4.6 out of 5 stars1,297
Colour Name: Platinum Grey|Change
Price:£17.27+ £5.00 shipping

on 6 April 2011
I was looking for a tall scratching post at a reasonable price to stop my 3 cats destroying our wooden bookcases. THis is just the right length for an adult cat to stretch upwards, and they like the sisal string surface. It is very stable, with a square solid base which doesn't wobble. Colour (the cream variant) is inconspicuous in living room. A good purchase.
on 15 September 2010
Before buying this, consider the habits of your cat. Do they like to scratch Vertically (garden tree/wall paper) or Horizontally (carpets/stairs)?

I have two cats, one which loves to scratch the tree in our garden and another who loves to lie down on the stairs and rip the step next to him to shreds...

This product has proved a huge hit with the tree hugger and fingers crossed the stair destroyer will take a shining to it eventually...

It's much larger than any Scratching post I've seen available in the shops (it towers over the usual Argos effort) without taking up much floor space and seems to be a quality build.

I had hoped that this would prevent the stair shredding from continuing, but so far the culprit hasn't paid it much attention.

I know that horizontal step shaped scratching posts are available, however I'm not keen on attaching one of these to the stairs due to the tripping hazard and we don't really have anywhere else suitable to place it.

I think I may have to invest in a scratcher mat before the Winter months kick in...

To sum up, if you're going to buy a vertical scratching post, and have particularly large/tall cats like I do, then this is the post for you!
22 comments|151 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 October 2010
I was really wary of buying another scratching post because I've bought about three posts/mats from the local pet shop over the last couple of years that are lying around the house ignored and unloved. I decided to buy this Parla one because our new rescue cat had decided to start using our leather dining chairs as scratching posts and the double sided sticky tape trick wasn't working - this post looked like it had a really nice big sturdy base so I hoped it would do the trick where others had failed. It arrived two days later and within 5 minutes (with the help of a bit of string wrapped around the post) we had two cats completed hooked, never to look at the chairs again... The post is taller than most so gives the cats a really good stretch and it's a doddle to assemble (my three year old did it!). The cream base is plush and cosy looking so the cats love it and the post can be left in the corner unobtrusively. Really good value for a great price, definitely the best scratching post I've come across, and I looked around a lot!! Highly recommended =)
11 comment|140 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 April 2012
This scratching post is very easy to assemble, it comes in two parts and the pole simply screws into the base. The base is big enough to keep the post secure and upright when my cat is having a workout.

I'm sure that this scratching post will withstand the test of time as it is very sturdy and rope that the pole is bound with is very tough.

I'm happy with this purchase and more importantly so is my cat !!
on 12 June 2011
A very good product for the price. Tall enough for a larger cat (we have a 6kg teddy bear of a British Blue) and he has a grand old time on it. While it would be great to have a few dangly toys on it, you can't expect everything for such a good price.
on 27 December 2014
This looks like beautiful quality and is a great size but unfortunately like some other reviewers, mine arrived without a bolt to secure the post to the base - so is unusable. There seems to be no way of contacting the seller to ask for the missing part. It was a Christmas present so the original box was thrown away some time ago. The only option appears to be to find a new box and queue up at the post office to return it. I don't have time to do this so have decided write off the £16 and buy a new one elsewhere but it's a shame to have given a present that can't be used.
on 16 May 2009
A very strong and sturdy product. Simple to put together. New cat in the house with absolutely no respect for my basket chairs. Training her slowly to use scratching post. She will certainly have difficulty in ruining the product as it is so well constructed.
on 24 February 2011
Bought this to replace an old worn out scratch post. Was impressed with the size and it is much more sturdy than any others I have had before. Is a great height for any size cat to stretch on and my cat took to it as soon as it was out of its wrapping. Is also really easy to put together. Great value for money.
on 14 August 2015
We have tried scratching posts and never had much luck. Cat has ignored previous ones we have bought and continued to use the arm of our sofa! We decided to give this one a go as it is practically the same height as the sofa she scratches already and it actually worked! It's not fancy or exciting looking but it's the tallest scratching post we have bought and I think that's what makes it work. Our cat loves to stretch out and this post allows her to stretch out and scratch! A few no's when she went for the sofa and a few treats when she used the post and she soon started choosing the post! Happy cat and happy customer! Cheapest post we have bought and by far the most effective!
review image
on 6 April 2015
This is a very sturdy scratch post compared to some our there and at a bargain price too considering it's free shipping!
Great for the larger cat like our ragdoll....
review image