4.0 out of 5 stars Charming (and restrained for Andrew Davies!)
This is a lovely adaptation of one of the lesser-known Jane Austen novels. It's a slight story, a satire on the effect on impressionable young girls of reading overblown novels but also a very charming love story. I would highly recommend it. It's beautiful to look at and the leads, Felicity Jones and JJ Feild, are both wonderful in their roles, with a good on-screen...
Published on 22 Oct. 2007 by catsatcastle

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best book, not the best screenplay but...
You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and so what the production team have done with this is to be applauded. This is the least mature and interesting of Jane's sumptuous novels, and so I had low expectations (in a quasi anti-Dickensian way). Nonetheless, it was better than expected (if a little too tongue-in-cheek at times with the brief gothic, teenage dream...
Published on 9 May 2010 by Shmorganzola

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Best adaption of this novel so far, 4 April 2007
This review is from: Northanger Abbey [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
Much to my surprise, I really enjoyed this film. Northanger Abbey is my least favourite Jane Austen. When I was younger, I didn't `get' the gothic parody, and I have never got round to trying it again, maybe I will now. This production did take a few liberties, particularly with the sexual innuendo in the fantasy sequences, but it was convincing. I would think that a 17 year old innocent would be fascinated by the more risqué passages in the kind of novels which Catherine Morland was reading. The minor plot changes were improvements on the novel- sorry Janeites - lifting the pace of the story without changing the sense of it at all. Felicity Jones is excellent as Catherine, convincingly young and naïve. JJ Field as Henry Tilney is not especially handsome, but he is charming. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, beautiful beautiful!, 26 April 2008
This review is from: Northanger Abbey [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
Since you are reading this review, you are obviously considering purchasing this Northanger Abbey production. In that case, I recommend it whole-heartedly. The photography is lovely and the acting is fresh and charming throughout, enhancing the fact that the story is about being young and getting out to see a bit of the world.

Those of you who have read the book know that the strongest character is actually the narrator, who, though ever-polite, oozes sarcastic distain of the "typical" romance novel in every chapter while unapologetically telling the absolutely simple story of her perfectly ordinary protagonists. In this production (although a narrator is not needed in film) a nod is made her existence with relatively soft-spoken cameo "appearances" at the beginning and the end.

I like to think that I am intellectual, and I know that I am a romantic sap, and this "Northanger Abbey" appeals to both head and heart (although, if I am completely honest, more to the latter than the former). I spend most of the time with an ear to ear grin as I watch the young and silly characters being young and silly. Then I cry when Cathy tells her mother that she has fallen in love.

Also the costumes and dances and all the other trappings of a period production are all very pretty and true to style.

I give this Northanger Abbey 2 thumbs up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rather a nice version, Catherine Morland is subtley charming, 22 July 2007
This review is from: Northanger Abbey [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
This is a nice version of one of Jane Austen's earliest novels. The cast is very well suited to their parts, most especially Catherine Morland and Mr Henry Tilney. Henry is amused and enchanted with Catherine's ingenuousness and shows the affection and attraction in equal parts rather nicely. The scheming Isabella is played beautifully too, lovely artfulness in every sly look.

Overall this was nicely presented, well acted, but my one small quibble is with the script.

The screenplay by Andrew Davies insists on putting it shakily into the regency with references to Byron (what for?) and later a reference to Vampires but they are unnecessary and certainly not appropriate for Jane Austen, there is enough strong and amusing dialogue in her novels to flesh out any part of this without resorting to inventing it.

An amusing story with much to amuse - well reflected in the film, but read the original story too. Austen has beautifully honed social satire and it is a joy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 23 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Northanger Abbey [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
This production was fantastic. Anyone who is thinking of buying this - do. The acting and casting was brilliant, the script true to the book; everything was absolutely perfect! This review is probably not very useful, but I'm just saying what I think! It was dark, and gothic in the correct places, just as it should be. Catherine and Henry made a beautiful couple, although I did spend most of the programme screaming at her for being so stupid. :D Like when she is conviced General Tilney killed his wife, and when she prattles on incontrollably at the theatre. But apart from that, I loved every second of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - JJ Fields was fantastic!, 23 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Northanger Abbey [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I bought this movie along with Persuasion. I have the 1987 BBC version which in my opinion was "crap" so I was not expecting too much from the new 2007 version. Much to my surprise, I was delighted with the movie.

Felicity Jones portrayed the innonence and curiosity of Catherience Morland pretty good. However, in my opinion, JJ Fields as Henry Tilney was superb! He had the charm and sincerity that he brought Tilney to life! His charm made the mood of the film "comedic" in a way. In my opinion, acting funny is much harder than being serious and angry and JJ Fields totally pulled it off.

