5.0 out of 5 stars Review by a jaded, middle-aged, unfit old grump...
If anyone had ever told me I would one day write a positive review of an exercise DVD (especially a 'weird' exercise like kundalini yoga, which also involved chants and other oddness), I'm pretty sure I would have laughed out loud.

Published on 24 Feb 2009 by J. Scott

2.0 out of 5 stars not really for me!
Well after all the reviews I was very excited to receive the DVD and couldn't wait to get into the practice of Kundalini Yoga! Especially already being a big fan of yoga and recently going to ashtanga yoga classes - and loving them! However I really couldn't get into this, now the first problem for me was that most of it was in 'easy pose' which I find quite...
Published on 2 Feb 2009 by Carla

5.0 out of 5 stars Review by a jaded, middle-aged, unfit old grump..., 24 Feb 2009
J. Scott "JS" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Kundalini Yoga - to Detox and De-stress - Includes bonus music CD featuring Maya [DVD] (DVD)

I've reached an age where I'm probably flattering myself by saying I'm 'middle-aged'. I'm very unfit, overweight, with all sorts of bad habits as regards eating, drinking, and so on. It's been a long time since I had any interest in exercise or healthy pursuits.

Then a few weeks ago, a couple of health issues made me realise I'd better wise up slightly if I wanted to get to be any older than middle-aged. Being lazy, I looked around for some sort of exercise DVD that might do some good, but without making me sweat too much (like I say, I'm lazy!).

My Amazon browsing led me to kundalini yoga DVDs, most of which had wonderful reviews, so I decided to check out this one (uh, it was the cheapest, OK? About a tenner less than most of the others. Oh, and it includes a bonus CD of nice music.)

And here I am a few weeks later, shocked to the core to find myself feeling so good, with the excess weight already melting away, the bad habits somehow 'magically' losing their appeal, a decade's worth of back pains totally faded out of existence, and - perhaps best of all - feeling less grumpy and jaded, with a new interest in life. Actually, I think I already feel better and healthier than I did ten years ago.

Buy this DVD and just watch it, and you'll conclude that it's all mumbo-jumbo nonsense. Buy this DVD and start doing the exercises and perhaps you'll find, as I did that the results are so shocking as to seem miraculous.

Personally, I have more weight to lose, and a few more changes to make - but now I believe that it can be not only possible, but also fun. I'm totally sold on this kundalini stuff, and expect this 'weirdness' to be a positive part of my life from now on.

Definitely recommended!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Has Helped My Anxieties and Panic Attacks Enormously!, 25 Mar 2012
I've been doing this DVD nearly every day for about 4 weeks now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an obsessive exerciser and I think I actually bought the DVD about 4 years ago so it's really not as good as it sounds! I did used to go to a yoga class once a week and wanted to go back again but couldn't really afford to and remembered I had this and thought I'd give it a shot, what a worthwhile effort!

I did it once and already felt very calm and relaxed afterwards, which was nice, though I wasn't sure if the exercises were going to be tough enough and effective enough to tone my body and help my mind but I was so very wrong!

After only a week, I was hooked on doing the DVD every day (I try to take one day off from it a week, just to let my body recover from anything it needs to recover from but I don't feel like it's suffering or in any pain) and I happily get up at half passed five in the morning, just so I can do it. After that short amount of time I really felt more mellow and the difference during the day at work was phenomenal - I felt so much more energised, especially considering I woke up so early, as long as I started the day with the yoga, I didn't spend the afternoon yawning constantly or feeling like I needed to slide under my desk for a nap, pretty much regardless of when I went to bed.

Over the next few weeks after that, I've realised that I generally feel calmer and happier during the day and for someone that's suffered for ten years of panic attacks and anxiety, I really hadn't felt like that for no reason in quite a while (not that I realised I hadn't felt like that but suddenly I was just sitting at work or making dinner and I'd be smiling and humming without even knowing why!).

Now to add to this, I seemed to be feeling more stable, emotionally and courageous because after ten years of travel anxiety and not even getting on to a plane since 2001/2002, last Friday I booked myself onto a flying lesson on a two seater plane and last Sunday off I went for an hour in the skies! I'm not saying there was no anxiety as there was a little (which I think anybody would feel) but it wasn't gut-wrenching nausea and my stomach wasn't in knots and I really think doing this DVD every day is the reason for that because nothing has made me feel courageous enough since I got the anxieties, to actually take the final step and get on a plane, never mind a tiny two-seater!

