5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, 22 April 2007
John D. Storer "xlo58" (Boston) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Thief and The Heartbreaker (Audio CD)
I purchased this album on the strength of hearing "Lucy Rider" on a freebie CD that came with a magazine. The same magazine contained a glowing review of this either very short album or very long EP - it clocks in at just over 27 minutes.

The review was totally justified, and then some. This is, quite simply, one of the best collection of songs that I've heard this year. Extremely reminiscent of Neil Young & Crazy Horse (the vocalist must have grown up in Mr Young's house or something), the CD is alive with the sound of crashing guitars and lyrics you can sing along to in the car. Highly recommended. The best thing I've heard this year (and I've heard most!)

5.0 out of 5 stars ground breaking!, 21 Nov 2007
Ms. C. Jones (newcastle, united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Thief and The Heartbreaker (Audio CD)
i first noticed this album when buying a rilo kiley cd, it was on the recommendations. boy am i glad i had a listen to the sample on here!
i purchased it instantly. its only 7 songs but well worth a listen. very country rock based and i agree with a few people, ryan adams almost echoes this album, especially 'lucy rider' very much like a missing track off ryan adams gold album. 'the devils all you ever had' is spine tingling and you can sink into the lyrics instantly. i also hear a few sounds along the lines of my morning jacket. if you like my norning jacket or ryan adams you must buy this album!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Younger Neil?, 5 Jun 2007
B. Millar (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Thief and The Heartbreaker (Audio CD)
Finally bought this album after listening to "Lucy Rider" for the past couple of months and have to say it's quality! the comparisons to Neil Young are spot. Love the twangy guitar sounds which are present throughout the seven tracks. One little gripe...It's too short, can't wait to hear more from these guys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mindblowing album, 27 April 2007
This review is from: The Thief and The Heartbreaker (Audio CD)
Picked this album up at a Scott Matthews gig in Cambridge - they were playing before him.

It's probably my favourite album of the past couple years (big call!), but well deserved. Kinda reminds me of Kings of Leon, even a bit of Neil Young when he went all rock'n'roll.

It's just genius. What a talent. What a voice!

If anything, I wish there were more songs on this and hope to see some more material soon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Leicester Bangs Review (2007):, 29 Dec 2010
Leicester Bangs "words-R-us" (Leicester, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Thief and The Heartbreaker (Audio CD)
Alberta Cross - The Thief & The Heartbreaker (Fiction)
London-based Alberta Cross do everything right on their debut, except seven tracks in less than half an hour just isn't enough. Permanent members and songwriters Petter Ericson Stakee and Terry Wolfers mix up sepia-tinged Californian folk, country rock and blues influences like it's the most natural thing in the world, write the songs to match and should be snuggling up either side of Joni Mitchell at night. Fortunately, they manage to pull it off with a contemporary feel. Like they say, the result is a sound that is inspired by Laurel Canyon circa 1969 but shaped by East London 2007. Looking forward to seeing them at Summer Sundae. 8/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better live., 26 Jun 2009
I went to see Dave Matthews Band at Brixton last night (25th June 09) and these guys were the warm up. During the first song, no-one was listening and by the end of the set, the whole of Brixton Academy was listening, nodding their heads and a few people knowingly looking at each other all thinking the same thing. These guys are something special. This cd is the next best thing to live music and is very special too. Neil Young, Ryan Adams, Radiohead and The Killers all in one band.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 1 Dec 2009
Mr. A. Ashcroft "asma11" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
I loved their previous EP - quite country and folk influenced. I bought this blind on the back of those few songs and initially I was disappointed. The style has changed significantly - much more rock stylings and much less country. After a few listens this grew on me - the melodies which I loves are still there just hidden deeper within the wall of noise.

Overall pretty good but not great. Not a patch on their previous recordings - check it out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album of all time for me, 29 Oct 2012
WARREN (Greve in Chianti, (FI) Italy) - See all my reviews
Been meaning to write this for a long time, especially since Alberta Cross haven't yet hit the big time they deserve, so I'd like to add another 5 star review, for whatever my small contribution can do.
I bought this CD by chance, based on a couple of the reviews listed above this one. It's great to just try out people you've never heard of once in a while.
For some reason people still insist on calling it an EP when it patently isn't, which may have influenced sales a bit. It's an LP with seven - all good - songs on it, the last of which (sublime!) is over 6 minutes long and the opening track is nearly 5 minutes long.
I put this album in my CD player and it never left it for over 6 months continuous playing.

The Thief and the Heartbreaker starts with some totally simple, stripped down drumming, and throughout the first track the drumming remains at elementary level. Then some rich guitar chords start and I think hmmm... sounds like Pink Floyd (I was wrong!) and then he starts singing.
My first reaction was "I'm not gonna like this voice": it's high-pitched, rather weak sounding. But the less-is-more drumming, along with the guitar, had already started to take hold of me. Then as the song goes on that voice starts to grab you somewhere important and you realise that it's remarkably expressive.

I read somewhere about Alberta Cross that the words don't matter and I have to agree, not because they're bad but simply because well... they don't matter. You just catch a phrase or two here and there like "Lucy Rider" and they seem just right.

In another review someone bandied the word "genius" about and I have to agree. There are some records where you just think that every note falls in exactly the right place, and this is one of them. You see it too in some of the details, like the incredibly long pauses in some of the tracks which probably made the record company executives nervous.

I love it because there is little production work added to the basic music and yet the guitar produces a rich, full sound. Often their music repeats a theme regularly but you never get bored of it, you just want it to go on and on.
I've heard that they're great live and I can believe it because you're listening to basic instruments with little else added, yet the sound is very rich.

I've read various efforts to pigeonhole them, but they're fairly unique. His voice sounds a bit like Neil Young, yes, and there's something slightly country and very american in the way he uses his voice. They're all about the rich guitar and that very expressive voice. He really plays a mean guitar and I'd give anything to see them live.

This is my favourite album, and I've bought a lot of albums in my time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice mini album, 27 Jun 2011
Stan FREDO (BORDEAUX, Aquitaine, France) - See all my reviews
It sounds like a cross between 'Rattle And Hum' era U2 and 'OK Computer' era Radiohead. Around 28 minutes of good music, then.

5.0 out of 5 stars twangle country rock, 27 May 2007
This review is from: The Thief and The Heartbreaker (Audio CD)
like another reviewer i got this on the strengh of the track lucy rider,

free on compilation cd.

this is an ep. 27 mins long.

like neil young.

very, very good.

twangle country rock.

if you like good music and are disappointed by the hype that surround most so called new talents, buy this.

all 7 songs are good.

glad they did not pad it out to an lp as there are no filler trascks here.

The Thief and The Heartbreaker
The Thief and The Heartbreaker by Alberta Cross (Audio CD - 2007)