4.0 out of 5 stars Good set
I bought this as I had seen both Emma and Mansfield Park on TV. I enjoyed watching them both again and was interested in Northanger Abbey. I personally found Northanger Abbey a bit of a let down compared to the others, but would recommend this set to any Jane Austen fan.
Published on 14 May 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars 2 out of 3
Published on 1 Aug. 2009 by Xaqueline Lucs Laing

3.0 out of 5 stars 2 out of 3, 1 Aug. 2009
Xaqueline Lucs Laing "Jackie" (Mallorca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Jane Austen ITV Collection - Mansfield Park / Northanger Abbey / Emma (3 Disc Box Set) [2007] [DVD] (DVD)
Of the three DVD's I enjoyed Emma which I didn't think I would because it took me ages to get through the book as the main character really annoyed me, I also really enjoyed Northanger Abbey they were both fairly true to the books BUT, Mansfield Park , which is one of my favorite books, was terrible, the story line, the acting everything, I was very disappointed to be honest. So my advise to Jane Austin fans is don't buy the pack of three, buy them individually and don't get Mansfield Park...

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very Austentatious, 6 Oct. 2008
I saw the whole short season of ITV Austen adaptations from which the three featured here were chosen and the main mystery to me is why it was that by far the the best of them - 'Persuasion', with Rupert Penry Jones and the excellent Sally Hawkins - was not included in this set.

This 'Mansfield Park' is especially poor, partly because Billie Piper - (a decent actress when in the right role, to be sure) is miscast. Even her looks, with her trademark bleached blonde hair and black eyebrows, are just wrong for a lead Austen part.

For Mansfield Park, look for the greatly superior version starring Frances O' Connor as Fanny Price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bluray? Only one out of three Qualifies ,which is Disappointing, 2 Nov. 2010
I have to say I am a glutton for punishment,when it comes to ITV adaptations on Bluray.So far Persuasion by ITV on Bluray is bluntly a DVD quality transfer,Wuthering Heights is not much better.But lets talk about this Jane Austen Collection,NorthHanger Abbey is not High Definition,more like the dvd version which I already own.Mansfield Park is virtually the same.But to my suprise Emma is around 80% High Definition which begs the question where is the quality control for these products as it is quite deceiving to put out products in 1080p which are clearly not HD.My advice is dont waste your money and hope they bring out a worthy product worth buying.I hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good set, 14 May 2009

4.0 out of 5 stars Becoming a Jane fan, 10 Mar. 2008
Richard Gillin (St Albans, UK) - See all my reviews
Well, I think I was a Jane Austen fan before. But to my shame I had read Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey only once and Emma only twice, so was not hugely familiar with any of these. Having watched them on TV, re-read the books and now re-watching on DVD, I think these are a great way of getting into some of her less well-known works.

Yes, they suffer a little from the 'Andrew Davis' effect of sexing up the original books that can be a little distracting. But overall they are a faithful enough reflection of the originals, well acted and good value in a boxed set like this - particularly as many of you will already have the BBC Pride & Prejudice and Ang Lee film of Sense & Sensibility (it is more in the school of these than the Gwyneth Paltrow film of Emma or the recent Keira Knightley Pride & Prejudice). It's just a shame they couldn't squeeze Persuasion into the same boxed set - if they could this would have got the full five stars. As it is, it'll get four stars and a recommendation for anyone who is an Austen fan already or who has enjoyed either Pride & Prejudice or Sense & Sensibility and is looking to broaden their range.

4.0 out of 5 stars ITV effort!, 29 Nov. 2009
I think I have to appreciate ITV effort to make Jane Austin's novels as close to the story lines, but if you have watch BBC version of these dramas then you could not help but high expectations!

5.0 out of 5 stars Costume drama from the ITV, 29 Nov. 2011
RR Waller "ISeneca" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Although I do not think these versions come up to the very high standards set by some others (hardly surprising considering the competition), they are very good and it is still an excellent boxed-set of Jane Austen's much-loved novels. ITV's costume drama departments have done themselves and Jane Austen proud and are catching up on the BBC.

I am not the great Jane Austen fan my wife is but I have read all the books and seen all the films I bought for her (in the cinema and on DVDs). There are already many reviews of this, some very detailed indeed and the product details above give all the technical specs, so no need for another lengthy review.

It is a challenge for any filmmakers to tackle such a loved, respected and well-known writer as Jane Austen, whose books thrive on intimate details of characters and society often so difficult to convey off the page but these intelligently written screenplays, giving directors a great deal on which to work, especially with a stellar group of British acTORS.

This would make an excellent present for any Austn fan and, at these prices, hours of enjoyment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blu-Ray 3 pack review, 4 Mar. 2015
The quality of the day light scenes in this Blu-Ray disc set is a marked improvement on the standard D V D offerings, I have already reviewed these discs as to their artistic merit, suffice to say that Emma is at the top with ten out of ten and Mansfield Park considerably less so. The discs are all marked region B ( see Google for area codes IE it should Play ) and play on all 6 of the different models of my Panasonic players/Blu-Ray recorders/Cinema units, but on my Sony multi-region Blu-ray player I have to press "2" on the remote control with the D V D player switched off ( SONY BDP-S1100 Multizone ) to manually switch to region B. How odd, but it does not really matter and this is given for information only.

4.0 out of 5 stars 2 Fab dvds, 1 not so much.., 29 Mar. 2009
C. L. Foster - See all my reviews
Both Northanger Abbey and Emma are adapted by Andrew Davies and both are very good. They're both well performed and retain the spirit of the novel. Mansfield Park is disapointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Austen rules OK, 2 Dec. 2013
Thes adaptations are quite close to the books, and all the better for it. Casting is good, with none of those 'look at me in period costume' actors. Austen without your reading glasses: excellent.