Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now

Medal of Honor: Airborne (PC DVD)
Platform: PCChange
Price:£6.86+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Airborne is different from the other Medal of honor games in at least 3 ways, and this is the reason why there is a massive variance in the other reviews you see for this title. The three issues are
> hardware requirements,
> the fact that Airborne gameplay just feels different, and
> Airborne levels are open ended.

Firstly, Airborne requires a pretty beefy computer with a stable and up to date software system.
It is not for casual, non-technical game players; if you don't know whether your DirectX and video drivers are up to date, then don't bother. If your computer isn't fast, try Call of Duty 4 or Quake Wars (both run much better on slower systems).

This point is pretty critical; if you do not have a fast frame rate (above 30-40fps), the game will be essentially unplayable. I guess this is the main reason a lot of people give the game a bad review. It is also worth noting that the Unreal 3 engine (that Airborne uses) is CPU hungry as well as requiring a fast graphics card. I use Windows XP, a Quad core Q6600, 2GB memory and a heavily overclocked R1950Pro, and it runs smooth as silk at 1280x1024, all effects on max.

Secondly, Airborne feels different.
The sounds are unlike many other shooters; all the weapons were sampled from real World War 2 items (including the aircraft noises, which are from one of the last flying C-47 troop carriers). The gun sounds are much harsher (high pitched) and contain much less bass. They take an hour of so to get used to, but once you do (and particularly once you realize the sounds are actually much closer to what real soldiers would have heard), it feels natural.

The game allows you to drop in anywhere on a map (more on this later), and that means no two games are ever the same. It also means that the AI is a bit better at moving around, mainly because it does not know what direction you will come from. The better AI has the side effect of making the game pretty hard; you can't just run and gun. That's not a bad thing, but it takes a while to work the game out on medium/high skill levels; the key is to know that the enemy AI DO NOT spawn; there is a limited number of enemy. This means you can (and often must) play a strategic game and clear a level from a distance using stealth/cover, and sharpshooting (it should be noted, however, that if you die, some of the enemy DO re-appear, and that friendly AI always re-spawn).

Thirdly, the missions are open ended.
I know some people say it all feels linear, but it really is not; the whole point of the game is that you are a paratrooper, and can jump into the levels anywhere. The more dangerous your entry point, the harder the game. If you play the game by just jumping in at the designated safe areas, then, yes, it is linear, but you can actually also jump in at the end of the map.

You then end up cut off from your squad, and meet much more resistance (and usually have to clear a path back to your squad if you want to use them). Also, jumping in to a `hot area' is hard because the enemy AI is harder to beat that way (you have to use the `attack from a distance' way if you want an easy life).

Here's the sort of effect this has; In one of the missions, the end target is a radio mast on top of a hill, surrounded by fortified pillboxes and trenches. The first time I played this, I jumped in at the designated start points (denoted by green smoke). The second time, I jumped in just outside the radio mast, towards the end of the map. In both cases, the game played different, and the AI handled it all beautifully.

I can see that the AI has to be perfect for this sort of thing to be possible. Call of Duty 4 gets better reviews, but is totally unplayable after the first attempt because EVERYTHING IS SCRIPTED. Airborne levels are totally dynamic, and that adds to the game immensely.

The downside is that the muliplayer isnt that hot at the moment; the responsive AI is the big deal with this game.

Personally, I had a lot of fun with this game. I also had a lot of fun with Call of duty 4, the main competitor to Airborne. Both are different. Call of duty has a lot more variation and uses tried and tested gameplay (and that makes it fun).

Medal of Honor: Airborne tries new ideas and demands newer hardware, and that makes it different (and perhaps, an acquired - or expensive - taste).
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is a good game; yes you do need a reasonable machine to run it, if you could run Bioshock you can run this. My 7900GTX only really struggled when jumping from the plane at the start of each mission, but once on the ground ran fine. Fantastic looking game although the explosions look slightly less Next Gen than the rest of the graphics.

AI is more aggressive than smart, caught out in the open your friendly German will run straight for you in an attempt to bash you in the head, which is fine unless your in the middle of reloading. Also snipers have the amazing ability to fire through solid concrete while being completely protected by said concrete, that can be especially frustrating when down on health.

Talking of health, I like the old meets new health system. Four squares representing your health. You can take damage but if you get to cover before a square is completely drained it will regenerate, however if you total empty a square you need a med pack to regenerate it. I found this works well, better then the hide and completely recover as see in Call of Duty 2.