I realise that the effects of doing the Kundalini yoga will be subjective to everybody but in under a month my anxieties feel immeasurably better and I feel so grateful for having just tried doing this DVD a couple of times, otherwise I really don't know what would have got me to the very happy place I'm at now. If anyone reading this has any anxieties or stesses that they've had a hard time with, I'd urge you just to give it a go, aside from a few quid, you've got nothing to lose.

Body-wise, I'm definitely stronger and more toned which to me is just an icing on the cake after the wonderful benefits to my mental health!

Update 21/08/2013:

I had to give a little update because not only did the DVD prompt all those positive effects but it officially started a huge change in my life. After enjoying doing a nearly daily practice of the DVD last year, at the beginning of this year I signed up to yoga teacher training and have recently become a qualified yoga teacher.

A lot of the justification I had for doing the training was that if that simple, comparatively easy DVD could make such a difference to my life then I want to see if I can do the same for other people. I truly believe that had I not started doing the DVD back in 2012, that my life would be following a different path now and I'm truly grateful for every benefit I took from it and the sense of motivation and purpose it gave me. I'm not saying that this will happen for everybody but I am saying that it's worth seeing what benefits you can take from it, I promise you won't regret it!

Oh and a little P.S. part of the training was in Spain and I had nearly zero issues with the travel anxieties that had plagued me for so long when I flew over there and back - in fact I absolutely loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Consciousness expanding yoga, 11 Jan 2008
This is a really well done DVD. Maya explains what you can get out of Kundalini Yoga and all the exercises are explained so you know what your doing and why. There are a few simple mantras but they they are translated so so you know what they mean. This is nothing like most Yoga practised in the west and Mayas music is so relaxing. Most of your exercises will be done sat down and involve movement and breathing and they can be done by a beginner or experienced person. Maya encourages you through the session which is very empowering. During and after the session I feel energised and clear, it feels nothing like Hatha Yoga and I've definitely experienced altered states of awareness. If you are looking for Yoga which hasn't had the spiritual aspect torn out, something that will work your mind, body and spirit then you really should try this.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Feel Soooooooo Good!!!, 20 Aug 2008
I received this yesterday, with several other products I was "led" to, to maintain that great feeling we have when we return from our holiday. I used this first thing this morning and WOW- it's amazing! I am not a keep fit/ exercise person and gave up my gym membership as I had run out of excuses as to why I couldn't go each day!!! But this was fantastic, and I feel revitalised from head to toe and beyond.... it's difficult to describe...I tingle all over and have so much energy, I feel excited, I want to dance and sing- all that and I haven't even had a drink LOL. The music is just beautiful and magical, Maya is a pleasure to listen to and watch- so inspirational... if you feel you need that "lift", if you want to feel fantastic, and happy and totally at peace and at one with yourself and everything around you- buy this DVD- you won't regret it, and you even get an accompanying CD of the music she uses- which is her own work. I cannot recommend enough! Enjoy! xx

4 MONTHS ON
As you can see, I wrote a review 4 months ago after the first time I used this product, raving about how great it was. The review was entitled- "I feel soooo good".
Well 4 months on, and I cannot stress how much I so stand by that!
IT HAS CHANGED MY LIFE! and the lives of those closest to me.
Apart from the fact that my body looks better than it ever has done- I am so toned, slim and fit, (but that is just the icing on the cake).
Apart from the fact that it has cured ailments which top consultants couldn't do anythnig about. I was a sufferer of severe migraines and a patient at the Royal Hospital of Nuerology in Holborn- they gave me brain scans because it was so bad. All my life I have lived on lactalose, sypositories, senacotte etc, as I have always had severe constipation- not going for weeks sometimes. Although having a great life, I constantly felt tired and snappy, and quite often nauseous. I was plagued with aches and pains including terrible back problems, which I put down to being 40+ and having had 3 kids.
After doing this DVD once, I instanly felt an improvment in health, but I soon got hooked and found I HAD to do it almost daily- the result?
I healthily clear my sysem about twice a day. I don't get so much as a twinge of a headache. All aches and pains GONE! and I can do gymnastics I haven't neen able to do for over 20 years! I have so much energy and vitality. I feel happy and serene all the time, and project this to all those around me who are open to recieve it and I look like my 18 year old son's older sister!!! My body is PERFECT!
All in 4 months!
But I do alternate it with her new 3 DVD box set on the first 3 (base), chakras. I have also through this, educated myself more about kundalini, chakra balancing and general self healing.
I FEEL FANTASTIC! and my husband thinks it is wonderful and encourages me all the way.
All my friends are now doing it too and loving it and finding it really helps them with difficulies in their lives.
I recently met Maya at the Yoga exhibition- and she is just as wonderful, inspiring and humble in the flesh.
She comes across as so normal and doesn't make you feel inferior, especially if you are a beginner, like some of these classes do.
So what are you waiting for???!
Open your heart, soul, mind and body to this wonderful experience!

