Platform: Nintendo Wii|Change

on 2 March 2009
The first manhunt game was far from being a complete masterpiece, but as far as treating adults like adults, and giving them some entertainment aimed directly at their demographic, it was a triumph. From the 70's style, nasty, low-budget, droning, synth sounds to the grainy, video nasty, VHS filters that sporadically clouded the screen so effectively and right down to the seedy underworld scenarios and warriors-esque, themed, street gangs: Finally gaming had reached beyond silly sprays of chunky, Mortal Kombat, blood to real adult entertainment. So naturally we all waited with bated breath in anticipation of the next installment. But something unfortunate happened between Manhunt and Manhunt 2, the censors lost, first their minds then, their spines.
I recently watched a comparison online of uncensored footage from this game and the kills from the original manhunt (Don't know why they haven't torn that video down already) and I have to say that the original was much, much nastier than this, and not just in the gore stakes but also in the realism of the story and overall characterisation. Fair enough the game has gone from serious nastiness to fantastical story telling and cartoonish schlock but there in lies my point - why cut this game and not the first? It's ridiculous hand holding nonsense like this that tells me I can't play what I want to, I am not free to indulge in something darker from time to time, which is just insulting and infuriating and we are being treated like idiots.

There are a few people on here saying that the headache inducing red blur that smears the screen every time I dispatch some very bad people doesn't take away from the game, and even adds some style: I'm sorry but there is enough style in here without this gaming equivalent of banging your head on a wall destroying your enjoyment. Secondly sometimes you can see a bit of the kills but the very fact that they are obscured is the total ruination of the entire point of waving your pads around like a fool, and destroys the payoff you get from spending your time hunting the hunters.

What this all boils down to is as follows: when you see imbeciles buying their screeching brats games like Grand Theft Auto and this, because their friends have got it and they're moaning, and these buffoons actually see what their kids are playing, instead of blaming themselves for not reading up on the game before they dumped their kids in front of it, they blame the makers of the games and thus this backwards censorship grows and gets out of control like a cancer, ruining everyone else's enjoyment. Two perfect examples of this madness can be seen on the Sim Animals page here on Amazon, two feckless parents blaming the game and not their bad judgment are featured right there and it's clueless people like them, and the pathetic old men running the BBFC, that are telling us what we can and can't watch and how we are allowed to entertain ourselves. It's ridiculous but they're getting there own way, and if this hollow shell of a game doesn't prove it then perhaps the banning of Natural Born Killers and Childs play back in the day may spring to mind and remind you why these people have to be stopped. Games do not make people do bad things, but these censors are making me want to. Everyone who bought this game, in hope that the cuts may not have been that bad, should receive the game as it was intended, coupled with a letter of apology, and be reimbursed from the pockets of these complete morons.

As far as the game goes, it's mediocre, not a patch on the viceral orignal (mostly down to the problems 'hinted at' above), and has AI that makes my cat look like a member of MENSA, but that's not the point now is it.
66 comments|19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 July 2012
I remember the first time I played manhunt 1. The first time I stuck a plastic bag over an enemies head and suffocated him till all the life drained out of him. I didn't know how to feel about what I had just done. Sure, this guy was my enemy, who would have torn me to shreds, given half a chance. But did he deserve to die like that? I didn't think so, but on the other hand, a plastic bag was the only weapon I had available to me. I had no choice but to take him out in such a fashion. After that moment, I figured that this game was going to be just a tad too dark for me, but reluctantly I decided to press on for at least a little while longer. The extreme violence didn't subside. If anything, it got much worse. Smashing heads off with baseball bats, slicing throats with knifves, even cutting heads clean off with machete's, it was all here and sickingly realistic. The weird thing is, as I got further into the game, I actually started to enjoy myself. God knows I didn't want to enjoy performing such vile acts, but I just couldn't help myself. Stalking my victims in the dark before finishing them off in as gruesome a way as possible became enthralling. Sure, part of me felt uncomfortable with how much enjoyment I was getting from the game, but at least I felt SOMETHING. I never felt these complicated emotions before while playing a game, and I liked that. I completed manhunt and it became one of my favourite horror games so naturally I was excited when I heard there would be a sequel. Why am I telling you all this? Because, even though manhunt 2 has a decent story, some scary moments, and a great atmosphere, the violence has been ridiculously censored, to the point where you'll wonder what's the pointin even playing it anymore. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed manhunt 2, it just didn't make me feel anything. It didn't make me question my morals, why I was doing what I was doing like the first game did. That was the genius of the first manhunt. It made everyone who played it question who they really were and whether they should be enjoying such a game. The sequel doesn't. It's too censored to even be considered violent in my opinion. Surely they could have shown everything in black and white if they had to censor it, the blurry mess we've been given instead is an absolute joke. You might think I sound like a sicko from some of the stuff I have said, but I can assure you that I'm a perfectly normal, kind and happy 24 year old man. I don't play games like manhunt to torture people. I play them because they are a lot more intelligent than they may seem to most people. Games like Bioshock, silent hill 2 and even manhunt are art and I don't believe any art form should be censored, and definitely not to manhunt 2's insane degree. The games industry needs more games that aren't afraid to take risks and push boundaries if the industry is truly going to grow up and be as respected as film and television. TV shows like The Wire, The Sopranos and Breaking Bad have shown what masterpieces can be created when you try to push the envelope. Gaming needs to do the same, but censorship keeps holding the industry back. That's why I'm against a game like manhunt 2 even being released. It's not the developers original vision and if they can't stay true to that, they shouldn't release it at all. I know I've droned on a lot but I think we need to make our voices heard. The games industry needs freedom if it is to grow and it can't while this censorship nonsense continues. If you've played the original manhunt and honestly need more of the same, give this a go. Otherwise just stick with the superior, uncensored original.
on 1 December 2008
Manhunt 2 was always going to be controversial and after playing the first one wondered how this would follow up. Thankfully the game is still fun in a sick sort of way and doesn't disappoint too much.

