VINE VOICEon 31 August 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
What can I say, this is the Grand-Daddy of shredders.

It can shred upto 7 pages at once (including staples) and has facilities for shredding of CD/DVD's too. It comes with the SafeSense Technology so if your (or little ones) hands get close to the shredding mechanism and touch the metal surround it automatically cuts out.

The actual shredding mechanism is efficient too - very quiet and shreds items into VERY small pieces. Prior to this device we used a cheap Supermarket shredder which basically cut items into long thin strips - this behemoth really does shred things into tiny pieces - there's no way after using this that anyone would be able to recompile and use the infomation!

The only downside to this is the cost - not really aimed at the average home user - more for businesses, but you wont find a more thorough and feature packed shredder in the market, I'm sure of it!
on 23 August 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Fellowes MS-450 Microshred is a super piece of office equipment. It can shred up to 7 pieces of paper at one time and it quickly and efficiently does its job, without getting jammed and stuck as some other shredders do, and the paper is shredded into extremely small pieces (which would make good hamster or guinea pig bedding!)

The design is smart, functional and appears to be very hard-wearing. It comes with full instructions as well as plastic liner bags.
The SafeSense technology feature is very sensitive and the motion sensors are much stronger than I thought they would be, meaning that when the shredder stops immediately when it detects any movement near the opening. I found that you do have to avoid moving about too much near it when it is in operation as otherwise it will stop completely.

The shredder is easy to operate, functional and efficient. I am very satisfied with its performance so far and its quietness is an added bonus.
on 3 August 2009
This product does everything that it says it does. It is also very quiet in operation. If you do try and shred something that it is not happy with; like too thick, then you are given an easy method of releasing the offending item. The Safe Sense technology is good, but may confuse the user the first couple of times, as it is very sensitive. It is essential to use the waste bags as the shredded material is very small. As a home or light business use, this is an excellent investment and the best shredder I have ever purchased.
on 21 September 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is one solid machine! It was easy to setup, easy to use and really shreds well. There is a quick release function incase any papers get tangled and relatively safe on the fingers. The shredder operates more quietly than all the others I have used. It worth noting this is a bit more heavier than an average shredder. The machine shreds the paper to small particles, and comes with a guarantee. The machine is fairly expensive however and I am not sure what would happen if over time I needed to replace the blades.
VINE VOICEon 9 September 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There's not a huge amount of features that you can pack into a shredder but you can make it a really good one! Most importantly, of course, is how well does it shred paper? Very well indeed - the pieces are tiny, cross-shredded and look like they'd require a forensic team to piece together. It will also handle multiple sheets, staples and has a seperate slot for CDs and credit cards it will effectively destroy sensitive material to a level that would put off any identity thief. This feels like it's one step done from industrial machinery!

As well as keeping your privacy safe it will also keep your fingers safe, an automatic switch off occurs if fingers get too close to the slots and so prevent nasty accidents. Surprisingly this feature can be switched off by means of a little slide switch, which isn't easy but I'm still keeping my little one away from it. However, considering the price and volume of material that this is expected to go through, I can't see it as an everyday domestic shredder, so it's most likely to find use in an office environment. The bin underneath is the size of a small swing bin and a small pack of liners is included. It is very heavy but is fitted with castors which means it wheels about easily.

Never thought I'd be impressed by a shredder!
on 13 September 2009
This shredder is really awesome. The paper is shredded extremely small so there is no issues with security. It is much more quieter than cheaper brands than I have used and it truly is able to handle many sheets at the same time. For example, cheaper varieties say they can do up to 5 sheets but can rarely to more than 3 without grinding to a halt. This item feels like it has been built with quality in mind.
on 4 February 2014
After managing to persuade my manager that we needed a more robust shredder for the amount of paper we disposed of, I spent several hours deciding on what I thought would be the best product for our office. This shredder seemed to fit the bill and the reviews were positive.
It is no where near as fast and efficient as I had expected. It is not very happy with 7 sheets of paper and the picture gives the impression that you can see through the front to be able to judge when it is getting full but this is not the case. It is solid black plastic so you have to keep opening the bin to see how full it is or wait for it to jam which lets you know! I oil it religiously after every use as it does not sound as smooth after a few shreddings. I dont have the courage to even try to see how is manages with a CD!
On the plus side if you have highly sensitive material, it does shred into extremely small pieces.
This seems more on a par with a home shredder to me and not for office use.
on 29 August 2013
This suits my needs for my home office. The item arrived today so I can not comment on the longevity of this shredder. However out of the box it feels robust and of a good build quality. I bought this after reading some of the reviews of this and other shredders, along with my experience of cheap home office shredders and my experience of large office shredders (I worked for many years in an office dealing constantly with sensitive documents). I am currently starting a business and putting together a home office from scratch.