8th June 2009- 5 months on, over 9 months since i started this.

OK, so I still have the perfect body, glowing health and happiness, but have only recently come to understand that these benefits are only secondry to the real purpose of Kundalini, and all the wonderful things I wrote about previously are merely side effects of this wonderful gift.
I never understood before the reason or meaning of when Maya tells you to "sit cross legged, with your index finger touching your thumb, and meditate, and you will recieve the inner knowledge" I just went along with it because I enjoyed the class....I'm not sure I can really describe it now actually, but I am now starting to recieve and understand the inner knowledge and wisdom which we probably already posess. I don't want to sound like some crank or wierdo, because I am one of the most logical and practical people I know, but recently, I have just known and realised "things" and have not really understood where the information came from- I'm still not sure I do!!!LOL!
All I can say is my life gets better and better, and I feel happier and healthier and wiser with each day. Physically, my body has never looked so good- I'm 43 with 3 kids, am 5ft 9, and a slim, toned size 8. I still have not popped a pill or any medicine since before I stared this, and even if I feel my body is fighting some kind of illness, whereas before after a few days, it would turn into a full blown cold or virus, now I get a tingling in the throat, feel a bit sleepy and after a couple of days, it's gone! I haven't actually been ill since I started this. My periods, which were starting to be horrible, (like in your teens), are now fine again.
Even when bad things happen in my life now, (which isn't often), it doesn't affect me in the way it would before and I can handle pain in a much more posative way..
I really do wish everyone would give this a go, I really think people would be a lot happier in their lives..find a contentment and inner peace, and although this is a bold statement and an old cliche- maybe the world would truly start to be a better place...
I now have all her DVDs and alternate them. She has now released all 7 chakras as well as this detox dvd. she has 2 music Cds, which I listen to everyday while I work.
I have become more creative and write, draw and design- just for my own pleasure really. But I.m about to take up another language, and well, there's just so much I want to do....
What I would say is enjoy the experience and don't push it, don't force it or have any expectations- just have fun with it...all these good things will come to you in time- it has taken me 9 months of doing it almost daily, and reading lots of books to get where I am, but I have come to understand that it's an infinate journey of learning, (and enjoyment along the whole way)!
It has brought me to the conclusion that we are here to live, love, learn and enjoy! And to live a good, healthy and productive life, in humility, grace and with a sense of humour!
love and blessings to all
x
Thank you Maya and thank you Yogi Bhajhan

Friday 5th March 2010

Just felt I should update again.
All is as before and better....I have now attened one of Mayas workshops and am about to attend another- it was an amazing experiance- doing yoga with Maya live is even more exhilerating! Her energy, kindness and passion are just simply contagous! So much so that it has prompted me to enroll on the kundalini teacher training course with Karam Kriya School, who Maya trained with.
I find it hard to express just how much this wonderful gift of kundalini yoga has enriched my life and brought me pure peace, calm and joy- a bliss that is beyond words.....
Just a couple of warnings though. Pleae do not underestimate the power you are working with...there will be changes in your life....for example do not forget that you are clearing all unwanted toxins and blockages, so be prepared that in re-opening some chanels you may find parts of your body you thought long dead may "come back to life"...for example, if you have finished having children, please do make sure you take proper precautions against getting pregnant...do not take for granted that you cannot get pregnant because your fertility has been low for years etc. Also, as you continue with this journey, you will find that your priorities and values may chnage and some people who you thought of as dear friends may find it difficult to relate to you anymore and some relationships may drift, while others become stronger. For me personally, I found that I no longer want to down as many glasses of wine as I can and dance on a tabletop! Or listen to gossip and negative conversation. I only want to be in posative company these days and you may be surprised by how many negative people surround you- doing kundalini yoga really reveals this to you. I call these warnings, but actually they are just changes for your betterment. What I have found is that the relationships that count most, (my husband, kids, and like minded family and friends), have gone from strength to strenth. Also, you may find that you no longer can process some of the foods and drinks that you have been used to doing for years, (don't worry, it only seems to be the stuff that's bad for you!!LOL), you just find that you don't fancy some things anymore, or want less of it.
And just a little tip which helps me enjoy my class even more- I always take a lovely bath using my best scented oils and washes before a class. (I do not apply any lotions or deoderatnts after as these will inhibit persperation and clearing toxins). I light my favourite scented candle, swith off all phones, lock the door- and it just feels like coming home :).
Keep up! You won't regret it!
Much love and light to all
xx

