5.0 out of 5 stars New Download is Excellent , looks good for full game!!!
Published on 26 Aug 2007 by G. Miller

3.0 out of 5 stars Delusions of adequacy
I try to be honest and forgiving in reviews. I'll be struggling with this one.

The first mission was great. Great fun, multiple simultaneous objectives and not linear. Second one ok, third one ok. Went a bit downhill after that.

Published on 21 Sep 2007 by D. Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars Delusions of adequacy, 21 Sep 2007
D. Williams "Diddly Dai" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Medal of Honor: Airborne (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I try to be honest and forgiving in reviews. I'll be struggling with this one.

Graphics - I actually like the graphics but I know some have complained about them, but they look pretty good to me. Not as good as COD3, but still pretty good. The sprint effect was a nice touch.

Sound - was chaotic as you'd expect in a battle, headshot sound is a nice feature. But that flaming annoying music is SO LOUD it's ridiculous. And it's cheesy. How annoying is it to hear that same baah-baba-baah-ba-baaahh trumpet fanfare in the music every time there's an 'exciting' bit? My advice is to turn that off ASAP.

Land wherever you want in the map - Not really true. If you start moving towards a good area some kind of invisible fart blows you off course, you don't land where you want and you end up with a botched landing and probably a beaten skull. There's a 'greased landing' where you can be ready for action the moment you land, but in the last couple of maps there's almost no way of using it.

Enemy - endless. What's the point in picking them off from a distance? None. Kill a couple and run to some cover further on and hopefully they'll stop coming. By the end it just got silly. Plain silly, and at that point the game lost all hope. MG42-toting super-soldiers running around and it takes 2 panzerschreck hits to their head just to kill them, and when you kill them you can't even pick up their weapon! Not believable. Plus if you shoot at an enemy who has a panzerschreck he can suddenly and miraculously fire 2 or 3 panzerschreck rounds a second! They fire 3 in the time it took me to fire one and reload.

Game saves - Here it only saves after you achieve an objective. Why can't you save the damn game when you are in a good position? You'll cry and curse if you are 2 inches from the objective and you die and you have to do the same thing over and over. Splinter Cell Double Agent is hard, but at least when you've pulled off that tricky bit you can save it straight after.

Weapon upgrades - nice feature. The shotgun bayonet is pretty cool. I wish it would save after a weapon upgrade because, as it is, you upgrade your weapon and lose the upgrade if you die and it hasn't saved. But why can't I take the scopes off upgraded weapons? For example I liked the G43 without it. On the X360 the 'true trigger' is just pure pap. For a start it's wrong in the manual (its got nothing to do with the D pad, it's left triger to aim and ease in the right trigger), secondly the X360 triggers don't have a 20lb pull, which makes it a bit tricky. And if you ever do master it by the time you do it the enemy has moved.

Allies - This game does tend to suffer from what I like to call "Medal of Honor syndrome" (which is not surprising as it is Medal of Honor) and by that I mean there's complete parts of it where I was the only paratooper there. Just like in the original MOHAA. There are the odd parts where it's you and a mate, or maybe you and 2 others. Where's the rest of the Division?
That said, when they do turn up they are as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. E.g. I aimed at an enemy, and ended up killing 6 of my own guys as they ran in front every time I pulled the trigger. It was uncanny. And my all time favourite - running in front of you just as you throw a grenade, so that it bounces off them and hits you. Genius. At least it doesn't suffer from the even more annoying CoD problem where you have to restart if you kill one of your own after they stupidly run in front of you.
They also like run in front of an enemy and try and melee them; god knows why as the Germans always win those fights. Still your squad mate with a Tommy will always run up and try and melee. Can someone at EA explain why? Please?

The biggest problem though was that from where you have to run across Nijmegen bridge onwards it just got so tedious, boringly frustrating and repetitive that I can't describe it. I must have done some of those bits a million times, mostly thanks to the endless enemies described above. It has just stopped being fun, which I hate to point out is the reason for playing games. I've played Condemned, COD3, Crackdown and Bioshock through a good 2 or 3 times each at least. I've played COD, COD2, H&D2 and other games through loads of times on the PC, because they are FUN! And ENJOYABLE! And REPLAYABLE! It's like the developers of this game missed the reason people were buying it.

