4.0 out of 5 stars ITV effort!
I think I have to appreciate ITV effort to make Jane Austin's novels as close to the story lines, but if you have watch BBC version of these dramas then you could not help but high expectations!
Published on 29 Nov 2009 by Mrs. Z. K

3.0 out of 5 stars 2 out of 3
Published on 1 Aug 2009 by Xaqueline Lucs Laing

3.0 out of 5 stars 2 out of 3, 1 Aug 2009
Xaqueline Lucs Laing "Jackie" (Mallorca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Jane Austen ITV Collection - Mansfield Park / Northanger Abbey / Emma (3 Disc Box Set) [2007] [DVD] (DVD)
Of the three DVD's I enjoyed Emma which I didn't think I would because it took me ages to get through the book as the main character really annoyed me, I also really enjoyed Northanger Abbey they were both fairly true to the books BUT, Mansfield Park , which is one of my favorite books, was terrible, the story line, the acting everything, I was very disappointed to be honest. So my advise to Jane Austin fans is don't buy the pack of three, buy them individually and don't get Mansfield Park...

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very Austentatious, 6 Oct 2008
I saw the whole short season of ITV Austen adaptations from which the three featured here were chosen and the main mystery to me is why it was that by far the the best of them - 'Persuasion', with Rupert Penry Jones and the excellent Sally Hawkins - was not included in this set.

This 'Mansfield Park' is especially poor, partly because Billie Piper - (a decent actress to be sure) is miscast. Even her looks, with her trademark bleached blonde hair and black eyebrows, are simply wrong for a lead Austen part.

For Mansfield Park, look for the greatly superior version starring Frances O' Connor as Fanny Price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bluray? Only one out of three Qualifies ,which is Disappointing, 2 Nov 2010
I have to say I am a glutton for punishment,when it comes to ITV adaptations on Bluray.So far Persuasion by ITV on Bluray is bluntly a DVD quality transfer,Wuthering Heights is not much better.But lets talk about this Jane Austen Collection,NorthHanger Abbey is not High Definition,more like the dvd version which I already own.Mansfield Park is virtually the same.But to my suprise Emma is around 80% High Definition which begs the question where is the quality control for these products as it is quite deceiving to put out products in 1080p which are clearly not HD.My advice is dont waste your money and hope they bring out a worthy product worth buying.I hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars ITV effort!, 29 Nov 2009

4.0 out of 5 stars Becoming a Jane fan, 10 Mar 2008
Richard Gillin (St Albans, UK) - See all my reviews
Well, I think I was a Jane Austen fan before. But to my shame I had read Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey only once and Emma only twice, so was not hugely familiar with any of these. Having watched them on TV, re-read the books and now re-watching on DVD, I think these are a great way of getting into some of her less well-known works.

Yes, they suffer a little from the 'Andrew Davis' effect of sexing up the original books that can be a little distracting. But overall they are a faithful enough reflection of the originals, well acted and good value in a boxed set like this - particularly as many of you will already have the BBC Pride & Prejudice and Ang Lee film of Sense & Sensibility (it is more in the school of these than the Gwyneth Paltrow film of Emma or the recent Keira Knightley Pride & Prejudice). It's just a shame they couldn't squeeze Persuasion into the same boxed set - if they could this would have got the full five stars. As it is, it'll get four stars and a recommendation for anyone who is an Austen fan already or who has enjoyed either Pride & Prejudice or Sense & Sensibility and is looking to broaden their range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Austen rules OK, 2 Dec 2013
Thes adaptations are quite close to the books, and all the better for it. Casting is good, with none of those 'look at me in period costume' actors. Austen without your reading glasses: excellent.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Jane Austin ITV, 16 Dec 2012
Joy Miller (UK) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed watching the DVD because I like Jane Austin Stories but I thought the quality of the picture and sound could have been better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good set, 14 May 2009
I bought this as I had seen both Emma and Mansfield Park on TV. I enjoyed watching them both again and was interested in Northanger Abbey. I personally found Northanger Abbey a bit of a let down compared to the others, but would recommend this set to any Jane Austen fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars 2 Fab dvds, 1 not so much.., 29 Mar 2009
C. L. Foster - See all my reviews
Both Northanger Abbey and Emma are adapted by Andrew Davies and both are very good. They're both well performed and retain the spirit of the novel. Mansfield Park is disapointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's alright..., 1 Nov 2007
S. Gonzalez (Seattle, WA, USA) - See all my reviews
As the reviewer before me stated, if this is indeed the caliber of programming that comes out of ITV, then no, it does not rival BBC...HOWEVER, I was actually relatively entertained by these programs (as well as the Persuasion movie that was part of this season that isn't included here). They weren't quite true to the novels, but overall, they were each worth watching all the way through. Perhaps it is because I'm a fan of cheesy romance films, but I give it 3 stars for being alright in my eyes.