4.0 out of 5 stars Light at the end of the tunnel? Hopefully.
Published on 17 Jun 2007 by Robert Thornsby

3.0 out of 5 stars Light at the end of the World, turned down
Sorry to say but this Erasure album is a bit of a LET DOWN, unless you went to the live show. Three good tracks on this album, thats all i can say, a lot better than loveboat and union street, but thats it, come on Vince & Andy we know you can do better,The Innocents & Erasure good albums more like that please, still i will put in in my cd pile with all the other Erasure,...
Published on 14 Feb 2008 by stato

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Light at the end of the tunnel? Hopefully., 17 Jun 2007
Robert Thornsby (Fort Worth, Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Light At The End Of The World (Audio CD)
That is what I believe the album should have been called. Erasure have been ploughing away now for over twenty years with their distinctive electronic sound. Back in 1990 this album would have hit number one. In 2007 it hit 29 and blew out of the charts. This was a bit of a indication to how well new single Sunday Girl would do and low and behold it proved to be the case. The second single Sunday Girl from the new album hit 33 and will blow out as quick as it arrived. The radio version though didn't do the song justice. A shame really as this album is very good, not excellent, but very good. From opening track Sunday Girl through to track 6 is bubbling, poppy, catchy synth brilliance which was reminiscent of that late 80's early 90's Erasure dance music that had the midas touch. Apart from track seven, How My Eyes Adore You, which doesn't have any affect on me whatsover, we are treated to a comfortable, laid back Erasure with a well polished and mature sound. The question remains whether they are commercially successful again but I really don't they Vince and Andy care that much nowadays. After all they've gone and bought the t-shirt several times already. Sell out tours in the UK and US suggest they do and I admire them in the fact that they keep going, producing what they want to produce rather than what would be marketable. Just how many bands today will be around doing that like Erasure have been doing for 22 years. This is a good album, buy it, don't burn it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vince & Andy know what music's all about!, 31 May 2007
Mr. D. R. J. Suttle "nomad" (Northamptonshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Light At The End Of The World (Audio CD)
When an album sends shivers up your spine and makes you want to listen to it all over again it must be good! "Sunday Girl" is a superb catchy opener with the chorus reminding me of Abba's "Under Attack". "I Could Fall In Love With You" was a great single and should have recieved radio airplay earlier than it got. Vince & Andy have put together another strong album where really any of it's tracks could make potential singles, for example.. "Storm In A Teacup" "Fly Away" and "Glass Angel"

If your a fan I'm assuming you've already heard it by now, if not don't miss out on an album by one of the finest pop duo's to come out of the 80's and still going strong!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Brilliant,Not Flawed.....Just Erasure, 21 Sep 2007
This review is from: Light At The End Of The World (Audio CD)
I think this is a good album,not great,but lets face it anything is better than "Union Street" (sorry but I'm not into country style acoustic albums). That being said there is a lot to keep the many devoted Erasure fans out there happy for another year or two. If you're reading this you've either already bought it or have added it to your cart/wishlist. There is also a limited edition with deluxe packaging and two bonus tracks available which is the edition I own. Casual fans will not miss the extra tracks,but I had to have them. The design of the special edition case is also quite pleasing to the eye. Now onto the album.

Treats for me include "Darlene","How My Eyes Adore You" and the sublime "Fly Away". I had already heard "I Could Fall In Love With You" before the album came out and thought it was a good sign.There is more to this album than the obvious singles. Is it "Just my imagination rolling over the past...." or are Vince & Andy giving Blondie an homage on "Sunday Girl"? It does have a very similar sound to the aforementioned's track of the same name...I know they are big fans of Deborah! The album is quite a grower and gets better with every listen (I've had about ten plays as of writing this) but could it be possible that the hardcore fans such as the ones dancing in the aisles on "The Road To Nashville" concert dvd want more than the familiar? Lighten up! There are only so many sounds out there and Vince is a Techno pioneer,why should an Erasure album not have 90's sounds on it (see some of the previous reviews)? After all they were a big part of the 90's in my world. I for one,am happy with the return of uptempo and upbeat melodies after the moody and melancholic "Nightbird". The birth of Vince's baby has clearly had an effect on his melodies. Unlike "Nightbird" this release was recorded and produced by Vince and Andy,together,in a hotel room in Maine,USA.not two seperate studios on other sides of the globe. A true collaboartion and the sound IS Erasure.

