5.0 out of 5 stars There's more to Tull than Aqualung & Locomotive Breath!
As a serious fan and a completist collector of Tull I picked up this compilation as a matter of course. However , it strikes me that this particular compilation is the perfect selection for those who only know Jethro Tull for Aqualung or Locomotive Breath, who think that band leader Ian Anderson is really named Jethro Tull or who haven't listened to Tull since the...
Published on 19 April 2007 by RiffRaff

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good tracks but too many sounded the same.
As a fan I enjoyed listening to the music but felt needed a little more drastic editing. Too many tracks sounded the same.
Published 18 months ago by G. Norris

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it can be on a single CD, 18 April 2014
This review is from: The Best Of Acoustic Jethro Tull (Audio CD)
I'm not sure who this is aimed at, but the obvious limitation is the fact a CD only holds 70 minutes or whatever it is of music. When you're talking about a band like Tull who fashioned a 40 minute epic from the incredible acoustic intro to "Thick as a Brick" you know 70 minutes can never be enough! For the newbie to Tull, it seems criminal to hide the rest of TAAB or "Cold Wind to Valhalla" while Ian's strange need to include Christmas songs on every album means something else misses out. The version of "Weathercock" here is also the re-recorded one from the Christmas album which, although alright, isn't a patch on the original so I'm not sure why that was selected for this.
However, overall, what you get is a disc packed full of fantastic classic songs like "Life is a long song", "Skating Away", "Mother Goose" and the hauntingly beautiful "Broadford Bazaar" which almost always brings a tear to my eye even though I was just a tiny nipper in the days of Vivas and Cortinas!
You also get a masterclass in acoustic guitar playing from Ian Anderson who is criminally underrated in this department. Being a lead guitar player myself I know just how hard it is to nail even the opening of "Thick as a Brick" with the timing Ian manages while also singing. The man is a genius, ably backed on these tracks by the rest of the minstrels.
Overall, this album is a great buy for a newbie to Tull who can use these songs to get hooked on music, or for the long-time fan who will appreciate the low price and listen to the CD in the car. Heartily recommended!

Steven A. McKay, author of Wolf's Head (The Forest Lord) and The Wolf and the Raven: 2 (The Forest Lord)

4.0 out of 5 stars What it says on the tin., 13 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Best Of Acoustic Jethro Tull (Audio CD)
Great variety of tracks from various eras. A few surprises and very little in the way of poor choices.
Better than I expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tull exceeds expectations, 7 July 2013
This review is from: The Best Of Acoustic Jethro Tull (Audio CD)
A really excellent collection of Tull songs in what I believe was his best voice his folk voice. The songs follow the bands history. Highlights for me are Mother Goose from Aqualang and Skating Away on the thin ice of a new day but there are surprises too. I used to have the LPs of Tull but this is a good substitute. I would have like to have the Whistler from Songs from the Wood and Moths from Heavy Horses but these are small quibles in what was a really excellent CD I am always listening to it. Well done Ian and the Boys!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars The soft side of Jethro Tull, 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Best Of Acoustic Jethro Tull (Audio CD)
From the begining to the 2000's this album presents a selection of the best "accoustc" song this famous band ever produce, the final result is awesome !

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good tracks but too many sounded the same., 11 Jan 2013
G. Norris (London, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars jethro cd, 1 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Best Of Acoustic Jethro Tull (Audio CD)
excellent cd quick delivery,nicely packaged , my husband loved this album, gets played all the time a really great cd not many accostic tracks though.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very compressed sounds ok on the kindle but when I stream through my hi fi sounds lousy, 10 Dec 2012
I have been a great fan of Jethro Tull for many years and thought it would be nice to get this set. When I downloaded I did not realise that Amazon only provided a lossy compression version which does not sound too bad on the kindle however when I tried to play this through my hi fi the compression was very obvious, dynamics where just not there little detail could be heard.

I will not be getting music this way in the future, CD is so much better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Old Tull - Where's the New ?, 20 Mar 2007
This review is from: The Best Of Acoustic Jethro Tull (Audio CD)
Superb songs - absolutely no problem there but my concern is why issue a compilation of acoustic tracks which ,in the main, are already available within the Jethro Tull back catalogue.

Dear Messrs Anderson and Barre, you cannot improve on perfection so please stop rehashing and orchestrating classic Tull and give us, the fans something we desperately need which is an album of New Material.

With such a legacy of music and with the talent currently available surely the creative wellspring of Jethro Tull hasn't completely dried up just yet?

Final synopsis: Good songs but a somewhat pointless release.

4.0 out of 5 stars Missing tracks., 24 Sep 2007
J. Redmond - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Acoustic Jethro Tull (Audio CD)
Where are Reasons for Waiting, Look into the Sun, Cheap day Return, For Michael Collins, Sossity, Just Trying To Be, Slipstream, Waking Edge, Thinking Around Corners, A Gift of Roses, etc., etc..

And its mean to put a single new track on at the end.

This is ok but I won't buy it - I compliled my own acoustic Tull CD a long time ago.

3.0 out of 5 stars Same Old Songs and Not Even All Jethro...., 18 Mar 2007
Mr. William Mcdonald Orr "BOOGIE WIZ" (Comber, N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Acoustic Jethro Tull (Audio CD)
I know compilations are by there very nature subjective, and that for record company 'best off' read 'best known' but do we really need another album with 'Fat Man', 'Skating Away..', that quiet bit from the start of 'Thick As A Brick', 'Jack In The Green', etc. etc.. And why do songs from Ian Anderson solo albums suddenly fetch up on a Tull compilation? And what defines accoustic? Surely 'Sossity You're A Woman' and 'Moths', to name but two, are more truly accoustic and(here's some subjectivity of my very own) better than some of these selections. I know that it's important for performers to keep their name and work in the public eye, but when I look at this album all I see is an absence of new product and someone with an eye to the next fast buck.

The Best Of Acoustic Jethro Tull
The Best Of Acoustic Jethro Tull by Jethro Tull (Audio CD - 2007)