The idea of the game is to try and escape different areas without being caught by the other gangs. To avoid detection you have to move quietly and lurk in the many shadows and then take the bad guys out one by one.

The executions in the game have been heavily censored now, so all you get is a blury red smudge on the screen as you murder your victim in a violent manner. This doesn't really spoil the game and in a way makes it more stylish.

Graphically, the game doesn't look amazing but does have some nice atmospheric locations. Lights flicker in seedy nightclubs and hospitals and light shines through broken roofs in old lofts. All though the effects aren't amazing, it does fit in with the locations perfectly.
The frame-rate is fairly steady, but does dip now and then creating small stutters in the gameplay.

The sound is amazing and also very atmospheric. Police sirens can be heard in the distance, dogs barking and people screaming.. very unearving!

Controls aren't amazing, but do work. The nunchuck and wiimote can be swung in different directions to cause different attacks and seem ok most of the time, but can feel unresponsive occasionally.

So overal, the game is far from perfect, but VERY fun for adults looking for a more mature game for the Wii. The price is very reasonable now, so buy it before it gets banned again!!
on 12 November 2008
You will have heard about the controversy that this game has provoked, and therefore you will know that it is extremely violent and pretty brutal. Let me tell you that even though the executions have been blurred with a high contrast filter, it does not obscure what is going on. You can see pretty much everything, unless you are a dark place...in which case you cant see anyway. Seriously, the game is VERY violent and VERY bloody. The gameplay is exactly like the original, and works extremely well and the new weapons and characters make the experience more fun. Weapons such as the sledgehammer and pliers are new to this game and the pen which is exclusive to the wii version. The motion controls are excellent. They are very intuitive and when you are required to (during an execution) thrust a crowbar into a neck and yank it up and then hack them on the ground with for good measure, it is disturbing but (gulp) feels freat. The movements are sensitive and work unless you do it wrong. Shooting is easy and reminds me of resident evil 4.
Graphics are ok, not brilliant but pretty good. Everything is through a grainy CCTV filter anyway. The sound is incredible, the blood splatterings and screaming, brilliant. And the hunters say some disturbing and funny things to try and fush you out. My only gripe is the AI of the hunters, as sometimes they will turn around loads or climb up a wall and jump down repeatedly. Not very often though. Overall, a great game for wii.
Have fun, especially with the saw!
on 2 December 2010
The plot in this game is great, depraved and sadistic being the buzz words, but the wii doesn't feel like it's made for this kind of game. Or vice versa. Perhaps if the programmers had spent more time on it the ride would have been smoother.
on 12 March 2012
The game is not as good as the first one I feel but comes pretty close. It is more brutal and there is a lot of violence which I expected. The executions are well thought out and easy to grasp. There are a range of new weapons you can use and it makes good use of the wii controlls. The shooting controlls are also easy to use and suitable for beginners.

The levels are a good length and the story line is gripping. As you progress through the game it does become more challenging. There are a few levels that are similar to the first one but also alot of new things have been added.

It is easy to follow and a great game if you were a fan of Manhunt 1.

The only negative I have about the game is the last level, I feel compared to some the the earlier levels it is not as challenging and was a little suprised when I completed it so easily.

Overall its brilliant value for money and fun to play.
on 2 March 2010
Where to begin with this game.
1st of all it is a great stress reliever. After a hard day in work there is nothing better than murdering some nasty people with various items and in many different ways.........
2nd there are some good puzzles to get those grey cells working
3rd its great fun, but not for all the family. (especially when you find a plastic bag and sneak up on some unsuspecting soul......)
4th some ingenious uses of random objects to great affect.
The only down side to this game is that it can be completed easily in 1 sitting as it is not the longest game. But you'll want to go back and try some of the levels again and try out the weapons you missed the 1st time.
on 4 March 2012
For all the hype this game has had over the years it should be pretty fantastic. It's not though. It's really, really not! Given the successes rock star games have had before they should be doing far better than this. The kills scenes are completely unrecognisable and the controls are what you'd expect from wii tennis. And for all the sneaking about that has to be done, it's just not worth it!
on 28 November 2011
Good game, controls a little wonky.
The atmospheric is good and creepy, the plot looks okay, if I so far a little predictable. The action is good, but ease of control less it down quite a lot.
on 5 January 2016
I bought as a gift... and it's censored....
Of course it's the Wii version
For what i heard from the person he hate the censored moments since the game it's brutal.

See one answered question