Take a dash of "Wild!",a sprinkle of "Chorus" and "I Say,I Say,I Say", add a touch of "Cowboy" put them all into a blender with the "Erasure" album and you get "Light At The End Of The World". It's not blinding but you might need your sunglasses.

4.0 out of 5 stars really good, 27 Oct 2011
Amazon Customer (Northern Ireland (UK)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Light At The End Of The World (Audio CD)
This album is one of the best I've heard. I'm not a "fan" of erasure but I do like a lot of what they have done.
I'm stuck on the first 6 songs of the album which tell a definite modus operandi of Vince and Andy's life at the moment of recording.
I haven't really listened to the other songs because I keep replayiing the first 6 which are bouncy and emotive and have a lovely quality to them.
Musically; it's just so sweet and sour and jaunty but it isn't disposable pop by any means. These synth sounds are ushered into pathos and loneliness and frustration of being a gay man looking for that emotional attachment and connection with another. You can sense Andy's frustration and joy and his definite hunger for more of what life and love have to offer.
Vince and Andy are the most authentic electronic duo. They have "blue grassed" their electronic music and spunky vocals into their lives in a meaningful and touching honesty of experience of being human.
Erasure have that touch of life streaming into their albums and it is never remote and distant. You can take this album and if you don't like it - well, at least it's honest and from the heart. And it shows.
Artists comfortable with who they are and daring to express life and love as it is does indeed make a great album and this is one. So far.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light to end all worlds, 4 Oct 2007
Mr. I. Clapson (Weston Super Mare, Somerset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Light At The End Of The World (Audio CD)
Another classic. Whilst many reviewers bemoan the band's lack of airplay, I bask in the knowledge that I enjoy access to some of the world's best music with a select few!
Light... is an absorbing album that has demanded repeated play since it's release. Beyond the obvious singles at the beginning, this album reflects many moods and emotions as the poetry of Andy's pen is taken to zeniths through many sublime synth' layers.
Today my ultimate track is "When a lover leaves you", but this is sure to change as I explore this album further.
I've just bought Storm Chaser, a definate must for anyone who's had Light... on repeat in their CD player for 4 months! I look forward to dancing the night away to the fabulous remixes next time I'm clubbing, or maybe not (not much demand for Erasure in Bristol, perhaps I should dance in Brighton!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Light at the End of the World -Erasure, 11 July 2007
Mr. I. Clapson (Weston Super Mare, Somerset) - See all my reviews
Another Vince Clarke masterclass in layering and production. Simple ditty's become symphonies in the hands of this electro guru. Couple this with the poetic pourings from Andy Bell's pen and you have the ingredients for sublime sound.
This CD has been on constant replay in my car for the past month and I'm not fed up yet (sad, I know!) Like a good painting, it gets better and better, beneath the (sometimes plasticy) surface are layers and layers of subsidery melodies that keep you discovering with each listen. I would have preferred a bit more depth in places (sorry lads, you still haven't topped 'erasure'-[95]) but this album is definately a worthy addition to your collection.
I love the corny 'glad to be gay' Sucker for Love, makes me smile every time! Fly away, Golden Heart and When a Lover Leaves You had the potential to take this album to a 1995 style zenith, but for a little more effort (Vince!). This album though finds it's strength in ditty's such as Sunday Girl, I Could fall in Love with you and the aforementioned Sucker (apt abbreviation!) These should sould great live, see you in Bristol.
So then, a great laugh, perhaps we can be sensible next time lads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Illuminating, 19 May 2009
This review is from: Light At The End Of The World (Audio CD)
Released during Erasure's period away from the charts, this is a gem of an album, with several standout tracks - 'Sunday Girl', 'I Could Fall in Love With You', and 'Storm in a Teacup' being my three favourites. Andy's bittersweet lyrics and Vince's hypnotic beats are all present and correct; if this had been made a decade earlier it would surely have gone platinum.

