4.0 out of 5 stars Affectionate take on Joni Mitchell's back catalogue
As with all attempts to cover well known songs from revered artists, there's a certain element of damned if you do, damned if you don't - Prince has come in for a lot of flak for a very Prince version of A Case Of You, while some love it; Sufjan Steven's entertaining reworking of Free Man In Paris is either loved for its invention or disliked for daring to do something...
Published on 24 April 2007 by ZaraBradley

3.0 out of 5 stars Patchy....
Wow, this is a patchy collection. There is no question that all of the songs are A1, top drawer - that's a given. But some of the arrangements are dreadful; and some of the arrangements are magnificent.

My favourite at the moment is Bjork's "Boho Dance" from Summer Laws, although Prince's "Case of you" is wonderful, as are the Brad Meldhau and Sarah McLachlan...
Published on 10 May 2007 by Kevin Sloane

5.0 out of 5 stars Best covers album I possess, 29 April 2014
This review is from: A Tribute To Joni Mitchell (Audio CD)
Superb covers of some much loved songs. Having been a Joni Mitchell fan for many years wasnt sure how I would like to hear others singing her songs, not disappointed. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good songs are good songs..., 7 Jun 2007
This review is from: A Tribute To Joni Mitchell (Audio CD)
I had a relatively recent Joni Mitchell epiphany, and slowly, steadily, I am working my way through her remarkable catalogue.

I wasn't expecting much from this tribute album, but happy to say I am really enjoying it. Usually tribute albums are an ill-thought out collection of tracks from artists that don't really have too much to offer. Here, however, I am feeling the love the featured artists clearly have for Joni. The songs are delivered with feeling and there's a clear respect for this amazing song-writer. Perhaps that's the key to the success of this tribute album - good songs are good songs, no matter what.

Prince's "Case Of You", I initially thought took too much of a liberty with the melody, but after a couple of listens I'm really loving his take. Björk's "Boho Dance" is wonderful. Cassandra Wilson's "For The Roses" is beautiful. And James Taylor's "River" was a big surprise. I think my favourite is Emmylou Harris' "Magdalene Laundries"... especially after seeing that documentary about Joni and her daughter's union. (The bad news is you're adopted; the good news is your birth mother is Joni Mitchell!).

I love Joni Mitchell and this tribute is very loving.

2.0 out of 5 stars Only one good track, 26 May 2009
This review is from: A Tribute To Joni Mitchell (Audio CD)
I bought this album because I heard the Prince version of 'Case of You', which is pretty fab. Afraid to say the rest of the album is rather nasty and unnecessary. I'm all for a little creativity, but buy a good Joni compilation instead.Hits

3.0 out of 5 stars FREE C.D IN PARIS?, 19 April 2007
COLSEE "colsee" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: A Tribute To Joni Mitchell (Audio CD)
Don't get me wrong, it is a huge compliment when people agree to contribute a song of a certain artist. The truth is though......why bother? Fans of that artist will always prefer the original version and play this maybe a few times as a novelty factor.

It feels like a c.d. you would get free with one of the main music mags.

As nice as it all might be I will be playing the originals a hundred times more.

Nice effort, a great compliment, but I doubt fans or Joni will benefit that much from this gesture.

3.0 out of 5 stars so so, 17 April 2007
This review is from: A Tribute To Joni Mitchell (Audio CD)
As in any "mix and match" tribute the quality of the covers is - being generous - very uneven.

Caetano Veloso's cover is relaxed and funny (I think there are a couple of changes in the lyrics). Elvis Costello, k.d. Lang, James Taylor and Annie Lennox are quite good: they bring the songs to their land being respectful to the originals.

THE WORST. Prince: why don't you retire? It's difficult to screw up A case of you. Well, he's done it. Once achieved this, he could just disappear forever.

THE BEST. Emmylou Harris is at once truthful, sings beautifully and makes the song her own's. After the disappointong CD with Mark K. she seems back to form.

(About Bjork's cover I won't say anything: I can't stand her so, even if she were great with this, I wouldn't be able to enjoy her singing).

In Joni's biography there was a record listed with covers by Elton John (Free man in Paris), Chaka Khan (Hejira) and also Annie Lennox and other people present in this one. Is it the same project? Has the original tribute ever been recorded or just an idea and finally this is the one?

A Tribute To Joni Mitchell
A Tribute To Joni Mitchell by A Tribute To Joni Mitchell (Audio CD - 2007)