5.0 out of 5 stars I actually look forward to this!, 29 Nov 2012
I am a single mother of 2 and I have sickle cell anaemia, an inherited blood disorder that often causes me to be in crippling pain for days at a time. I love going for long meditative walks when I'm strong enough, but the cold can be very discouraging as it can bring about painful crisis. I bought an exercise bike to eliminate the excuse of cold weather, and while I did use it, over the past couple of months it has gradually become a glorified clothes horse and is, as I write being used to dry my bath towel. I bought this DVD on recommendation by a friend, and was further assured of how good it is by the reviews of others here before me. Even so, I still didn't take it out of its packaging til about 3 weeks later and even then, the first time I put it in to my DVD player it was just to be able to tell my friend I'd 'followed' it. Well, it was hard not to take part and before I knew it I was doing the whole thing on my bed. I was unable to complete some of the exercises, but I'd say I got through about 85% of it. I got so into it, that I soon found myself on the floor in my room on all fours in I think what is called kat-kow position?! I actually look forward to exercising now. This is coming from someone who has had a pilates DVD sat by my bedside for the past 6 months gathering dust (I also have a Barbara Curry yoga DVD that has sat firmly on the shelf for the past 4/5 years). If I had only known of this DVD before purchasing my bike, I'd have a lot more space in my room and a bit more money in the bank.

The thing about sickle cell is the limited ability of the red blood cells to mobilise oxygen throughout the body, so this kind of yoga is brilliant, as much of the focus is the breath and the exercises are gentle enough to strengthen and tone without crisis being an outcome. Thus far I'm on week four and I do Maya's DVD 3-4 times a week, but I now want to try adding a couple more days where I just do the warm up. I don't really have weight to lose, so I can't comment on that, but what is important is that I am dedicating time to my personal self developement. What I can say is, that I have much more energy and climbing the stairs no long has my legs screaming for mercy while I fight to get my breath back.

Spirituality is an important aspect of my life; I had been wanting to strenghten my body and also give more focus to meditation and this covers both of those needs as well as nurtures my soul. Maya is a wonderful teacher, whose guidance is descriptive enough to follow with your eyes closed and yet doesn't drown the experience with constant talking. I love how her words of encouragement come at the right time and the reminders to 'smile' really make this the best ever exercise DVD I've ever owned. I now make a ritual of it by lighting a candle, burning incense and having some of my crystals in close proximity. I'd recommend anyone to buy and follow this DVD not just for the sake of adding a little more movement to your life, but because YOU are WORTH all the benefits that come with the journey it takes you on.

------ Update ------

Sooooo it's now about a year and 3months later and I've come back to update my review. There are other reviewers who commented on how one's fertility could be resurrected... well my reason for taking so long to write this is because a month after my initial review I fell pregnant! After having my last child 13 years ago, I was too damn stunned to do anything more than muddle through the first 3 months in a daze. I have since given birth, and for how difficult both the pregnancy and labour were, I was unable to continue with any form of exercise at all. After the birth of my son by last minute cesarean, I could barely get out of bed let alone walk anywhere and I fell into a depression. Fortunately, although I took such a big time out, my will was strong enough to have me finally put my foot down to stop myself falling any deeper into my personal abyss.

I decided to get my life back on track and start exercising again, but my health had deteriorated to the point of no longer being able to take a walk around my house let alone down the street. Everything I tried made me feel like more of a failure until I remembered I owned this DVD! Why on earth I was trying to reinvent the wheel by looking for other forms of exercise, I really do not know, but I am glad that I came back to my senses eventually. Doing it again for the first time made me cry for how much my body needed this, and also for the fact I was actually able to complete it. I finally felt like I had accomplished something for me. My husband who had been over-protective about my trying so hard to get back into exercise, actually encourages me with this as he knows it is gentle and won't have me do myself an injury by ripping my stitches or provoking a sickle cell pain episode. I'm looking forward to losing my baby belly without feeling like I'm doing more harm than good, but more importantly, I feel like I have found 'me' again. I cannot recommend this DVD highly enough, but for any women out there who do not want any more children, please do take added precaution. I thought my baby making days were over, but was gravely mistaken.

