4.0 out of 5 stars Breaking Up and Making Up
"Climates" is a worthy follow up to the memorable "Uzak" by Turkish director and actor Nuri Bilge Ceylan. Ceylan plays the leading role in "Climates" alongside his real life wife Ebru Ceylan. They play an Istanbul couple whose relationship is slowly breaking up and this drama unfolds over three seasons each with very different climates, hence the title of the film...
Published on 22 July 2007 by L. Davidson

3.0 out of 5 stars you will either love it or hate it....
Yeah, this film can divide opinion. On one hand it can be very long, slow and boring whilst on the other it can be seen as a very stylish and intelligent film. I'll settle for the middle ground. Yes, it can drag in places but the film does portay a failing relationship quite well. They have liitle to talk about to one another nor do they have similar interests and this...
Published on 10 Nov 2008 by godzilla78

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissatisfaction, beautifully presented..., 24 Mar 2012
Tim Kidner "Hucklebrook Hound" (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Climates [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
Nuri Bilge Ceylan's relationship dramas are loved by the critics, who can see all that pure unadulterated misery in all its perfectly shot scrutiny. They can revel in its rawness and honesty.

For the rest of us, who've got our own problems to think about and contend with, having someone's else's graphically thrust upon us for near two hours is just a bit much. I'd bought his previous 'Uzak' on DVD, believing it to be the best film of the year. It wasn't - and isn't.

I watched 'Climates' on late night TV because I should, because critics and those that "get" Ceylan tell us we should. And just to prove my preconceived idea that I won't like it, wrong. I'm finding the characters no more agreeable - one asks if such dissatisfied people actually deserve loving partners the way they behave.

It's not all total misery, of course. There are bits that should be applauded. As others have said, the cinematography, for instance. The beach scene at the beginning with its selective focus is superbly done (I'm a photographer myself, so can appreciate).

Whilst it would be against his style and selfish of me to expect Ceylan to jolly up his films - there is almost no incidental music, for instance - I'm sure a few would wish he did. That he won't and I wouldn't expect him to, I could simply just not watch his films. But, there is always that nagging feeling that I'm missing out if I don't.

2.0 out of 5 stars dissappointing, 7 May 2008
B. Maughan (Manchester, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Climates [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I like arthouse films and am not normally bothered by slow pacing, but this was dull and the characters both unlikeable and unfathomable

1.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly dull!!, 20 Jan 2008
This review is from: Climates [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
Forced myself to sit through it as I had paid for rental. Second rate acting and so ...slow!!

Climates [DVD] [2007]
Climates [DVD] [2007] by Nuri Bilge Ceylan (DVD - 2007)
6.37