I loved the demo for this game, that's why I bought the full version. I didn't even mind dying as you could try landing somewhere else or a different approach. But the later missions, especially the last three, just didn't measure up to the expectation that the first mission gives you. I looked forward to endless hours replaying the missions because I believed that it would be fun trying out new things by landing elsewhere on the map. The potential for replay here was enormous but the developers squandered it and it settled in to the old "Big Boss" formula.

In summary - good graphics and sounds, crap music, allied AI is atrocious, enemy doesn't need AI as they just keep on coming (but that said they do tend to take cover and move a lot which makes killing them tricky), but badly let down by being not believable or enjoyable by the end. I'm just wanting to get this over with, and surely that's not why you buy a game?

I'd also like to congratulate EA for correctly spotting that there was no other Airborne forces in WWII. There were no British or Polish paras, it was all the Americans. Honest. If you're going to call it Airborne then why not have a load of airborne missions from other forces? Start in 1940 with the German airborne attacking Eben Emael, the Crete a couple of years later(which would have significantly increased the number of missions, and made them much more varied and less made up by the end.)

Incidentally - CoD3 Gold Edition is only 20. Half the price, twice the game.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but lacks in Multi Player, 17 Sep 2007
Mr. A. M. Offley "Tonyo" (Gibraltar) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Medal of Honor: Airborne (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
As a single player game it is game, graphics wise and sound etc is brilliant as you would expect. But it is very very short - only 6 missions.

It is the multiplayer that lets it down. It does not rival COD3 in this respect. Ok one side can parachute in etc but the maps are very small. Max 12 players on a map. There is only team battle, a sort of similar thing to the "war" mode on COD3 and that's it. No capture the flag, no all against all or anything like that.
This really lets down the title in my opinion, infact I've had it less than a week and I'm bored of it and am back to playing COD3 on multiplayer.
Buy this only if you are really really really keen on the novelty factor of being able to parachute. That's it!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars First half great, 2nd half badly implemented, 16 Sep 2007
Amazonian Native (Amazon Rainforest) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Medal of Honor: Airborne (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This game is a mixed bag, this time around it's got closer to call of duty in that you actually fight with other soldiers around you rather than taking on an army in a linear way on your lonesome.

The fact that you parachute in, and the less linear maps give the game more variety, and adds replay value to a slight degree. Upon playing it, the missions in the first half of the game are ok, but once you play the last 3 missions it becomes completely lopsided, you'll find that shooting soldiers in the leg with a sniper rifle doesn't affect them at all, they will quite happily run away as the able bodied superbeings they are, and it takes more and more bullets to kill a soldier, to a ridiculous degree, also you'll feel like a fish in a barrel by level 4, in a vast map with snipers that you can' see, literally everywhere, you'll wonder what's happened.
It seems the game ends up being some sort of Arcade cliche rather than a sensible WW2 game, it gears itself up to just getting harder and harder in a non realistic way and ending with a silly boss level, this really lets down what initially looked really promising.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Download is Excellent , looks good for full game!!!, 26 Aug 2007
G. Miller "kiwipaul" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Medal of Honor: Airborne (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I agree with previous reviewers !! Dont review till you play the game , or at least the working demo !! I downloaded MOH Airbourne demo and played through all the difficulty levels over and over .. brilliant game , graphics are ok but the game play is fantastic and it just feels right. Upgrading weapons for good shooting is inspired as is the excellent map. Hope the full game is as good and really hope the online game has lots of options.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not everything it claimed to be or could've been., 26 Sep 2007
Ian Tapley "thefragrantwookiee" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Medal of Honor: Airborne (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
In general terms, this is an entertaining WWII shooter with impressive graphics and atmospheric sound, as well as authentic Second World War settings. However, where it goes wrong is precisely where it has tried to be innovative...