Obviously as with any course of exercise, the dedication to embark on the journey to fitness starts with you, but Maya's routine and pleasant disposition (in my opinion) make this yoga DVD a cut above the rest. Once you get started, the short and long term benefits are priceless. You owe yourself the opportunity to become a better you, and with dedication and minimal effort, this DVD will help get you there.

5.0 out of 5 stars **simple movements with spiritually euphoric results**, 29 April 2008
Karen (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This is my first experience of Kundalini yoga, I've tried other types of yoga but this is the only one that i follow now.
During the dvd i felt a strange sensation of bubbles bursting all over my face and shoulders ((I'm told this is stress being released from the body)). After the dvd had finished i felt a strange almost spiritual euphoria but peacefulness at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive 20 minute warm up, 1 May 2010
S. Ness "Sue Ness" (Newcastle uk) - See all my reviews
I cannot say how wonderful this is. I am 56 and although I walked 2 miles to work and back every day (4),was physically active at work, walked as recreation and ate healthily the weight was steadily increasing then I broke my ankle last summer and the weight just piled on. Enter this Maya Fiennes dvd which I bought having trauled through the yoga section in Amazon looking for another yoga dvd. The reviews inspired me so I bought it and now can't live without doing the 'warm up' daily which is roughly 20 minutes long. My ankle was a problem as I couldn't sit in 'easy pose' so I sat on a low table or stool and used the edge of the table instead of holding my ankle (so the reviewer who critisised it because of easy pose being too difficult just needs to be creative!) Eventually I could sit in 'easy pose' for one warm up exercise then two and now I can do the lot sometimes propping a cushion under my bum. Imagine my delight when the weight started to come off even though I was unable to walk far and doing a bit of comfort eating! My appetite has changed and I can eat more raw food which never agreed with me before and my energy level is better. This dvd is transforming - it's slow and subtle but hang in there. I have bought copies for other people and people at work have been inspired to buy it. At the price it is now what are you waiting for. I have gone on to buy her book and her chakra sets and they are the best presents I have ever given myself. Don't buy it if you want to stay the way you are!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best DVD Stress Work Out, 14 July 2008
Having watched Maya on Sky TV, I bought the DVD for stress and detox. This is the best ever stress detox DVD I have purchased. Very relaxing well spoken and very clear, guidance at all times explains each movements you could do this with your eyes closed, the music is out of this world, very moving and very enjoyable too. Strenghts your body and clears your mind of any stress. If maya has her own yoga dvd i would purchase. The back ground is in white. make sure you do this dvd after 3 hours of eating as you will feel sick if done on full stomach like i did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 3 Nov 2008
My doctor told me to start with yoga and pilates to increase my breathing (for some reason I breathe as little as a mouse!) and to strenghten the mussles in my spine. I have troubles with my back and shoulders and am also suffering from stress problems, so this DVD couldn't have been of more use to me. I feel such a transformation! My stressproblems are so much better and my headaches, back pians and shoulder pains are almost completely gone. I just can't believe it. This DVD made such a huge impact on me that it feels hard to tell people about it, I'm afraid they might think I've started to believe in hocus pocus! Even though I've bought this DVD to two of my friends, and the changes it has done to their lives... I just can't believe it. It's highly recommended. I wish I had had this one years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars feeling great!, 20 Oct 2008
I must admit that before buying it I read the reviews and thought to myself : either Maya has a lot of friends who love her enough to write great reviews or she is really great. I came to the conclusion that she is really great. Her DVD is really easy to follow. She gives you indications about the postures without been too talkative, wich allows you to really concentrate. After the session, you feel relaxed and very nice. The exercises are easy and not too demanding which, in my case, allows me to do them, even after a day of work.
I don't know if it's the kundalini yoga opening my shakras or only the fact that doing a little of exercise everyday makes you happier, the fact is that I have been feeling really GREAT since I bought this DVD and I only have one thing to say: thank you Maya and I am sorry I put your seriousness in doubt!
Sat Nam!