The music is, as you would expect, sweeping classical melancholy with a heroic tempo. Nice!! All the sound effects are fairly standard for this type of game, basically it sounds like every other WW2 shooter from the last seven or eight years. I do think the whistling by bullet noise is especially effective though.

All in all this is a good game, it is just let down by the fact it's so short I had scarcely had time to get comfortable. This really is a blink and you've missed it game, on single player anyway, I can't comment on the multiplayer aspect as not had chance to try it yet.

Wheres the rest of this game? Just 6 missions (6 great missions) and its all over bar the shouting. It would not surprise me in the slightest if four or more missions turn up as an add-on pack very shortly, not that I'm saying EA are money grabbing or anything you understand.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The game is easy enough to play, the weapons are awesome especially once you get the upgrades. Only complaint I have about the demo is it's too short!

I know some people have reported problems in running the demo, it needs a graphics card that is capable of shader 3.0

Here are the system requirements for the demo, it may help those who are interested in purchasing the game upon release. Although it says Vista 64 isn't supported, a few gamers have said the game does run on 64bit with no issues, it's just EA aren't supporting it. Also with Crossfire/SLI the final release may support it even though the demo doesn't, it just may be they've limited what is included in the demo to keep the download file to a reasonable size.

==================================================================
System Requirements
==================================================================

REQUIRED SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS:

* OS: Windows XP (SP2), Windows Vista (32-bit; 64-bit versions of
Windows Vista are not supported)

* CPU (Single Core): Intel P4 2.8 GHz or AMD Athlon 2800+ for

* Note: 64 bit versions of Windows are not supported

* Video: DirectX 9.0c, NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT, ATI Radeon
X1300 Pro, or better with Shader 3.0 support for Windows XP or
Vista (Note: NVIDIA 6800XT, 6800LE, 7100GS, 7200GS, 7200LE,
7300GS, 7300GT cards not supported). NOTE: NVIDIA SLI and ATI Crossfire modes are not supported
in Medal of Honor Airborne Demo.

* Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card (Note: For Creative
Sound Blaster Audigy cards running under Windows Vista you should expect
lower performance)
on 13 September 2007
MoH Airborne follows the same tried and tested series and yes, the graphics are much better, and yes, it is not a very long game. I did not however feel it gave the player a lot of flexibility even if you have a choice of what part of a mission to completed - its still very linear. You can't really outflank your enemy, and despite having some control over your parachute you still tend to end up within a very short distance of the enemy.

Could I just say I was confused by one reviewer who stated it was very American - it is about the US 82nd Airbourne - what do you expect? Overall, nothing new just a few tweaks here and there - maybe as gamers we keep expecting something too spectacular everytime a game comes out - and sadly, we feel disappointed when we are not blown off our computers each time.
on 9 June 2008
I would love to give a complete review of MOHA but, as is the case with a colleague who also bought the game, I cant play it. The game won't load. I used the compatibility checker and was informed that my DVD drive was not supported!. To say I was dissapointed would be an under-statement. It would appear that in an attempt to prevent the game being copied it does not work with certain DVD drives.My drive is only a DVD ROM so I could not copy it even if I wanted to. I have never had this problem before and there is no warning on the case stating that you need a particular make of drive to play the game. Looks good but I will never find out so one star, only because I cant give it no stars.
OK now I can play it. I dont know why mabey because I now have Windows 7. Still only one star as this is most annoying game I have ever played. As has been mentioned before when you die, and this quite often as the enemy appear to be bullet proof, you are taken back to the begining of the level. Even if you where 15 minutes into it. Untterly and completely infuriating. The person at EA that thought this was a good idea should be sacked. Pointless waste of money. EA should create a patch to fix this.
on 28 April 2008
I've played all the MOH series, and liked most of them. This one is quite a polished-looking affair with some nice cut scenes, but had a few issues for me that overshadowed the overall game and rather spoilt it.

Firstly the checkpoints. Somebody else said this already, if at the start of the level you dive out of a plane, kill about 100 nazis then die, you'll find yourself jumping back out of the plane all over again when you restart. Sometimes you're right back to square one, and sometimes when you check your objectives it's remembered the 2 tanks you blew up just before you died. So why put you back in the plane then, that's just confusing?

Whenever you do, you'll pray when the game restarts you've not lost the last half hour's play, though quite often you have.

On the last level, after having clearly reached several more checkpoints, it kept returning me to the plane, even though when you land you've cleared the top 3 or 4 floors of your descent downwards. Just getting back to where you were when you last died is onerous and unnecessary.

Accuracy of the weapons is terrible, yeah yeah, I know a head shot works best, but some of these weapons only seem capable of 'spraying in the general direction', and I like to think I'm a FPS diehard.