I was under the impression (from the trailer here on Amazon) that different approaches could be used to complete the same objective (ie assault a gun emplacement or, instead, destroy it's ammo, or destroy it's targeting radar). I was wrong. Every single objective must be completed (although not in a specific order), involving going somewhere and planting a bomb, then going somewhere else and planting another bomb etc.

The weapons upgrading also sounded great, earning new parts for your guns as your skill increases. But unlocking the add-ons isn't nearly as compelling as it seems and several of them are more annoying than useful.

The parachuting, which is supposed to let you pick where you go into the fighting is also next to useless. Your options are pretty much a) land at the pre-assigned green smoke area or b) land anywhere else and die instantly from the German you can't fight back at for 5-20 seconds. There's not that much range in adjusting your landing anyway. Another good idea wasted.

Rather than a squad to command, there are now simply groups of allied troops charging around. However, these clumps of men are seemingly random meaning that sometimes you'll have plenty of support (with appalling AI) and at other times you'll have none. The MOH team should've learned a thing or two from those behind the 'Battlefield' and 'Brothers in Arms' franchises.

The enemy are one of the worst elements of the game. They are literally endless, respawning continuously until you complete the objective in that area. This means that there can be no tactics, stealth or patience in your combat style, since waiting for that perfect shot will just allow another five Germans to appear out of nowhere.

However, the grand prize for letting this game down goes to it being really, really short. I completed it in three days. Three days!

A pretty big let-down overall, I can only hope that 'Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway' doesn't disappoint so badly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It Recommended., 1 Nov 2008
Moosehunter (Chesterfield Derbyshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Medal of Honor: Airborne (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Depends what you look for in a game. I really enjoyed this. The graphics were excellent and gave a real feeling of place. AI enemies don't come on and on for ever as some others have written, when you clear some move forward, this encourages you to keep moving as in a real war and not just sit there taking pot shots. The game saves everytime you complete an objective. Some folk have moaned about the Nijmegen bridge level, yes it's hard but when you play as its supposed to play it is very satisfying when you complete it and great fun.
I like the way the ememy soldiers run around looking for cover and even get behind you, chaos just like in a real war but play it right, use the cover and it's very enjoyable.
Yes there are a few glitches, e.g the occasional dead soldier hanging in mid air but it doesn'y detract from the game. Some of the battlegrounds are stunning and real works of art, such as the train yard level and the battles in Holland. The weapon upgrades are a nice if not essential touch.
The multiplayer is interesting to, parachuting in to a level rarther than spawning means you can land on roof tops but it also means the germans can shoot you as you parachute to the ground. Very enjoyable though.

If you are a fan of WW2 shooters then you will love this, at the price it is now it is a steal.
Don't be put off by some of the negative reviews, some people want the moon on a stick. I really wonder about people who reckon the graphics are poor. Play this on a decent size HD TV and it looks wonderful.

2.0 out of 5 stars End of the road for MOH, 18 Dec 2007
Mr. G. D. Kneebone (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Medal of Honor: Airborne (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I've really enjoyed playing the MOH series and WWII games in general but this edition is just one game too far. The franchise needs a injection of invention if it is to continue. Why?

The gameplay was the major dissapointment, the same old levels just spruced up for 360. D-Day, Nijemgin bridge, meeting up with a Britsh officer done it all before and it's been done better. As for the parachuting out of plane, it's just a gimmick to try to sell the game or make it different from the rest. You have to land on the green flare otherwise you last all of 5 seconds and because of this you don't really get a choice in how to tackle the game. The enemy just respawn endlessly which is really annoying, you take out a machine gun nest to get to use the machine gun. Rather than than using the machine gun and get rewarded for completing this small task you just hoards and hoards of Germans pouring at you until you decide to switch it off and play COD3 or a better FPS.

Don't see where the franchise can go from here, well only up...hopefully...