5.0 out of 5 stars DOESNT THAT SOUND A BIT LIKE....?, 30 May 2007
Mr. Nathan Armstrong - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Light At The End Of The World (Audio CD)
Following the absolute pearl of an album that was "nightbird" was gonna be hard...but this is just as good! it does have the sound and feel of a lot of the early erasure albums...in fact as you listen to each track you hear little bits that remind you of other great tracks and you end up thinking doesnt that sound a bit like... but then its gone and you never quite remember what track it was. its a wonderful listening experience with the exception of "sunday girl" the next single which i think sounds like a left over from andys solo album and "sucker for love" which is a bit too frantic...however both tracks are still good!

the first single "i could fall in love with you" has a similar feel to the "nighbird" album and should have done a lot better but it didnt get much airplay..which is a shame!

standout tracks for me are "storm in a teacup" "fly away""darlene" and the beautiful bittersweet "when a lover leaves you" which is classic lost love done as only erasure do...(p.s. when it starts i thought it was "no limits" by 2 unlimited but it didnt last long!

this album will be a joy to all who have followed erasure for the last twenty years and to the ones who they lost along the way...its a big welcome back!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Erasure back at their best! A massive grower!!, 22 Nov 2008
This album is definatley a grower, i didnt like it at all for the first couple of listens. it sat on my shelf for a while after that, but when i gave it another shot i fell in love with it. this album is ACE!!

Erasure never fail to hit the spot, so to call it a return to form is unfair, but this is brilliant. Just as Nightbird was a 5* album, so is this, however with a very different feel. where as Nightbird was mellow and reflective, this is dancy and upbeat. I love it, some of the songs on here are up there with the best Erasure ever! Buy it now, and be patient with it and i gurantee you'll love it too

THIS ALBUM IS SUPERB!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars And they just keep getting better, 22 May 2007
This review is from: Light At The End Of The World (Audio CD)
Wow, what a follow up to Nightbird. Nightbird was absolutely brilliant (see my review) but this album possibly just seems that bit better.

Would definately agree with Stephen Moss's view that their song writing and music has improved over the past few years. Hope it continues to do so for the next 20 years!!

Sunday Girl is great album opener. something which is common with most Erasure albums, they all seem to follow a particular pattern. They start with a great opener and the mood/tempo rises and falls, then rises again before a sombre/mellow but somewhat uplifting final track. (saying that, the limited edition with 12 tracks has a more uptempo finish).

Lyrically, track 5 (Fly Away) is my fave from this album, but the whole album is pure brilliance!!!!

Something else all Erasure albums have in common is that it is so easy to listen to all their albums through headphones and lose yourself within the layers of synth magic and unmatched vocals.

I've said this before but it is a shame that Erasure do not reach higher chart positions. it could be radio has a part to play in this. Almost all radio stations these days insist on playing the repetitive crap that have no imagination. Andy Bell has the best vocals ever and Vince is just a pure genius! Surely a proven group like Erasure who have been around for over 20 years now should be gracing the airwaves over the likes of one hit wonders from TV reality show!!! (something I feel quite strongly about) It's about time Erasure were give a lifetime acheivement award on the likes of the Brits or something. Whilst I don't doubt they can sing, Shane Ward and Co can only dream of having true, honest talent like Andy and Vince.

Can't wait to see them live again in September this year!!!

Well done guys, long may you continue to bless us with such pop brilliance!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Light At The End Of The World
Light At The End Of The World by Erasure (Audio CD - 2007)