Final soldiers very sci-fi, went from WWII to Wolfenstein with no warning, odd.

I actually stopped playing it at 3 different points along the way, mostly after jumping out of said plane for the 30th time in an hour. This sadly became one of those games that made me want to finish it just so I could uninstall it and sell it back on.

Do yourself a favour, buy Call of Duty 4 instead.
on 13 August 2010
I bought Medal of Honour: Airborne simply wanting some WWII action (although the market is clearly saturated with WWII games) and I definitely got what I wanted. The game is by no means bad. The cutscenes, dialogue and action really make you feel like part of an elite, albeit near-suicidal, airborne unit fighting battles against Nazi Germany. Jumping out of a plane is great fun and gives some context to the mission you are about to undertake. One slight moan here though: The game advertises the mechanic as brand-new, allowing almost free-roaming liberty to land where you want in the mission area. However, for one, the mission areas are never very large, and although you can attack objectives in different orders, the actual approach to such objectives is pretty linear. Often I found myself wanting to land on a rooftop near the objective so I could get a better angle, only to realise that the game developers didn't want me to go there, so, unrealistically, my parachute movement was suddenly restricted and I was forced to land on the ground, right in front of an enemy MG.
So I wouldn't buy this game if all that attracts you is the "free-roaming" do-what-you-want promise, as the parachuting is a little bit of a gimmick.
Although slightly linear, the game is by no means not fun; the MOH developers have had vast experience in letting you shoot Germans, and it shows. Weapons feel weighty and satisfying, and you have access to many, from German Kar98 bolt-action rifles to Thomson Sub-Machine guns to close-quarters trench shotguns. A nice touch is the weapon ugrade system: each gun has three upgrade stages, allowing you to earn unlocks such as larger magazines, scopes or stabilising grips for better accuracy. The upgrades are persistent so you find yourself wanting to play that little bit more of the campaign to get your reward. I found myself using only my pistol at one point, trying to get as many headshots as possible just to earn a sligtly improved firing rate.

Graphics in MOH:airborne are a really mixed bag. Sometimes they are spectacular. Moving through a bombed-out Italian town is a sight to behold: textures at times are amazing and both weapons and characters have been designed really well, adding to the realism. However, sometimes the quality of the visuals really annoyed me. I found unbelievably bad texture tearing and pop at some points, for example parachuting into Nijmegen, which really ruined the immersion for me. This may be my graphics card: and ATi Radeon HD4850, but its well within the recommended specs. Another graphical gripe for me was the surrounding environments of some of the maps. Looking down at the map area is often satisfying and well done, but most of the time the outlying areas (fields of normandy, rivers of Holland or mountains of Sicily) which you obviously see as you descend in your parachute, look like they have been drawn by a mildly talented 4-year-old. They almost seem like an afterthought added on the day before release when the developers realised that the land environments are pretty important in a game that advertises areial visibility as a main feature.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm moaning, but the graphical elements of the game are very unpolished, and in times like these, with Call of Duty 4 and Crysis' extreme polish and detailed environments, that isn't really acceptable.

Sound is very good however, with excellent, meaty gun sounds, frantic German screaming and explosions that make you wince. Turning the sound right up and playing a level that doesn't pose any graphical annoyances is a true delight. At some points you can really immerse yourself in intense WW2 warfare.

However, another disappointment of mine was the lack of any kind of playable multiplayer. Most current shooters offer up truly addictive multiplayer portions, but again Medal of Honour fell short. Online play is buggy, presents even more texture problems and quite unbalanced. Most of the time the game doesn't connect to the master server, and when it does games are very hard to find and you often aren't even given the ping of servers, so you can't tell if you can actually play or not.
I was kicked by punkbuster millions of times for some reason (no cheating :) and a lot of the time enemies glitch around or your shots aren't registered as hits.
That was after downloading 2 patches, which made no noticable difference!
Also, unlike other games such as Battlefield and Call of Duty, there is no persistend unlock or stats-tracking, so you can't play towards an ultimate goal.

Overall, not a bad game, which, at times, can provide fun, intense and immersive WWII action, but at others have you tearing your hair out due to graphical nonsense and unplayable online features.
on 15 December 2007
I was actually looking forward to playing Airborne, having followed it for several years through its development. The graphics looked nice and the concept of dropping in to the level at any point was a novel one. Then of course there's the fact the previous 2 MOH games are classics.

Imagine my disappointment when I installed Airborne and was confronted with the worst FPS released in years. It becomes apparent very quickly that the designers had not actually done any of the promised innovation (but then when do they?), but instead have just thrown some neat bells and whistles on to hide a 10 year old game.