3.0 out of 5 stars Great but short-lived, 25 Sep 2007
Obiwan "obiwan2467" (South Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Medal of Honor: Airborne (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I have to agree with Diddly Dai. I rushed out to buy this game after playing the demo and although I spent a thoroughly enjoyable weekend playing the game, that's all it took to complete it. That includes replaying certain missions to upgrade every weapon in the game and finding the Mauser, which incidentally is in a safe in the control room near the rail gun on mission 5. (Find the flashing red box on the safe and press A to plany a charge).

I expected this game to have infinite replay value and although I am still playing it on and off after a couple of weeks I think I've about had enough now! The online multiplayer is pretty poor really. Small maps, no co-op mission mode. Not a patch on Rainbow Six.

One other thing that's been annoying me. I have been trying to achieve the medals for completing all 6 missions with 5* on casual and there does not seem to be any criteria for acieving 5*. First run through of the whole game, I got 5* on every level, no matter how many times I died or did something stupid while I was familiarising myself with the controls. Except on Operation Market Garden where I got 4* but was the only mission I completed without dying. I have now played this mission about 20 times until I can sail through it really quickly, never die, get nothing but headshots and I can take the tanks out with only 1 or 2 Gammon Grenades but I now keep getting 3*. I just don't get it. The last mission, which is ridiculously hard and confusing as to where your objectives are, I died a dozen times and took well over an hour to complete on first run through but it gave me 5*!!! Makes no sense.

So if you want a game that's going to last and give you forty quid's worth, buy something else and wait until this drops in price (probably after Call of Duty 4 is released). Personally, I'm trading my copy in tomorrow for Halo 3 and I've never been a big Halo fan but I reckon it's got to have more longevity of play than this.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great game but very short-lived and feels more like an extension pack to previous MOH games.

By the way, Diddly Dai, you can remove any upgrades, such as rifle scope or grenade launcher by pressing the Left Bumper button.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag but generally excellent with some absolutely stunning levels!, 24 July 2008
For:
1. The graphics and sound are on the whole stunning, as good as any game out there at the moment, and I must mention one particular map, the town in the Market Garden level, truly awe inspiring. The huge amount of detail that went into that map is absolutely astonishing!
2. The controls are perfect, natural to use and smooth. This is the only game I've played where you can dip and duck up and down, left and right, peak over and around walls and object by just swivelling the stick. It's easily as good as the cover systems used in such games as Gears of War, Ghost Recon, and Rainbow Six Vegas.
3. Parachuting is a nice way to get into a level and feel more natural than just spawning somewhere.
4. Modelling is excellent of both characters, textures and weapons. Everything looks fantastic.
5. Fights are immersive and challenging and a lot of fun.

Against:
1. My biggest gripe with the game is enemy spawning. Enemy will spawn indefinitely until you move forward past an invisible line. Forget tactics, eventually you have to just run in to a barrage of bullets. This makes some parts of the game tedious and pointless, turning the game into a fair ground shooting range. What is the point, for instance, of having a sniper rifle and snipping from a tower if you never clear an area?? This one factor put me off buying the game until it came down to a reasonable price (I got it for 15).
2. Bafflingly, a lot of the time head-shots do not kill and the further on in the game the more apparent this ludicrous choice the developers made becomes?? Head-shots should almost always be an instant kill.

Conclusion:
I haven't played COD4 yet so don't know how it compares (and COD4 doesn't have any cover system which puts me off) but MOHA is a great game, which looks and plays fantastically most of the time and is a top Xbox 360 must-have game with plenty of replay value. I haven't played the multi-player much but it seemed to be as good as most multi-player games I've tried on the Xbox 360

5.0 out of 5 stars Xbox 360 must have, 2 May 2008
P. Walmsley "game master" (Chester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Medal of Honor: Airborne (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Airbourne is a brilliant all round game. the graphics are superb. The guns are realistic and the story is smooth and believable. there are no complaints about this game in my book. maybe the best in the series and one of the best games on xbox 360 this year. A great game and a must have for gamers this year.

Medal of Honor: Airborne (Xbox 360)
Medal of Honor: Airborne (Xbox 360) by Electronic Arts (Xbox 360)
18.35