. Having struggled playing it for 5 hours, i gave up, and played two worlds instead. Simply put, this game kept me happy for about 40-50 hours of gaming, what more can you ask?

3.0 out of 5 stars A good first RPG experience, 22 Oct. 2007
Carol Evelin (Misery, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Two Worlds (PC DVD) (Video Game)
If, like me, you're not a role-player by inclination (I favour city building/God sim games myself), but you've always fancied giving an RPG a try you'll find this game is one that won't frustrate you at the first hurdle. I'd tried the odd RPG like "Might & Magic" a few years ago & never managed to get past the first test, giving up after a few results of being sent back to my starting position. That won't happen with "Two Worlds", although you're quite likely to get killed fairly often until you get the hang of exactly who you can tackle now & who's best left for later when you've build your character up. But if, also like me, you play your games on the easy (or normal) setting you'll be resurrected & can carry on from where you last died with no penalty (except to your statistics). If you attempt the hard you will die & have to begin again from scratch.
The graphics are stunning whichever way you look, with a realism that makes the game truly believeable. Unfortunately, you'll probably be so engrossed with solving the various quests that only occasionally will a particular view catch your eye and make you say "wow!". Game play is easy to learn & the combat is both fun to watch & satisfying to undertake.
So why only 3 stars? Well, I bought my copy (the European Royal Editon) back when it came out in the spring so I had the original version. I soon had the updates to 1.2 which added to the enjoyment, but the 1.3 & 1.4 updates have rather spoiled the game for me. It's not so easy to get some of the ingredients as in the previous versions; you need to have at least 2 of the same one or 2 complementary so you can "cook" them & many of the 1.2 mineral effects have changed from permanent to temporary. You can no longer see all the underground possibilities on the map interface as it's now blacked out except for those you've already explored. With the latest changes, there seems to be more cases of wolves standing on cave ceilings, animal ghosts that bear no relation to the animal you just killed & even the occasional corpse disappearing completely altogether once you've killed it (& before you can loot it). In one game I actually had 3 "dead" skeletons still standing up! The main teleports can be awkward to operate - unless you stand on exactly the right part nothing happens & you have to try again, & the only things I've been able to do with a portable one is drop it on the ground & pick it up. Even when I'm standing right on top it it, it just doesn't work.
The horses are a waste of time, it's easier just to run around. I love being able to stack armour/equipment to make it stronger though. What a great idea.
The main disappointment is the wimpy ending of the game itself. Whatever course I decide to take I expected more reaction than a simple fading out back to the main menu. I surprised myself by getting to the end on my first attempts & was so nonplussed by the result I thought I'd done something wrong (subsequent games have proved otherwise). If I've spent all this time rescuing my sister I'd at least like a reunion with her in the flesh at the end of the game! Some sort of congratulatory efforts needs to be added to make you realise you've actually achieved your goal - whichever one it is.
Having never played any of the other RPG's that are around I can't comment on "Two Worlds" playability for more experience gamers, but if you've ever hankered to have a "bit of a bash about" this is an excellent starting vehicle. I'm still playing (Oct 07), trying out different combinations to see which is best for fighter or mage which is why my fun rating for this game is 4 against the overall mark of 3.
However, be warned. The Game of the Year edition add-on "Tainted Blood" is only available to MULTIPLAYERS - not single players. I wasted money buying this because nowhere on the packaging does it say it's for online gaming only. My understanding is that when "The Temptation" comes out in 2009 this will also be for online only.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good sandbox style RPG, 13 May 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Two Worlds (PC DVD) (Video Game)
To lay my cards on the table from the beginning, I'm a longtime fan of computer RPGs. Games I've enjoyed have been Morrowind/Oblivion, the Knights of the Old Republic games, Dragon Quest 8 and classics like Wizardry 8, the Might and Magic Series (6-8) and (a long time ago) Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder. I like games where you can build characters, level up and enjoy the whole RPG thing. Keep that in mind when I'm talking about this game.

This is a game that is like Oblivion. In fact, if Oblivion had never been released, Two Worlds would get much more praise. The fact is that it's not as good as Oblivion, but it has a lot going for it and if you liked Oblivion, you'll probably like this game.

The graphics are very good on maximum, although I'm running a high spec PC with a quad core processor, lots of RAM and a good graphics card. Sometimes the graphics are better than Oblivion, and on other occasions not. Overall - it's a well realised world. I suspect that the recent patch has made a big difference to the graphics as lots of criticisms of the game have pointed out flaws that I can't see when I'm playing.

The gameplay is very good. It's sandbox in style, in that you can do whatever you want and can complete lots of different quests or just follow the main quest. Personally I like to complete quests, wander about, explore and level up. One thing that makes it superior to Oblivion is that the enemies don't scale up according to your level, so you can return to areas which were previously too hard when you are more powerful and defeat tough opponents. This is very satisfying and was a major problem with Oblivion in my opinion. Some people have written that the game is too tough. I'm playing it on medium difficulty and am finding it just right.

The storyline itself is quite confusing and the manual doesn't reveal very much. You have to just play it and work out what's going on as you go. I've played for over 15 hours now and I'm starting to get a grip on the world, guilds, magic system and plot. This might seem like a long time but I'll often play a deep RPG for over 100 hours, so I'm just getting started.