The flow of the movie was much better than the 1987 version. I definitely recommend this movie to non-Austen fans. I'm glad I bought it and now I will be watching out for more JJ Fields.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 23 Aug. 2007
Lilacstar (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Northanger Abbey [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
This is by far the best of the ITV Jane Austen season! In my opinion it was the most faithful to the book which may not be that difficult since it is the shortest one. JJ Feild was excellent as Mr Tilney - he was every bit as charming as teasing as he was on paper. There was a good mix of humour and drama in this one and i definitely recommend it to everyone

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet adaptation thats well worth the watch!!, 31 May 2007
J. SCARROTT "me" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Northanger Abbey [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
After having read the book only a little while before seeing this, the plot was fortunately still fresh in my mind. The casting was ideal; Catherine as described in the book,was indeed young and naive looking and the plot was pretty accurate too considering it wasn't a particularly long programme. If you enjoyed this,you really should read the book as although this DVD is fantastic,the book is still better!!! Well worthwhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful and Heart-Warming - A Timeless Story!, 30 May 2011
This review is from: Northanger Abbey [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
This adaptation of Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey I enjoyed very much! The characters are loveable and some you won't like at all! But I assure you - it will bring you a deep satisfaction when you watch it!
I just want to say that the actors who play Catherine and Henry are very well suited to each other and I really enjoyed watching them together!
One of my favourite scenes is where Henry and Catherine go horse-riding to his house and then race back and there is that romantic scene between the two unsure lovers when Henry brushes some mud off Catherine's face and then they are interrupted - I love it! That's when I really started to like the two actors together. Another of my favourite characters is Eleanor Tilney. She was such a better friend to Catherine than Isabella and a very sweet character.

A really great thing that the film makers did put in that I enjoyed and thought was very good was Catherine's dreams about her Udulpho and Monk novels - with the people she knew taking place of the characters. I really enjoyed these in the film and don't think they spoiled it at all. Quite amusing to be honest!

I was also very happy that the producers of the film had changed hardly anything from the book's original story. So for all the die-hard Jane Austen fans, there is nothing to worry about because I was very pleased with this adaptation and as I am only 13 and have a lot more reading/watching of Jane Austen's masterpieces to go yet, I was satisfied and I highly recommend this to everyone!

Buy it now if you're a sucker for a good period drama romance and specifically love Jane Austen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth spendind a few pounds and 1h30 of your time, 3 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Northanger Abbey [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I have just watched it last night so I feel still in the atmosphere of this gorgeous film. This is so refreshing! It made me laugh and at the end I felt "renewed" whereas I was really tired at the beginning. I wanted to sing, to dance, to run in the streets.. so in a good mood I was!At least there is a wonderful adaptation of Northanger Abbey. The cast is exactly what it should be and I loved them all but I must say that JJ Field is really handsome, with his irresistible smile and sparkling eyes. Charming, teasing, clever, witty.. as the Henry Tilney of the novel.
I disagree with people who say that Catherine's dreams are beyond what you could expect from a girl of this period, or that the tempest is too much. That is excatly what is in the novel! Jane Austen enjoys to play with the gothic kind, and all of Catherine dreams, feelings and behaviour in the abbey are influenced by her reading and exaggerated. When you think that she comes alone, at night, in Mrs Tilney's room, whereas it's forbidden, and that she suspects a murder, that is quite a decidedly extreme attitude. And Jane doesn't give details about her dreams but I liked what they made. At this time young people couldn't really "experience" themselves before their wedding, so I am not shocked that after her first meeting with Henry Catherine sees him in a passionnate dream. In the novel she is attracted from the beginning and shows her preference to him, yet a little naively but without a want of concealing it.
The only regret I have is that as it's a 1h30 movie things go quikcly. John Thorpe's leaving and Isabella and James' engagement happen soon for einstance. And unfortunately the final scene is too short! But it is great one, tatally accorded to Henry and Catherine's nature. I have watched it 2 times last night and I will do it again.
It is a movie for Jane Austen fans, drama films, romance or simply for those who like to watch a good movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect :D, 23 Sept. 2007
Poppy (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Northanger Abbey [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I have read all of Jane Austen's novels and loved them all - particularly Northanger Abbey - so when this ITV adaptation came out I was very keen to see it. I can safely say that I was not disappointed!
This is definitely the best of the ITV adaptations, and it is my favourite of all the films made of Austen's books. The film captures the lively, playful attitude of the book perfectly, and all casting was excellent. Felicity Jones IS Catherine Morland, and Henry Tilney and Isabella Thorpe were also exceptional.

The dress and general styles of the film fitted in with the times, and virtually none of the original story was missing.
Despite being so true to the book, the film does have its own take on the story with scenes such as the dream sequences, which add a whole new element.

This film is a must have for all Jane Austen fans. You won't be disappointed!

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

Northanger Abbey [DVD] [2007]
Northanger Abbey [DVD] [2007] by Jon Jones (DVD - 2007)