I realise that this is considerably more expensive than many Small Office Home Office shredders however having used a few cheap shredders in the past they can rarely shred more than one or two pages at a time. They also often leave the documents in still legible strands, even a cross cut one I had once. At work we had a shredder capable of shredding A3 with a large capacity bin. However this 'industrial' size shredder was still only capable of shredding three sheets at a time, making trips to the shredder a noticeably time consuming job.

I have just set up the MS-450 and destroyed a back log of personal documents, old bank statements, insurance documents etc. As well as a few old bank cards. I can confidently say that I am very happy this shredder. It is quiet which is not something I was looking for but having just made a few phone calls while shredding in the background I now see this as a great benefit both for time saving and for my aural health. The shredded paper is entirely illegible. On inspection of a random sample I can make out at most 5 letters of very small print (look at the bits of you bank statements that you never bother reading for an idea) and they were from different lines so nothing remotely useful. My carrier bag full of documents to destroy has only filled 3/4 of the bin capacity and I can remove the card/CD catching tray to increase the paper capacity. Also I have full confidence in the safety provided by the SafeSense technology. It is touch not pressure sensitive so even a light touch stops the machine. Good for me as I once saw a nasty shredding injury and also good in case the kids sneak into the office (something which I remember my Father worrying about when I was a child and at the time never understood why he always wanted to supervise me shredding).

Why only four stars?
It only cuts six sheets of paper. About what I was expecting but not as good as claimed. I believe another review claimed seven sheets but it kept rejecting seven sheets of my statements or insurance documents. On the other hand having rejected the over large bundle of papers there was no struggle with paper having jammed the mechanism which I have had before.
on 6 February 2012
This product is more than a standard home shredder. It is really quiet and the safesense technology is really good if you have little ones as if fingers get anywhere near the opening where the paper goes in then it stops the shredder completely. It is incredibly quiet and there is no way anyone would be able to piece together even one page as the shredded output is tiny. Good as it shreds cd's and credit cards too. Customer services from Whiteley is very good also and the delivery arrived when they said it would. Slight damage to the plug was resolved by email, responded to straight away and a replacement sent by Fellowes, received within 3 days of delivery. Thank you.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 30 August 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is very much the king of shredders, with a very solid feel and build quality. It is a bit larger than most home shredders (measuring 22" high x 14" wide x 10" deep), however it doesn't take up much more floorspace than my old shredder. It is mounted on wheels which is handy becuase it is a heavy piece of equipment, and being fairly bulky and large isn't easy to carry far.

This shredder is amazingly quiet, making just a purr when shredding rather than the pneumatic drill sound heard with many shredders. It can handle 7 sheets at once (without making a noise any louder than normal) and can even shred staples (though not paper clips). CDs can also be shredded, and there is a separate removable bin to catch the CD bits so they do not get into the paper (and contaminate it for recycling purposes).

The other outstanding feature which sets it far apart from a standard shredder is the size of the shreddings, with this machine they are only a little bigger than dust. With my old shredder it was possible to read entire words on the shreddings despite it being a cross cut shredder, with this there is no chance anything could ever be pieced together. Another boon with this one is that I put my shreddings onto the compost heap, and I suspect they will compost much more quickly with them being so much smaller in size.

The shredder comes complete with disposable dust bags to make emptying easier and a bottle of oil. It is recommended the blades are oiled once the bin has been filled, which should be an easy task and no trouble to keep this superb machine in good order.

See one answered question