I've not experienced any technical problems with no crashes and few glitches. The graphical hiccups that are there are minor - for example once or twice I've killed an enemy near to a cliff face and his corpse has gotten half stuck in the rock. It doesn't make any difference at all, but it's just not as polished as Oblivion.

Overall - think Oblivion but without the supreme attention to detail but with some other fine ideas that Oblivion didn't have. If you like Oblivion and you're not nit picking, you'll like this game. If you're a hardcore fan of RPGs, you'll like this game.

Just make sure you install it and download the latest patch, put the graphics onto max (if your system can handle it) and have an open mind. It's like Oblivion but it's not Oblivion. It is, however, a very accomplished and worthwhile addition to any RPG fan's collection. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A new classic, 20 Sept. 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Two Worlds (PC DVD) (Video Game)
This was the first game I bought for my new PC, and I am a little disappointed to say it doesn't exactly push it to the max...The game features High Dynamic Range lighting, giving things a realistic lustre, and making open scenery look better. It is worth mentioning that the game is not spectacular looking aside from that feature. The background scenery is attractive, if not overly realistic. The player characters and NPC's repeat, i.e. the same 10-12 faces in every village.

The other immersive qualities, e.g. sound, story, dialogue, leave a bit to be desired. The sound is echoey, the story is loose, and the voice acting is on a par with Barry Scott from the Cillit Bang ads on telly. Bad, if you haven't seen him.

However, those minor inconveniences can be set aside if you just consider the gameplay. Its not vastly different from other RPG's, but it allows you to do things you wanted to do in other ones. Its a vast, free roaming world with hidden locations, horses/lizards/mythical beasts to take you there. There is a vast array of armor/weapons/items, but they are easily compared and managed. Your horse can carry a large amount of stuff to take and sell. Any identical items can be combined to make stronger ones. You can brew alchemy potions/remedies/elixirs with plants and ores you find. Need some strength? Kill a wolf and eat its heart!

Combat is a little stiff, but fun. It is not turn based, its in real time. You can attack on foot, leaping and parrying enemies attacks, or from the back of your steed. Admittedly, it is a nightmare to control the horse - come within 10 feet of an obstacle and he turns wildly away from where you want to go. Thats a big problem when you try to walk through gates, as well, stupidly. However, you get a major attack rating bonus for attacking from horse/lizard back. Using items/magic quickly during combat is made easier by a toolbar linked to the keyboard numbers. The magic system itself is intuitive - position the spell you want and associate boosters with it. Simple as.

As its an RPG, there are plenty of skill/attributes to upgrade, from the usual magic/strength/dexterity and sneaking/weapon skills to skills like kicking dirt in an opponents eyes or swimming faster. And when you swim, by the way, your leather armour squeaks. Nice.

So, its a flawed gem. But a huge world to explore, secrets to unravel, quests to follow, items to gain and the potential to become a powerful warrior, mage, thief, archer, etc. makes it worthwhile. Moreover, it runs stably under windows vista, a rare trait these days.

The final word: it will probably appeal way more to RPG fans than general gamers due to mediocre graphics and imperfect gameplay, but I really do think its a worthwhile purchase for anyone. And if you love RPG's anyway, you will love this.

1.0 out of 5 stars can't even play it, 8 April 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Two Worlds (PC DVD) (Video Game)
The mouse cursor flickers all over the screen making changing any settings near imposible,tab key ,esc,or cursor bottons have no effect ,took many attempts to try and enter the activation key due to no focus in the box then when it finally works it then wants you to enter it again online if you want full access to all the extra features don't worry you can do this later ,so click on that and try to play the game ,"you have to activate on line" so after pulling out some more hair it then wants your full name ,address,postcode ,date of birth ,email ,all compulsary .First person view only works if you don't have a weapon.

So looks like its going in the bin shame as it was a present but just to much hassel to set up .

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it, 26 Dec. 2007
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Two Worlds (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I got this game thinking it would be good. It wasn't. I was amazed that they had the nerve to compare it to Oblivion, because it doesn't even come close.

1)Sure, the game world is big. On the other hand, it seemed fairly empty to me. Most of it was just boring, dull, monotonous forest or fields with no-one interesting in them. Sometimes you can spend ages walking around a settlement looking for a way in.

2)The graphics are ok, but not that good. They don't match oblivion's, no where near. Everything seems a bit rushed with graphics, lighting etc. isn't anything special.

3)The voice acting: I nearly cried. It is horrible. When people speak they move jerkily and sound almost robotic. The voices are bad English accents and have absolutely awful outdated expressions such as "Perchance" and "mayhap" which are said very badly and jerkily, like "Per-chance-you-are-correct.-May-hap-you-have-some-thing-for-me?"

4)Initially the interface is quite hard to grasp, you have to work to grasp the menu system and map etc. In Oblivion this was all very easy to understand and simple.

Pros:

1)The magic looked quite nice
2)Animations (e.g. swinging sword) are nice and smoothly done.

Conclusion:
I didn't like it. The storyline was the traditional not that good "kidnapped family member" one and it was nothing like Oblivion. The gameworld was big but boring. I would advise against buying it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Two Worlds (PC DVD)
Two Worlds (PC DVD) by Southpeak (Windows XP)