The graphics which look nice in magazines or the net are actually terrible up close (a lot of bloom hides this in photos), and I'm pretty sure that Germans, nazi or not, didn't look like caricatures of evil zombies. Which leads neatly onto the fact they also didnt have mechanised super soldiers carrying gatling guns. This from a company who claim that historical accuracy is a major focus of the game.

The weapons are a travesty of poor thinking, particularly the Thompson smg which unfortunately happens to be the primary weapon of the game. It is wildly inaccurate to the point where you wonder how anyone managed to get killed in WW2, and when you aim down the sites and fire, the flare just covers the entire screen so that you have no idea if any of your inaccurate bullets are hitting anything. Top this off with the fact the sound effect for it is one of the designers making a gun noise into a low quality microphone.

The level design is on the whole fine, with multiple paths to the objectives, but the environments are sparse and soleless and it doesnt matter where you drop into, as it will still be crawling with enemy soldiers.

Which brings me to the AI. Airborne has without doubt the worst AI I have *ever* seen in a game- and yes, I am actually including the likes of Doom, and even further back to the likes of Spectrum games. As you play the game you will wonder how the head at EA who signed off the game can sleep at night, because all other aspects aside, this is the one which make the game unplayable.

Your troops who drop in beside you via their disappearing parachutes, will happily just run towards the nearest enemy. They wont shoot at the enemy, just run towards them. Then once they have bounced off each other, both will turn in the opposite direction and run for 2 seconds before turning round and shooting. Of course by this point they cant actually see each other so they will just be firing into a wall. Both the allied and German soldiers will randomly shout out one of the same 3 phrase vocabulary, which have nothing to do with the situation at any point in time. The player can happily stand next to an enemy for 10 seconds before they notice they are there, hell you can even shoot them and they wont turn round. The game also has an unlimited supply of enemies for you to shoot at. Forget about clearing out one area then moving onto the next, because once you turn that corner, the entire zone you just cleared will be instantly populated again. The squad behaviour is also non existent, with it being an every-man-for-himself situation for all NPCs. So much for a tightly knit unit. This is amazing as Pacific Assault actually had a reasonable squad behaviour, so why hasn't the same code appeared in Airborne?

This game is a crime against the FPS genre and games as a whole. If you want to play a MOH game, get Allied Assault or Pacific Assault. DO. NOT. BUY. THIS.
on 11 December 2007
I was a little sceptical about buying this game at first. Having read the feedback's on the game here at Amazon. The reading was to say the least, "A little off putting". However being a fan of Medal of Honour I decided to go ahead and buy. I pre ordered and waited with anticipation only to be disappointed that the release date was postponed. So I had to wait patiently a few weeks longer. Eventually on receiving and loading up the game I found that I didn't have enough memory and the game kept crashing.......So I bought another Gb, and after installation ... I was pleasantly surprised....It worked. I couldn't have been more pleased.

A super game with great graphic's...The game is made to keep the player on their toes.. Not much command and control but all the same an exciting game full of hidden surprises. A good tip is to stay with the squad on the fight through each objective. Don't get to far ahead and try not to drop behind that way you will have support. I find it great fun to change tactics sometimes fight aggressively and at other times do a sneaky beaky... The Parachuting makes the game exciting and more realistic. Yeah! I like the game.... Super stuff.

Advise to potential buyers of Medal of Honour Airborne: make sure your specs are up to scratch; i.e. have plenty of memory.

And in conclusion a really well done to all those at Electronic Arts. However Just a small request. Please please try and keep the specs down on future games. Not everyone can afford to update every time a new game emerges... The standards of your games are superb... another year or two at the same specs would gain you a greater fan club... And in the long run bring with it a larger influx of the readies.
on 22 September 2007
This game feels like a linier console conversion. The way the game takes you back to the plane for after each death is driving me nuts.

I like to play games on the hardest setting, but having to repeat so much of what you have accomplished only to be taken back to plane again and again completely takes the enjoyment out of the game. Maybe this was EA's way of trying to lengthen a short game.

Each part of the map the enemy is defending must be overrun by your troops to make the enemy fall back, logical you may say, but if you try to pick them off from a distance they will keep respawning until you take the area. There is a very amaturist feel about flanking the enemy and watching them respawn again and again.

The graphics are quite nice, but no real improvement on previous MOH installments.

To sum things up, I feel like i've paid full game price for an expansion pack for a game thats two years old. This will be the last MOH game I will buy.